Test road an RT yesterday - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Test road an RT yesterday

One thing for sure, it's a lot easier to handle at parking lot speeds than my beloved LT. And it was surprisingly comfortable. And, I'm pretty certain you can corner these pretty hard without dragging foot pegs, fairing, side stand or center stand. But the engine was definitely not as silky smooth as the K bikes -- definitely more vibration. However they also seem a bit torquier. All in all, I like the bike and now find myself considering changing. Well, I'm looking around at least. Maybe I need to test drive a GT, too.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 7th, 2008, 10:30 am

Re: Test road an RT yesterday

I also tested an RT yesterday and have a few questions. I am looking to buy another bike to keep at a second home out of state and the RT seemed like a good choice. Now I'm not sure. I think I'd like to test a GS. Anyway, I need to figure out if the things I did not like about the RT are due to the fact that the demo had the lowered seat option. My dealer did not have a regular seat configuration on the floor for me to try to compare. I'm 6'1". Here are my concerns and I'd like some help in determining if they would be eliminated on a regular seat model:

1. The pegs were too high resulting in too much at my bend in my knees.

2. I felt like I was sitting "in" the seat not on it and not in a comfortable way. How is the lowered seat option made? Would the regular seat feel the same?

3. I felt like the seat continually wanted to push me toward the front of the bike rather than where I felt was the best position for me. Again, is that caused by the lowered seat option?

4. I would have liked the bars up and back by 1-2". I assume there is a kit to do that.

5. The pegs were in the exact spot that I wanted to put my legs down when I stopped. This forced my legs to extend to the side to come down beyond the pegs. I tried my legs in front of them and behind them, however the most natural position would have been exactly where they extend from the bike and that position was unavailable because the pegs were there. If I could have sat further back so my legs were sllightly in front of me rather than almost behind me, my feet could have planted behind the pegs--but again the seat forced me farther forward than I wanted to be.

I loved the handling, agility, power, braking and ride, but the above concerns would probably be deal breakers for me.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 8:06 am

Saw this topic and thought I might add to it and get some input back.

We are also looking for a more comfortable bike, but are coming from a different "direction". We currently ride a '93 K1100RS with side and top cases and a tall Aeroflow windshield. Pretty comfortable for rides of an hour or so.

But my 53 y.o. abused knees are starting to not like being bent more than 90 degrees for extended periods of time. Love the bike, but my 35"+ inseam legs don't.

So we are starting to look around and will probably try an LT, an RT and.... yeah, a Goldwing. We need to be able to be comfortable over longer distances on a bike that can go around curves- which I understand that all 3 can.

Moot, the low seat that you tried is 1.5" lower than the stock, normal height seat- a big difference. Also there are peg lowering kits.

If anyone can give more input on these three bikes, we would welcome any and all info.

Thanks,
John

'93 K1100RS "Hades"
'07 Kaw 250R (daughter's)
'06 Ducati Monster 620 (son's)

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 8:47 am

Your issues could be the low seat.
I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam. I use the standard stock seat in hight position. I'm on the balls of my feet - to my tiptoes at a stop, but it is very comfortable going down the road. See if you can find a stock seater to testdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
I also tested an RT yesterday and have a few questions. I am looking to buy another bike to keep at a second home out of state and the RT seemed like a good choice. Now I'm not sure. I think I'd like to test a GS. Anyway, I need to figure out if the things I did not like about the RT are due to the fact that the demo had the lowered seat option. My dealer did not have a regular seat configuration on the floor for me to try to compare. I'm 6'1". Here are my concerns and I'd like some help in determining if they would be eliminated on a regular seat model:

1. The pegs were too high resulting in too much at my bend in my knees.

2. I felt like I was sitting "in" the seat not on it and not in a comfortable way. How is the lowered seat option made? Would the regular seat feel the same?

3. I felt like the seat continually wanted to push me toward the front of the bike rather than where I felt was the best position for me. Again, is that caused by the lowered seat option?

