Dear BMW Riders - Please chill out! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

Dear BMW Riders - Please chill out!

I love BMW's. I had a few in my time including an old R100. Along with it, I have several bikes in my garage. One bike I am fond of riding on local trips is a Harley Superglide. Yes I can hear the laughing and gagging from here - which is why I am sending this to all my biker friends who ride those nice Beemers.

Really - what is the problem with some of you guys? Now, not to blame everyone here, but some of you have a serious attitude problem. Why, no matter how close I am following a car in front of me, do you get the sudden urge to have to pass into a dangerous situation. Even after I put on my turn signal to turn left at my house, a group still insisted on passing me - on the left!

Today I had not one, but four newish R1200 RT's bunch up on my ass while I was closer than 25 feet behind a car doing 50mph up a winding mountain road in San Diego. Was it the Harley? Are you so impressed with yourself that you needed me to see you? Get over yourself! Like most riders, I like most bikes and provide courtesy on the road no matter what someone is riding. I have been riding for over 40yrs and I have never seen such rotten atttudes in fellow bikers in my life! Your acting like teenagers on crotch rockets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:27 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Dear BMW Riders - Please chill out!

I never follow HD's or slow cars especially on a nice mountain road. If you didn't slide over so they could pass you AND the car then shame on you.

When I'm on my LT I always move over for the sport bike guys so they can do their thing. Why hold them up?

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:38 pm

I have a BMW and a Harley, so I can say this: never follow a Harley too closely, you may be struck by flying parts!
It does amuze me though. When I ride my Harley, Beemers won't wave at me. When I ride my BMW, Harleys won't wave! ME? I just quit waving all together.

post #4 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:40 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be-nice-have-fun
Today I had not one, but four newish R1200 RT's bunch up on my ass while I was closer than 25 feet behind a car doing 50mph up a winding mountain road in San Diego.
Cutting you off as you are signalling to turn into your driveway is clearly wrong.

However, as for the above - seems like you were the problem here. Why were you tailgating the car? Either pass the car, or follow at a safe distance.

Sounds like the BMW's were trying to pass you and the car. Had you left the proper distance, the BMW's could have passed you, and then passed the car when safe.

Sorry - I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but from what you've described, that's how I see it.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
I have a BMW and a Harley, so I can say this: never follow a Harley too closely, you may be struck by flying parts!
It does amuze me though. When I ride my Harley, Beemers won't wave at me. When I ride my BMW, Harleys won't wave! ME? I just quit waving all together.

Interesting how that happens. Seems like the Harleys wave only when they are two up. If the HD has ape hanger bars, no wave at all. Must be tired from hanging on?
post #6 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:55 pm

I don't understand the mentality that it's appropriate to pass someone because they aren't going as fast as you would like.
It's appropriate to pass if they are going less than the speed limit or conditions allow - not to accomodate someone's percieved right to speed and drive in an unsafe manner.
Speaking of manners, seems there are some folks who don't seem to have any.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #7 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 6:55 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1098
If the HD has ape hanger bars, no wave at all. Must be tired from hanging on?
I think their vision is impared from the all the vibration!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #8 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Sounds like the BMW's were trying to pass you and the car. Had you left the proper distance, the BMW's could have passed you, and then passed the car when safe.
+1 on that -- that's how I read it. When I notice a bike behind me I always give 'em room to pass. Sometimes that means simply not going as fast as I otherwise would when there's a passing zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
I don't understand the mentality that it's appropriate to pass someone because they aren't going as fast as you would like.
There's no other appropriate reason to pass! The mentality is simple and matches the law: slower traffic keep right, or keep right except to pass. (I love that they're changing the signs to reflect this now.) If I choose to exceed the speed limit, that's my problem, not yours.

The problem I frequently run into is with cars who also exceed the speed limit on the straights, but won't take turns as fast. So either I putt putt around the corners behind them, or am forced to pass at an inappropriate spot.

