Heated seat help. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Heated seat help.

I just bought my 99LT that didn't have a heated seat when I got it. I bought one because the previous owner had canabalized the original seat. I can't seem tho find the plug in on the bike end though. Could someone please tell me where it is? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Re: Heated seat help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVbeemer
I just bought my 99LT that didn't have a heated seat when I got it. I bought one because the previous owner had canabalized the original seat. I can't seem tho find the plug in on the bike end though. Could someone please tell me where it is? Thanks.

As seated on the bike, raise the seat and the plug should be located near the left side frame member, near the front left of the seat. I'll see if I can find a pic and post it.

Here is a pic of the area:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.gif
Views:	75
Size:	445.9 KB
ID:	19602  

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by cccpastorjack; Sep 11th, 2008 at 8:03 pm.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 9:32 pm

Welcome to the site! Loads of great info and great folks here; I see you've already "met" one of the best.

You may not have a connector for a heated seat, depending on the trim level of your bike. In 1999 there were three trim levels: Standard, Icon and Custom. With the early '99s, only the Customs were prewired for heated seats. If your bike does not have chrome trim (mirrors, etc.), it's not a Custom. Later in the model year BMW changed the wiring harness so that all the bikes were prewired for the seats.

I have an early '99 Icon. I purchased a used heated seat and tried to install it; not only did I not have the connector for the seat, there's an empty slot in the fuse box where the heated seat circuit should be.

l learned that BMW offered a wiring harness extension to connect the heated seat to these bikes. $150 bucks or something; I purchased a grab bag of BMW electrical parts on eBay because it included one of these things. I had plugs and a relay; looked really great, except no one could figure out where the blasted thing connected to the bike! Even my local dealer's service department was stumped.

Refusing to be defeated, I cobbled up a temporary connection with a BMW plug. Later on I added an auxiliary fuse block and wired up my seat that way. I'm pretty cold natured so I really enjoy the warm seat in the Winter. Or early Spring. Or late Fall. Or mid-Autumn when you leave early in the morning...you get the idea.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. After I had posted my question I read a few threads on seats. Wcarter I wish I would have read your repley first. At least I know how the left side of the bike comes apart now. I do not have chrome mirrors and will be installing a aux fuse block. Did you hook yours up to switched power or constant? Thanks.

Eric
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 7:13 am

I think you would want switched power. If you didn't you could walk away from it, still leaving it on, and come back to a dead battery. I've left mine on as I've made a quick trip to get inside the building on cold mornings.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 9:14 pm

Switched power definitely. When I had the heated seat plugged into the socket (which is an unswitched circuit) I left the seat on and came back to find my battery dead.

I used the Centech AP-1, available from a variety of sources. I purchased mine from Eastern Beaver in a kit that included a wiring harness and relay. By attaching the relay trigger to a switched circuit, the fuse box only has power when the bike is on. Looks like they are phasing out the Centech products but they still have the relay kits. Link: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...fuseboxes.html

Here's another option that came out after I purchased my Centech; you can choose to connect your accessories as switched or unswitched by positioning the fuse: http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

The Eastern Beaver kit uses a Posi-Tap on the relay trigger wire. That was my first experience using Posi-Taps and they are great. I bought a package of them at O'Reilly Auto Parts for other installations.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in