MotoGP final Day - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

MotoGP final Day

Not much here but Race Day none the less.

http://john-njudy.smugmug.com/galler...74110576_YtLVr

Stunt riders, track drying, and the start of the MotoGP race T1, T3.

Returned to Cincinnati Sunday night to no power anywhere. Helped repair a roof, then headed out Monday morning for home in NC. Hooked up with six guys from Jax, Fla. They were haulin butt home so I tagged along. 1 Blackbird, 2 FJR's, 2 C-14's, and an ST1300. Good guys on a mission to get home.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:55 am

Re: MotoGP final Day

Nice pics. The stands are so large it is hard to get a feel for the size of the crowd. Did you get a feel for whether the event was a success? Think they are coming back? Would you go again?

Thanks.

Pete

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #3 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 11:33 am

The Indy Motor Speedway never releases attendance numbers, but I think I heard the announcers say 98 thousand attendees in the rain (don't remember if it was on the race broadcast or the local news). They were astonished they'd gotten a number released, but they think it came from the MotoGP folks and not the speedway itself.

The local news coverage has claimed it to be a success, especially with all the local parties that went on with it (shutting down streets downtown every night for motorcycle only, etc). It seemed to get more attention and reaction that the F1 races garnered, at least recently.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy

post #4 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen
Nice pics. The stands are so large it is hard to get a feel for the size of the crowd. Did you get a feel for whether the event was a success? Think they are coming back? Would you go again?

Thanks.

Pete
I will say that alot of premium tix were sold out-I really wanted to go, but
considering I lost power 15 min into the race-I guess I needed to be home.
I t looked like alot of no-shows on TV though.

Mike
post #5 of 17 Old Sep 17th, 2008, 9:37 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjessen

Thanks.

Pete
I have no idea if the event was truly a success for Indy. But, I would say it certainly was a success. I had a ton of people around me in the stands that had no idea what motorcycle roadracing was all about. I also ran into these same type of folks all around the track.

What was awesome for these folks, including my step son, was that they really appreciated the fact that if they had to sit through the rain, that at least the riders will perform for them, period. I heard several people predicting a red flag as soon as a couple drops of rain fell. These were race day only folks that didn't see practice on wet Friday.

Also, for example, during the Rookie cup race on Saturday, when a guy fell in T2 and remounted to continue the chase, all the fans cheered. And when he came by each successive lap and was gaining ground on those in front of him, they cheered. When he crashed a second time in T2 everyone sighed and cheered as he got up and quit the race. They just weren't use to seeing racers crash and continue on. Great stuff.

The Indy layout is excellent from a riders perspective of run off and high speed corners, passing opportunities, and track width.

Now this isn't specific to Indy, but, for me, the biggest thrill this weekend was all the jumbotrons. This is my first live race in many years and although I love roadracing, it is a poor spectator sport due to the limited viewing of all the action. The jumbotrons fix all that.

The stands we were in were great to see the whole front straight, T!, T2, T3, T4 and entrance to T5.

Yea, they're coming back next year. I probably won't go. Only reason I went this year was to see MotoGP at least once, especially the inaugural Indy. I've seen enough racing in my years to last me, the TV does a fine job when available. This was a special occasion

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 6:45 am

I was a vendor there, just a short distance from the main entrance and I can tell you first hand from a business prospective this event was a total failure. There's no way in hell that there were 90,000+ people there on Sunday. Maybe if you count all four days and that's including Thursday which was free. From our est. maybe they had 40K on race day. Most of the people I talked to were disappointed with the event even though they were very impressed with the sights and sounds of the Moto GP bikes and riders. Most vendors inside the track lost money due to the riducules 6K charge for a garage space (20' x 20') which is where the vendors were located. I think they really need an AMA Super Bike race as another support race to make this event successful. The speedway has a contract for 3 years to run this, without some major changes I predict this event will go the way of F1.
post #7 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 3:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
I was a vendor there, just a short distance from the main entrance and I can tell you first hand from a business prospective this event was a total failure. There's no way in hell that there were 90,000+ people there on Sunday. Maybe if you count all four days and that's including Thursday which was free. From our est. maybe they had 40K on race day. Most of the people I talked to were disappointed with the event even though they were very impressed with the sights and sounds of the Moto GP bikes and riders. Most vendors inside the track lost money due to the riducules 6K charge for a garage space (20' x 20') which is where the vendors were located. I think they really need an AMA Super Bike race as another support race to make this event successful. The speedway has a contract for 3 years to run this, without some major changes I predict this event will go the way of F1.
I had not heard-is F1 dead at Indy?? If yes thats a shame

Mike
post #8 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 3:22 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I go for the racing and that's it. Other's should try it. The only reason an AMA event would be good support is due to the ignorance of American spectator's relative to the 250 and 125 guys. The 250 and 125 racing is much better, and probably faster lap times.

The US of A is lucky to get a Motogp race at all.

