Where can I get colored map for profile? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Where can I get colored map for profile?

I really like the maps some of you have in your profiles, the ones that show the whole country, US or Canada, with states and provinces you have visited filled in with colors.

I can claim a few of the western states over the years on a variety of bikes, Triumphs, Goldwings, and a couple of Beemers. I'd like to document them with a map of my own.

Where/how can I get one?

Thanks

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 old Airheads & 1 Oilhead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 4:56 pm

Re: Where can I get colored map for profile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allred
I really like the maps some of you have in your profiles, the ones that show the whole country, US or Canada, with states and provinces you have visited filled in with colors.

I can claim a few of the western states over the years on a variety of bikes, Triumphs, Goldwings, and a couple of Beemers. I'd like to document them with a map of my own.

Where/how can I get one?

Thanks
http://www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
post #3 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:16 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, got it. Now to just get it posted in profile.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

post #4 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks, got it. Now to just get it posted in profile.

Well, maybe not so fast. Is the proper place for the map in profile or signature?

I found signature edit screen, and the add image icon, but what do I do from there? I tried copying & pasting the image of my new map, that didn't work. Also tired entering the url for the map after uploading it to my online storage server file. That didn't work either. Can't find any instructions in the site FAQ's .....so....

How do I get map image to show up in my signature?

Thanks again.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

post #5 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:50 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Well, maybe not so fast. Is the proper place for the map in profile or signature?

I found signature edit screen, and the add image icon, but what do I do from there? I tried copying & pasting the image of my new map, that didn't work. Also tired entering the url for the map after uploading it to my online storage server file. That didn't work either. Can't find any instructions in the site FAQ's .....so....

How do I get map image to show up in my signature?

Thanks again.
Build a map with the states you visited, choose the size and format. Follow the instructions on the website and save the picture using a right mouse click and 'save picture as'. Then you need to store the picture on some website - you can use the gallery on this website. If you use our gallery you will see a location labled 'BB Image Code:' under your image after you upload it. Copy that entire line and paste it in your signature.

After that is done all you need to to do is enclose the full URL in the image tags - my image files look like this:

http://www.prades.net/images/VisitedStatesMapsm.jpg
http://www.prades.net/images/VisitedProvincesMapsm.jpg

If you enclose the URL in image tags it will look like this:

PHP Code:
[img]http://www.prades.net/images/VisitedStatesMapsm.jpg[/img] 
You will note that I have created two images, one for the US states and the other for the Canadian provinces. You also want to keep the size small, so that you don't overwhelm your posts. Mine are about 80 pixels high. If you need some more help, let me know.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #6 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Randy

I did create & save the map image, then uploaded it to our server at work, to public file that I use for internet reference. I copied that url to the edit signature screen, but for some reason it did not work.

I was in a hurry and probably made some fat fingered key-board error . I'll try again this evening when I have more time.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

post #7 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 6:15 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Thanks, Randy

I did create & save the map image, then uploaded it to our server at work, to public file that I use for internet reference. I copied that url to the edit signature screen, but for some reason it did not work.

I was in a hurry and probably made some fat fingered key-board error . I'll try again this evening when I have more time.
As I illustrated above the URL must be enclosed in IMG tags

[img] image url here [/img]

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #8 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:14 pm

Quote:
Thanks, Randy

make sure you right click on the picture and go to properties to get the url. Thats the link you need to paste between the [img]

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 8:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've been meaning to ask you, Randy - what have you got against Maine? Or Vermont or New Hampshire, for that purpose. Or is that where CCR '10 is being held . . .

Hmm, should I create a map of all the states I've visited on Beemers, or just the states that I've broken down in?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:09 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I've been meaning to ask you, Randy - what have you got against Maine? Or Vermont or New Hampshire, for that purpose. Or is that where CCR '10 is being held . . .

Hmm, should I create a map of all the states I've visited on Beemers, or just the states that I've broken down in?
I've nothing against them -or- the eastern provinces of Canada for that matter. Michelle wants to visit several homes of Canadian Hockey in the eastern provinces and both of us want to visit Nova Scotia. We actually just had to shelve plans to hit all of that next spring, perhaps in 2010.

As far as the breakdown thing, I think that is a great idea. We all know that Murphy will come into play - if you are really trying to get a state on your breakdown chart, it will never happen

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:10 am Thread Starter

Yahoo! Success on third try

Thanks again, Randy and all who coached me through it!

Now....it's clearly evident I need to balance that Western States bias.

Bob Allred
Riverton, Utah
'03 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in