What Alarm? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 11:56 am Thread Starter

What Alarm?

Does anyone know what alarm is used on the K1200LT. I am trying to match it choices on an insurance quote website UK?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 6:38 am

Talking Re: What Alarm?

My 05 has a central locking system that is activated with one push of the striped button on the wireless key fob. there is a latching sound as the doors lock. I believe this also shuts off the fuel pump and de-activates the starter. With a second push of the button the turn signals flash (twice) and I believe this activates a horn blowing light flashing system like a lot of cars have.

A single push of the other smooth button shuts off the alarms and opens the case latches.

I think this is the case but would need to locate the books that came with the bike to be sure.

do a search on alarms and you probably will find out for sure

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 6:51 am

Re: What Alarm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
My 05 has a central locking system that is activated with one push of the striped button on the wireless key fob. there is a latching sound as the doors lock. I believe this also shuts off the fuel pump and de-activates the starter. With a second push of the button the turn signals flash (twice) and I believe this activates a horn blowing light flashing system like a lot of cars have.

A single push of the other smooth button shuts off the alarms and opens the case latches.
To add to that: a THIRD push on the striped button will activate transport mode. This means it will keep the fuel pump and starter disabled etc, but it will disable the motion detector so you can haul it.

The blinking light/beeping is a feature you have to switch (see manual). It either beeps or blinks. I chose to have it beep, since then I can make sure the alarm is activated even when I can't see the bike (from the house for example).

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 8:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan
The fuel-pump and starter are controlled by the immobiliser, which is triggered automatically on my bike around 15 seconds after I've turned the engine off. It activates whether I use the central locking system or not and it flashes the turn-signals once as it does so. One push of the ribbed button locks the cases, two activates the alarm and motion sensor (two flashes of the signals) and a third de-activates the motion sensor so the bike can be transported in a secure state (a beep and three flashes I think).

The immobiliser is released by one press of the smooth button, which will also unlock the bike and turn off the alarm at the same time if they've been set.

It's possible to reprogram some of the actions so that, for example, the immobiliser doesn't set itself but I've not found it sufficiently irritating to bother.

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #5 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:33 am Thread Starter

Sorry question seems to be misunderstood. I was trying to find the make or thatcham grade of the alarm so I know what box to tick on an insurance form.

post #6 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

As far as I know it's an OEM system. I haven't found any on-line insurance system that included it.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #7 of 7 Old Aug 21st, 2008, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

thanks for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in