When preparing to pass I also often get closer to the car in front of me than I would if just driving. Some might call this tailgating, but since I'm at the edge of the lane I can see around (or over) them and have a place to go should the need arise, so I don't worry myself about it.
post #9 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
There's no other appropriate reason to pass! The mentality is simple and matches the law: slower traffic keep right, or keep right except to pass. (I love that they're changing the signs to reflect this now.) If I choose to exceed the speed limit, that's my problem, not yours.
Now, are you speaking about being on the highway, or a secondary road as described above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonafidebob
am forced to pass at an inappropriate spot.
You need to reevaluate your position here - no one is "forcing" you to do something illegal, or worse, unsafe - you are "choosing" to.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #10 of 94 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 11:02 pm

Anyone have cheese?
post #11 of 94 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 12:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
...no one is "forcing" you to do something illegal, or worse, unsafe - you are "choosing" to.
You're absolutely right, poor choice of words on my part there.

When I come up behind a slower vehicle on a winding mountain road, I've pretty much already made the decision to pass at the next available and safe opportunity. That's my choice.

As the driver of a vehicle being passed, however, you also have some say in the matter. You can help me achieve the pass in a safe manner, or you can act in such a way as to make the pass harder or even impossible to complete safely. I've seen drivers make both choices. I appreciate the ones that help, they always get a wave.
post #12 of 94 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 6:26 am

I don't know why you all are feeding the troll... He has one post and will never return to view this.

As for my.o2...
Harley riders have jaded me. When I see a Harley, my first thought is inexperienced rider.
And this is usually a fact here in the mountains.
Then I reel them in and pass.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #13 of 94 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 7:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Passing on the left after you see a left turn signal on the vehicle is a rather dumb thing to do. I might scoot by on the right but certainly wouldn't pass on the left. As far as waving, I wave at everyone. Most wave back. Some don't. Sometimes they just don't see you wave. I've missed many riders waving because of concentrating on what is going on with my side of the road. And the one's that don't wave after seeing you wave, probably aren't the kind of people you'd want to know anyway. And as for the speed limit, I tend to run slightly over the speed limit most of the time. Usually around 10 mph over. It's just me. And I may draft off you a little on the two lane road roads here when attempting to pass. The rolling hills don't give you much time to pass in some places. I won't crowd you though. I hate tailgaters myself. And I afford the same courtesy to fellow bikers. It's those weenies that get out in that left passing lane and just STAY there that bothers me. Oh, and the ones that sit at the stop sign where the highway goes from 2 lane to 4 lane and won't turn right into their protected lane until ALL traffic coming from their left has passed. It defeats the whole purpose of the striping and flashing lights. It might as well be 2 lane........... So much for my Saturday morning rant.......Ride safe, but ride.......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #14 of 94 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock1098
Interesting how that happens. Seems like the Harleys wave only when they are two up. If the HD has ape hanger bars, no wave at all. Must be tired from hanging on?
With the ape hangers, there is no blood left in their hands so they CAN'T let go...or is it the vibration has them so worried that they are SCARED to let go No matter, I wave at everyone, enjoy my ride and do so safely. Best way to get back home in one piece.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #15 of 94 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 9:18 am

Funny this should come up. Only yesterday I found myself creeping along a mountain road behind a group of Harly (type cruiser) bikes and a honda. This was not only going to take way too long but it was going to ruin a nice drive home and I was in the saddle already for near six hours and headed back on two lane only paradise. Well I'm not a yellow line breaker and mostly up here in GA we move over and do a wave by. These guys or were they gals couldn't tell really, were litterly tip toeing around the bends . Had they ben a car or truck going the speed limit I'd have just kicked back and enjoyed the view.

No they were bunched up holding up the car in front of me who could obviously drive and they were actually running way below the speed limit.

Nothing wrong with that.

