Love/Hate relationship 2005 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:32 am Thread Starter

Love/Hate relationship 2005 LT

I'm sorry to report my 2005 LT gets delivered to a new owner on Saturday. I wouldn't be in this position if I could ride it like a touring bike is suppose to be ridden. I'm gonna miss the performance but not the uncomfortable riding position. Maybe I'll be back with the 2010 "Next Generation" LT...but if it's the same foot position no way.

Got rid of my BMW LT for a good price…I’ll miss the performance but not the long distance ergonomically friendly POOR foot position. Test rode a Vision on Wednesday buy it on Thursday…isn’t that what you are suppose to do?

Anyway…as I tell my friends about the change I tell them I went from a pretty technologically engineered product that handled better the faster you went (I believe it’s call the Autobahn)…to a “hey look at me” bike. Since I just turned a half century old I will admit occasionally I will miss those times on the twistys when the youngsters on their “super bikes” couldn’t loose me…armrests on the back seat and all. But now I get to ride as long as I have fuel.

I found myself with this “dolled up” touring BMW built for these long romantic get away weekends and found that my destination better be within an hour because that’s all my left knee could take. And I asked myself what’s wrong with this picture…”a touring bike that is 2.5 years old with 8000 miles on it”? One test ride on the Vision and adios BMW.

So I got the Silver Premium and put 2.5 hours in on it in one sitting and could have gone all day if I didn’t need fuel…this bike will be heavily used. The first oil change (500 miles) will be done tomorrow and I’m going all weekend to somewhere in WI looking for old antique stores followed by some kind of adult beverage manufacturers’ tour.

When I picked up my bike, the dealer laughed when he heard me tell my better half that I was getting a “go slow look at me bike” (which she was all for) and he warned me that every time you stop somewhere they’ll want to talk to you about the bike. I though yadda, yadda…I had the same thing with the BMW as I live smack dab where HD’s are churned out. But I really was off by only…say 1000%.

I literally pull out of the dealer on Thursday which happened to be the start of this small event called “Harley Fest” 105 years…you might have heard about it…and get to my first stop light and have travelled a whopping 400 yards and while at the light, some kind of HD pulls up with his better half clinging to him on this postage size seat and she starts screaming at me! “Take me….Take me…my ass is killing me”…and I thought she was going to jump off the bike and onto mine. Not a good idea with my better half watching this in the car behind me.

This happened every where I went…I was cruising down some of our lovely country roads and staying away from Harley Hell this last weekend but there were a zillion bikes all out doing the same thing a good 50 miles from downtown….when I pulled over because my IPOD had locked up and I needed to reboot. I almost caused a three bike pile up at the intersection of “Hay-seed Way & Silo Blvd.” because all three of the bikes and passengers all had to stare at me while driving by. It was hilarious when the “Fair Maid” on the back of one of these Knights turned her eyes away from me and my Vision only to see her “knuckle head husband” was still staring at the bike…so with the cuff of her well placed hand to the back of his skull…he snapped out of it just in time to get the bike back on the road.

The last episode was when I had my 11 year old step daughter along for a “dusk time” ride…her first. We stopped to fuel it up and while we were filling up the island next to us hand a nice “cotton top” retired gentleman doing the same with his car. He looked up and just announced…”now that’s what I call a handsome bike, what is it”? I told him it’s call a Victory Vision and he responded…”Who makes it”…so without wanting to embarrass him by repeating Victory…I told him, an American snowmobile company by the name of Polaris…he said “ya right and if monkeys had wings” and we both laughed…but for different reasons…lol.

So there is no doubt people will love it or hate it…but they won’t take their eyes off of it either.

Now for my needs for improvement observations…not that this matters as it is what it is…but maybe you folks out their can offer some ideas to me.

$229 for a piece of plastic with two sided tape to vent away the heat seems a bit much which leads me to the question….(1) Is there a website that has a list of all the accessories for the Vision?

