Going for a ride on Saturday - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Going for a ride on Saturday

Good Morning All,

Planning on riding from Hanford, up and over Tioga Pass, down 395 (including June Lake Loop) to around Pearsonville, West on 9-mile canyon road. Over Sherman Pass to Johnsondale. North on the Western Divide Highway. Down 190 to Springville and then back to Hanford on Saturday morning.

So far:

I've checked weather @ www.weatherunderground.com and everything looks good.

I've checked road conditions on the CA Road Conditions website. Some minor construction but nothing too worrisome.

I've got most of my gear staged for easy packing on Friday night.

Plan to T-CLOC my RT Friday night after topping off with Premium.

Looks like a perfect sunny/warm/hot CA Saturday.

Planning on Lunch in Bishop at Eric Shatt's Bakery.

May wave off on the 9-mile road plan if I'm not feeling the vibe and just head south to Mojave and 58 West past Tehachapi to Bakersfield and 99N back to Visalia and then West on 198 to Hanford as a Plan B.

Thinking a couple of extra layers to go over Tioga as the low is supposed to be around 47 degrees (F). Will probably wear my rain shell over my mesh jacket.

I pod shuffle is full and will get fully charged tonight. Spare digital camera batteries are in the charger as I type.

Have 'bead rider' located and intend to use it on the back half of the ride.

What am I forgetting and do you have any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance for your time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 12:41 am

Garage
Re: Going for a ride on Saturday

Instead of going all the way to 58 why not go over 178 around Lake Isabella and down the Kern River Canyon to 99N ??

A lot nicer than 395 / 14 all the way to 58.

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks Bill,

The CA178 option is like Plan "C". My road choice will depend on how I feel when I get into the Ridgecrest area. Might end up going CA-178 to Isabella and then take CA155 up and over Greenhorn Mountain, through Glennville and then down to CA99N like you mentioned. The only thing I don't care for on CA178 is the section west of Isabella going down generally towards Bakersfield. Very narrow with lots of knuckleheads towing boats & RVs surfing the double yellow lines. The CA58 option is about cutting the length of the ride down a little bit. I'll report back on Sunday. Have a great weekend all.

Cheers!

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:41 am

Bruce,If you do come through Springville and would like to take a short break, we are one block off 190. Turn left at the big brick building across from the Springville Inn. We're at 35231 Tule River dr. Down the street on the left. Come sit in the shade by the river for a bit.

Dan & Joellen

Dan King
2000 K1200LTC
Springville, Ca
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

All,

Actually did this ride last Saturday!

Ended up riding Plan "A" which was 9-mile Cayon Rd (just north of Ridgecrest off of US 395) through Kennedy Meadows, up and over Sherman Pass (WOW!) through Johnsondale, down the Western Divide highway/CA-190 to Springville and then home to Hanford.

(OBTW - Sorry Dan, I didn't see your post until this morning. I would have loved to take a break at your place. As YOU know, riding DOWN CA-190 from Quaking Aspen is an EXPERIENCE, especially after I'd been on the road since 04:30!)

Sorry gang, no photos. Too busy riding.

Couple of thoughts:

1) I REALLY need to invest in a custom seat. The stock version is okay for short rides, but that's about it IMHO.

2) Should have taken more breaks and drank more water. Had a pretty good headache on the ride home from Springville to Hanford. Then again, perhaps LOOKING DIRECTLY INTO THE SETTING SUN may have been part of the problem. Turns out my WileyX Light Adjusting JAKE sunglasses simply weren't up to the task. I do have a "sun blocker" tint strip on my RF-1000 helmet, but it just wasn't enough by itself. Got me thinking about adding a dark tinited visor for the bright CA sunshine.

3) Had too much lunch at Eric Shatt's Bakery in Bishop. If you've ever eaten there you'll understand.

4) I could use a pair of summer ventilated gloves. I have the full-fingered perforated leather version that CHP officers wear, I'm thinking about something like the Alpine Star guantlets I wear, only summerized.

5) I LOVE my SIDI Evo Stada boots. Ventilation worked WELL.

Well, that's it for today. Cheers!

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

post #6 of 7 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Did you buy a loaf of sheepherder's bread at Schatt's? That is THE BEST bread - or maybe it felt that way because we were always on our way to a fishing trip in Mammoth when we bought it!

Great trip - too bad no pictures. i think you need to do it again and take pictures!

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

post #7 of 7 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Jerry,

Alas... no room in the saddlebags for bread. Plus it was another seven hours before I got home. That said, lunch was REALLY delicious. Perhaps bread AND photos next time! Oh look, I've got TWO excuses for a ride! Life is good.

Cheers!

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in