Almost silly to say - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:41 am Thread Starter

Almost silly to say

I left yesterday for a brief trip down to a winery about 20 miles of nice road south of me. They were having a band and a celebration for their first year in business. I was feeling a little out of sorts when I left -- nothing particular, just a little funky. Almost thought of not going. But almost as soon as I began to ride I began to feel euphoric and a feeling of utter happiness and well being came over me. The ride was pure joy for me and I realized, yet again, what magic machines are motorcycles and how even a little ride can transform your mood into utter gladness. It lasted all day. What I wonder is, what would do that for me if I didn't ride? I mean, what would do it so reliably each and every time?

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:15 am

Re: Almost silly to say

I used to go flying. Got my mind off of everything but the task at hand. When I got back from a flight I really could tell the change in outlook. Now flying has gotten prohibitively expensive. Sort of like being in love with a prostitute. You come home with this smile on your face and your wallet is empty. Explaining to your wife where the money went is tricky as all you have to show for it is a smile and better outlook on life, at least for a day or two. Now motorcycling I can afford and it really does improve my outlook on life after a even a quick run. And the wife can come along if she chooses. The bike doesn't mind.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #3 of 4 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 12:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredjj
I used to go flying. Got my mind off of everything but the task at hand. When I got back from a flight I really could tell the change in outlook. Now flying has gotten prohibitively expensive. Sort of like being in love with a prostitute. You come home with this smile on your face and your wallet is empty. Explaining to your wife where the money went is tricky as all you have to show for it is a smile and better outlook on life, at least for a day or two. Now motorcycling I can afford and it really does improve my outlook on life after a even a quick run. And the wife can come along if she chooses. The bike doesn't mind.
I used to fly, too. Flew for years for a company I work for. And I loved it. Felt at home and happy in the cockpit. Now it's just the MC and I don't even think about flying anymore.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #4 of 4 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:14 pm

Don't you feel bad for the majority of folks that never get to experience that 'feeling" you've described? It is magical! An LT is the closet you come to flying without leaving the ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in