High Sided my CLC today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

High Sided my CLC today

Well, Lindy and I are OK just a few bruises and a couple of minor injuries.

Our run to Talimena was cut short today.

Had just gotten on the Interstate, gotten up to speed and suddenly the bike starts to go all over the road. Rear tire went fast....

We fishtailed a bunch as I was trying to get it shut down. The slower we got the worse we were sliding. I can't tell you how many times we changed direction. Somehow, I still don't know quite how but I got over to the grass just as the bike went down right and then high sided. Flipped us off and threw us about 6 or 8 feet.

Several folks stopped and helped us right away.. Lindy's left wrist was hurt and my helmet caused my glasses to filet the bridge of my nose. My left hand and wrist hurt a little. I guess I came down on it.... So I put the skin back up on my nose and held it there a while... Surprisingly didn't bleed very much. Lindy's wrist is just a sprain.. Xrays revealed no serious injury apparent at this time.

Got a nice hickey on the lower part of the right sidebag.. A little grass rash on the nose fairing on the left side where she flipped... And the highway pegs that were mounted on the engine guards are banged up a little. But surprisingly the bike did very, very well.. I guess we were probably only going maybe 10 when she flipped...Almost had it stopped but the fishtail got worse as we got slower so I knew we were going to crash, Just didn't know where.

So, to all you guys using the Pirelli MT-66's on your bike. The sidewalls are worthless and put me into a very dangerous fishtail.. The tires will be replaced with a V rated something, Hopefully...

I believe the failure was the valve stem, One of those right angle pieces of crap...Looks pretty old as well....Get those valve stems changed with every new tire.....I almost died today for a two dollar part...I had just checked the air before we left and had handled that valve stem.

We were very, very lucky today and I'm going to go get a lottery ticket as soon as I finish here.

Here's a couple pics of the bike and my nose...

ATGATT kept us from being hurt worse than we were...WE WERE LUCKY SOMBICHES TODAY. We very easily could have been killed...

John & Lindy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0252.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	19307   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0255.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	19308   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0259.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	19309   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0260.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	19310   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0261.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	19311  

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0263.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	19312  

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:10 pm

Re: High Sided my CLC today

Damn! I'm glad you both walked away with minimal injuries. Just curious, if the valve stem failed why do you have a problem with the tires? Since they aren't run-flats a the basically did what they do with a catastrophic valve stem failure. I don't know what tires would stop deflation from happening and sidewalls stif enough to stand up with no air presure would probably handle like rocks. And I would recommend going back to the stock valve stems (probably don't need to tell you that). Many after market angled stems and stem caps are so heavy the centrifugal forrces will rip them off the rims at speed causing the failure you seem to have experienced.

I hope you're both better and riding real soon!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #3 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks David,.

The problem I have with the tires was the sidewall. That thing was swinging round like a wild pig ! I'm thinking that a V-rated sidewall might not cause the extreeme fishtail I experienced... I've had lots of flats at speed and things never got as out of hand as they did today....I've always been able to manage control...

All I could do today was try to minimize the damage.. We were going to crash one way or another...

I was saying my prayers cause I thought we were dead...

John

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 7:47 pm

John,

Thanks for sharing and I'm really glad you and your passenger are okay. I'm an AGATT kind of rider myself. Motorcycles can be replaced... Hope you heal fast.

Sincerely

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #5 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 8:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

John, glad the both of you are relatively unscathed.
A close call like this one can make you appreciate every moment you spend with the ones you love.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:02 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
The problem I have with the tires was the sidewall. That thing was swinging round like a wild pig ! I'm thinking that a V-rated sidewall might not cause the extreme fishtail I experienced... I've had lots of flats at speed and things never got as out of hand as they did today....I've always been able to manage control...
John -

So glad the situation didn't get any worse, and hope you and your wife heal fast. I can not imagine the "slower = worse" part and knowing that you are going down while two-up.

