SportRider Mag article, GT vs FJR vs C14. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Smile SportRider Mag article, GT vs FJR vs C14.

http://www.sportrider.com/features/1...00a/index.html

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 5:57 pm

Re: SportRider Mag article, GT vs FJR vs C14.

Hhmmn... That's a VERY interesting article.
post #3 of 36 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 8:57 pm

I don't own a GT, nor have I ridden one. But, I can honestly say that this article is, probably, the worst written article comparing any motorcycles that I have read. I subscribe to a bunch of bike mags and I have stopped reading the comparison articles. After reading tons of them, I found them to be next to useless. It's like they are writing them to an audience that doesn't ride, or, at least, doesn't ride very much. Did they mention, even once, how stable any of the three were at high speed ? No, because that would be an important topic for people that, actually, ride. There was a passing comment on heat to the riders legs on the Kawasaki, but then they said this wasn't very important. Guess again. For people who ride, heat on the legs is a major issue. I have known more than one FJR owner who got rid of their bike due to heat on the legs. I sold my ST1300 just because of this issue. Although, the five reviews I read from the bike mags, before I bought my Honda, never once mentioned that heat on the legs was an issue. Or that it was as stable as Brittany Spears at speed, for that matter. Here's an idea...why don't we have real riders write these comparisons for these magazines and discuss issues that matter to real riders. Then these guys will have more time to talk about obscure Italian bikes that no one has ever seen, much less ridden. Sorry for the rant....this one just struck a nerve.

Roy

post #4 of 36 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal
Or that it was as stable as Brittany Spears at speed, for that matter.
Roy

Right on Roy!
I totally agree with you. Who really cares about obscure brands with no dealer network that are about as practical as a blowdryer on a Harley. Couldn't agree more.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #5 of 36 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 12:22 pm

KMC1,

Thanks for agreeing. I can't believe this thread didn't generate more responses. I look forward, every month, to receiving my monthly batch of bike mags, and I'm, almost, always disappointed. Isn't there anyone else out there who feel that the current crop of bike magazines are missing the boat ?

Roy
post #6 of 36 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 3:31 pm
rlv

I read the article.
I thought that they were dead on with the GT and the FJR, never rode the C14 yet.
I for one rode the GT and the FJR within an hour of each other on the day that I made my purchase.
I went with the FJR, hands down, it just had more grunt power from the get go, and the handleing was better also.
Ride the FJR first then go ride the GT, you will see.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #7 of 36 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 8:14 pm

I own a GT and just serviced a brand-new FJR1300 the other day for my friend who owns it. I rode them back to back. FJR first and then the GT. A few honest (albeit subjective) observations:

1. The FJR is a great bike that makes a lot of power. Beautiful and fast. I do believe my GT would hang right in there with it or outrun it.

2. No self-cancelling turn signals on the FJR. What???? It seems incredulous that a bike of this caliber doesn't include this feature. I mean, this is simple stuff.

3. No cruise control on the FJR. That, in itself is enough to rule it out for me. I have numbness in my right wrist (from YEARS of riding) and cruise is just about a must.

4. Ground clearance stinks on the FJR. Feedback or no, I can go faster in the twisties on my GT...by a long shot. And, regardless of what the "experts" say, I LOVE MY ESA! Most riders use it all the time. I found myself wanting to adjust the suspension on the FJR, but then that's a "process"...on my GT, it's a push of a button.

5. The ride on the GT is MUCH smoother than the FJR.

6. Even though the saddle height is lower on the FJR, the saddle is WAY too wide, so it feels like I'm still tippie-toeing it.

7. Although the FJR is a great bike, it is still a Yamaha and it is SO much cooler to ride a BMW. It really is. People ask FJR riders all the time, "Is that a BMW?" They have to say "no". They don't ask me that...they see the badges and go, "wow..that's cool."

just my 2 cents.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 36 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
I own a GT and just serviced a brand-new FJR1300 the other day for my friend who owns it. I rode them back to back. FJR first and then the GT. A few honest (albeit subjective) observations:

1. The FJR is a great bike that makes a lot of power. Beautiful and fast. I do believe my GT would hang right in there with it or outrun it.

2. No self-cancelling turn signals on the FJR. What???? It seems incredulous that a bike of this caliber doesn't include this feature. I mean, this is simple stuff.

