Would you buy it? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Would you buy it?

I was looking at an almost new LT and something was bugging me about the age and mileage. 5,000 in 6 months (approx 250 miles a week), then sell? The other thing was it was registered one week before the new years plate was issued. I then found out it has been in the hands of a magazine for an 1100 mile road test?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:06 am

Re: Would you buy it?

Would I buy it? Absolutely.... if I wanted an LT.

2014 R1200RT WC

As Woody Guthrie says, Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, its all a mystery in the end.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 9:14 am Thread Starter

I have an alternative option; slightly older bike, less miles, slightly cheaper and includes Intercom, Cd etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:05 am

Who was the first owner? How many owners? Was it a dealer demo? registered for bonus? What magazine? Extended warranty?

Lots of questions - your decision.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by axamax
I was looking at an almost new LT and something was bugging me about the age and mileage. 5,000 in 6 months (approx 250 miles a week), then sell? The other thing was it was registered one week before the new years plate was issued. I then found out it has been in the hands of a magazine for an 1100 mile road test?
I'm not sure I would buy it based on every UK motorcycle magazine I've looked at. Each and every review I've seen lately has a picture of the motorcycle doing a wheelie. All of them.

Based on that, and what I've read, the magazine reviewers have a tendency to push the motorcycle to its limits to test its endurance, perofrmance, etc. So they have definetely shortened its lifespan. How much though is the real question.

If the motorcycle is still under warrenty, you could buy an extended warrenty, and the price were right then I might consider it.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:55 pm Thread Starter

That's what I'm worried about. I'm not sure it's a good way to start life with a bike when there is something bothering you. It is still under warranty, but I seem to remember my R45 didn't like being wheelied.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in