I said "NO" to a GoldWing today... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Red face I said "NO" to a GoldWing today...

I must be sick or something. This bike was originally listed for $1800 ... then down to $1300. The guy emailed me today and told me that I could get it for even less than that. I asked the little lady about it, and she gave me the green light. Woohoo!!!

As I went to pickup the phone to call the guy and tell him I'd come over and give it a test ride before buying it ... well ... I got that gut-check thing. Something just didn't feel right inside.

WHAT?!?! What's that all about?!?!?! It's a BIKE, man! GO GET THAT FREAKIN' THING!!! But alas... I sipped on my cop of coffee for a minute. Then I emailed the guy and told him that the time just wasn't right.

Oh dag. This isn't a sign of maturity, is it???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:22 am

Re: I said "NO" to a GoldWing today...

Looks nice! I had a '78 almost just like that one. Vetter fairing, CCA luggage rack.
Ouch...just realized...that was...almost thirty years ago......................

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I must be sick or something. This bike was originally listed for $1800 ... then down to $1300. The guy emailed me today and told me that I could get it for even less than that. I asked the little lady about it, and she gave me the green light. Woohoo!!!

As I went to pickup the phone to call the guy and tell him I'd come over and give it a test ride before buying it ... well ... I got that gut-check thing. Something just didn't feel right inside.

WHAT?!?! What's that all about?!?!?! It's a BIKE, man! GO GET THAT FREAKIN' THING!!! But alas... I sipped on my cop of coffee for a minute. Then I emailed the guy and told him that the time just wasn't right.

Oh dag. This isn't a sign of maturity, is it???

Far be it from us to ever call you mature.

Probably the little voice in the back of your head saying, "What would I really do with a 30 year old GW? Yeah it's cool, but is it a passing fancy? And think of the farkles $1300 will buy for the new 2-wheeled cruise missle I want. Hmm, maybe I should have some more french roast..."

That, or it's just too much bike for you.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:33 am

I had a '76 the same color, but it had black Samsonite side bags instead. Used it to pull a huge camper trailer that made into a queen bed.

I sold it because I just graduated college and was working MORE than full time at a real job. Wrong bike at the wrong time. It sat bascially unused for several years... what a shame as it was an excellent bike. Smooth as silk.

Joe, you should just buy it as a Sunday driver!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Joe, you should just buy it as a Sunday driver!
That was my intention all along. That, and as a nice leetle winter project. You know, buffing those valve covers and what-not. But, it's just not meant to be I guess.
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Did you actually go look at the bike? I noticed that there seems to be a time lapse between the pics. The one pick of the close-up of the right side makes it look like it has the single carb conversion. The pick of the left side looks like it has the original 4 carb set up. I am not a 76 wing expert, but it could be a sign of something fishy. If you were meant to have it you would have bought it.

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 20th, 2008, 11:07 pm

And just what would you do with a GL1000 parked along side an LT? Do like I do, and wave to it every time you ride off on the LT. I've been thinking of selling my Wing for the same reason--would rather be riding the LT. Got a couple of extra Vetter fairings, and some body panels that I keep saying will be my 'winter project', but just never get around to them.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 6:41 am

Agree, would you really get any use out of it? I think that you knew the answer.....
The only GW that old that would interest me would be the original "naked" Gold Wing.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 8:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

A naked gw would be very cool to cruise on.

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 12:21 pm

If it's as good as it looks and runs the same I'd buy it, ride it until next July and sell it during Vintage days at Mid Ohio and make a few bucks on it.
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_k1200lt
And just what would you do with a GL1000 parked along side an LT?
Umm . . . I ride a GT. I got rid of that old man's bike years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Agree, would you really get any use out of it? I think that you knew the answer.....
The only GW that old that would interest me would be the original "naked" Gold Wing.
Yes, I would ride it. Especially since my GT is for sale and I'm not riding it anymore.

I'm definitely all about a vintage Wing being nekkid! They look ridulous and stoopid with all that old Vetter crap on them. That stuff was great back in the 70s. But now, it just ruins "the look".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in