3. No cruise control on the FJR. That, in itself is enough to rule it out for me. I have numbness in my right wrist (from YEARS of riding) and cruise is just about a must.

4. Ground clearance stinks on the FJR. Feedback or no, I can go faster in the twisties on my GT...by a long shot. And, regardless of what the "experts" say, I LOVE MY ESA! Most riders use it all the time. I found myself wanting to adjust the suspension on the FJR, but then that's a "process"...on my GT, it's a push of a button.

6. Even though the saddle height is lower on the FJR, the saddle is WAY too wide, so it feels like I'm still tippie-toeing it.

7. Although the FJR is a great bike, it is still a Yamaha and it is SO much cooler to ride a BMW. It really is. People ask FJR riders all the time, "Is that a BMW?" They have to say "no". They don't ask me that...they see the badges and go, "wow..that's cool."

just my 2 cents.
I am feeling you brother on #7!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #9 of 36 Old Aug 19th, 2008, 8:46 pm

Quote:

just my 2 cents.
THIS is the kind of feedback that really matters!!! And just about none of this was really talked about - soooo frustrating.
I like the GT, although I'm pretty much done with BMW - at least any of the 4 cylinder models. I'm seriously thinking about a C14, but since I finally have the LT the way I want it, I'll probably just hold onto it until it does something stupid like a clutch or FD. I like the LT so much, I just don't trust it - and for the next bike I want something that will be easier to work on.... wouldn't hurt if it can go in the dirt.... but that's not the most important thing.
Jack, you should write reviews for the mags - it would be so much more valuable feedback than what typically comes in the mail. If you get to ride a C14, let us know what you think.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #10 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 4:38 am
rlv

Pastor,
I agree with you 100% on the lack of cruise control and self cancelling turn signals, the fjr should have them to be a grand sport touring bike.
These items, all but the esa, are easily and cheaply installed on the fjr.

The esa is a nice toy I guess, we will see how much you love it after warranty and when it goes out, if it ever does for you, I think that your like me that you buy and sell bikes a lot. The esa could be an expensive fix, I don't know.
As far as being able to say that your riding a BMW makes you proud and feel good about yourself and that it makes you somebody you wrong . Paster, if you need that to raise yourself above the masses your hurting and definately in the wrong business.
If you want to turn your back on a good superior bike and pay out 8,000.00 more greenbacks, or what ever color they are now days, to be able to have that little badge, or emblem, on your bike to feel like your somebody, hell man go ahead, what ever floats your boat.
I've noticed in life that people that take this attitude are usually (want to be millionairs).

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #11 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 7:12 am

Purdy tough there, Richard.

Any bike can have problems and any expensive bit can go belly up after warranty. You kinda underslung one right into Jack on that about the ESA. It is a wonderful trick and I'm not buying another bike without it. Setting suspension on the fly is a marvelous tool to riding different terrain well.

Jack is proud of his bike, as I'm sure you are, and he spoke so. You could have substituted his glowing phrases with any model.

In my book, even though you wrote nicely, you still threw an insult right into Jack's face. I reckon he didn't deserve it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 7:21 am

Quote:

just my 2 cents.

That's a legitimate reason, I guess. They have sold a ton of Harley's that way...

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #13 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 7:56 am

I was really anticipating the new C14, but when I found out it had no cruise - not even an option, it was off the radar. I looked at what the GT has and compared it to the FJR & C14. The GT won hands down - adjustable bars, ESA, cruise, heated seat/grips. No contest. And when you consider you can pick up a good used GT for about $3K more than the C14 or FJR, it makes the decision easy.

As far as Jack's comment about the pride of owning a BMW, I have to agree. I had an interesting conversation with a nice looking young lady this past weekend. She told me I had a very nice bike and that she liked to ride but didn't have her license yet. I told her she could go take a look at it more closely and she declined. It seems the BMW emblem intimidated her. She was afraid she would walk up to it and it would fall over or something. I told her it's really just about as much as a Harley, and really if you think about it, the upper end Harley's are as much as the BMWs. So, yeah, I'm proud to ride up on my GT. Just as proud as I am when I ride up on my '86 Connie.

You were spot on with your post, Jack!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #14 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:12 am Thread Starter

The reason this article was so interesting to us is that We have had an 05 FJR for 20,000 miles and are shopping for a new bike for her.