Had my 1st ever flat a few weeks ago at speed (about 80 mph) w/ my wife on the back and it was very uneventful. Like you, we had just gotten on the freeway, and within a few minutes felt the bike getting a little squirley - little abrupt wiggles - but nothing severe. I did get the feeling that I should not try to lean, so I just made my way to the side of the freeway as gingerly as possible, to find one very flat and very HOT Metzeler 880 rear w/ puncture mark just slightly off-center right.

This tire had a little over 9,000 miles on it. I'd agree with your suspicion about sidewall strength - I think the reinforced sidewalls saved us.

Again - heal fast!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #7 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:19 pm

Dang John, glad you all made it out okay with minimal injury. Those valve stems can be quite the little culprits. I was riding with the D/FW BMW club a year or so ago and I had a smart tire sensor at the time (put on by the p/o). Anyway, enjoying a nice ride and my alarm began indicating a low pressure warning in the rear tire. Long story short, it was the valve stem.

I was able to get it fixed at a car tire shop with the club crew in tow (great folks). I now have put ride-on in my tires so I do not have the smart tire sensor installed. I am thinking about getting the new tire pressure sensor that has come out that can work with the liquid inside.

Having that technology might or might not have helped in this scenario. Who knows? Just tossing out ideas.

Again, heal quick and glad ya'll are still with us.

Regards,

James

James Hart
2002 LTE Titan Silver
1992 Yamaha Virago 750 (given to friend)
River Oaks, TX
post #8 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

John and Lindy,

We are glad to hear you are OK and not hurt any more than you are. You guys are very, very lucky. (Although skill and experience had some part in this, I'm sure)

Heal well, and get back in the saddle quickly.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:35 pm

OUCH!!! that nose looks like it hurts! Glad you and your wife are OK!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #10 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:12 pm

Wow. Scary man.
Glad you were able to minimize the crash and keep yourselves relatively unscathed. That Schnozz looks like it's going to be sore for a week or two though.... you're going to have to come up with a good story for it... " you know, I was only going about 60 or so when the bridge collapsed..."

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #11 of 24 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:18 pm

Glad you are both ok thanks to ATGATT and some obvious skill and experience on your part. Once you have gathered your wits fully you might give us all an evaluation. Lots of info on riding skill and accident avoidance out there but not a lot of first hand "lessons learned". How do you evaluate the steps and skills that avoided a disaster?
post #12 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:12 am Thread Starter

You know, it's funny, the nose doesn't hurt at all..

My left hand and neck, well that's another story..

But, I'll heal up an so will Lindy..

The tire lost presssure so fast i'm not sure that anything could have warned us..

I'd like to think that some skill was involved but I just don't know. I was just holding on for dear life. We just both say "we could have been dead" about every 5 minutes or so...I think this was our one "free" get-off.

This morning we both have very stiff necks, and my hand is swollen now where it wasn't yesterday...Lindy's wrist looks better today than it did yesterday but it's still badly sprained...

I wiped around on the CLC yesterday, and other than the damage to the sidecase I think she'll fair pretty well. At least as good as us...Some of the scuffs came off so I'm cautiously optimistic about the bike..

But I can't ride it if having a flat means you're gonna die... Never have I experienced such a loss of control...

Gotta go see my tire guy next week...

See y'all later...

John & Lindy

post #13 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Glad you guys are OK.......I had a valve stem failure this summer. It went just as I was getting off a two lane onto a 4 lane. First time it ever happened to me and it happened fast. Pulled off and called a local cycle shop that was sponsoring the poker run I was on. Not much you can do with a bad valve stem on the road. I heard something about a recall on some Made in China. Wouldn't suprise me at all............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #14 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:03 am
rlv

John & Lindy I am elated that neither of you got hurt.
But John, man that snozola is a nose only a mother could love.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #15 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
John -

So glad the situation didn't get any worse, and hope you and your wife heal fast. I can not imagine the "slower = worse" part and knowing that you are going down while two-up.

Had my 1st ever flat a few weeks ago at speed (about 80 mph) w/ my wife on the back and it was very uneventful. Like you, we had just gotten on the freeway, and within a few minutes felt the bike getting a little squirley - little abrupt wiggles - but nothing severe. I did get the feeling that I should not try to lean, so I just made my way to the side of the freeway as gingerly as possible, to find one very flat and very HOT Metzeler 880 rear w/ puncture mark just slightly off-center right.

