BMW Motorcycle Owners of America ?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

BMW Motorcycle Owners of America ??

Excuse my ignorance in advance but what's BMWMOA all about?

I joined, got a book with a bunch of names along with a sticker and a patch!!

Am I missing something here??

Thanks,

Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 7:22 pm
BMW Guru

Re: BMW Motorcycle Owners of America ??

You sent money to an organization and don't know what they're all about??

I joined to get the MOA ON (Owner's News) I enjoying reading it each month. If you travel a lot then that little book can really be a life saver (anonymous book)

From the MOA Web-Site -

About the BMW MOA
The BMW Motorcycle Owners of America was formed in April of 1972 as an all volunteer organization. According to the Articles of Incorporation the BMW MOA was formed for the purpose to operate and maintain a national BMW motorcycle owners club. The goal of the club is to promote the camaraderie and friendship of individual members and BMW motorcycle clubs.

Using this original document as a template the officers and staff of the 'MOA are dedicated to making the experience of owning a BMW Motorcycle more enjoyable by providing a high quality magazine, hosting an annual rally and promoting the bonds that motorcyclists share. The 'MOA also supports direct member to member communication through our forum and the 'MOA Anonymous book. Our mission is to foster communication and a sense of family among BMW motorcycle enthusiasts. Since 1972 the BMW MOA has grown to be the largest brand specific motorcycle club in the world that is not owned and operated by the marque. Our primary member benefits are the BMW Owners News, the BMW MOA Anonymous Book, our International Rally and this website. We also offer member benefits through discounts with selected vendors as well as a towing service for premium memberships and support for the activities of our chartered clubs.

Our International Rally is held annually in July. As the 'MOA has grown attendance at the rally has grown as well, now averaging over 7000 like minded riders. The rally site rotates through out North America; previous rallies have been held in Montana, Colorado, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Connecticut and Trenton, Ontario. The rally is a great place to meet wonderful people as well as visit with vendors who manufacture many specialty items for your BMW. BMW Motorrad is a fixture at our annual rally, often bringing along over two dozen motorcycles which are available for guided test rides. As we have grown our volunteer staff has been augmented with a dedicated team of professionals based in our home office in Ballwin, Missouri. Led by an executive director our support staff is ready to assist you with membership questions, country store purchases as well as supporting the efforts of our volunteers who make the 'MOA so unique.

Thank you for visiting our website. We hope that after taking a look around you will decide to join the BMW MOA. We look forward to seeing you on the road.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
Did I not apologize for my ignorance in advance???

I joined and have not received any newsletter/magazine, hence the question.

Thank you for the info and I guess sorry for asking. I just wanted to know what the advantage and benefit of being a member was.

post #4 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 7:40 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetflyerJ
Did I not apologize for my ignorance in advance???

I joined and have not received any newsletter/magazine, hence the question.

Thank you for the info and I guess sorry for asking. I just wanted to know what the advantage and benefit of being a member was.
Don't be so sensitive, I was quite tame in my reply Post that same question on some other forums if you want real abuse

If you just joined it may take a few weeks to get your first BMW ON.

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 8:08 pm

They also have a web site,

http://www.bmwmoa.org/

They also have national rally, went to one a few years back, fun, but I enjoy the little get together rides on fourms better.

The little book with names. That was my piece of mind going to Alaska and back. I have heard and seen others help others get back on the road after a break down. With the lack of BMW motorcycle dealers, I keep one in my tankbag just in case.

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #6 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Shred
I send money to the IRS every year, and I still don't know what they are all about.

-Scott

2005 LT
ARS NS7C
BMWMOA #113753
All Roads Lead To Roads...
post #7 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 9:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome Jet...

I like the BMW "Owners News" rag.. even a novice can submit fodder for the editors. The "anonymous book" has a wealth of info about fellow riders who have agreed to be there for other riders... even if just for a cup of coffee ... all the way up to accomodations and mechanical help if you are stuck....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #8 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 9:38 pm

Your anonymous book is handy should you have a breakdown somewhere. In the front are the codes or keys. Look up a location and you will find a phone number there with the keys that show what service a fellow BMW owner can provide. A great book to have with you.

