Doran 360M Install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 6:18 pm Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Doran 360M Install

I ordered a 360M on Wednesday and it was here Friday.

http://www.doranmfg.com/motorcycle-t...ng-systems.htm

It was just not a priority at the time so I did not jump on the Smart Tires on that Flea-Bay deal. Stupid me

So now with the Avon's on and approaching the 3000 plus on them, I thought I would start looking for a system monitor PSI to rule out low tire pressure as an issue. Not that I was real bad checking, but I wanted to be spot on even more so.

You guys have to know I was so paranoid on the Avon fronts failing so early, I scarfed 2 of the AV-45's from JP Cycles for 39.00 each in anticipation of the Avon 4500-5000 mile self destruction reports.

Ahh but I digress.

So I call Doran and of course my first question was how long does a sensor last? Answer was 5-7 years.

OK, so what does a new sensor cost in five years? Answer 25.00.

OK ship it out. Now it is not cheap at 249.00 and it lacks Temp which I would have liked to had, I think?

It comes with a remote light so you can put it out with, or without the display, well guess which I used

It comes with a bar mount and then has rubber inserts from 7/8" to 1 1/4" that go in depending on bar diameter. Mine was 7/8" with the micrometer or close enough. Only one problem, you have to hack plastic on the handle bar covers which I was fully prepared to do, and you need to shim the clamp as the bar clamp will not slide past the master cylinder with the 7/8" insert in. So I slide it in used pieces of the 7/8" to build out the clamp and it was/is golden. Ran it down the handle bar, used a 3' industrial tie wrap to push it down, the fished it through the Moto Lights wiring with it and tied it in to the Centrec 5 AMP slot under the seat. Those wraps are just super wire snakes.

Got it wired in and screwed the sensors on the valve caps, turned it on and BUSTED, Front 38 PSI, Red center tire symbol in between the two buttons is lighting up on the display and audible tone is working.

I set base line to 45 as with it set to first warn at 12.5% of baseline, I should then get a warning at 40 PSI or so. Rear I set to 53 to get a warning at 46 PSI. If it turns into a pain I will drop 1 PSI on each baseline.

Two things I like is they send very nice new metal stems, both flavors, strait and 90's. And you can use the sensors inside or out of the tire.

And the person I spoke to said to his knowledge Ride On would not harm them!

So here is the set up:

When power comes on you see this.

When you press the left button it cycles front to rear for like 10 or 15 seconds I guess, so you have time to glance at it:

Rear:

Right button is for Back light.

Having fun and emptying the wallet.

Edit: This was after a ride and they had not cooled down yet. Pushing a bit I saw 47 on the front and 56 on the rear as highs. Cold they matched the gage I used to fill them perfectly.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Aug 9th, 2008 at 6:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 11:33 pm
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Re: Doran 360M Install

Lee,

Great write up and super clean / clear pictures
How about some picts of the sensors that fit on the valve stems - assuming you mounted them on the outside?

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 9:46 am Thread Starter
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Doran 360M Install

Sure.

While I am not thrilled with the "looks", I don't think on normal viewing it detracts too much.

Now looking for it it is there

The rears, well go ahead and bend down and look.

Since I mount my own tires I will decide on next tire change. I like the ease of removal and such verses me be a novice tire changer. If my skill set will let me do it. When I remove the next one I will pretend the sensor is inside and see if I can manipulate the tire in that way.

Regardless I will use one set of the new metal stems they sent.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in