Replacement grips - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:33 am Thread Starter
WAL

Question Replacement grips

I have an 01 LT that I would like to replace the rubber on the hand grips as they are torn and cracked. I have read about the Grip Puppies and that may be an option after replacing the original grips. Anyone have ideas on what will fit and what will last the longest and still be able to use the grip heaters. I never have really liked the stock grips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:48 am
Ted

Re: Replacement grips

Replacing the stock grips with new stock grips is a bit of an involved procedure if you are not replacing the heating elements, and can be expensive if you are replacing the heating elements.

If your heating elements still work, I'd recommend getting some good duct tape (like Gorilla) and wrap it around any of the stock rubber grip splits to make them even, and then apply the Grip Puppies (the small size) over them. The heat does come through, although it's not quite as hot.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:14 am

I just covered mine with foam grips, $5 (for a set, dont buy 2 and get 4)
www.boneyardbeemer.com
Slide on, grips look new again, feel great.

If you want my second set (bought4) drop me your address, I'll mail them
free of charge.

[email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:47 am
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapleford
I just covered mine with foam grips, $5 (for a set, dont buy 2 and get 4)
www.boneyardbeemer.com
Slide on, grips look new again, feel great.

If you want my second set (bought4) drop me your address, I'll mail them
free of charge.

[email protected]
I think that link should be...

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:36 pm

I love my grip puppies... best $8.00 no shipping, I ever spent on the bike... look up California Sport Touring.

Mine have had over a year and cannot tell from new... and the grip heater still works great too.

If it were me, I would try to put the Grip Puppies on over the old grips, but that is just me.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 4:57 pm

Bustedknuckles, aka Sugarcookie, put some aftermarket grip on his LT and they were very cool. They might have been the grip puppies... ask him about it and he'll steer you in the right direction!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #7 of 10 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 9:00 am

Follow this one down to around #10 or #11.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29718

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 9:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz
I love my grip puppies... best $8.00 no shipping, I ever spent on the bike... look up California Sport Touring.

Mine have had over a year and cannot tell from new... and the grip heater still works great too.

If it were me, I would try to put the Grip Puppies on over the old grips, but that is just me.
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and got those. I soaked them in very hot water for 20 minutes then put liquid dish soap and they slid on fairly easy. Using a towel helps keep your hands from slipping.

I decided not to cut the left one that is longer out due to my PTT button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	23280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	23281  

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #9 of 10 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I have a 2002 LT with the heated grips. I found a thread on this site indicating that if you order two of the left, non-heated grips they will slip over the heating elements that remain after removing the old rubber.

I followed the advice and they worked like a champ. They were just a "tad" shorter, but nothing that causes problems. Since the throttle on the 2002 is so stiff, I did need to use grip glue to keep the grip from spinning on the right side.

I didn't save the part numbers, but I got them off of the A&S online parts fiche and then verified them with the dealer. They are probably in a post somewhere in this forum. Make sure the dealer understands that you need two "lefts" and not a pair.
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 8th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chordoran
I have a 2002 LT with the heated grips. I found a thread on this site indicating that if you order two of the left, non-heated grips they will slip over the heating elements that remain after removing the old rubber.

I followed the advice and they worked like a champ. They were just a "tad" shorter, but nothing that causes problems. Since the throttle on the 2002 is so stiff, I did need to use grip glue to keep the grip from spinning on the right side.

I didn't save the part numbers, but I got them off of the A&S online parts fiche and then verified them with the dealer. They are probably in a post somewhere in this forum. Make sure the dealer understands that you need two "lefts" and not a pair.
Chordoran you need to do the throttle upgrade to an 05 + set now
I did it on my 02 and it made the bike faster Plus my right forearm shrank.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in