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #9 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch guys for the helpful replies. I will look for the monthly subscription and make sure the book stays in my bike all the time.

Thanks again.
post #10 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:03 pm

I have been to and had fun at the last two BMWMOA rallies - 2007 was just outside of Milwaukee in West Bend, WI. Lots of nice rides through the hills and parks in lower Wisc. WI, apart from the BMW conf., as some nice Rustic Roads. In 2008, it was in Gillette, WY. quite a contrast, as WY is long on mountains and short on shade. Next year, its in Gray, TN near Johnson City on July 16-19, 2009. Should be fun taking the LT through the curves in East TN.

You should have some phone numbers for the BMWMOA HQ staff, in the Anonymous book, if nothing else, and ask them what is going on with your ON magazine. It has been a busy summer for them, with the Wyoming international meet in mid July and then the two open rallies they are sponsonring in the easy the first two weekends in October. But normally they are pretty quick to get you what they offer. If you cannot find a number in the paperwork post on their web site. Its not as active as this one, but they will get back to you.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #11 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Johnny,
Hope to meet you at the rally next July in TN (easy ride from your location in FL), I started going to the rally 4 years ago and it is the hightlight of my summer! The ON is my best mag.
The forums on the website help to plan for the rally.
take care,
Mark in MA
post #12 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

They put out a good magazine with lots of good tips and general information. I always look forward to it and find them hard to throw away. Always think I'll need to re-read something later....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #13 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 6:46 am

A really great group of people. In addition to the national rallies there are many regional ones through out the country and some in your state too. There all listed in the Owners news. I do many rallies as a vendor through out the country and BMW rallies are by far the best, really wholesome fun, something you can bring your kids or grand kids to. Check them out!
post #14 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 8:03 am

Thanks for joining BMWMOA!

I have been a member for many years and carry a copy of Owner's Annonymous (OA) on each of my bikes.

I first joined in the 70s when we went x-country on a R90/6. I have never had to use Owner's Annonymous but take a look in there. Before the internet and websites full of helpful folks like this one, OA was a network of BMW enthusiasts who were willing to help a stranger just because they rode a Beemer. I would encourage you to consider what help you might be able to provide a BMW rider who happens to breakdown in your area, and list yourself in OA.

Look at the codes next to each member's name and you can learn things like: how far they'll drive to help you, if they have a trailer, tools, tent or camping space, etc. Some folks will invite you just to stop by for "coffee and conversation" and need no other reason. In the era of long distance touring on an Airhead, this was a wonderful network.

Today, OA is largely eclipsed by cell phones, road service, and the internet, but it is still a really good thing. I have often thought of this site as a modern day, online OA, with all the helpful folks you find here.

My approach to potential final drive failure: I have a bearing, seal, and shim for that bearing in my tool kit, and I have a copy of OA.

Clubs: In Vermont, BMW Motorcycle Owners of Vermont (MOVers) sponsors an annual rally, multiple guided rides during the years, and at least a monthly RTE. Many states have more than one BMWMOA chapter. Need a destination? Look at the list of rallys and head for one in a part of the country that interests you. You'll find friends when you get there.

BMW Owner's News occasionally has a good tech article or two. If you like reading other folks ride reports, there's that. And lots of advertisements for stuff you didn't know you needed.

So, BMWMOA is different things for different folks. For some it is a magazine, for others an help network, others, a club.

I think BMWMOA is a good deal.
post #15 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:38 am

Get to know your Anonymous book. I carried it on a recent 6 week tour. Although I never needed to call any of the members listed, it was a comfort to know I had that option. Since we did not have a specific route or schedule and were taking it one great road at a time, one of the features I did use regularly was the listing of central reservations for hotels and motels (page 194 in the current book). Once we knew where we were likely to want to stop, we simply started calling to find a room for that night.
post #16 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:44 am
Lifetime Supporter

The Airheads always say "if you carry the book, you'll never have to use it."

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #17 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:53 am Thread Starter

wow!!!!