When I got a clear shot , albeit a short one, I cranked passed them all as did the Honda after me . Now I hope someone like yourself was not in the group and found my behavior snobby or worse because it was a clear case of gotta go gotta go and I have no malice toward cruisers but I am not going to follow them endlessly on nice mountain passes if I can help it. I'll pull over and take a break first.

When the Harley guys wave me buy i make sure and acknowlege them as I am jealous at times they seem so relaxed , but that is not what RT is about and so let's all recognize and give the road to the faster driver even if once in a while they don't deserve it for bad behavior,.

As for crotch rockets. I got two buddies that ride em and I bring up the rear mostly because I'm not willing to ride 9-tenths on a street or road enviornment. That shit is for track days. But we do use the road in a brisk way and when they run off from me they always stop at the next intersection . Lately they have not had to wait long. LOL

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #16 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 7:02 am

1 post.

Troll.

Ignore.

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #17 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:02 am

Well, any rider can be smart or stupid and I don't find it to one brand of bike. I can say I will pass the cruisers often because I don't care to hear the loud pipes and crawl along at a boring speed or crawl through the turns. I rarely get waved by but if a group comes up on my I am happy to move over and let them by.

We all need to be better drivers on the road and remember to think of others as well when we ride. The one thing I can say is if your in a large group of bikes then you should always be aware of others around you and let them by if needed.

We all need to be smart and courteous of cars and other bikes. Drive smart

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #18 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:39 am

I don't pass just Harleys!

I PASS ALL OF THEM!!!

As far as the waving thing is concerned, I try to wave at everyone. The best thing to do is not worry about whether they wave back or not. I'm not going to let the actions of some change what I do.
post #19 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:20 am

Re: Dear BMW Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

I'm not going to let the actions of some change what I do.
Now there's a quote "suitable for framing"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #20 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 12:22 pm

I clearly see the problem. The Harley rider THOUGHT his left signal was on but in fact the bulb filament was broken due to extreme vibration. Of course the polite and thoughtful BMW riders would have yielded to him had they in fact been able to SEE the signal.
post #21 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be-nice-have-fun
I love BMW's. I had a few in my time including an old R100. Along with it, I have several bikes in my garage. One bike I am fond of riding on local trips is a Harley Superglide. Yes I can hear the laughing and gagging from here - which is why I am sending this to all my biker friends who ride those nice Beemers.

Really - what is the problem with some of you guys? Now, not to blame everyone here, but some of you have a serious attitude problem. Why, no matter how close I am following a car in front of me, do you get the sudden urge to have to pass into a dangerous situation. Even after I put on my turn signal to turn left at my house, a group still insisted on passing me - on the left!

Today I had not one, but four newish R1200 RT's bunch up on my ass while I was closer than 25 feet behind a car doing 50mph up a winding mountain road in San Diego. Was it the Harley? Are you so impressed with yourself that you needed me to see you? Get over yourself! Like most riders, I like most bikes and provide courtesy on the road no matter what someone is riding. I have been riding for over 40yrs and I have never seen such rotten atttudes in fellow bikers in my life! Your acting like teenagers on crotch rockets.

[SARCASM] Nice first post, it's great to see you're wanting to try and fit in. [/SARCASM]

So are you going to all the BMW centric websites and posting this, ot did you feel annoying us was enough?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #22 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 1:56 pm

90% of the replies to this post (no, I didnt do the math) are simply confirming the posters observations. I dont see the type of behavior described when I'm out on the road, but I read the attitude in the immature replies to this post and assume that thats the attitude you ride with... Grow up!
post #23 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick_haus
...but I read the attitude in the immature replies to this post and assume that thats the attitude you ride with... Grow up!
You ain't the boss of me!!!

