Service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 2:07 pm Thread Starter

Service

I just took my bike, an '07 1200RT, in for it's 6000 mile service. The only extra thing that I asked to be done was to change the final drive fluid. I feel it's better to have the final drive fluid changed with each service. Anyway, the dealer just called to say that my bike is ready. I asked how much do I owe and was told $402.00. That seems kind of high to me, but I wanted to hear from you guys whether or not this is typical or if I'm being overcharged. I'm the least mechanical person that I know, so doing my own work really isn't an option. And if this is, typically, what I can expect to be charged for service, I can live with it. I just don't want to be taken advantage of. So, what say you ?

Thanks, Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 2:21 pm

Re: Service

I think going to the dealer for service is like going to Costco for one thing... my 12K was north of $1.5K
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 2:35 pm

Wow, $1500 for the 12K! Must have needed a lot of extras, or so they told you. I had my LT done for under $800, including all fluids and filters and wired and installed a set of PIIAs by my independent mechanic. My local dealer would have been over a grand, but $1500 must be a new high water mark.

$400 for the 6000 seems pretty normal from a dealer.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 2:58 pm

$402 for a 6K doesn't seem excessive, especially with a final drive fluid change. Here's a few points for consideration:

-BMW Super Synthetic Oil is like $15 per quart - your machine takes 4 quarts, for $60.

-FD Fluid is almost $20 per quart. The FD only takes about 230ml, but you're still going to be charged for a quart. Incidentally, this is a -really- easy DIY service for the future.

-The BMW OEM oil filter costs about $20.

-Adjusting the valves requires stripping off some of the lower tupperware, which involves removing the left side wing cover, the crash bar, and all of the fasteners on the lower plastic.

Just from the parts tally, you're already looking at north of $100, plus incidental parts (crush washers, etc). Most BMW shops are right around $89 per hour for labor, so your tally of $402 is probably $100-150 parts, 2.5-3 hours labor, and some tax. Spendy, but not ridiculous for what it is.

Of course, for well under $400, you can buy a Clymer's manual, some tools, and all of the consumables for the 6K service. Once you have the proper tools, the future 6k's just require time and consumables. I'd guess you'll routinely get away for $100-120 per 6K if you did your own. Just food for thought, as the longer you own your LT, the more "worthwhile" it might be to discover your hidden mechanical talents

2000 K1200LT Icon
2000 R1100RT-P
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 9:44 pm
King of the Castle

My 12000 mile service on the LT was just 573. So yours sounds reasonable.

Bruce

2012 Kawasaki Concours
2014 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2006 Harley Road Glide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:48 pm

I pay 350 for sixes and more for twelves. Add extras for serive add up fast.
FWIW I don't have a K , just bought a new RT.

No matter where you go , there you are.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in