4. I would have liked the bars up and back by 1-2". I assume there is a kit to do that.

5. The pegs were in the exact spot that I wanted to put my legs down when I stopped. This forced my legs to extend to the side to come down beyond the pegs. I tried my legs in front of them and behind them, however the most natural position would have been exactly where they extend from the bike and that position was unavailable because the pegs were there. If I could have sat further back so my legs were sllightly in front of me rather than almost behind me, my feet could have planted behind the pegs--but again the seat forced me farther forward than I wanted to be.

I loved the handling, agility, power, braking and ride, but the above concerns would probably be deal breakers for me.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #5 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 10:18 am

Good input. Thanks. A couple more questions. Has anyone lowered the pegs and if so, does it increase scraping on curves? What highway pegs are folks using to allow you to stretch your legs out at least momentarily?
post #6 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 12:27 pm

well the seats are adjustable and you can go after market for a Sargent seat for even more options. In my view the RT is the definitive BMW, everything else is well, something else.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #7 of 11 Old Sep 14th, 2008, 6:28 pm

i'm 6'2" - inseam 32-33 - also had the bent knee problem - used suburban machinery lowering kit - it really made a nice difference - haven't found it causes any more scraping. you do have to readjust the brake & shift levers - but pretty easy.

jerry
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 7:49 am

Hey you tall mofo's!
I'm about 6' even with a 32 or so inch inseam.
I've ridden the GS and thought it was OK. I have sat on, but not ridden, the 1200 RT and thought it wasn't too bad. But, the other day, I sat on a GSA and was really impressed with how much legroom I have on it - MUCH better than a GS - which isn't really bad for me. I'm planning to rent one for a day or so next week to try one out for an extended ride - if you want to know what I thought, PM me. IMO try a GSA if you're about 5'10" or taller, I think you'll like the legroom.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2008, 8:49 am

I test rode both RT and LT at A&S yesterday. In addition to your observations, I also noticed that I was getting heat to my face from RT. I enjoyed the ride on LT more than RT. This is my test ride story and I am sticking with it. (sticking with LT as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
One thing for sure, it's a lot easier to handle at parking lot speeds than my beloved LT. And it was surprisingly comfortable. And, I'm pretty certain you can corner these pretty hard without dragging foot pegs, fairing, side stand or center stand. But the engine was definitely not as silky smooth as the K bikes -- definitely more vibration. However they also seem a bit torquier. All in all, I like the bike and now find myself considering changing. Well, I'm looking around at least. Maybe I need to test drive a GT, too.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #10 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 8:30 pm

I have both the RT and the LT. In my search for the perfect bike I went through a few Hondas, like the PC800, VTX1800 and the Goldwing. Decided to try the BMW and liked the look of the GSA. Quite different, especially the legroom and the view! I found the GSA was just a bit more than I wanted so traded for the RT I have now. I have the factory seat in the high position and it works well, just not comfortable. I am 6'3" and about 220lbs with 34" inseam. I lowered the pegs and raised the bars with stuff from Suburban. I have added an Autocom and put my GPS on a mount from the Gadget Guy. By myself I like this bike the best and I love that boxer engine. However, when two up the LT gets the nod. They are quite different bikes and it does take a bit for me to go from one to the other but I enjoy them both. I have found that the pegs are also just a bit in the way on the RT when stopping but I am adjusting to that also. On the LT I have lowered the pegs, also with a kit from Suburban....made a world of difference for me.

If I had to have just one it would be the RT, mainly for the fun factor!
post #11 of 11 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 9:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I would think that with the lower pegs you would still need to lean it pretty aggressively to hit them. Not likely in generic riding, but if pressing on track or at the gap, perhaps, but I wouldn't worry about it until it happened.

I run the stock seat in both low and high positions. In low I can easily flatfoot both feet, and in high I can still flatfoot one of my feat, close on the other (5'10 33/34 inseam). In the high position i'm more comfortable overall, but I feel more confident at stops or in parking lots when in the low position. So for the most part I'll run it low unless I'm off for a longer jaunt where comfort is important and parking lots are less frequent. I would like to see the bars up/back by an inch or so... something yet to try one of these days.

So Moot, you gotta try with the stock seat. You may find the pegs are fine where they are once you're "up" on the seat.

Mark
'07 RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in