I don't wanna grow up . . . I'm a Toys-R-Us kid!
post #24 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick_haus
90% of the replies to this post (no, I didnt do the math) are simply confirming the posters observations. I dont see the type of behavior described when I'm out on the road, but I read the attitude in the immature replies to this post and assume that thats the attitude you ride with... Grow up!
You and I will have to agree to disagree. What we have is a guy who signs up on the site today and in his first and only post blindly and broadly takes this entire community to task for the actions of a bunch of other guys who were riding RTs, this with no knowledge of whether those guys frequent this site, the behavior and personality of this community in general, or any other pretinent information that this would be the right place to vent his spleen about his issue. I know I don't ride an RT and I don't pass guys on Harleys or any other bike without making sure they know I'm coming first. So if I take some offense and fire back at him I surely don't feel bad about it.

His post is the classic behavior of a forum "troll"; someone who comes in with the only goal of causing controversy and stirring the pot by posting drivel like this. I completely hate troll-like behavior (more than I do slow Harley riders ) on this and other sites, so there again I have no problem taking an asshat who's trolling to task. And I support the others who actually have spent some time here, know what this community is about, and don't like asshat trolls, either.

And don't tell me to grow up, I'll come over there and spit in your milk!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #25 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 6:34 pm

MMMM, spit milk and oreos!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #26 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 8:33 pm

I am not defending the post, the poster or his intentions. Maybe he's just venting, maybe a troll, I dont know. Maybe he brings out a valid point though, if we dont want to be stereotyped as such an abrasive bunch, we should let it be known that such behavior is unacceptable. I have just recently purchased my first BMW(owned many others before and have always had at least one) and am so far enjoying it, ALOT. But I do see many posts and replies on this site that transmit a very arrogant and egotistical attitude. More so than ANY other community that I have been part of. It seems that if I dont ride like you ride, dress like you dress and most importantly ride what you ride, then I am not going to be accepted by you.

THAT IS NOT WHAT BEING A BIKER IS ALL ABOUT.

Spit in my milk??? YUK!
post #27 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 8:44 pm

brick_haus
That is pretty good... You just got two posts on this one thread.
You are up to eight now.

Harley riders are known for being rolling road blocks.
If they don't like the image that they portray, then maybe they should rethink their attitude.

I refuse to show respect to any idiot on a Harley riding to slow with loud pipes.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #28 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Harley riders are known for being rolling road blocks.
If they don't like the image that they portray, then maybe they should rethink their attitude.

I refuse to show respect to any idiot on a Harley riding to slow with loud pipes.
I have a moto: Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. It doesn't matter to me and I have no ego in it.

BUT, after being in the saddle for 14 hours yesterday and 8 today I think I MIGHT have lost my patience. About 15 miles from my house, on the way home, there's a nice twisty bit called The Devil's Backbone. It's 45 thru there and a pack of them there Harley's were going thru it at 30. Now, I rode Harley for 20 some odd years and I know they'll go faster than that. They didn't lead, follow, nor were they inclined to get the hell out of the way.

I passed them on the shoulder and we won't mention how fast, but I did catch a finger as I went by.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #29 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:13 pm

I have to admit; most of us are dumb, backwards, liberal, conservative, gun nut, premium oil sucking freaks. BUT WE ARE NOT ARROGANT.
post #30 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
brick_haus
That is pretty good... You just got two posts on this one thread.
You are up to eight now.

And my post count has what to do with anything?
If you wanted to make an intelligent response to my post, you just blew it.
post #31 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 9:31 pm

Two weeks ago yesterday, I stopped by the House of Harley here in Anchorage to purchase some cloths used for cleaning the chrome on my LT. Parked my bike and prior to dismounting an individual decked out in his non conformists attire asked me…”What the Hell you doing bringing that bike to this dealership?” Now granted that this individual had nothing to do with the dealership (and the minority I'm sure) but I had to laugh and ask…Your kidding; right? Then walked off not expecting/wanting an answer.

Sounds to me that there is a very small percentage of bike owners that have an attitude regardless of what brand they ride. I suggest that those with an attitude…Build a bridge and get over it!

