Has BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Has BMW

ever came out with anything that addresses the failed final drives..plan a big mileage ride and have to have that thought in the back of your mind..that sux and I consider it an extrinsic nuisance.. talked to a dealer about it and he says "oh, those failed drives usually happen to bikes that pull or pulled trailers"...lol.. i said I think its happened to alot that haven't pulled trailers. I asked him if that's what BMW has told him or believes.. he said that most of the failures he's encountered and which are very few, that the bike pulled trailer.. hmm...
Hbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 11:55 am

Re: Has BMW

Oh no.... Not another ubiquitous FD thread!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

..sorry about that Hallzee..

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar
ever came out with anything that addresses the failed final drives..plan a big mileage ride and have to have that thought in the back of your mind..that sux and I consider it an extrinsic nuisance.. talked to a dealer about it and he says "oh, those failed drives usually happen to bikes that pull or pulled trailers"...lol.. i said I think its happened to alot that haven't pulled trailers. I asked him if that's what BMW has told him or believes.. he said that most of the failures he's encountered and which are very few, that the bike pulled trailer.. hmm...
Hbar
In my case, I pulled another motorcycle probably even worse than pulling a trailer. Well, this motorcyle that I pulled was stranded on the highway.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 6:48 pm

I'm gonna have to call a B.S. on your guy.... Go read the MOA forums, the BMW Sport Touring Forum and the ADV Rider forum. In total... the failed final drive seems to effect about 4 percent of those out there. No trend regarding trailers.

Is it real- I think it is. Do I worry...? No. Do I have warranty until 2011? Yes.

Your actual mileage may vary.

2014 R1200RT WC

“As Woody Guthrie says, ‘Left wing, right wing, chicken wing.’I keep my mind open. Whatever you believe, it’s all a mystery in the end.”
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 8:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Well , They all can brake ,...But it seams that it is mostly ether the LT , Or the GS's that are the ones that brake the most . I can see the GS's , run down a wash board road , hard on the gas . May cause the ball separator to get messed up . But The LT ???

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #7 of 7 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
Well , They all can brake ,...But it seams that it is mostly ether the LT , Or the GS's that are the ones that brake the most . I can see the GS's , run down a wash board road , hard on the gas . May cause the ball separator to get messed up . But The LT ???
Well, you got it mostly right, They all can break...We're still seeing LTs fail, but more troubling almost is that the newer generation GSs, RTs and GTs are failing. BMW seems to have lost the ability to be reliable. Let's not even talk about the EWS issue, leaking seals, failing slaves...

The LD Community is abandoning BMW for Honda and Yamaha. MCN has just written a scathing article about BMWs inability to fix the problem.

The truth is MOST will not fail. The question is "How lucky do you feel?"

I pulled a loaded Bushtec trailer for about 20k of my 65k miles...No related issues, but, I ride out west a fair amount and dealers are few and far between. I think about it frequently.

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in