Rode a Goldwing today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Rode a Goldwing today

A friend stopped by and I took out his 2002 Goldwing for a spin.
A first for me after riding over 30,000 miles on a LT.
Right off I noticed the obvious available increase of power,
Center of gravity is lower so slow speed handling seemed to be better.
The controls were loaded with all kinds of switches and made the LT controls seem very simple. I found myself looking down at the panel / controls rather than forward like on the LT. I think the LT could take the Goldwing in the corners. The Wing reminds me of a big Ol' stationwagon.

Made me feel good with the LT.
I'll keep my cowbell rear brake and play the Lotto with my rear drive !!!

LFranz
2004 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Re: Rode a Goldwing today

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFranz
The controls were loaded with all kinds of switches and made the LT controls seem very simple. I found myself looking down at the panel / controls rather than forward like on the LT. I think the LT could take the Goldwing in the corners. The Wing reminds me of a big Ol' stationwagon.

LFranz
2004 LT
Hey Larry,
You're one up on me. I've not had a ride on a Goldwing. Guess I should do that just to know what you and others are talking about.
Thanks for the post.
See ya! Vern

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 24 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:52 pm

Re: Rode a Goldwing today

I have always liked test riding GW and keeping LT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFranz

LFranz
2004 LT

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #4 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 7:59 am

My wife and I test rode a Gold Wing at Americade in June. We both loved it. Keeping my 05 LT until the new ones come out, If BMW doesn't change some things on the new LT's, a GW is in our future. Chuck.
post #5 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 8:19 am

I have ridden a GW several times alone as well with my wife. They are different rides and some of the stuff just takes time to get use too. But my wife and I would rather ride the LT. The LT has a smoother air flow for both of us (with the CB #2) and better position for her and me on the bike.

As for power the GW wins hands down. But we did some drag racing the other day and found that the GW got a 20ft jump off the line but at the end I caught up to them and was going to pass before we ran out of road. In the turns the LT will do better, even though the GW is very good the LT just does better.

My overall would be to say the GW is a good bike, and I can't fault anyone for wanting or driving one. It just isn't for me. I like my LT and plan to stay with it.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #6 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:27 am

To me it feels like you are "sitting" in a Goldwing and "riding" on an LT. At my height (6'3") the Lt fits better. The LT just feels sportier, less boxy. You just have to wind out the LT and it will hang with the GW. Both are great bikes!
post #7 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:58 am

The LT is a sporty tourer and the Goldwing is just a tourer. Depends what you want, both great bikes.
post #8 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 3:27 pm

Before purchasing my LT I test rode a GW 1st, on the same day. After ten minutes on the LT all I could do was, think about the GW, laugh about the GW, and forget about the GW. All jokes aside though, I have to agree with Caveno, the LT definitely has the "Sport Tourer" catagory covered.
post #9 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 3:38 pm

I recently did a loooong tour on a wing and really enjoyed it with a bunch of other riders ( LT ) included.

You guys may enjoy this report I wrote...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39282
post #10 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 6:50 pm

GWs are very good bikes. I've ridden one on 4-5 occasions for probably a total of 1,500 miles or so. Pure power, delightful ride and comfort, more than adequate handling for almost any road you want to take one down. With all of that said I have to ask myself why I just plain do not like them!

The best I can come with is probably not very rational but here it is. My Dad buys a brand new Mercury Marquis every couple of years. I've driven them and ridden in his with him and he has never had any trouble out of them, they ride great, etc. etc. But, I like my Porsche 911 and my Audi S4 which are a lot more trouble and expense and quite frankly do not ride as smoothly or comfortably as his Mercury. I just don't like his Mercury and I don't like Gold Wings in much the same irrational manner. At the same time, it is irrational for me to be critical of his choice of a Mercury Marquis. Does not have to make sense to anyone but me.
post #11 of 24 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 10:54 pm

I just joined this group to find out more about the LT as I am trying to decide between it and a GW for my next bike. I have owned a GW in the past (in the mid 80's) and currently have a 93 ST1100. Riding the ST is getting hard on my hip and wrists so I think that I am ready for a luxo-tourer.