2006 Triumph Tiger
2007 Kawaski 500 LTD
2009 BMW K 1200 LT

Alaska - The best kept secret in the entire U S of A!

I do not have a problem with God, it's his fan clubs that I do not agree with.
post #32 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAlaska
Sounds to me that there is a very small percentage of bike owners that have an attitude regardless of what brand they ride. I suggest that those with an attitude…Build a bridge and get over it!

What he said^^^
post #33 of 94 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 11:25 pm

I don't care about the brand of motorcycle someone rides. I don't really care about the car brand either. I do care about the jerks that pass in inappropriate (read illegal) places onteh road though. I live in Fallbrook and right down the road from me is I-76 and the twisties to Palomar.

My view is simple (I abide by it), the only place to pass is when the passing lane opens up. Not a double yellow. Not a blind curve. If you plan to do so, don't expect me to get out of your way. I'm obeying the law, but more importantly I'm obeying reasonable safety considerations and I expect you to do so as well.

If you choose to not follow basic safety considerations, then not only are you putting yourself at risk, but you are putting me at risk. Plus you are putting anyone on the other lane at risk too!

I will admit that I have been known to go faster than the legal speed limit, but never above my skill level. Plus, I always attempt to make sure my motorcycle is maintained well so it will not fail me at a critical time (I hope!). But I'm not a A$$hole that will jump a double yellow line either. I'll suck it up and wait for that passing lane to open up.

If you want to kill yourself, I have no problem with that. Buy a gun and do the job right.

If you want to ride fast and push the envelope, go pay for a track day. Public roads are not the place to be pushing it and risking other's lives.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #34 of 94 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 7:51 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInAlaska
Two weeks ago yesterday, I stopped by the House of Harley here in Anchorage to purchase some cloths used for cleaning the chrome on my LT. Parked my bike and prior to dismounting an individual decked out in his non conformists attire asked me…”What the Hell you doing bringing that bike to this dealership?” Now granted that this individual had nothing to do with the dealership (and the minority I'm sure) but I had to laugh and ask…Your kidding; right? Then walked off not expecting/wanting an answer.

If that was said to me, I would
1) ignore them & continue on with my business.
2) ignore them & continue on with my business, but inform the owner/manager that my money wasn't wanted here by the individual.
3) ignore them & inform the owner/manager that my money was not wanted here & then go someplace else & spend it.
4) or go as far as gathering all the items I wanted to purchase, hopefully a large dollar amount, put them on the counter, then tell the owner/manager I was going to spend some money here, but...

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"

Last edited by Ron_Kendall; Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:59 am. Reason: ????
post #35 of 94 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Kendall
If that was said to me, I would
1) ignore them & continue on with my business.
2) ignore them & continue on with my business, but inform the owner/manager that my money wasn't wanted here by the individual.
3) ignore them & inform the owner/manager that my money was not wanted here & then go someplace else & spend it.
4) or go as far as gathering all the items I wanted to purchase, hopefully a large dollar amount, put them on the counter, then tell the owner/manager I was going to spend some money here, but...
You just need a quick come back. Like, "O, I am sorry, I just wanted to see where all those Harley's on the back of pick up trucks went?" and laugh, then walk off. We get those stupid a$$ questions all the time on our RTPs.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #36 of 94 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I'm obeying the law, but more importantly I'm obeying reasonable safety considerations and I expect you to do so as well.

I will admit that I have been known to go faster than the legal speed limit, but never above my skill level.
So, what's it going to be? Are you going to obey the law, or not? Or, do you choose not to obey the law because of your skill level?

Quote:
But I'm not a A$$hole that will jump a double yellow line either. I'll suck it up and wait for that passing lane to open up.
What if that double yellow is two miles long with a perfect view? I'm one of those assholes that jump the double yellow, but not blindly. A ton of double yellows are "engineered" for the passing ability of a blind grandmother.

