Ride like motorcop DVD. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Ride like motorcop DVD.

This DVD is made by "real" motor cops and it looks interesting. I know the motor sergeant and knowing him this should be a good video.

http://www.motorcops.com/

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 3:36 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Re: Ride like motorcop DVD.

I am always interested in riding away from motorcops

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #3 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 4:23 pm Thread Starter

Riding away or with????

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black

post #4 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 4:26 pm

I have watched on of these types as well and found it very helpful.

I do have one question for you Motorman587. When you get pulled over on your bike for speeding do you get away with it being an off duty motorman?

And if so what line should we all use to get out of or lower the speed of a ticket?

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #5 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 5:13 pm

Skrag the video, I want to take another one of John's classes. Now, if only hurricane season will quit blowing the cones away.

Anybody interested in joining me? It will have to be after the October National BMW meet in Mexico.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 5:40 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Riding away or with????

OK with

The local motorcops ride HD I had a nice chat with one last week at a stop light.
As a side note I asked him why he had short sleeve shirt on and not a mesh jacket. He kindly said he did not want to sweat his ass off as I was

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200

I do have one question for you Motorman587. When you get pulled over on your bike for speeding do you get away with it being an off duty motorman?

And if so what line should we all use to get out of or lower the speed of a ticket?
Boy, do I have a story for you. I have gotten two speeding tickets in the last 20 years as being a cop. The first one I was told, "Boy, (this was in Georgia) if I waz speeding in your town you give me a ticket too." I was in 5.0 Mustang and way before I got into motorcycling.

Second ticket I got was in Nebraska on my Alaska trip. Second day, trooper pulled me. Did not have my gun, so I flat told him I was a cop and if he could cut me a break. He told me, "Son, we treat everyone the same in Nebraska".

Tips on getting out of ticket. Be honest, funny and polite. You may still get a ticket but it is better because if you piss the guy/gal off they may write more than one. Ask for break, ie can you write me for something less or else. Be a sell person. You would not believe the people that do not attempt to talk me down. Like, hey can you write me for insurance, seatbelt etc...........May work or it may not.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #8 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
OK with

The local motorcops ride HD I had a nice chat with one last week at a stop light.
As a side note I asked him why he had short sleeve shirt on and not a mesh jacket. He kindly said he did not want to sweat his ass off as I was
I agree with what you are saying, but I wear a 30 pound bullet proof vest that beats any motorcycle armor around. I sweat my ass off wearing this, and sometimes think that I am going to die of heat stroke, before a bullet, but I wear it. So road rash to us is second in line before a bullet. So that is why most wear a short sleeve shirt.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #9 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Skrag the video, I want to take another one of John's classes. Now, if only hurricane season will quit blowing the cones away.

Anybody interested in joining me? It will have to be after the October National BMW meet in Mexico.
I would do it for free. Pay for lodging, food, gas and I will squeal like pig with information. Will not as for a fee.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #10 of 20 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 8:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1200

This video just came out. I know who, when and where it was made and I can tell ya these guys know how to ride. There is another video out there which claims to a motor cop and he............well let me just stop there........ this video is for real and I indorse this video..........

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #11 of 20 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 7:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
OK with

I wear a mesh jacket. He's right. They can still be very hot, especially when you are stopped at a light, baking in the sun.

One thing that helped me was changing to a BMW brand "silver function" T-shirt. I used to wear ordinary collared shirts (weekday commute) or cotton T-shirt (weekend) under the mesh jacket, and perspired a lot, even under the mesh jacket. The BMW shirt leaves me feeling much cooler. I change into it before I head for home in the summer heat.

There are probably many different specialty shirts that cost far less and work better, but this one was convenient to buy and works well enough for me.
post #12 of 20 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:00 am

Quote:
This video just came out. I know who, when and where it was made and I can tell ya these guys know how to ride. There is another video out there which claims to a motor cop and he............well let me just stop there........ this video is for real and I indorse this video..........
THIS one? I have not seen it but it was advertised in Rider Mag.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #13 of 20 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:58 am

Quote:
Just out of curioisty, what's the axe to be ground with Jerry Palladino? I own RLAP 5, and from what I can see, it's valuable information, given in an easy-to-digest manner (oriented for the public, not for motors), with good production values.

Not to say that there's not value in this other DVD...but does that have to be to the exclusion of what's offered in RLAP?

