Anyone own a Ural? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Anyone own a Ural?

I saw a great pic of a dog in a Ural sidecar on here a few weeks ago, and it's stuck in my head. How many guys on here have a Ural? Are you happy with it? Has it been reliable for bopping around with, maybe some light touring on weekends?

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Re: Anyone own a Ural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
I saw a great pic of a dog in a Ural sidecar on here a few weeks ago, and it's stuck in my head. How many guys on here have a Ural? Are you happy with it? Has it been reliable for bopping around with, maybe some light touring on weekends?

KMC1,

You might want to PM Jim Anderson. He is a long term Ural owner and has commented on the machine here many times. His screen name is Jim. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 15 Old Sep 8th, 2008, 11:25 pm Thread Starter

Only one lead on this one?
I figured for sure there would be several of us that had one of these?
The video of one blasting through the snow looks like a lot of fun!

post #4 of 15 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 5:41 am

Yes, I (actually wife) have an 07 Arctic GU. Fun machine. Very different. We're thinkin of takin it somewhere we can camp/ off-road it some in the near future.

Fortunately, she's still "learning" how to ride it (round the neighborhood), so I ride it more often. I've let her ride me around a little... - yes, I was in the monkey seat.

What it's not is a freeway machine. It will get to app 65 fairly easy. Different skills required from riding a bike. There is push and pull with accel/ decel because of the hack, and the drum brakes are fairly non-existent. Keep it off freeways.. it is a different ride. Be prepared to add time to your trip to talk to everyone that wants to talk about it when you ride.

As the non-mech type, the Ural is what convinced me I could do mc maintenance myself- just looking at it, I realized... I can work on this. From there to the K12LT for own maintenance... And the service video is a video... it shows the guy doing everything.
post #5 of 15 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 9:59 am

Kevin,

One of the instructors I teach with owns one. She loves it. She takes it camping, etc. Note: not meant for highway speeds. She ussually rides it to the range on the days she teaches. She and I are teaching together on Saturday. If you want to see one up close and personal. She does have a Shadow she rides as well. She says it needs maintenance every 1300miles. Seems alot to me but figure it is 1950s technology. It has the artic paint job which is really cool plus it can be 2 wheel drive. great for the winter. Call me on Saturday after 1230 pm and I will let you know if she rode it to the range.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 4:54 pm

http://www.adirondackural.com/aboutus_contactus.php

Cool place to visit...

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #7 of 15 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Awesome!
I'll give you a call Sat to find out!
Thanks for the link to the club - GREAT info! (as usual)

post #8 of 15 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Buddy of mine bought one when they first came out.

on third day the wiring, all 20 feet of it shorted out (the fuse block was on the "neck" and as you turn the handlebars, the wiring scrubbed the quality Ruskie insulation off in a hurry.... against the VIN plate.

Anyway.. a few yards of wire and a relocation of the fuseblock and a new fuse or two and he was back on the road..

They are, after all, BMW copies.

I recall the video showing "manufacturing" process... a "clean room" like you see on BMW videos it aint... after all, they are built in the Ural mountains with WWii technology...

AAAnyway, on this video, they have the case halves of a new motor on the ground trying to "fit" a new cylinder head with a HUGE MALLET.... (Yeah, Thor was impressed)... on the video the narrator said...

"we were assured this motor is being shipped to Cuba"....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 15 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 6:13 pm

I have a 2004 Ural Tourist that I bought used, in several boxes. I have gotten it back together and running without too much difficulty. I have upgraded the ignition system and added some accessories such as chrome luggage racks, upgraded valve covers, etc. I find the bike to be extremely easy to work on and maintain but I would advise others to get a '04 or newer due to improvements in electrical system, etc. I use it mostly for running around my vacation/retirement beach home in South Carolina and it usually take me about an hour to run to the store, a five minute ride. Every one wants to talk about it. If you were to have any questions about it, please do not hesitate to PM me. I take my yellow lab for rides in the side car all the time. Great chick-mobil except that the wife doesn't allow such things.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

Last edited by Daman858; Sep 9th, 2008 at 6:30 pm.
post #10 of 15 Old Sep 9th, 2008, 9:56 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Great info so far and I'll just add a couple of things.

