Pothole at 70mph - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Pothole at 70mph

Coming home from Knoxville this Saturday I was riding north on I75 between Knoxville and Lexington, Ky when I hit a very bad pothole at around 70MPH.

I hit, but the tire held and I was able to keep the bike straight. The mirrors popped right off and flew down the interstate behind me. Im down a pair of underwear, but otherwise the bike seems ok as I rode it the rest of the way back to Illinois.

I was able to recover the mirrors and popped them back on. The left side mirror is cracked, but I can still see out of it, both mirror housings are beat up from tumbling down the interstate.

Two questions:

Anyone know how much a new set of mirrors and housings will cost?

Is there any other damage I should be looking for?

As I said I did continue to ride for another 400 + miles after the hit so the bike appears fine, but who knows. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:39 pm

Re: Pothole at 70mph

I feel your pain. I safety wired my mirrors on after knocking one off in the garage just by bumping into it with my arm. I am still aggravated they don't come with catch wires since they are designed to pop off easily. But safety wire would have saved yours so it's worth the five minutes to do it. BTW I put the GS mirrors on mine as well as I never did like looking down at mirrors as it takes your eyes away from the road ahead. The GS mirror stalks go right in the holes already there with a tad of reaming on the left side and the nuts are available at the parts counter. Simple installation and they don't pop off when you hit a bump.

AS for other issues , you might want to have you tech check out the fork seals but they should have been able to handle one hard knock like that.

Sorry mate, I feel your pain. Some of these thing can be daunting at times. Just yesterday I came upon a jagged pothole or more like tear in the concrete and could not believe my tire survived it. Scared the shit out of me.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #3 of 17 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:55 pm

I'd have the wheel checked (may be bent) as well as all the front end components. There have been previous posts such as yours that have included broken welds and other suspension damage.

post #4 of 17 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 11:48 pm

+1 regarding checking the wheel. On my previous LT, I hit a pothole at much lower speed and bent the rim. Needed straghtening.

Otherwise no problem - although you really should add safety wires for the new mirrors.

When you get home, check the part numbers at http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do, then check with dealers. If you want lowest cost, visit the site of www.chicagobmwmotorcycle.com - they are often (not always) low-price leaders; however, they accomplish that by not stocking, you may have to wait for a few weeks.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 1:19 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
Don't shoot me - they are $350 each.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 3:05 am

I just had something similar happen to one of my mirrors. I located the part numbers and replaced just the parts off the mirror I needed to. It took about two weeks to get the parts in from Chicago BMW.

The only other thing I can add is to keep and eye on your front tire. My front tire had the (can't think of the right word) lining of the tire separated about a month after I hit a pothole really hard. I was riding along and started to feel a vibration. When I slowed to a stop it felt like something was in the tread. When I checked the tire I could see a bulge in the tread. When I changed the tire you could feel that the area was much softer then the rest of the tire.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #7 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 6:11 am

There are many ways to teather the mirrors. I just use a small piece of cord (rope).
Glad you stayed upright.

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #8 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahpd1992
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
They're a LOT cheaper if you go to an LT rally, and there happens to be an LT there that's the same color as your LT.
post #9 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 6:59 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
That price is "IF" you have chrome bodies the "Black" ones are $195.00 each. This I know as my dealer ordered the chrome ones my mistake for my black one that was broke after hitting a dear.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx
I feel your pain. I safety wired my mirrors on after knocking one off in the garage just by bumping into it with my arm. I am still aggravated they don't come with catch wires since they are designed to pop off easily. But safety wire would have saved yours so it's worth the five minutes to do it. BTW I put the GS mirrors on mine as well as I never did like looking down at mirrors as it takes your eyes away from the road ahead. The GS mirror stalks go right in the holes already there with a tad of reaming on the left side and the nuts are available at the parts counter. Simple installation and they don't pop off when you hit a bump.

AS for other issues , you might want to have you tech check out the fork seals but they should have been able to handle one hard knock like that.

Sorry mate, I feel your pain. Some of these thing can be daunting at times. Just yesterday I came upon a jagged pothole or more like tear in the concrete and could not believe my tire survived it. Scared the shit out of me.
Reaming?

I've never mounted the GS mirrors but there is no reaming needed with the RS mirrors... they are a direct bolt on.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 10:26 am Thread Starter

I called Cycle Werks in Barrington (my closest dealer) and was told the mirrors are no longer sold as a package, so Il hafta piece em together.

The good news is I only NEED to replace the cracked glass on the left mirror, which is in stock for $29 so Il get that today.

Interstingly I talked to the service manager and he told me if the tire held and the rim is straight and undented, I should be all good. So I know I can still ride, but I have to LOOK at the damaged mirror housings. I think Il probably just replace em with black ones and save the money, I was never a fan of chrome anyway. It appears Il hafta piece the whole thing together and I can salvage parts from what I have. Heres an interesting thing, the small part of the housing that painted, is $165 each! WOW

As far as putting GS mirrors on, I tried putting mirrors from a r1100r on, but couldnt quite get them on correctly. I guess Il try again.

As always thanks for the input, after this happened all I kept thinking about was looking for GS Adventure, but Ive since calmed down. The LT has been the best bike I have owned so far and fits my needs. Now its just a matter of how much $$ I want to put into a 10 year bike, that may soon not be made any longer.

Tom
post #12 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:32 am

Sorry to read about your mirrors, Tom.
I fastened mine with 1/4" leather cord I bought from a craft store for <$10.
It seems to work well. I even left 6" hanging down through the vent for affect. Fortunately I have not had to test these with a real incident.
post #13 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 5:28 pm

Be sure to keep an eye on your fork seals - I blew out both of mine on a pothole at CCR this year (GT, not LT).

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #14 of 17 Old Sep 16th, 2008, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Reaming?

I've never mounted the GS mirrors but there is no reaming needed with the RS mirrors... they are a direct bolt on.
All the mirrors are the same BS the old style R models etch. There is not even a left and right part all the same. However the casing that houses the Switch gear on both sides of the handlebars seems to have casting differences left to right that makes the dropping in and bolting on of the mirrors on the RT to need a smidgeon of reaming out of the bottom hole on that casting. I found on mine and a friend found the same on his 08 model that the left hand hole was just slightly too small for the threaded shaft to
make it through the hole.

I also warn those who do this to err on the side of caution for it is almost big enough for the threads to go through so do not over ream it out. I think I took a tiny bit too much off and had I gone further would have ruined it .

Now you may have had a casting on an older model that dropped right in with no problem and I don't doubt that for a second as my older R model did not require reaming as the mirrors were already on it.

Does that clear up my statement for you ?

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #15 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 4:37 pm

A fellow Lt rider hit a pothole on I95 in NC. One mirror came off. He pulled over went back to find his mirror. There it was in the grass, along side another LT mirror. Pretty funny.

Howard Dusenbery 2000 K1200LTC
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:02 pm

fishing leaders make good cheap tethers!

Also check with LTParts.com for replacement mirrors. Tony has good prices.
He sells used parts from salvaged LTS.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #17 of 17 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 7:12 pm

+1 on the fishing line, works great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in