2000 K1200LT Icon
2000 R1100RT-P
post #14 of 20 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I trained that guy. But the DVD that I have the link too is different one and it just came out.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #15 of 20 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpilot06
Just out of curioisty, what's the axe to be ground with Jerry Palladino? I own RLAP 5, and from what I can see, it's valuable information, given in an easy-to-digest manner (oriented for the public, not for motors), with good production values.

Not to say that there's not value in this other DVD...but does that have to be to the exclusion of what's offered in RLAP?
I was instructor for IPTM when Palladino came through the instructor course. He came there just to make the video. The instructor school was free for Florida motor officers. When the school found what his reason why he was there, they were upset. He would ask question in the class, ie "How would a civilian rider do this?" Is how they know he was there for a different reason. Also when he went through the school he did it on a Honda Shadow. I also heard he was a part-time rider at the department. I have heard is video are good from people and I have heard him speak and does that well too. The reason for the axe throwing his expreince as a claimed motor officers. The Charleston motor unit that made the motorcop DVD, I have seen them train and ride. They are probably the best riders on the east coast. Both DVDs probably will do well however buys them.

One thing I do not agree on with Palladino is slipping the clutch, not all motors need this to do slow parking lot riding. IE the RTPs.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #16 of 20 Old Sep 18th, 2008, 5:37 pm

My reply (polite and sincere) to those that don't want to sweat is "Iwould rather sweat on my motorcycle than bleed on a gurney in the emergency room should I go down"

Quote:
The local motorcops ride HD I had a nice chat with one last week at a stop light. As a side note I asked him why he had short sleeve shirt on and not a mesh jacket. He kindly said he did not want to sweat his ass off as I was
post #17 of 20 Old Sep 21st, 2008, 6:38 pm

Exactly Tom. I road motors for six years in short sleeved shirts, horse riding pants and boots. I was hot as hell. Now we wear Olympia mesh jackets and pants and are just as hot but a lot more protected. BTW, I wrote the proposals to get us in Aerostich Police roadcrafters, Olympia summer gear and full face HJC Symax helmets.

We're starting to see more and more agencies switching to real motorcycle apparel and getting rid of the 1930's era horse riding gear.
post #18 of 20 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 8:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-NC
Exactly Tom. I road motors for six years in short sleeved shirts, horse riding pants and boots. I was hot as hell. Now we wear Olympia mesh jackets and pants and are just as hot but a lot more protected. BTW, I wrote the proposals to get us in Aerostich Police roadcrafters, Olympia summer gear and full face HJC Symax helmets.

We're starting to see more and more agencies switching to real motorcycle apparel and getting rid of the 1930's era horse riding gear.

Brain,
I think I met you guys at the rodeo this year or last, but when I did see you guys practice you did not have your mesh jackets on and the flip ups were up??? LOL

We tried flip ups and are too hot for Florida to work off. I do not mind short sleeves, have yet to see some one die from road rash. I wear a bullet proof vest 100% of the time and is better than some of motorcycle armor some of you are wearing. In the fall I wear a leather jacket, so I am about sleeveless for about 6 months of the year. So I will risk some scares on my arms to be cooler.

I kind've like the horse gear, it does have a history of "motormen", and they have come a long way. I wish they could keep the style but put more armor in the pants. The boots I have a steel toe, again they are pretty good motorcycle boots.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #19 of 20 Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkknight
My reply (polite and sincere) to those that don't want to sweat is "Iwould rather sweat on my motorcycle than bleed on a gurney in the emergency room should I go down"
I would like to see some of you that make those comments come and ride with me. I sweat, 8 hours, 5 hours a day. The sweat just comes of the helmet pads in the afternoon. Even with short sleeves/shorty helmet it is hot.

I have commented on this before and ask you to gear up. Get on your motorcycle and park it in the sun. Get off and on 15-20 times, go your saddle bag and have pen an note pad, attempt to write something down. Then have the SO come out and start yelling at you, do your "honey do" list. How long would you last???

Trust me I understand what you are saying about gear. When I ride my LT, I am gear up. However at work I have to use the appropriate gear that works, for me and the department. Just like you do not see cops walking or patrolling around with AR-15s, it is not practical.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
post #20 of 20 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 5:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones

Yep, I interacted with him at a Honda event... smoke and mirrors...

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in