Rocket III Touring - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Rocket III Touring

I just saw the new Rocket III Touring model in a Triumph dealership and I AM SMITTEN! Good looks, awsome power, great handling (for a cruiser), appears real comfortable.

Now understand Im not meaning to replace by beloved LT, but for a 2nd bike, hmmmm it would beat the Harley's I was looking at.

Does anyone on this forum have a Rocket III, specifically the Touring model?

Anyone know where I can find out more information

All of the major M/C rags have reviewed it, but it was a one day factory sponsored tide so their wasnt much in the ay of long term opinoins.

Im concerned with bad fuel mileage, coupled with a smallish fuel tank. I also want to know about the reliability of this tractor motor of an engine.

Any thoughts or opinoins?

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:11 pm

Re: Rocket III Touring

I know a few guys that have them, and they just love them. I have also toyed with the idea, but just could never seem to pull the trigger. Quite frankly, I might shop for a low-mileage Valkerie if one could be found ... over the Rocket III. Just some food for thought.

If you do end up with one, don't get too too intoxicated with it's power. They are fast, but they aren't THAT fast. I raced one with my Ninja ZX-11 every which was we could think of, and the Rocket III was simply no match for the Ninja.
post #3 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 12:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I raced one with my Ninja ZX-11 every which was we could think of, and the Rocket III was simply no match for the Ninja.
Including switching bikes?

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 3:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I rode one and think they're crap.

Come to think of it, I rode an RT recently and thought it was crap also.

Hard to please some people

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Including switching bikes?
Ya got me there. No, we did not switch bikes. But since I out-weighed the Rocket III owner by about 100 pounds, I'm not too sure that trading bikes would have made a difference.
post #6 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Ya got me there. No, we did not switch bikes. But since I out-weighed the Rocket III owner by about 100 pounds, I'm not too sure that trading bikes would have made a difference.
Back when I used to do such things........you could really school some guys on the launch and shifts. You know what I mean? (not saying your friend is one of those guys)

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 5:21 pm

I saw one recently. It looked... excessive. I think I'd buy a small car first.
post #8 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 5:37 pm

I rode one and was very impressed ... mostly by that beast of a motor.

You will be unimpressed with the handling and brakes compared to your LT. On the other hand, these are far superior to Harley handling/brakes.

The overwhelming impression is over the motor. Massive torque propels you like a Saturn V.

I also like the looks of the bike, but that's subjective.

I think if I were in the market for a new cruiser, I'd wait for the new 1600cc Triumph parallel twin scheduled to be intro'd at year's end.
post #9 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 5:46 pm

I talked to guy who had one and asked him about the demasculation of first gear. He was telling me there's a business out there called Tuneboy, kind of like a Power Commander, that gives you all of first gear. He couldn't figure out why anyone would want it with all the torque the thang pulls stock. I can.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

I got a lot more feedback than I expected, Thanks

Joe, I also used to own a zx11, what an awsome bike, but I dont think thats a fair comparison, most any sportbike made within the last 15 or 20 yrs will kill any cruiser out there

I have seen the pictures of the new 1600cc parallel twin from Triumph, it has potential, but Il hafta see it in the real.

Im thinkin I gotta head out to the dealer in Janesville, WI they have one for demo...

this could get expensive!

Tom
post #11 of 23 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 9:35 pm

My brother bought an early Rocket III in Tucson, and a took a little while for him to get here so I was forced to do his break in miles. The motor has a ton of torque, but the with the Triumph standard windshield, the buffeting was unbearable over 95mph, but again, not the touring model. I couldn't make out highway signs. I had to take corners at about 3/4 of the speed I normally take the LT. Handling was not great. In the end, I chose the LT more mornings than the Rocket. You can find out much more at http://www.triumphrat.net/

My brother ended up selling his and buying a Moto Guzzi Norge. He loves that bike. Unfortunately he did not buy it down here.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #12 of 23 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 9:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

I first saw the Rocket III at the local Triumph/Victory/Ducati dealer. It had the biggest @$%ing engine that I had ever seen on a motorcycle. A few weeks later, in March 2006, they had an Open House with demo rides.