Once again, thank you so very much for all the info guys, "now" I'm glad I joined BMWMOA
post #18 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Depending on your insurance company you can get a price reduction for being a member.
post #19 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Some vendors give discounts also. Just ask.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #20 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrie
I send money to the IRS every year, and I still don't know what they are all about.

-Scott

i believe the irs purpose is raising blood pressure and causing hemorrhoids...
post #21 of 29 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 9:56 pm

I'm a platinum mmeber. I paid extra for the extra services & discounts. You may want to look in to it. For the short term, here's a link to the membership page that lists all the benefits ...

http://www.bmwmoa.org/membership/membership.htm

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #22 of 29 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:17 am

Unhappy Platinum towing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKnowles
I'm a platinum mmeber. I paid extra for the extra services & discounts. You may want to look in to it. For the short term, here's a link to the membership page that lists all the benefits ...

http://www.bmwmoa.org/membership/membership.htm
Be sure to read the fine print. I called when my bike quit in the Florida Keys 90 miles from home. The nice gentleman in India, who couldn't understand that I was on a motorcycle, informed me I was screwed. No tow service would respond, sorry. I paid Motorcycle rescue $475 to drive 90 miles, pick me up and get me home. The Platinum service reimbursed me $100 after filing a claim, which they disputed for a month.

Craig

2000 K1200LTC "Little Turd"
2001 Harley Softail Deuce "Ground Pounder"
BMWMOA #113448
post #23 of 29 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdovie
i believe the irs purpose is raising blood pressure and causing hemorrhoids...
Now that is funny They help keep your wallet free of extra weight so you can save some gas on your bike. No need for a Ramus titanium investment for your bike

BMW K1200GT 2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic (Atlas)
BMWMOA # 130458

HD FLSTN Softail Deluxe 2008 Suede Blue & V. Black(hers)
post #24 of 29 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:27 pm

[QUOTE=scurrie]I send money to the IRS every year, and I still don't know what they are all about.

B I N G O

Greg and Melanie

06 BMW K12LT "WANDRR"
05 DL1000 "WNDRR2"
02 Triumph Trophy 1200 "WNDRR3", in Heidelburg

WANDRR Motorcycle Tours
wandrrmotorcycletours.com
BMWMOA, BMWMOAL, IBA, MTF

ITS ALL ABOUT THE RIDE
post #25 of 29 Old Aug 29th, 2008, 1:27 am

We send that organization a check every 3 months and still do not what there are about.
I still have not RECEIVED any patches or magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurrie

-Scott

Tim In Portland

2000 Lt Icon
"Ike"

post #26 of 29 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:08 am

Jet....

In addition to the many things mentioned here, You also have a nice listing of the Rally's and a classified section that you can take advantage of, weither your looking for something or wanting to sell.

For those who've signed up and havn't received the initial letter, patch, etc. Don't just sit there, email them and let them know. USPS isn't all there cracked up to be and mine has lost much of my mail in the past.

A word on the insurance. I currently have progressive which uses country wide towing service. Recently I got stranded 64 miles from N. Las Vegas, just outside UT. Although they will tow you to the next authorized repair center (for what you bike needs), the people who awnser those calls are also difficult to deal with and it also took some time to get them to understand it was a motorcycle not a vehicle situation.

My point being, as stated here, read the fine print and call to ask questions about insurance / towing plans to the letter. FYI BMWMOA did come up cheaper than Progressive by about $30

I am giving some consideration to switching the insurance plan that BMWMOA offers, but will research before I do, especially after hearing a story here within.

Finally, read the legend/options in the book as to what services you may offer to another rider, and get yourself listed for when the next book gets printed.

Its a great feeling to know your out there to help someone when they need it, and for those who are stranded, its a god send and a major relief to know that help is there.
post #27 of 29 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 3:48 pm

Plus if you stack a years worth of the magazine like a set of encylopedias, you get a neat little picture of a BMW.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #28 of 29 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 4:15 pm

I was so inspired reading this thread, that I went and joined. BMWMOA owes you all a bird-dog.

2000 K1200LT Icon
2000 R1100RT-P
post #29 of 29 Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 4:55 pm

Pefect Manhattan, up with a Twist if you Please

I'm going to go stack my magazines now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in