I have owned several Hondas over the years including a CX500-Turbo. Hondas are generally no drama bikes. They just work. The current GW handles better than any 900lb motorcycle has a right to and has plenty of power.

Having said all that, Hondas just seem to lack something. I call it the tupperware effect. Tupperware does it's job almost pefectly but I don't stand at the door to the garage and stare at it.

My wife wants me to get the GW but the LT calls to me. Is BMW going to update it? I would like to see a new version based on the engine in the K1200GT. Now THAT would excite me!

Larry

Last edited by fionamax; Sep 10th, 2008 at 11:00 pm.
post #12 of 24 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 7:12 am

So far all I've done is sit on a GW so I am not prepared to say more than I don't think it would give me the "sport " in touring I currently like the most which I get in spades from my RT. If it was between the LT and the GW , I'd consider either of them the next move from an RT when the bucket dragging is no longer an option for me. I would not discount a Harley at that point but the image of both the GW and the Harley to be something less than I feel about myself as an enthusiast.

I would not forget either about some of the crusers out there that are more like touring bikes than ever. Triumphs come to mind and many of the wanna be hogs (jap versions) have compelling features for longer distance riding as they improve the breed.

For me though it is keep it light keep it fun and the RT seems almost my ONLY option at the moment.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #13 of 24 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:16 am

As was said, both are great bikes with a little different foccus. If they were cars we would be comparing a Honda Civic with a BMW 3 series....(or an Accord with a 5 series, take your pick). The Wing is a more generic touring focus while the LT takes a bit more to the sporty side. Personally I think the BMW looks a whole lot better and that was one of my biggest reasons to go that way.

BMW is working on the next generation LT but being pretty close-mouthed as to what it will look like. They are somewhat targeting the Wing, but don't plan to give up the more sporting nature of LT in the process. Rumors of a new 6 cylinder or the slanted 4 are both out there...and who knows, they might offer both. No commitment on timing has been made, but the most common rumor is a 2010 model. That being said, several people were "sure" that the new LT would be a 2009 model to be released in mid '08 not all that long ago.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.
post #14 of 24 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:24 am

When you read about the comparisons on a Gold Wing forum you begin to see things from a different prospective. When you read about the comparisons from other forums you find that the biggest deterrent to an LT ownership is the top heavy weight and Final Drive failures. And it does not help when current and former LT owners ring in with there personal cost/maintenance/failures horror stories.

From someone who has seriously researched and have considered both, I have to sadly admit that LT forums/threads do a despicable job of selling the LT. I purposely refrain from viewing the LT section because itís so depressing. And I mean no personal bearing by this, but as an outsider, when I see threads like this one, some of the responses and comments appear to be less about comparison and more about affirmation.
post #15 of 24 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 2:15 pm

I went through the exact same analysis from April -July of this year. I spent waaaay too much time on the Goldwing Forums and here. I think everything that has been said here is correct. Because of my age (65) and my touring desires, I finally decided that I wanted no more drama in my life. By drama I mean problems. I have no guarantees; but decided the odds were with me for better reliability if I bought the Wing. I did in July and I'm happy with it. I don't think it looks as sexy as the LT, I doubt if a really expert rider could do things with it that they could do on the LT (but I'm not that expert) and generally I agree the Wing doesn't have the Panache that the LT does. But I like the tens of thousands of carefree miles that are probably going to happen (no guarantees of course), the better availability of dealers and the generally lower cost of maintenance and repairs (I'm getting ready to retire so I don't need the extra costs). If I were 45-50, had 10-20 years left to work and just had more energy to drive 100 miles roundtrip for service, I may have made a different decision JUST FOR THE DRAMA(at one time in my life I liked drama-had Corvettes, etc). But I didn't and I'm happy. Just my .02
post #16 of 24 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 6:35 pm

With the gas situation as it is I'm surprised more of the posters here have not discussed the obvious. No Gold wing will get me from Atlanta to Asheville and dang near back on one tank and do it with the aplomb and sporting feel than and RT or even an LT or K 12 GT would.

That said, when I think of myself as a bit more gearatic , I'd definitly succumb to the charms of the GW. The one thing you gotta give them , is packaging. For twenty large you drive away with everything you need to do an iron butt with a mate and come out of it eleven days with a but you can still sit on without wincing.