Our 05 FJR has electric push button cruise control and heated grips, installed aftermarket. Works great, no problems. Only the engine heat has been the only mitigating concern in HOT weather riding but it was bearable. The engine never complained or ran hot.

So off we went to the BMW shop for some test riding.
My SO who is the primary rider of the FJR and has even done track days on it did not Like the GT engine noise, slab sided look or feel of it compared to the FJR.
She thought the RT, while nice to look at was a big slow cow, as I did. She thought that maybe one spark plug wire was not attached it shook so much... She has ridden twins and even my DL1000 for almost a year. The RT power was "very soft" compared to the VStrom 1000.
I explained after an inline 4 with alot of smooth power nothing really compares to that., Except the Triumph Tiger.. That was the best ride of the day.
Then when we factor in the *almost Non-Existent BMW dealer support
in our area it was an easy choice for another FJR1300 for $8,000 less, unbeatable reliability and alot more dealers both locally and nationwide when we travel.
I have been a lifelong BMW owner off and on & For myself I think I will pick up a used late model RS or possibly a KS.
As I have always owned and liked BMWs but now I am concerned with the latest round of electronic, leaky seals, FD problems that seem to be unending with the newer technology. I started with BMW on a 1973 long frame R/75.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

Last edited by usmctpdog; Aug 20th, 2008 at 11:51 am.
post #15 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv
As far as being able to say that your riding a BMW makes you proud and feel good about yourself and that it makes you somebody you wrong . Paster, if you need that to raise yourself above the masses your hurting and definately in the wrong business.
If you want to turn your back on a good superior bike and pay out 8,000.00 more greenbacks, or what ever color they are now days, to be able to have that little badge, or emblem, on your bike to feel like your somebody, hell man go ahead, what ever floats your boat.
I've noticed in life that people that take this attitude are usually (want to be millionairs).
I guess "me wrong" too, as I am proud of the bike I ride. I never knew riding a BMW was hurting the masses though....? And yes, I am a wanna be millionaire as well, still waiting for those winning lotto numbers to come rolling in! I guess I don't get your animosity here - hopefully you are proud of your bike as well, if not, you should sell it and get one like mine!

Dean and Deb
Golden, CO

post #16 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 1:46 pm

Richard that was kind of rough and not at all asked for. I get what the pastor was saying and I ride an FJR. You should ride what you like and like what you ride. I chose the FJR this time around because I actually liked the feel a little better than the GT but thats me. I miss the cruise and heated grips but I can put those on if I feel I need them. I don't miss the $10K I saved OTD, I got my 08 FJR for under 13K OTD.
As for the handling and ground clearance, I have never scraped the bottom on the FJR. I can scrape the pegs but I have to go way way over to do that. I can honestly say that after 8000 miles I can ride the FJR harder, faster and smoother than any BMW I have owned. I love BMW's but I also love my FJR, Maybe because it was designed for Europe. When checking out the new Connie, I didn't like the feel at all.
Again ride what you like and there's no need to try and tear down what others like to ride.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

Last edited by amarider; Aug 20th, 2008 at 2:40 pm.
post #17 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 3:25 pm

RLV, I got to take issue.

Call me vain, self centered, into ones self but I to/do take pride in what I drive and/or ride. I would hope that you are as passionate about your FJ (other than its price tag) as I am with the three bikes I own. For anyone to pass judgment on a fellow rider because he or she takes pride in the manufacture they choose to own......

As stated above, Harley Davidson has made a monster company on their name plate. Most would agree Harley's aren't sold on engine performance, handling, braking, 0-60 times, must I go on. They have probably the most loyal customer base than any manufacture in motorcycling all because of their name. Pride of ownership has value.

Pastor made several factual reasons why he chose the BMW over its competitors, than said he liked the fact that it was a BMW and it made him feel good. It makes him feel good, that is as good a reason as any. If there comes a day when one of my bikes does not put a smile on my face or makes me feel good when I get on it regardless of its attributes is the day I will sell it. Paster I could not agree with you more, the very reasons I own the bikes I own, they make me feel good.
post #18 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 3:51 pm
rlv

Oh hell guys,
I'll buy the bloat a dinner and a beer the next time I seem him pull in up at the dragon.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #19 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 4:38 pm

I'm not much on emblems but being the long ranger I am and knowing of the long range capabilities of the bmw, thats what i bought.

and you believe that??