They offered me a demo ride on the Rocket III, but the bike was so large that I didn't feel that I could safely handle it. I demo'd a Victory and a Ducati instead.

While I was there, I watched someone else drop the Rocket III. He was trying to waddle-turn it around in the tight parking lot. It leaned about one degree off from vertical, and that was that. Nobody was hurt. It took three guys from the dealer to raise it up and roll it away. That was the end of Rocket III demos for the day. Watching the other rider, I was glad that I followed my instincts and declined the demo ride. I wondered if the dealer really enforced the "rider responsibility for damages" part of the waiver form.
post #13 of 23 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 10:42 am Thread Starter

For disclosure purposes I have a bias towards the Triumph brand for reasons I really cant explain. I did demo ride a Rocket III a couple years ago, its big, but so am I and it wasnt too much for me to handle.

The engine makes power everywhere, and I always thought it would make a good touring crusier. Except for the lack of fuel capacity and low mpg, I think Triumph got it right from a style standpoint. The reviews say it has great handling as well, I guess Il hafta take one for a ride. I was glad to see they got rid of the fatass tire out back, Im getting sick of that look

Tom

Last edited by ahpd1992; Sep 19th, 2008 at 10:44 am. Reason: typo
post #14 of 23 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 12:26 pm

While riding in Canada earlier this summer, I stopped for the night at a motel where I struck up a conversation with 3 riders from Oregon. One was on a HD, one was on a 1200GS and the other on the Rocket III. We decided to ride together the next day. I am unable to vouch for the riding ability of the Rocket III pilot so I hesitate to reach firm conclusions about the bike. However, only on long straight stretches was he able to keep up and on our particular ride in the Okanagen we were mostly on some great twisties. Again, maybe it was the limitations of the rider not the bike, but I was certainly not impressed (other than by the awesome power and great looks--oh and it also looked like it would be comfortable .) So--power, looks and comfort seemed great but overall performance seemed lacking.
post #15 of 23 Old Sep 19th, 2008, 5:11 pm

See my post on the "Vision" thread - we had a Trumpet with us as well.

You may know that the designer is the same guy that designed the Valk for Honda - hence the similarities.. but the Interstate is/was a FAR better bike.

The Trumpet has more torque than anything else, but about the same HP as the Vision - so it scoots off the line, but the other bikes would out run it.

This was the only bike to give us trouble on the road - 1K from home, and 7K on the clock, the Rocket developed a head gasket leak - it was also the hottest ride when the outside air temp crossed 90.. And yes, about 160 miles on a tank was tops.

Hope that helps
post #16 of 23 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 9:17 am Thread Starter

The local Victory dealer her in Huntley has a used R3T w/ 1600miles on the clock for 14995. It has a backrest and engine guard w/ highway pegs. All in all a good deal compared to new, but of course it wont work in the budget at this time.

As a side I brought the wife w/ me and she loves the looks enough to trade the LT for it!!

What to do, what to do

Tom

Last edited by ahpd1992; Sep 21st, 2008 at 9:18 am. Reason: typo
post #17 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 1:50 pm

Disclosure: I currently own an '06 Rocket III Classic and an '08 R 1200 GS Adventure which follow many years of riding liter-class sport bikes almost exclusively.

If a sport bike is consistently beating an RIII off the line or through the first couple of gears the cause is either an extremely tricked sport bike (think 'busa turbo) or a fairly inept RIII pilot. But most sport bikes will begin erasing the RIII's launch advantage when the RIII hits 3rd gear and many will have caught the Triumph by the time the RIII hits 4th; from that point on up to top speed the sport bikes will easily best the Rocket. Aerodynamics prevent the RIII from performing well at high speeds, the profile it presents makes it a bit akin to pushing a brick wall through the air at high speed though that's little different than other cruisers.