Quote:
If you want to kill yourself, I have no problem with that. Buy a gun and do the job right.
Sigh. That's what my momma said when I started riding motorcycles. She still says it. Would you mind trotting out into the kitchen and getting me a glass of milk?

Quote:
If you want to ride fast and push the envelope, go pay for a track day. Public roads are not the place to be pushing it and risking other's lives.
Yes, mom. I'm hanging my head and will change my evil ways simply because you told me to.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #37 of 94 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
I have to admit; most of us are dumb, backwards, liberal, conservative, gun nut, premium oil sucking freaks. BUT WE ARE NOT ARROGANT.
Oh yes I am! Whenever I see a Harley, it's time to seek and destroy; they are a nuisance and always in the frickin' way. I also pass on double yellows and would probably spit in someone's milk if the opportunity arose.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #38 of 94 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:25 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
Oh yes I am! Whenever I see a Harley, it's time to seek and destroy; they are a nuisance and always in the frickin' way. I also pass on double yellows and would probably spit in someone's milk if the opportunity arose.
Deb,

This must have been the guys riding on US 40 east of Vernal on Saturday.

Support truck and all.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #39 of 94 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Deb,

This must have been the guys riding on US 40 east of Vernal on Saturday.

Support truck and all.

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #40 of 94 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 11:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608

See, I knew I liked you for a reason!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #41 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 4:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
So, what's it going to be? Are you going to obey the law, or not? Or, do you choose not to obey the law because of your skill level?.
No, it means I go faster than the legal limit because that's what you have to do in traffic or potentially become a piece of road kill. It also means the little yellow cautionary signs on curves that suggest a lower speed limit are usually ignored. I know where/how my motorcycle will handle the curves and do so at a safe speed.

Quote:
What if that double yellow is two miles long with a perfect view? I'm one of those assholes that jump the double yellow, but not blindly. A ton of double yellows are "engineered" for the passing ability of a blind grandmother.
Then I wait. Sijmple as that. And as you pointed out, if you don't then you are one of those assholes riding dangerously, putting a bad view in the public's eye, and when caught deserver to get a ticket or loose your license.

Quote:
Sigh. That's what my momma said when I started riding motorcycles. She still says it. Would you mind trotting out into the kitchen and getting me a glass of milk?

Yes, mom. I'm hanging my head and will change my evil ways simply because you told me to.
No milk, but if/when you are a bleeding piece of meat on the road I might stop by with my first aid kit to help stabilize you until the ambulance arrives. If I can.

Nor am I your mother. Wouldn't want to be either. It's always easy to tell the less mature minded or safety concious riders by their actions.

I don't post these opinions to be mean about it either. If I were to do somethign like that I might suggest that your user name implies that you are riding a scooter. I gave those up when I was about 8 years old. Now I ride motorcycles (not bikes either).

post #42 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:24 pm

Quote:
I don't post these opinions to be mean about it either. If I were to do somethign like that I might suggest that your user name implies that you are riding a scooter. I gave those up when I was about 8 years old. Now I ride motorcycles (not bikes either).
Kewl, with your experience on motorcycles, mayhaps you can tell me how to get rid of the 1/8" of chicken strip I have on my scoot.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #43 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:30 pm

Quote:
Kewl, with your experience on motorcycles, mayhaps you can tell me how to get rid of the 1/8" of chicken strip I have on my scoot.
Lean more?

post #44 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:46 pm
Rider Journeyman

Howdy Arthur,

California appears to have changed policy from making dashed lines on the road to double yellow for the entire stretches of roadway. Not all of them, but it seems that it is happening more and more. My guess is that they want to simply avoid the possibility of a "head-on" by simply making it illegal to pass.....regardless of the reasonable safety of passing.

Of course, the result is that if a vehicle, car, motorcycle, truck, elects not to pull over and let faster vehicles by then it becomes frustrating for those being impeded. Or in the case of a motorcycle, failing to simply slide to the right and wave the following motorcycle past..