We looked at every 2-up bike available (SO is all american but bloodline is mostly german by the way, just to set the stage).

She took 10 SECONDS to say "this one" while sitting on the back seat at the dealer. I think she waited 10 sec's only so I wouldn't say something like, cheez, you didn't even try it, heheh.

In my life, I've owned a 500-4 honda K1 (1971), a non-running honda 750 (sold) and 3 yamaha FZ1's since 2001, I had number 700 off the production line on the first one, 2002 LTC and the 06 KS.

I really like the FJR (never rode it), yamaha's in general, wouldn't buy a kaw or susuki (just my pref's) and honda's are so good their almost boring in many ways.

but man o man, I've NEVER owned anything like the most un-reliable bike I've ever owned, the 2006 K1200S.

So puuulleeeaasssee tell me why I can't seem to find one single bike that I like better. Can't get enough of it. Puts a smile on my face everytime I see it, still love the blue-white paint job (always had solid colors before) and I still walk out to the garage sometimes just to spend a minute or two with it.

Don't much care what others think about the emblem honestly, its just a stoopid machine that I happen to reaaaallly like
post #20 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv

The esa is a nice toy I guess

If I may, I want to address several "assumptions" you made in your post:

#1 - You stated that, "The esa is a nice toy I guess..." That is what a lot of people think..."ESA...nice toy". I felt that way too, but after riding with it, it is fantastic! You can be riding down the interstate, feeling the "ka-blap, ka-blap, ka-blap" of the slabs, push a button and set it to "comfort" and they are gone...instantly. Then you hit the exit ramp or backroad twisties and with another push of the button, hit "sport" mode and it tightens right up. I was riding home from the beach once with a passenger and I noticed the suspension felt compressed and wasn't doing too well. I said, "Oh, I never adjusted the suspension for two people instead of one. At the next stop light, again...press a button...the suspension adjusted for two. I asked my passenger, "Does that feel better?" "Wow...it sure does" she said. (It was my daughter, by the way). The ESA is NOT a toy...it is one of the best design features I have EVER enjoyed on a bike. Absolutely fantastic.

#2 - You stated, "As far as being able to say that your riding a BMW makes you proud and feel good about yourself and that it makes you somebody you wrong . Paster, if you need that to raise yourself above the masses your hurting and definately in the wrong business..."

If I had actually said that, or even felt that way, you would be correct. Truth is, I never said anything of the sort or meant to imply that in any way. What I was trying to say was that I feel that the "cool factor" of riding a BMW is higher (in my opinion) than many other brands. In no way do I get my self worth from a machine! That comes from who I am in Christ alone. Period. Very secure in that. But....it is still cool to ride a BMW!

#3 - "If you want to turn your back on a good superior bike and pay out 8,000.00 more greenbacks, or what ever color they are now days, to be able to have that little badge, or emblem, on your bike to feel like your somebody..."

I simply do not think that the FJR is a "superior" bike when compared to the GT for the very reasons I listed. But hey...it's OK pal. I still love ya! No harm done...none intended.

BTW, Pastor is spelled P-A-S-T-O-R

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #21 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Goods are a modern means of expressing ones identity. Most of us ride BMWs for several reasons. Sure, we think they are quality machines. However, we also ride them because they fit our image of ourselves and the image we want to convey to the world. Few of us want to convey an outlaw or pirate image and if we did, we would select another brand of bike. I believe it is important in my business to convey a certain image. I portray that in my clothes, my cars, my motorcycles and even in the beer I drink and the scotch I order at the bar.

Just as I believe my image is important for my professional success, the image a pastor conveys to his parishioners is equally important. Does riding a BMW provide Pastor Jack with an outreach opportunity to a certain element of his community that he would not otherwise access? Further, does it do so in a way that riding a HD or custom chopper would not?

I would suggest that arguing that for a religious leader to select a BMW is less than morally consistent with his religious faith fails to acknowledge the difference between possessions that are obtained in order to acquire an identity or to "make up" for a lack of identity and possessions that are used as an expression of identity. It further misperceives the distinction between acquiring quality or "branded" goods because they give one honest pleasure and acquiring them to improve upon some consciously or subconsciously perceived inadequacy in ones self image.