The RIII handles surprisingly well but that's in large part due to its relatively low center of gravity. Lean angle is limited by the floorboards on the Classic and Touring models, mine have significant metal ground off the outside lower edge. The situation is a bit better on the standard RIII since it lacks floorboards but even there a slightly above average rider should have no trouble grinding the hero blobs off the pegs in fairly short order. The bike itself is more capable than its design allows. However that's the case with pretty much all low-slung cruisers ... which is to say that's pretty much the case with cruisers in general. I've yet to ride a cruiser whose cornering ability wasn't limited by foot pegs or some other bit that touched down before, usually well before, the limits of the bike's traction.

The idea that an RIII is going to suffer in the twisties compared to other cruisers is just silly. If anything it has an advantage because it's far easier and much quicker launching on exits than most anything else on the road. Riders who keep the RIII in the mid-high RPM range will make up on corner exits much of what they lose to their sport-touring companions (and surpass most cruiser riders) in pure cornering ability. There's a certain fluidity that comes from not having to dance on the gearshift through the twisties, that's purely a matter of torque on tap.

Weight might be an issue for some but the idea that the bike will flop uncontrollably on its side if a rider dares take it, "... about one degree off from vertical," is pure nonsense. Logically that can't be remotely true because if it were no one would be able to pick it up off its side stand, said stand supporting the Rocket at significantly more than one degree off vertical. When I purchased mine I ran into my sister (not literally) on her 600cc Shadow. She didn't even want to sit on the Rocket as she found its size intimidating ... err, bad pun not intended. But with a bit of coaxing I did manage to get her on the RIII at which time she picked it up off the side stand, rocked it gently from side-to-side a bit, grinned, and rode away on it (all 5'3" and 115# of her). When she (eventually) returned, with a huge stupid grin on her face, she commented that she found the bike very rideable but that she wouldn't want to wrestle it around every day in stop-and-go traffic. For her I think that's a fair comment but for average-sized and larger men I wouldn't think this would be an issue.

Where the weight might be an issue for some is in the twisties. If you're particularly small or weak you'll have trouble or tire out quickly from flicking the bike rapidly back and forth. It isn't a challenge but it is the one place where under normal riding conditions the weight of the bike is noticeable. Over a couple of days last spring I rode mine down the length of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway then did a half-dozen passes through Deal's Gap and headed home via the Cherohala Skyway; no fatigue here I'm something of a gym rat and bench a small car on good days. It's not a canyon carver and was never intended to be one. If that's what you're after pick up a middleweight or smaller sport bike and go at it. Right tool for the job and all that sort of thing y'know.

Mechanically mine's been flawless though with the rather amazing scope of the engineering project Triumph undertook in building this monstrosity I always make it a point to ask all other Rocket Captains that I run across about their experiences. Of course this is merely anecdotal evidence from a very limited subset including myself and a few other folks however I've yet to personally meet anyone who had a significant issue with an RIII. The worst identifiable pattern of mechanical failures out there is a cam chain gear on the earliest models that sometimes comes apart with catastrophic results for the engine. The moral of that particular story: don't buy an '04. Personally I'd skip the '05 models as well though the known shattering cam gear fault was corrected by then. FWIW the dealers I've spoken to (one BMW / Triumph and one Suzuki / Triumph / Victory) generally think that the Rockets are, if anything, slightly more reliable than average for the bikes leaving their shops. Heck, if I were worried about mechanical issues I'd never have bought that BMW GSA.

The RIII does run a bit warm. You will notice a bit of heat from the engine, particularly on warm days. The fan will run most of the time below 30 MPH on days above 70 degress or so. Personally I don't find the amount of heat bothersome or this behavior troubling but YMMV.