After having all 4 cylinder water cooled bikes and the BMW with its full plastic/vented shell around the engine…the engine heat is a bit much! Yikes…I HD people tell me their engine heat is still worse!

I got the Stage 1 pipes on it and the dealer will be putting on the rest of the goodies Friday:

Intercom, IPOD docking thing, bag liners for the trunks, taller windshield, and some kind of nice cover (I haven’t seen it yet). Don’t want the CD changer had it on the BMW but with the IPOD why?

I noticed the AM lower stations get disturbed by the engine which is annoying when trying to listen to the Badger game and question (2): what is the best air pressure setting to leave the shocks at for the most part…for occasion short time two-up riding that I can leave it at without losing the nice ride? The BMW had a handy hydraulic valve you adjusted in a couple seconds before and after two-up riding…any thoughts?

Any way…the “public, they know I’m a coming” because of the pipes…and “they can’t stop looking when I get there”…so I’m having fun! And you can’t beat that with a mallet.

Last edited by Steve_R; Sep 5th, 2008 at 5:45 am. Reason: Moved to the appropriate forum for bikes other than LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:50 am

Re: Love/Hate relationship 2005 LT

I have a friend who just got a vision as well and he loves it. I also don't need to talk to anyone anymore with him around. The bike is a magnet.

As for accessories the only stuff we have found is on the Victory website. The dealer can give you a catalog as well with the stuff. There just isn't much out there yet that we could find. There is a Victory website and forum that has a link from the Victory website if I remember.

Most of my friends look at his bike now and mine when they are sitting next to each other and always say, I think a BMW designer went to Victory. They just took the LT and stretched it out and changed a few things. It handles 100% better then any other cruiser I have been on and my buddy can keep up with me in the twisties really well. It is a nice bike and I hope you enjoy it.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #3 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Tom:

My thread post is actually a copy of the report I put on the Victory Vision version of this website. Their website is formatted the same way as this one but it seems like there are a grand total of 8 members...lol. This LT site is one I will always go to as there are a ton of you out there and mostly very knowledgeable and willing to share.

Thanks for the memories!

post #4 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Vance,

I also took the same bike for a test ride several months ago and got the same reaction. Hard to believe the number of people who stopped beside me to admire the bike and lots of turned heads. I really thought it was a fluke and the bike rode like a dream. Local dealer was more than willing to let me ride it as long as necessary to make a decision. Lots I liked more about the K1200LT, but the comfort of the Victory is hard to beat. I felt like I was riding in a lounge chair. Enjoy your bike........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 14 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:46 pm

Felt the same way about my 05' until I got a set of MOP's, (and a Kontour seat) I have done up to 900 mi in a day now with no problems in the knee department. Good luck with the Vision!

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #6 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:06 am

Good luck with the Vision. I liked the look of it the first time I saw a picture of it. I finally saw one in person last week in the showroom.
No sales peeps were around to ask questions of.

I am a do it yourselfer type and first thing I looked for was Tire Valve access to check tire pressure. It looked like a knuckle buster and hard to reach when I looked at it on the showroom...

Have you tried to check tire air pressure F&R yet? What about oil filter and normal maintenance chores? Is is as easy as the HD's were to access?

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #7 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:12 am

Victory Vision puts out a lot of heat on the rider. Sorry not for me. I ride year around in Ariona almost on a daily basis.

Enjoy your new bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
I'm sorry to report my 2005 LT gets delivered to a new owner on Saturday. I wouldn't be in this position if I could ride it like a touring bike is suppose to be ridden. I'm gonna miss the performance but not the uncomfortable riding position. Maybe I'll be back with the 2010 "Next Generation" LT...but if it's the same foot position no way.

Got rid of my BMW LT for a good price…I’ll miss the performance but not the long distance ergonomically friendly POOR foot position. Test rode a Vision on Wednesday buy it on Thursday…isn’t that what you are suppose to do?