I find that is always safer to wave motorcycles past, or pull over and let cars by than to insist that they stay behind me.

Would you have the same attitude if you were stuck behind a mini-van with a driver talking on a cell phone doing 10 under the limit, which is legal by the way, on a two lane with double yellow that extends for 20 miles. You see a straight away where it's safe to pass, but it's still double yellow. Do you go, or simply stay behind the mini-van....for the next 30 minutes?

In short, it's not for me to use my vehicle to force you to behave in a manner that I determine is safe (a relative term), nor is it for you to use your vehicle to force others to behave in a manner that you determine is safe for them.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #45 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:47 pm

Quote:
I'm with you on this one grif. (The more I read of your posts the more I want to ride with you -- I'll have to make an effort to come to one of these rally things y'all keep talking about.)

They should have motorcycle-only passing zones! It's so much easier to safely get around a car (or a harley) on a bike... it takes only a couple of seconds to make a safe pass, compared to tens of seconds in a car.

But to be fair to the Harley guys, on my recent CA-WI-CA trip I was passed by a pair of Harleys. It was on a straight section, I was doing 63 in a 55, and as I saw them come up (fast) behind me I moved to the right and waved them by. What was really surprising was that one of 'em was even towing a trailer. They even waved back -- nice guys!
post #46 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Would you have the same attitude if you were stuck behind a mini-van with a driver talking on a cell phone doing 10 under the limit, which is legal by the way, on a two lane with double yellow that extends for 20 miles. You see a straight away where it's safe to pass, but it's still double yellow. Do you go, or simply stay behind the mini-van....for the next 30 minutes?
I'd stay behind them for the next 30 minutes. In fact, I've been there and done just that. I ride out to Julian quite a few times a year. I know where the passing lanes are and use them, but if I'm stuck behind slow movoing traffic then I'm stuck. Just the way it is.

When I'm in my car and see a motorcycle trying to lane split on the highway I do leave room for them. I've done similar things on my LT to let riders pass me on Palomar mountain road. Partially because I don't want to impeed them, but mostly because I have a responsibility to my passenger and don't want to risk their safety. Some of the things these squids do is simply amazing (amazingly stupid & unsafe in my opinion).

I understand the frustration of being stuck behind slow moving traffic. Believe me I do, but still that's no reason to jump that double yellow line. Where I live, I've watched the signs pop up by DMV about not passing on I 76. It's a two lane road with almost no pasing zones. Those that were there between I 15 and Melrose were removed. Still I see people (almost all motorcycles) passing by crossing the double yellow. I see them doing it on straight aways and even blind corners (really really stupid). I had an idiot pass me (in my car) on Mission road in a blind uphill corner. He was doing well over 80 mph in a 50 zone. And then I watched him pass several more cars ahead of me. Bobbing and weaving for all he was worth. For what? To save a few minutes? Because he could get away with it?

post #47 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 1:28 pm

Smile Re: Dear BMW Riders - Please chill out!

Quote:
I always thought it was legal to cross a double yellow line if it was safe and there is no LEO in sight. Done it it for years in cars and on bikes and never got a ticket or had an accident.

Should I not do this any longer?

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

post #48 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Arthur,

California appears to have changed policy from making dashed lines on the road to double yellow for the entire stretches of roadway.
++
Would you have the same attitude if you were stuck behind a mini-van with a driver talking on a cell phone doing 10 under the limit,

They are doing that over here as well and extending the speed limits further out of the towns village.

Being on a cell phone is against the law in this country but the speed limit is that - a limit not a target.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #49 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 2:25 pm

Quote:
I'd stay behind them for the next 30 minutes.
See, I'm way too young and impatient for that. You older, and probably retired, guys have more time. I was also raised, and this is a common thing in Texans, to get out of the way of those that want around you. It's only common courtesy.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #50 of 94 Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 2:26 pm

Quote:
Lean more?
Ya think?

-=grif=-

Grok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in