IMHO the Touring edition of the RIII is an abomination. The standard & Classic models feature a claimed 147HP & 143 ft-lbs of torque (which pretty much blows an aircraft-carrier-sized hole in the idea that the RIII is in any way, shape, or form "underpowered" as claimed above) but why Triumph would give up around 40 HP for very modest torque gains on the Touring model is beyond me. If I were speculating I'd guess it's because they put significantly narrower rubber on the Touring model (also a bad idea IMHO) and are worried about rear wheel slip. If you're considering an RIII Touring model, buy a Classic and slap on the Corbin Beetle Bags. You'll then have a better bike than the RIII Touring and will be lacking only that oh-so-vintage-looking tank speedo; a fair trade for a Sportster's worth of extra HP IMHO.

The neutering through the first 3 gears (~10% reduction on power via restrictions on the opening of the secondary butterflies) came about prior to RIII production when test riders commented on wheel slip. A couple of my sport bike riding friends, upon returning from rides on my bone stock RIII Classic, chastised me for failing to inform them that whacking the throttle really hard would indeed point the front wheel skyward and that it was entirely possible to break the back wheel loose on 1st/2nd and 2nd/3rd shifts on clean dry pavement if the rider was a bit aggressive with the bike. They very much enjoyed those sorts of hooligan antics but would have appreciated my telling them in advance that the RIII will act much like a sport bike if it is ridden like one. If for some reason actual measured RWHP in the low 130s (which is about where the claimed 147 HP models run on a dyno) is insufficient more is easily had. Drop the catalytic converter for a bypass pipe, install an underseat K&N filter, and use Tuneboy: to correct the factory-lean fuel / air mix, advance the ignition slightly, and remove the restrictions on the secondaries and you’ll be running high 140s on the dyno with more available if you want to hassle with a new exhaust. For the "too much is not enough" crowd there's a $6k bolt-on turbo that will bring the RWHP & torque both up over 200. Probably worth noting that a bone-stock RIII already has more HP & torque than a 96 cu-in HD with a similar turbo attached.

Personally I don't think that the RIII would be a good replacement for an LT. I'm not nearly cushy or pampered enough to need something like an LT or a 'wing but if I were it would be tough to go back to an unfaired bare bones rig like the Rocket. I did a 5k trip on mine with only Corbin bags and found that it worked just fine but then I don't mind rain, cold, buffeting, lack of GPS / stereo / intercoms /cupholders/etc. You LT riders purchased LTs for a reason, I doubt very much that you'd be happy with an RIII as a replacement. Triumph is still a fairly small marquee and the RIII is still a niche product so don’t buy one believing that you can outfit it like a full-on touring rig, the equipment just isn’t available even if you wanted to do it. Be very sure that you can get what you need to kit it out before you proceed.

So why buy an RIII at all? For me personally motorcycles succeed if they're a joy to ride. The RIII is that and more, it really is great fun and, unlike a lot of bikes I've owned, remains great fun a couple of years and many thousands of miles into the ownership experience. It's outrageous, eccentric and cartoonish in its proportions. It takes something of that sort of rider to enjoy one I think. Personally I hope none of you buy one as I do so hate to meet myself riding 'round the block.

Last edited by JohnGalt; Sep 22nd, 2008 at 5:48 pm.
post #18 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 8:37 pm

A fabulous review of the RIII Classic, and the issues with the Touring Version.

I own the first RIII delivered in Colorado, and have had no issues with it at all. I've done short touring on it, but it would never replace an LT or Wing, IMHO. Still, as crusiers go, it is still the most exciting and fun bike I've owned in that niche.

YMMV, probably does, and eventually will.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #19 of 23 Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

I must say John Galt, that was one helluva 1st post, and thank you for it. Better written than anything Ive been able to find on the web or from any of the M/C rags.

As for your concerns w/ the retuning of the r3t, I read on TRAT that the bike can be rechipped to the r3's state of tune. I dont know if thats true or not, but its interesting none the less.

How is your fuel mileage?

I sat on an r3t and I could easily replace my LT w/ one,. Except for cruise control I dont really use most of the do-hickeys on my LT. I listen to my Ipod thru headphones mostly, and thats about it, so I could go touring cruiser w/o much of a fuss.