Last edited by Moot; Aug 20th, 2008 at 5:23 pm. Reason: fix quote
post #22 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Goods are a modern means of expressing ones identity. Most of us ride BMWs for several reasons. Sure, we think they are quality machines. However, we also ride them because they fit our image of ourselves and the image we want to convey to the world. Few of us want to convey an outlaw or pirate image and if we did, we would select another brand of bike. I believe it is important in my business to convey a certain image. I portray that in my clothes, my cars, my motorcycles and even in the beer I drink and the scotch I order at the bar.

Just as I believe my image is important for my professional success, the image a pastor conveys to his parishioners is equally important. Does riding a BMW provide Pastor Jack with an outreach opportunity to a certain element of his community that he would not otherwise access? Further, does it do so in a way that riding a HD or custom chopper would not?

I would suggest that arguing that for a religious leader to select a BMW is less than morally consistent with his religious faith fails to acknowledge the difference between possessions that are obtained in order to acquire an identity or to "make up" for a lack of identity and possessions that are used as an expression of identity. It further misperceives the distinction between acquiring quality or "branded" goods because they give one honest pleasure and acquiring them to improve upon some consciously or subconsciously perceived inadequacy in ones self image.

Dang...that was good! Sounds like you ate a dictionary!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #23 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 7:39 pm
rlv

ha ha, love it.
Can't wait to meet ya.
Been to church all my life and have always spelled it that way I guess.
Must of thought that preachers spent their time grazing out in a field some where.

Guys I am not saying that the gt is a bad bike, it is probably a very good bike, dependable and all.

I am just saying for me I like the grunt down low on the sporty side which the fjr has and the gt does not. If you got to run up to a 100 mph to finally over take an fjr, what is the use. Sure, even in the report they said that the gt would finally over take the fjr in high speed. Who runs up there anyway?

I hope that you guys love your gt's. being 6 to 8 grand over priced in today's market and still buing it you must love the thing.

I am just saying that I am not loyal to any mfg., brand, or emblem, or woman when it comes to dollars. Bikes are a toy, and if j.c. higgins made what I felt like was the better motorcycle in the year that I wanted a new bike, it would darn well be a j.c. higgins. I own two bmw's, fine bikes, may or may not purchase another one. we will just have to wait and see what comes out.

pastor, please pray for me this coming sunday, for I am a sinner and have gone astray.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #24 of 36 Old Aug 20th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv

pastor, please pray for me this coming sunday, for I am a sinner and have gone astray.
Pray for ya' nothing...I'm gonna wear my special shirt just for you the next time I'm on the Dragon "FJR Huntin'". On the back side it says, "If you were so fast, I'd be reading your shirt!"

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #25 of 36 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 1:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

FWIW, adding electronic cruise to the FJR is a snap. Less than $150 for all the parts and two hours in the garage.

Very few will be happy with the OEM windshields or seats on any of these bikes so I discount those complaints on all three.

The $6k - $8k price difference vs. a GT will buy a heck of nice suspension too (not that the OEM bits are bad at all).

I've always got the 'ol R80 /7 if I need to feel like part of the BMW crowd but I have to be honest, given the ABSOLUTE HORROR my 323CI ownership experience has been coupled with the way BMW bikes have become a bad joke in LD circles lately, I don't particularly need to be associated with the marquee.

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #26 of 36 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 4:57 pm
rlv

Quote:
Pray for ya' nothing...I'm gonna wear my special shirt just for you the next time I'm on the Dragon "FJR Huntin'". On the back side it says, "If you were so fast, I'd be reading your shirt!"
Pastor, your just a good old southern type of a guy.
When I see you or that shirt up there, I am going to introduce myself and were going inside for food and drink and a good chit chat about bikes.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #27 of 36 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 4:59 pm
rlv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
FWIW, adding electronic cruise to the FJR is a snap. Less than $150 for all the parts and two hours in the garage.

Very few will be happy with the OEM windshields or seats on any of these bikes so I discount those complaints on all three.

The $6k - $8k price difference vs. a GT will buy a heck of nice suspension too (not that the OEM bits are bad at all).

