BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Interesting observation..

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  paalao 
#1 ·
I usually don't ride in less than perfect weather.. I just don't have to...
I would never ride today if the LT was my only choice. Not even my CLC
But today is kind of rainy and just a little sprinkle going on.
But still I'm going to get on the RT and run a call or two this afternoon...

I just don't care if it rains on me a little....

Help me.

What does this mean ?

Have I crossed over ?

John

#2 ·
I'm similar.

Where my line is drawn is at that 50% figure. If it has a >50% chance of rain, I take the truck, <50%, I'm riding.

I'll watch during the day and may generate an excuse to leave early (storms-a-coming).

Once I upgrade my rain suit, look out!

#5 ·
joegottberg said:
I'm similar.

Where my line is drawn is at that 50% figure. If it has a >50% chance of rain, I take the truck, <50%, I'm riding.

I'll watch during the day and may generate an excuse to leave early (storms-a-coming).

Once I upgrade my rain suit, look out!
Same here, or I go further where it should be less the 25% chance of rain before I take the LT.
I absolutely hate the new asphalted roads when they are wet!

#7 ·
Kind of reminds me of the folks here on the beach who worry over how high the tide will come in when they place their chairs. What a nightmare, your feet get wet on the beach.

Rain is hard to avoid when you tour and should not be a fear factor. Normal precautions and give thanks for ABS, otherwise enjoy the free air conditioning.

#8 ·
rkimmel2 said:
....Normal precautions and give thanks for ABS, otherwise enjoy the free air conditioning.
Yeah and you just got your monthly shower--whether you needed it or not! :D

#9 ·
Weather is nice but I can’t ride!

Hardly eaten anything the last 5 days, and when I try eat it all comes out within a few minutes.
It have been going on since Friday and I missed some real good riding conditions and now that I hope the damn stomach problems may be over, they say that it will rain for at least a week! :mad:

#11 ·
I agree with Dave--rain really does not bother me much and I rarely let it alter a planned ride. But lightening scares the bejeezus out of me. Guy on a motorcycle was fried on Interstate 25 in Denver last year. Rain -- no problem. Lightening -- Scarey. Snow -- that's where I draw the line, although I did the last 20 miles or so into Flagstaff last year following the tracks that an 18 wheeler in front of me left in the snow.

#12 ·
In the UK you take it as it comes, with no guarantee of fair weather even at the height of what we laughingly call our "summer". Best you can do all year round is hope for the best and dress for the worst. Thank God for Gore-Tex! :D

Seems to me that riding in the rain is a state of mind. Technically, it demands more from you; more sensitive use of the throttle, gears and brakes; more consideration of road surface and of your line through bends. Good tyres are critical to your safety.

The really difficult thing on a wet road is to feel as relaxed and confident as you do in the dry. Being tense, stiff and nervous mostly translates into wishing you were doing something other than riding your bike, which is no fun at all. A wet road is not something to be feared, but it is to be respected.

The only time my wife and I will not take our bike out is when there is a possibility of ice, for which there is no appropriate "state of mind". ;)

#13 ·
At 82F, it's going to be the coolest day of the week for us. NO rain for the next 10 days - at least. Yes, this is the great NorthWet.. :D

IN addition, the average humidity is 35%, no thunderstorms, snow once or twice a year, and only takes 5 minute to clean the few (if any) bug splatters off the bike...

I rode 150 miles on Sunday in short-sleeves & sunscreen, and put the bike away clean - without touching it.

We're so spoiled up here :rolleyes: - indeed the winters are wet, but something needs to keep all these trees green!

Enjoy your ride, where ever you are... (just don't look for me.. :D )

#14 ·
paalao said:
....Hardly eaten anything the last 5 days, and when I try eat it all comes out within a few minutes....
Yeah, Pal, I work with a chick like that. She says it helps her stay thin! :D Hope you feel better.

#15 ·
JJ
Much better now that I drank a liter of something we call Biola.
It is some kind a milk with some bacteria in it that will kill virus or bad bacteria in the stomach. :)

Tell that girl that in the long run it is not a good option. :D

Thanks for caring :bmw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.