I appreciate your input, even if I disagree w/ ur opinoin of the r3t

Tom

Last edited by ahpd1992; Sep 22nd, 2008 at 9:41 pm. Reason: typo
post #20 of 23 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 12:04 am

The remap of the R3T to regular R3 specs is even easier than a rechip. I don't believe there are any mechanical differences in the engine so you just plug the R3 into your laptop, run Tuneboy (~$400 from tunboy.com.au) and update the ECU with a regular R3 tune. Nothing could be simpler. The question I have is, "Given that Triumph neutered the regular R3 tunes for safety purposes, specifically to limit the possibility of unintended wheel slip, would upgrading an R3T and its smaller rubber to regular R3 specs be a good idea?"

For my money I'd prefer to have the wider tires of the R3 or R3 Classic rather than swapping a new tune into an R3T with its narrower rubber. Bags and windscreens are easy to add, wider rims ... not so much. But depending on your tolerance for being locked into single-source products even that may not be a great option as the last time I put tires on my RIII we were still awaiting a second manufacturer to commence production of tires for the model. As I said earlier: be sure you can find the sorts of options you require before jumping in; this extends even to necessities like tires.

I get around 30 MPG but my bike seems to have only three operating speeds: full throttle, emergency stop (or "Oh crap is that a cherry on top of that sedan?!?"), and speed limit + 30 MPH. YMM (and probably will) V. Others claim mid 30s which could be true but if they're getting 35 MPG on an RIII they're missing the entire point of owning one.

Cruise control is easy, $2 at your local Caterpillar industrial equipment dealer: there's a particular O-ring that sits neatly between the grip and the bar end weight on Triumphs (and probably a lot of other metric bikes). It'll engage with one finger and disengage with two after a bit of practice. When I pulled my trusty old Tiger into a loading bay at the Cat dealer in Oakland a salesman walked out and asked if I was there for a cruise control. Said they sold maybe a half-dozen of that part a year but then all of the sudden a dozen people on bikes were stopping by every week wanting to buy a few. Works like a charm and cheap enough to allow you to carry all the spares you want.

Tom I hope you realize that I was being more than a bit facetious above when discussing why an LT rider might want to think twice prior to trading their current mount for an R3. I would certainly never attempt to tell anyone what they should or shouldn't ride but there are some things to be aware of regarding the suitability of an R3 for a particular task. The R3 is a niche product and the pickings are slim as far as aftermarket options go. E.g., want 3-piece locking hard luggage for an R3 that isn't an R3T? Triumph won't sell you a set. Corbin's Beetle Bags are fantastic but their Streamliner tail trunk doesn't work with the Beetles on an R3 so you effectively get a 2-piece set if you go Corbin (a *nice* 2 piece set mind you). You can pull the rear seat and install a Rivco solo rack to which you can bolt a generic topbox small enough to miss the lids of the Beetles but it'll look like ass and you won't be carrying a passenger. K-Drive and Hepco & Becker make saddlebag mounts for the RIII but I'm not entirely certain what can be mounted on them. Point being that you should take nothing for granted in considering the R3 as even relatively simple things can be tough to come by. Me personally I think if my R3 had a turbocharger and a set of knobby tires it would be the cat's meow but so far I'm the only one who believes that. Lots of R3 options are like that: you can get part way there but finding just what you want may prove an impossible task. It's just a function of market size though, it's bound to get better.

Edit: If you want more of the good, the bad, and the ugly regarding the R3 check out the intermittently warring clans at r3owners.com and r3owners.net; both splintered off from TRat a few years ago and have lodged and begun to fester elsewhere on the 'net. Good folks, if you need thoughts or ideas they'll help.
post #21 of 23 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 10:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
Disclosure: I currently own an '06 Rocket III Classic and an '08 R 1200 GS Adventure which follow many years of riding liter-class sport bikes almost exclusively.
Weight might be an issue for some but the idea that the bike will flop uncontrollably on its side if a rider dares take it, "... about one degree off from vertical," is pure nonsense. Logically that can't be remotely true because if it were no one would be able to pick it up off its side stand, said stand supporting the Rocket at significantly more than one degree off vertical. When I purchased mine I ran into my sister (not literally) on her 600cc Shadow. She didn't even want to sit on the Rocket as she found its size intimidating ... err, bad pun not intended. But with a bit of coaxing I did manage to get her on the RIII at which time she picked it up off the side stand, rocked it gently from side-to-side a bit, grinned, and rode away on it (all 5'3" and 115# of her). When she (eventually) returned, with a huge stupid grin on her face, she commented that she found the bike very rideable but that she wouldn't want to wrestle it around every day in stop-and-go traffic. For her I think that's a fair comment but for average-sized and larger men I wouldn't think this would be an issue.
"John" --

