Final Drive... Other choices - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Final Drive... Other choices

As I stated in another thread, the more I think of it, the more frustrated I am about the problem. I started thinkin about what I could compromise and get instead of the LT. I know the GT has the same issue so I thought, hey maybe a R1200RT!!! Looked at the final drive problem register... of course, you know what I found.

Unbelievable- I've got to open my horizons, I guess...

I'll register this failure once I dig out the VIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:33 pm

Re: Final Drive... Other choices

I even had a final drive failure on my Schwinn Darn chain broke damn near ruined my manhood

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 8:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

You could look at a GS - oh wait, never mind.

Although I hear the new F800GS has a chain drive, if you can find one available anywhere . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 8:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
You could look at a GS - oh wait, never mind.

Although I hear the new F800GS has a chain drive, if you can find one available anywhere . . .

Gina's has two of them..................

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 9:50 am

Sorry for your troubles. I have been thinking lately of alternatives to the LT. I saw a new 08 Dodge Challenger and that would about make me give up the LT in a hearbeat... lol

I've actually been considering changing to a Mazda Miata... go figure. About the same size (!) no helmet required. Easier to get in and go. Motorcycles, while fun, are a lot of responsibility if you feel obligated to wear full gear - not very convenient. That's getting off topic now, though....

Good luck with it all.

Randy
post #6 of 8 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 10:45 am

Smile Re: Final Drive... Other choices

We are pretty happy with our FJR1300 for street and V-Strom for dual sport... Neither complaints on either with high mileage and no problems.

Oh, the FJR did develop a FD seal leak on a long ride coming back from CA. All seals replaced in FD @ WA dealership within a few days for about $280.00 Rode in and dropped off and rode out a few days later fixed.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #7 of 8 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Randy,

When I sold the 1st LT in Miami (sucks to ride an 800 lb bike that likes to be sporty in the flatlands down there), the wife told me to get a roadster. After reviewing all comparators in the price point I was at, I chose the Honda S2000. More power than the BMW and comparable Audi, Mazda, etc, etc plus costs less. And great reviews. Also, like the K12, not everyone has one and that appeals to me for some reason (that's part of why I dread even thinking HD. That and I don't have any pirate clothes).

I found a used Suzuka Blue with all options (xm, sporty shifter, wheel locks, and removable hardtop). It was a blast to drive... I got tired of it after 10 months. I'm just not up to the stiff sportiness without amenities. Sold it and got an Infiniti (again, faster than all comparators: BMW , Acura, Lexus, etc). Can't say not everyone's got one, though...

I'm not sure what I'll do. Chances are the parts will come in within 20 days, so I won't be able to invoke the Lemon Law. With only 7000 (6500 at failure) miles, I should be able to, though. I was disappointed to see that the GT's and RT's have the same problem. It's amazing.

I'm not worried about being stranded somewhere, I'm worried it may go without any audible or tactile signal, I'll take a nice right and down she could go. And I'm just tired of dealing with it.

Anybody got any kool-aid? I think mines wearing off.

Thanks.
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:55 pm

Let's face it you don't buy beemers to save money. I love mine, but I'm not delusional on whether it is a reliable machine anymore than a rice burner. It's all about mystique I guess for some. For me I like the way everything works , when it's working and the only thing I don't much like is the inconsistencies in maintenance cost from dealer to dealer. If you are lucky and find one that is ethical and forthright you still can plan on spending a ton more dough than on alternative bikes. Sure some are as bad, Harleys come to mind but overall it is the same old story from my racing days. IF you want to play you got to pay and the BMW manufacturer knows that so they have no problem developing products no one else quite has and charging a ransom for you to enjoy them.

Pricing parts just makes your head swim. I have more in my ATGATT gear than I did in my first two bikes. YIKES. but the stuff is unique. What's a feller to do ., If you like it you just buckle up and pay the ransom.

It is like rape, if you relax it dont' hurt as bad.

No matter where you go , there you are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in