You don't say what you expect out of the bike. I live in L.A. and have to ride the freeway or a lot of surface streets to get to the fun roads. I usually pick the freeway but, as has been mentioned, it is not a very good bike for this. It will keep up with traffic in the slow lane (almost), but any evasive maneuvers that are just a flick of the bars on a two wheel bike can be a real adventure on the Ural. Going from 0 to 55 is one thing. Going from 55 to 0 quickly and in complete control is another story. If you ride it on the roads that it was designed for, once you get used to the steering it is no problem. You can have a hell of a lot of fun at the speed limit.

I had a couple of small mechanical issues with mine when it was new, but the dealer took care of them. It takes a bit of maintainance, but is is all straightforward.

Here are a couple of forums with lots of info...

http://russianiron.com/
http://www.imz-ural.com/

I have bought and sold three BMWs since owning the Ural. It is a great second bike and don't forsee selling it for a long time.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #11 of 15 Old Sep 10th, 2008, 7:35 pm

The Ural sure ain't for the freeway. I have rejetted the carbs and cleared out the restrictive exhaust and I can get 70-75 MPH out of her but I normally cruise at about 45 to 55 mph. I have found that dealer support is great as most of them sell just Urals and maybe those Royal Enfields. I have never had a problem getting parts, tires or accessories. I love to tool around Georgetown County, SC in her but there are no interstates in the area and when the tourists are gone, little or no traffic most of the time. I have over 22,000 KM on her!

I might ad that South Carolina, as of 7/1/08, requires a special three wheeled motorcycle permit for sidecar rigs or trikes. You gotta get a learner's permit and take a written and driving test, even if you have a motorcycle permit. There are LOTS of trikes in the area due to the large amount of baby boomers retiring to the area.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #12 of 15 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 7:36 pm

The ADV Rider website has a long thread posted by a gentleman who is riding his Ural through all of the lower 48 states. Nice photos, great story. Here's a link. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354338

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #13 of 15 Old Sep 11th, 2008, 10:27 pm Thread Starter

Hey, How'd this get over here?
Anyway, thanks for the info on Urals - these things are cool, man. The Gear up with the arctic camo looks friggin awesome - and I can take the dog with me if I want to get away for a weekend or so - too cool.
I want to get a new bike this year, something I can go offroad with. Maybe a GSA or similar, but having the ability to take my "boy" with me is making me think maybe I don't really need to ride on highways much anyway

post #14 of 15 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 7:05 am

It's really a cool piece of nostalgia. Fun, too. They're costly for what they are, but hell, you bought a BMW. A poster on one of the Ural sites tells a story of how he was once stopped by a guy from Russia who asked him if it was a Ural. The guy asked him why he bought it or would want one and told him they're a piece of junk. The Russian asked him how much he paid for it and told him he could get one (in Russia) for $500.00. Then he shook his head in disbelief and walked away.

The Arctic we got was bought by a guy who put 100 miles on it and brought it right back. Scared the hell out of him. Carolina Euro kept askin me if I knew how to ride it. They kept warning me about cornering, seriously. It's almost like they didn't want me to buy it . All I can say is it will take some getting used to- it AIN'T a motorcycle!

Oh yeah, there were only 73 (70something) Arctic's brought into the US. I don't know if they're making more. Ural seems to do that from time to time. Make a "special" one in small numbers. They had the Raven and some others before. And if you get one, get a newer model- there have been upgrades/ changes that are pretty significant.

Wife and I don't ride it as much as the K12. Of course, we did buy it for her. But she's been talkin more about find somplace that allows off-roading, taking a trip with some camp gear, and goin.

I agree, it would be so cool to take a dog, if you have one. He would love it. Be prepared to be stopped for questions twice as often than if you were just on the Ural.
post #15 of 15 Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:19 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

Here is another link with some great info.

http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp

Be sure to read Sidecar Operator's Manual by Hal Kendall if nothing else.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in