Great review. Great first time post.

For the record, I took artistic license about the "one degree". What is true is that the demo rider struggled to u-turn the RIII in a tight parking lot situation. The bike started to lean just a little, and he couldn't prevent it from falling over. Clearly, the rider had zero experience on the RIII, and I don't know how much experience he had, period.

I wish you many years of great riding on your RIII. It isn't the bike for me, but that's why there are so many different kinds of bikes out there.
post #22 of 23 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

John,

I know u weren't all that serious about the LT rider comment. I am pretty flexible, I believe the definition of a touring bike is "any bike you go touring on".

Your comments on the r3 v r3t are very accurate. As far as handling though, big rear tires are only good for straight line stability. If any type of twisties are on the menu then what you need is a more sensible sized tire in the back, no larger than a 200, but preferably less than that. Il agree if your launching the bike in any straight line then the larger rear tire is better, if not then fat tires impead turning.

I like the r3t because of all of the frame and suspension redesigns.
The saddlebags appear very roomy and the fit and finish of the bike appears top notch. Looks of course are a matter of opinion and I was never a fan of the dual headlight look of the r3. The exhaust pipes were awful and the upside down fork didnt look right to me. I understand the r3 is different and thats what appeals to most of the buyers, Im just a little more mainstream.

Il go ahead and say it, the r3t looks like a HD Road King w/ that awesome 2.3 liter triple spooned in the frame. I like the package Triumph has put together, I wonder what other tricks are up their sleeve in the future.

Tom
post #23 of 23 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
For the record, I took artistic license about the "one degree". What is true is that the demo rider struggled to u-turn the RIII in a tight parking lot situation. The bike started to lean just a little, and he couldn't prevent it from falling over. Clearly, the rider had zero experience on the RIII, and I don't know how much experience he had, period.
I'd assumed as much and I sincerely hope you didn't take offense at my having a bit of fun with your artistic license.

There are plenty of perfectly good reasons not to buy an RIII, beginning of course with the fact that I do so hate to meet myself coming 'round the block, but for an LT rider weight shouldn't be one of them. IIRC the RIII Classic has a claimed dry weight of just over 700#, the RIIIT just under 790#, and a quick check of the spec sheet shows the present LT with a claimed dry weight of just over 760#.

The RIII is big but not unweildy though I certainly do understand how someone who'd not been on one could lose control in a parking lot. I wish I could claim that I'd never pulled into a parking lot, planted a foot (in oil, mud, a hole, etc.), done a split that would make a college cheerleader blush ... to the sound of the crotch ripping out of my pants naturally, and watched an unfamiliar bike, from an odd angle just adjacent to the bike's final resting place, crash slowly to the ground to the mellow sounds of shattering plastic and scraping metal. But alas, if I claimed such a thing I'd be a liar.

And, sadly, I am now in a position to compare directly the reliability of Hinkley Triumphs to BMWs:

Hinckley Triumphs Owned: 3
Total Miles Ridden: ~120,000
Failures Requiring Towing: 1 (faulty clamp on gas line in tank of T595 Daytona on way home from dealer; recall already in place, dealer blew it by failing to correct problem prior to putting bike on the road)

BMWs Owned: 1
Total Miles Ridden: 653
Failures Requiring Towing: 1 (EWC fault)

Here's hoping the average reliability of my new GSA is as good as my Triumphs have been.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in