Always check your helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Always check your helmet

I use two different helmets. For normal day to day commuting, I use a 1/2 helmet. For touring and two up riding I switch to a 3/4 helmet with speakers and mic. I took last Friday off work and my wife and I had a wonderful weekend visiting Sedona, Wupakti Monument, and then chasing the rain through the East Rim drive of the Grand Canyon. I wore my very comfortable 3/4 Shoei with intercom.

I left my 1/2 helmet sitting on a lawn chair in my carport. It stayed there until Monday morning, which came far too quick, and I was gearing up for another week at the pinger factory. I put the 3/4 back in the shed and grabbed the 1/2 mildly noting some cobwebs had gathered on the side.

Running a bit late, I ignored this seemingly inconsequential fact and strapped that thing on. I hike my leg over the bike and began the process of reversing out of the carport at a sharp left angle to turn around. Somewhere in this process, I noticed my hair. My hair is shorn short with a number one blade by my loving wife every six months whether it needs it or not. It's been about four months since the last shearing, so it's getting a bit unruly. So I, of course, thought that a cowlick was developing. Somewhere in the middle of the Y shaped turn around I realized that it was definitely not my hair, and something was moving on my head. I wanted very badly to not have the helmet on my head. I at least got the bike straighted and the kickstand down and tore the helmet from my head. I looked into it and saw nothing. I nervously stroked my head. Nothing. I then shook the helmet, and there she was on the ground. One pissed off Black Widow trying to figure out what had gone wrong with her day. To her credit she never did bite me.

I wore the 3/4 helmet to work and have continued to every day this week. I might not wear that other helmet again.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:59 pm

Re: Always check your helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlizard
I use two different helmets. For normal day to day commuting, I use a 1/2 helmet. For touring and two up riding I switch to a 3/4 helmet with speakers and mic. I took last Friday off work and my wife and I had a wonderful weekend visiting Sedona, Wupakti Monument, and then chasing the rain through the East Rim drive of the Grand Canyon. I wore my very comfortable 3/4 Shoei with intercom.

I left my 1/2 helmet sitting on a lawn chair in my carport. It stayed there until Monday morning, which came far too quick, and I was gearing up for another week at the pinger factory. I put the 3/4 back in the shed and grabbed the 1/2 mildly noting some cobwebs had gathered on the side.

Running a bit late, I ignored this seemingly inconsequential fact and strapped that thing on. I hike my leg over the bike and began the process of reversing out of the carport at a sharp left angle to turn around. Somewhere in this process, I noticed my hair. My hair is shorn short with a number one blade by my loving wife every six months whether it needs it or not. It's been about four months since the last shearing, so it's getting a bit unruly. So I, of course, thought that a cowlick was developing. Somewhere in the middle of the Y shaped turn around I realized that it was definitely not my hair, and something was moving on my head. I wanted very badly to not have the helmet on my head. I at least got the bike straighted and the kickstand down and tore the helmet from my head. I looked into it and saw nothing. I nervously stroked my head. Nothing. I then shook the helmet, and there she was on the ground. One pissed off Black Widow trying to figure out what had gone wrong with her day. To her credit she never did bite me.

I wore the 3/4 helmet to work and have continued to every day this week. I might not wear that other helmet again.

Dale White

Holy Sh&te!!!
I give you ALOT of credit for not jumping off that thing mid stride!
Thank God she didn't bite you, on the BRAIN no less!!!

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 10:50 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have been stung by bees three times. The first two times were motorcycle-related.

The first time wasn't that interesting. A bee hit me on the front of my leather jacket. No big deal; it happens all the time. They just bounce off. This time, however, the bee hung on, crawled around my jacket and somehow got to the back of my neck. Ouch.

--

The second time matches your experience.

I used to hang my helmet from the hook on my bike, and stuff my gloves inside. As fall approached, the bees would look for warm places to rest and warm up...

At the end of my work day, I put on my helmet and gloves and rode briskly down the highway. Just after reaching highway speed, I noticed something large wriggling near the tip of the middle finger on my right hand. Whatever it was, it wanted out real bad, right now. It is a very creepy feeling to have something wriggling INSIDE your glove.

To this day, I wonder what the people driving behind me were thinking as I tried to shake the glove off my right hand, while at the same time trying to stop the bike with the foot brake and still maintain stability. Gloves are designed NOT to come off in an accident, and certainly they are not designed to be easily shaken off while in motion.

Just as I got the bike pulled over and stopped, the bee stung my finger. Ouch.

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:02 am

I've never had such an experiance, but then again I always hang my helmet up in an emclosed garage (on a hook) or in the topcase. I never leave them exposed to the elements. And since I wear glasses, I always have to take them off, pop open the modular helment, grab the straps (which means I look right in to the center of the helmet), then pull it on.

Truth to tell, I'd much rather read about it than experiance it. It is defintiely an experiance I can do without. Good thing none of you were hurt.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

it will smell better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider

I used to hang my helmet from the hook on my bike, and stuff my gloves inside. As fall approached, the bees would look for warm places to rest and warm up...

Store your gloves away from your helmet and you'll get rid of that glove smell inside the helmet.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:38 am

I park in the Garage but if I leave the door open for a few hours birds try to make a nest in my helmet.; I leave the helmet on the stingray with the visor flipped up. It is hard getting all the straw out, it kindof sticks to the liner. I would rather have birds than spiders.
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:00 am

its too hot in my garage for helmets. the insides fall apart if you do that after a while. I lost a very good Bell by putting it in the attic both the open face and full face were useless. Of course they were older ones.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:38 am

My helmet is always stored in my top-case - along with gloves & vest. Isn't that why it's there????