The racers liked the track. That's good enough for me.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #9 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 6:52 pm

Actually we have two Moto GP's. Laguna Seca uses Super Bike as a support race. They also have higher attendance figures and that's really saying something since they have a huge logistic problem with moving people in and out of the place. I watched Super Bike last year at Mid Ohio and I'd say they put on one helluva race. I just didn't think Indy lived up to all the hype.
post #10 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowofshoe
I had not heard-is F1 dead at Indy?? If yes thats a shame

Mike
That's correct they no longer race F-1 at Indy. A couple of years ago there was a driver boycott for the race due to tire problems and only a few cars raced......the fans were really pissed. Then the following year they pretty much had to give away tickets to get people to come. I believe that this is the second year that F1 has been away. There is talk of it coming back to the states in 2010 but no mention as to where. I hope it is not Indy. I can only dream that it will go back to it's rightful venue in Watkins Glen, NY. If it does I can assure you I'll be there!
post #11 of 17 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:25 pm

The weather played quite a factor in attendence. A race in Indy in Sept. is bound to be rainy. An Aug. or Jul. date would be better. I was there all four days. As for the Thursday a total waste time. Friday rain running was kinda neat. At the end of Saturday I was thinking this would be my last time at the race. But Sunday changed my mind very exciting. I'll go back next year if I still live nearby. I'll never set foot in the Ducaca area again. They were giving away lanyards and ticket protectors. I asked for one they said I could only get one if I owed a Ducaca. I said I had money to buy one and the guy got real uppity with me. So I politely told him that if the pissy attitude came with ownership I would never own one. I wish bowlesj could have got a pic of the Yamaha tent post race. It was ripped to shreads the wind was howling. I was sitting on the straightaway and one of the plastic tables for the ritzy folk in the upper stands blew off and nearly hit a guy under the seats getting some grub. I would rather see F1 come back although I would likely go to both. Honestly I'd like to see Canadian, US at Indy. and a North American Gran Prix. The cost would be less (the sites have to pay to have the cars moved overseas) with a three way split. And the North American could be at different venues. Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, allong with many other exelent places. Moto GP at Indy, Yeah I'd do it again. Even in the rain.

Ray Marks

The only safe intersection is the one you just passed.

2002 LTE My Blue Mistress
post #12 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 6:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymarks
Honestly I'd like to see Canadian, US at Indy. and a North American Gran Prix. The cost would be less (the sites have to pay to have the cars moved overseas) with a three way split. And the North American could be at different venues. Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, allong with many other exelent places. Moto GP at Indy, Yeah I'd do it again. Even in the rain.
I like your idea, maybe you and I should be running F1 here instead of Bernie E. It's absolutely ridculious that there's only one race in North America. Maybe if they go back to Indy they would use the Moto GP course so they wouldn't have the tire issues. I hopping before I die I'll get a chance to see F1 cars go back the Glen again. Hopefully I'll out live Bernie and the new boss will be a little open minded.
post #13 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 7:32 am

Quote:
Actually we have two Moto GP's. Laguna Seca uses Super Bike as a support race. They also have higher attendance figures and that's really saying something since they have a huge logistic problem with moving people in and out of the place.
Just an FYI... Having attended Laguna Seca last year and this year, I can tell you that this year's event (IMO) was as smooth as silk. They have worked very hard on the issue of getting fans in and out of the area. I'm happy to report that I think the systems and routes that they have in place now has solved the issues of the past.

I won't be able to attend MotoGP next year at Laguna Seca because it is scheduled during the 4th of July weekend. My family traditions are more important than the race. I guess that means that I'll have to look into attending Indy.
post #14 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 7:59 am

Quote:
I like your idea, maybe you and I should be running F1 here instead of Bernie E. It's absolutely ridculious that there's only one race in North America. Maybe if they go back to Indy they would use the Moto GP course so they wouldn't have the tire issues.

Actually the motoGP course is the F1 course, run backwards. They did add the twisties in turn one (turns 1-4 on the MotoGP) that weren't there for the F1, but other than that, it's the track they ran on, just going the other way.

By the way, NASCAR was out testing tires here yesterday too. They got into some tire issues at the Brickyard this year and weren't prepared either. Maybe we ought just make Indy like one of those go-cart slick tracks...that way nobody complains about the tires!

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #15 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch102
Actually the motoGP course is the F1 course, run backwards. They did add the twisties in turn one (turns 1-4 on the MotoGP) that weren't there for the F1, but other than that, it's the track they ran on, just going the other way.
Those twisties that were added would help the F1 cars since the problems they had with tires were a result of such high speed and g's for a fairly long period of time. There are better courses in this country to run F1.
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 9:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Just an FYI... Having attended Laguna Seca last year and this year, I can tell you that this year's event (IMO) was as smooth as silk. They have worked very hard on the issue of getting fans in and out of the area. I'm happy to report that I think the systems and routes that they have in place now has solved the issues of the past.

I won't be able to attend MotoGP next year at Laguna Seca because it is scheduled during the 4th of July weekend. My family traditions are more important than the race. I guess that means that I'll have to look into attending Indy.
I'm glad to hear it as Laguna was heavily criticised for this in the past . I talked to many vendors who attended both and to put it simply from a business stand point there simply is no comparison between the two.
This year Laguna was the same time as the MOA national, have they moved the date to July4?
post #17 of 17 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 10:24 am

I've been to both(Laguna 4times)And have to say Indy was defiantly easier.Easier to get in and out of,easier to get around the facility/track and could see more of the track/race. Laguna defiantly is more suited for sight seeing but, the over priced hotels and restaurants more than make up for that!!! It's cool that the USA seems to be able to support 2 races and I look forward too going back to both races in the future. FYI...Indy's 09 date is the same weekend as CCR Oh well...its only 1000+ miles to the track from the "Black Hills" Also I don't see anyone talking about the "Indy Mile".That was the best race of the weekend and that event really separates the two GP's IMHO

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in