I've always got the 'ol R80 /7 if I need to feel like part of the BMW crowd but I have to be honest, given the ABSOLUTE HORROR my 323CI ownership experience has been coupled with the way BMW bikes have become a bad joke in LD circles lately, I don't particularly need to be associated with the marquee.
Man you don't even want to go there.
All of that has already been discussed time and again.
The pastor is unswayable.
I do believe that he had a bmw emblem tatooed on all 4 of his cheeks.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #28 of 36 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 9:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv

LOL. Yeah, I used to be that way about BMW (and HD before that). Then I opened my mind to what really matters: the ride, not the emblem on the tank. What good is pride when you're waiting on a tow by the side of the road?

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #29 of 36 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv

Yup! And when you are behind me on the Dragon, as I pull away, I'll be sure to show you the "rear" two!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #30 of 36 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Yup! And when you are behind me on the Dragon, as I pull away, I'll be sure to show you the "rear" two!!!
Jack, I never figured you for an ass-less chaps kinda guy.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #31 of 36 Old Aug 25th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Jack, I never figured you for an ass-less chaps kinda guy.

Actually, I'm not, but I'll make an exception for you!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

post #32 of 36 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 1:07 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv
If you got to run up to a 100 mph to finally over take an fjr, what is the use. Sure, even in the report they said that the gt would finally over take the fjr in high speed.
And just what do you consider high speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportRider
Performance Numbers
60-80 MPH, 80-100 MPH
BMW: 3.10 sec., 3.28 sec.
Kawasaki: 4.28 sec., 4.74 sec.
Yamaha: 3.73 sec., 4.36 sec.

Top Speed
BMW: 152.3 mph
Kawasaki: 150.2 mph
Yamaha: 146.2 mph

Corrected Quarter-Mile
BMW: 10.69 sec. @ 130.5 mph
Kawasaki: 10.52 sec. @ 130.5 mph
Yamaha: 10.93 sec. @ 124.7 mph
So the GT wins on 60-80 and 80-100 roll-on, it wins at top speed, and it beats the FJR and matches the Connie for speed in the 1/4 mile.

So much for the accuracy of the ass-dyno. Obviously even the "professional" ones are mis-calibrated.

Remember, this article was from SportRider mag. The three testers blatantly admitted none of the bikes were "sporty" enough for them, and the BMW is the least "sporty" (meaning most comfortable) of the bunch. But I can tell you that out on the open roads, it hangs with just about anything out there and is a hell of a lot more comfortable while doing so. I think those guys would have been better off testing a Hayabusa/ZX14, or maybe they should stick with the GSXR/R1 and stay on the track.

Besides, these guys didn't even ask the most important question: which of these bikes can be fitted with highway pegs?

I have the same response to the "slab-sided" fairing as I do the roundel. Basically, I don't care what a bike looks like from the side. I care what it looks and feels like while riding. What some random stranger thinks is so totally out of the picture for me as to be irrelevant. I chose the bike that works for me, and when and if something better for me comes along, then I'll switch.

And as to who really runs that hard, well there are a few of us, but we're usually too busy riding to pay attention to such worthless and blatantly biased reviews.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Aug 26th, 2008 at 1:45 am.
post #33 of 36 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 1:09 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Hhmmn... That's a VERY interesting article.
Joe,

If you really want a C14, then go for it. No need to justify it through some random article, or even by the comments of your peers. If the bike makes you happy and fits your needs, and you can afford it, why should you care what anyone else thinks?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #34 of 36 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 4:20 am
rlv

Quote:
Ha, you know that I carry a BB pistol with me don't ya.
When you feel that sting on them bare cheeks, pull over.

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #35 of 36 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 9:39 am

Thanks for the entertaining read on you guys comment's about the article. I found the comparison to be oh so typical of the usual useless drivel that is mag articles. When I got back into riding recently after a loooong layoff my buddies who never stopped said one thing they all agreed . Don't read mag articles , go ride what appeals to you and buy what feels right. That led me to first the R and then the RT. I never rode the GT and perhaps it is my loss, but the twins spoke to me in a nostalgic but updated modern way so I'm very happy the new RT is maybe a tad less "sport" than touring but for my level of expertise it is a better bike than I am a rider so we will grow together in the coming years. Yep I plan to keep her at least three barring any unfortunate change in plans.

Any way the comments are great and entertaining for me and I will take a GT out one day perhaps to see what it is all about .

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #36 of 36 Old Aug 26th, 2008, 6:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlv
Ha, you know that I carry a BB pistol with me don't ya.
When you feel that sting on them bare cheeks, pull over.

OUCH!!!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in