All the standard features should not be ignored either, but thirty mpg don't cut it with me , hell my mini cooper gives me better than that and the maintenance schedule is much less punitive.

post #17 of 24 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:15 am

love my LT. and it will be the same for the wingnutz.. and the hog riderz.

post #18 of 24 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Stixx--You're right that the LT gets better milage than the Wing; but my experience is not down in the 30MPG range. YMMV. My wife and I tour at 65-75 indicated and average is right about 40. That's with less than 4,000 miles on the bike. I'll check this next week when we'll be riding about 2,500 miles with a lot of sightseeing. Hopefully, it'll start to increase a little. When I'm alone, I actually get lower milage. Throttle twisting and all.
post #19 of 24 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:24 am

I was in the market for a GW1800 2001 or newer.

Test drove it and have cousins driving em. After one spin on the LT I was sold. The BMW will out maneuver, out perform, it is centered ahead for perfect riding. Harley riders will always come over and check out your LT but the Gold wing will not get as much attention. It rides like a car with 2 wheels.

Regarding quality.. I would take the Honda. The darn thing is bullet proof. While the BMW requires a large pocket book for routine maintenance and if something is broken, good gosh. Honda's dont break, period.

Rumour has it that Honda's R&D is looking at a make over on the Goldwing again. Next bike for me is BMW (we are all waiting for the new touring) unless Honda can show me a bike that performs better on the road.. Nod to BMW.
How can you beat perfection?

post #20 of 24 Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot
Stixx--You're right that the LT gets better milage than the Wing; but my experience is not down in the 30MPG range. YMMV. My wife and I tour at 65-75 indicated and average is right about 40. That's with less than 4,000 miles on the bike. I'll check this next week when we'll be riding about 2,500 miles with a lot of sightseeing. Hopefully, it'll start to increase a little. When I'm alone, I actually get lower milage. Throttle twisting and all.
That would be great for you to do that. Very informative indeed. I suspect the same rider would get less on the wing, more HP more weight = less efficiency , i.e. less mileage. Nevertheless, I'd never rule out a wing and in fact if the dealers would have put me on one the way the Beemer store did I might be riding one as we speak. I'm not really all that convinced a Wing wont perform. The mass would say maybe not like my RT but that only represents 50 percent of my riding the other fifty I would love a Wing I'm sure especially when I'm two up and slabbing.

post #21 of 24 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 9:06 pm

as a happily married man, i understand looking at other women. but looking at other bikes, in a lustful way? shame on you!!!!
post #22 of 24 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionamax

Having said all that, Hondas just seem to lack something. I call it the tupperware effect. Tupperware does it's job almost pefectly but I don't stand at the door to the garage and stare at it.

Larry

Exactly

I rode an '07 'Wing last week, nice enough bike but the wife and I are both drawn to the LT...it just looks better. The 'Wing looks boxy and boring and to me the LT is kinda sexy.
post #23 of 24 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 11:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've had three of both
+ 5 R1200RT's. O.K., I have issues.
But that aside, I believe that the GW is a fine machine. Like most bikes it requires some tweaking, the seat, windshield and suspension for examples.
My 08 GW has about $3k in suspension work that has transformed the handling to what I rate as near BMW quality. Not quite, but closer. I am still looking for that windshield that will reduce the buffeting . The LT greatly exceeds the GW airflow's control. This may account for the poor gas mileage in the GW..
To me the GW's performance advantage is due to it's "granny " 1st gear . Great for slow speeds and trailer towing . Having 6 cylinders and 600 more cc's also helps.
The LT's , again, to me , advantage is that it is a motorcycle not just a machine.It has a motorcycle's character and visceral feel. It is just more satisfying to ride.
Read the GW forums. They complain about everything.
The common request for the 2010 GW is an automatic transmission and an electrically adjustable wind shield.
Plus for the LT? This forum.

Tim S
Arizona,USA

2011 R1200RT
post #24 of 24 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDRS
Read the GW forums. They complain about everything.
From the outside looking in, that's true with the LT here. In fact I don't visit the LT section because it's so damn depressing.

When trying to decide between R1200RT, K1200GT, and K1200LT, It was the voices of LT owners that have turned me away from the K1200LT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in