This tire had a little over 9,000 miles on it. I'd agree with your suspicion about sidewall strength - I think the reinforced sidewalls saved us.

Again - heal fast!
Wow, 9,000 miles is really pushing it on a rear tire. I found three bare spots on my Metzler rear with the cord showing thought at about 8,000. changed it immediately.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #16 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:32 am

This is why we can't have nice things...

Glad you guys are (will be?) alright.
post #17 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Wow, 9,000 miles is really pushing it on a rear tire. I found three bare spots on my Metzler rear with the cord showing thought at about 8,000. changed it immediately.
I'd be willing to bet that you're not running high enough pressures. A Metzeler should get 12-15K easy ... and more up front. (And I am an aggressive rider.) I rode with 50 psi in my rear tire, and never felt any compromise in traction as some have claimed. Try it. You just might like it.
post #18 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I'd be willing to bet that you're not running high enough pressures. A Metzeler should get 12-15K easy ... and more up front. (And I am an aggressive rider.) I rode with 50 psi in my rear tire, and never felt any compromise in traction as some have claimed. Try it. You just might like it.
Ditto on the higher pressure for mileage. About two tire changes ago the shop informed me of the increase in tire pressures, 42/48. Since I am on the heavy side of fit I increased the pressure to 44/50 and when I am doing any two up or long freeway rides I put another two in the rear tire. Bridgestones are my current tires and the front needed replacement at about 9000 with minimal cupping just decreased tread depth. The rear was down to an 1/8th of an inch so I left that on and still put another 3000 on with mimimal wear that I can detect. Kind of wondering about that as I wasn't sparing the horses on the last 3000. Looks like it might last another 2000 or more before the wear bars show.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #19 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:21 am

You were lucky.

How did you slow the bike down?

How much pressure did you have in the tire?

JON
post #20 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 3:29 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Tire was new in April '08 - always at 48psi and had plenty of tread left. The tire was fine otherwise - just must have hit a nail square.

btw - my 1st rear Metz had over 17K - and I have never seen any cord on any of my tires.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #21 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 4:15 pm

What no one has mentioned is the CLC runs a very high bias rear tire compared to all other beemers and has more sidewall for obvious reasons. The hardest sidewalls are Conti's according to my brother who blew a front and rear out at sixty once and has sworn by them ever since. Of course his Suzuki was no cruiser and those "fat " rears are not happy with blowouts or what you experienced either way.

As for the Mezler Road Attacks , I am hoping to do much better on them and I too believe higher pressures is the key. I'm running 36 42 during my first thousand miles then going up a couple of pounds each ride until I find the happy place. I weigh about 190 and my co rider who goes sometimes weighs about 140 so I will add more for that occassion. as it is I think I felt underinflated this last trip out. Stuck good in the twisties though.

Sorry for your incident, that had to have been very scary indeed and yes dealers always change the stem with each new tire on tubless tires. Litigation being what it is they pretty much have to. M akes sense I reckon.

Blessings

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #22 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:02 pm

Glad you guys are ok, I have had flats on my RTP twice, the front. Both times the valve stem, but I had a heavy valve stem cap, a gold pig, after the second time, bemoved the gold pig cap, never had a problem after that. I believed the pig stem cap contributed to the valve stem failure. The new RTP do not use the rubber valve stem anymore.

How did you bust your nose?????

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #23 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

John,

The nose was filet'd by the bridge of my glasses being forced down by the top of my helmet... We basically flew off the left side when she high sided and flipped over. I did a nice face plant in the dirt... Didn't even feel it... I was asking Lindy if she was ok and she just was looking at me and said, Better look at your nose, some of it is misplaced...

I looked in the mirror and that piece was hanging off to the front... I just stuck it back on...

Think I'll be getting some "different" glasses to ride in from now on...

Thank God for lortab and mussel relaxers..

John

post #24 of 24 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 7:53 pm

John, glad you guys are ok (relatively speaking)... take it easy and heal well...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in