Anyway…as I tell my friends about the change I tell them I went from a pretty technologically engineered product that handled better the faster you went (I believe it’s call the Autobahn)…to a “hey look at me” bike. Since I just turned a half century old I will admit occasionally I will miss those times on the twistys when the youngsters on their “super bikes” couldn’t loose me…armrests on the back seat and all. But now I get to ride as long as I have fuel.

I found myself with this “dolled up” touring BMW built for these long romantic get away weekends and found that my destination better be within an hour because that’s all my left knee could take. And I asked myself what’s wrong with this picture…”a touring bike that is 2.5 years old with 8000 miles on it”? One test ride on the Vision and adios BMW.

So I got the Silver Premium and put 2.5 hours in on it in one sitting and could have gone all day if I didn’t need fuel…this bike will be heavily used. The first oil change (500 miles) will be done tomorrow and I’m going all weekend to somewhere in WI looking for old antique stores followed by some kind of adult beverage manufacturers’ tour.

When I picked up my bike, the dealer laughed when he heard me tell my better half that I was getting a “go slow look at me bike” (which she was all for) and he warned me that every time you stop somewhere they’ll want to talk to you about the bike. I though yadda, yadda…I had the same thing with the BMW as I live smack dab where HD’s are churned out. But I really was off by only…say 1000%.

I literally pull out of the dealer on Thursday which happened to be the start of this small event called “Harley Fest” 105 years…you might have heard about it…and get to my first stop light and have travelled a whopping 400 yards and while at the light, some kind of HD pulls up with his better half clinging to him on this postage size seat and she starts screaming at me! “Take me….Take me…my ass is killing me”…and I thought she was going to jump off the bike and onto mine. Not a good idea with my better half watching this in the car behind me.

This happened every where I went…I was cruising down some of our lovely country roads and staying away from Harley Hell this last weekend but there were a zillion bikes all out doing the same thing a good 50 miles from downtown….when I pulled over because my IPOD had locked up and I needed to reboot. I almost caused a three bike pile up at the intersection of “Hay-seed Way & Silo Blvd.” because all three of the bikes and passengers all had to stare at me while driving by. It was hilarious when the “Fair Maid” on the back of one of these Knights turned her eyes away from me and my Vision only to see her “knuckle head husband” was still staring at the bike…so with the cuff of her well placed hand to the back of his skull…he snapped out of it just in time to get the bike back on the road.

The last episode was when I had my 11 year old step daughter along for a “dusk time” ride…her first. We stopped to fuel it up and while we were filling up the island next to us hand a nice “cotton top” retired gentleman doing the same with his car. He looked up and just announced…”now that’s what I call a handsome bike, what is it”? I told him it’s call a Victory Vision and he responded…”Who makes it”…so without wanting to embarrass him by repeating Victory…I told him, an American snowmobile company by the name of Polaris…he said “ya right and if monkeys had wings” and we both laughed…but for different reasons…lol.

So there is no doubt people will love it or hate it…but they won’t take their eyes off of it either.

Now for my needs for improvement observations…not that this matters as it is what it is…but maybe you folks out their can offer some ideas to me.

$229 for a piece of plastic with two sided tape to vent away the heat seems a bit much which leads me to the question….(1) Is there a website that has a list of all the accessories for the Vision?

After having all 4 cylinder water cooled bikes and the BMW with its full plastic/vented shell around the engine…the engine heat is a bit much! Yikes…I HD people tell me their engine heat is still worse!

I got the Stage 1 pipes on it and the dealer will be putting on the rest of the goodies Friday:

Intercom, IPOD docking thing, bag liners for the trunks, taller windshield, and some kind of nice cover (I haven’t seen it yet). Don’t want the CD changer had it on the BMW but with the IPOD why?

I noticed the AM lower stations get disturbed by the engine which is annoying when trying to listen to the Badger game and question (2): what is the best air pressure setting to leave the shocks at for the most part…for occasion short time two-up riding that I can leave it at without losing the nice ride? The BMW had a handy hydraulic valve you adjusted in a couple seconds before and after two-up riding…any thoughts?