The bee thing tho - I got a yellow-jacket up the pant leg at 60+ while traveling on 101. I got a lot of honks & cat-calls as I hit the skids & dropped my pants on the side of the highway - bloody thing nailed me 5 times - each time higher - until I got stopped & killed the #$$#$%, just below the jewels......

That was one of the driving forces for not using my -windshield, but no fairing - V-rod and "forward controls" on long trips...
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflemingor
My helmet is always stored in my top-case - along with gloves & vest. Isn't that why it's there????

The bee thing tho - I got a yellow-jacket up the pant leg at 60+ while traveling on 101. I got a lot of honks & cat-calls as I hit the skids & dropped my pants on the side of the highway - bloody thing nailed me 5 times - each time higher - until I got stopped & killed the #$$#$%, just below the jewels......

That was one of the driving forces for not using my -windshield, but no fairing - V-rod and "forward controls" on long trips...
BESIDE is the magic word, Not Inside the Helmet.... I keep mine there too if I'm on the road and not riding....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by dandiver; Aug 28th, 2008 at 12:29 pm.
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I have been stung by bees three times. The first two times were motorcycle-related.

The first time wasn't that interesting. A bee hit me on the front of my leather jacket. No big deal; it happens all the time. They just bounce off. This time, however, the bee hung on, crawled around my jacket and somehow got to the back of my neck. Ouch.

--

At the end of my work day, I put on my helmet and gloves and rode briskly down the highway. Just after reaching highway speed, I noticed something large wriggling near the tip of the middle finger on my right hand. Whatever it was, it wanted out real bad, right now. It is a very creepy feeling to have something wriggling INSIDE your glove.

To this day, I wonder what the people driving behind me were thinking as I tried to shake the glove off my right hand, while at the same time trying to stop the bike with the foot brake and still maintain stability. Gloves are designed NOT to come off in an accident, and certainly they are not designed to be easily shaken off while in motion.

Just as I got the bike pulled over and stopped, the bee stung my finger. Ouch.
One of the more interesting bee / motorcycle stories I've heard comes from my best friend. We had graduated from college in 1970 and right after graduation he flew to Europe where he bought a small motorcycle in the Netherlands (I can't remember what kind). He then began traveling around Europe in a clockwise direction. He had gotten to France in August and was somewhere way out in the countryside when a bee flew into his helmet and stung him, causing him to crash. Local emergency personel arrived and took him to a small, nearby clinic. By that time his face was very swollen from the bee sting. Unfortunately, he spoke no French and the people at the clinic spoke no English so he struggled in vain to explain that the swollen face was a result of the bee sting, and not the accident. Finally two days later a doctor came by on his rounds who spoke English and he was able to explain the situation and a day or two later, treated accordingly, he was on his way (sans motorcycle though).
post #11 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:26 pm

I had a bird make a nest inside of one of my helmets, sitting on top of my spare freezer INSIDE MY GARAGE. I normally close my garage, the only time when it is open is on weekends when I'm working in the yard, or tinkering with the cars or bikes.

But this is good advice to check helmets, I already shake out my boots or stinky sneakers I usually keep in the garage.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #12 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I always place my helmet inside the trunk on the LT. No Black Widows in there.

He he
post #13 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 5:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Happened to me up in Maine
Woke up, had coffee, broke camp, and headed down the road.
Uh Oh. something crawling on my head......
" do not think about it,.....look for a place to pull over,,,,do not think about it"
stopped, pulled my helmet off, spider the size of octapus fell out.................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Happened to me up in Maine
Woke up, had coffee, broke camp, and headed down the road.
Uh Oh. something crawling on my head......
" do not think about it,.....look for a place to pull over,,,,do not think about it"
stopped, pulled my helmet off, spider the size of octapus fell out.................

Seriously, I could read these all night!!!
As long as it does NOT happen to me....

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 30th, 2008, 7:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

...........that's funny when it happens to someone else, eh?...... ........I never had anything in my helmet but once while riding my Yamaha Venture during the summer, I had my legs stretched out on the highway pegs and a grasshopper flew up my pants leg while descending the Caprock on Highway 82 east of Lubbock. I wasn't sure what it was but I KNEW it didn't belong on my thigh!!!!......I quickly pulled over and shucked those Levis! I'm sure I looked funny on the side of the road with my pants down......... .........I'm gonna start checking my helmet from now on......I picked up some cut off jeans once and a scorpion fell out......Whew!

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 31st, 2008, 8:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Not in my helmet, but while riding back home from the fish tank the other day I noticed a lizard / gecko / cameleon (as common as ants in Florida) type of an animal on my windshield, just enjoying the ride. I didn't want it to fall off and get squished in the road so in trying to grab it, he jumped onto my shoulder and rode several miles to the next stop. Made for an interesting ride and at the next grassy area, I was able to flick it off into the weeds.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 18 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 8:39 am

I have an Arai full face helmet. The other day I was out riding and a yellow jacket was sucked into one of the small air inlet holes on top of the helmet. I pulled off the road as fast as I could and got my helmet off. The yellow jacket was still stunned.

2012 BMW R1200RT
2010 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE
post #18 of 18 Old Sep 1st, 2008, 9:18 am

The bee in the full face--SUCKS.

Both times it happened to me I was dirt riding and not in a position to stop anytime soon....Its like they know

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in