Any way…the “public, they know I’m a coming” because of the pipes…and “they can’t stop looking when I get there”…so I’m having fun! And you can’t beat that with a mallet.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:23 am

I agree, enjoy your new motorcycle. It'll never be one for me as I think it is really ugly. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel about it.

But so long as you keep riding, that's all that really matters.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #9 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 5:53 am

Wouldn't ride anything but the LT; and even if I tried to switch, the back-seater would kill me in my sleep.
Having said that, I was just having simmilar thoughts about the "one-size-fits-all" LT the other day. No different from, say, shoes or clothing sold by big stores: take the most average/common sizes, and stock them, as that is what will sell in largest numbers. Beemer must have used a model of an average German dude, 5'10, 180lbs, average legs, smallish hands. So far I had to get Grip Puppies, as my big paws were killing me with standard grips. I've got a peg-lowering kit on its way, and if that doesn't unscrunch me, will look at boards. Then start looking at seat options.
Law of averages, I guess - we're all different and, what fits one, may need adjusting for another.
Congrats on the new ride!
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 9:10 am Thread Starter

I tried everything to get my knees comfortable. I have both the Jpegs & MOP combination. When I use the Jpeg...best I could do was one at a time...I now know what it is like to be the wishbone the day after Thanksgiving with two 8 yr. olds pulling on it.

And the MOP was a disastrous story. Got'um...put them on, easy, test rode and tried them for 10 minutes, they seemed kind of fragile and I didn't put any weight on them other than my boot. Went to my dealer a week later to replaced a lower tupperware that was cracked and they had to take off the Jpeg to do it. The soldier bolts were not able to come off of the MOP. They dropped all the hardware...put a blow torch and cranked hard to get the bolts to break free...no luck. My dealer feels so bad he orders another set and calls me a week later to bring the LT back he has a surprise for me. In that week I emailed MOP about the problem and got no response.

The dealer now is installing my new right MOP and this time the soldier bolt isn't deep enough to accept the second bolt and torques the heads off both, in the meantime the MOP was a good 1/4 inch from being anywhere close to snug. So the bike has a Jpeg/MOP on the left side and just a Jpeg on the right...the other MOP is in a box.

I don't blame the bike for my not being comfortable...it is obvious to all of the other LT drivers I talked to that they understand what I was talking about but not experiencing the same discomfort.
post #11 of 14 Old Sep 5th, 2008, 2:59 pm

Many of us had the same symptoms concerning knee pain. Believe it or not, a new seat was the answer for me on my LT.

I hope you enjoy your Victory. It is a very cool looking bike. I get the same reaction from folks when I am out and about on my Ural. It take me an hour to run to the local store from folks wanting to ask questions.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 12:06 pm

My wife and I really like our 2005 K1200LT, and I find it very comfortable (even for my knees) at 6"4" and 70 years old, and I don't get heat from it.

Now if only BMW had a program for the FDs that would help bail us out if one craps out...........
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 7:28 pm

At 6'4" your knees are almost in your chest. I am only 5'10 and even with the lowering kit--I'd love to have my leggs extended more for the longer rides. The J-pegs are useless for me--I just cant stretch my crotch so far( darned tip over wings) and keep them there for a period. ON LONG RIDES i HAVE TO KEEP STANDING UP ON THE lt to relax my aching knees.
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 6th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesn
At 6'4" your knees are almost in your chest. I am only 5'10 and even with the lowering kit--I'd love to have my leggs extended more for the longer rides. The J-pegs are useless for me--I just cant stretch my crotch so far( darned tip over wings) and keep them there for a period. ON LONG RIDES i HAVE TO KEEP STANDING UP ON THE lt to relax my aching knees.
Sounds to me like maybe you have the XL Jpegs. There is a difference. My bike came with XL's and I didn't know the difference...till I tried to use them. I would have had to lay down to use them! I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam.
I traded with a member for the regular size ones and...they work great.
Just a thought.

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in