Planing A Road Trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Question Planing A Road Trip

I'm thinking about taking a 2 week road trip soon. See Map. As you can see, this will knock out the missing lower states 48 for me. Are there any must see attractions or scenic spots along this route? Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Road Trip 2008 -4x8.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	18959  

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Planing A Road Trip

Looks like you will be near aerostich riders wear store in Duluth MN

Stuff you may not need, you want to buy there.

Also you should hit the "thumb" of Michigans UP. Start in Houghton MI, Go up US hwy 41 up to the tip. or you can go around the east side then up 41 then down the west side excellent ride.
Then stop the German restaurant at the top or end of HWY 41 prices very fair. no worse than a Chillis or like place. Food was excellent.

PM for more details or a map or go to the BMW RA web site for the 2008 rally info is still posted

The infamous "Gay Bar" is up there also in Gay MI. Bartender said with the RA rally he never served so many root beers to bikers.

Mike G
Northen Illinois Packer Fan
K1200lt 2002
LT Trunk Latch Maker
post #3 of 69 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 10:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider79
Looks like you will be near aerostich riders wear store in Duluth MN

Stuff you may not need, you want to buy there.

Also you should hit the "thumb" of Michigans UP. Start in Houghton MI, Go up US hwy 41 up to the tip. or you can go around the east side then up 41 then down the west side excellent ride.
Then stop the German restaurant at the top or end of HWY 41 prices very fair. no worse than a Chillis or like place. Food was excellent.

PM for more details or a map or go to the BMW RA web site for the 2008 rally info is still posted

The infamous "Gay Bar" is up there also in Gay MI. Bartender said with the RA rally he never served so many root beers to bikers.
Thanks Mike. I was planing on stopping at the Aerostich Store. I'll give the German Restaurant a try. Not sure about the Gay Bar though.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #4 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 2:10 am

I planning a similar trip and am departing from Atlanta. I am going to hit 20 National Parks as my trip. Consider the parks, they offer some of the best the country has to offer!

2005 K1200 LT Blue

2002 K1200 LT Black
BMWMOA Number: 137587
Shawn Rolison
Atlanta, Georgia
post #5 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
I'm thinking about taking a 2 week road trip soon. See Map. As you can see, this will knock out the missing lower states 48 for me. Are there any must see attractions or scenic spots along this route? Any recommendations will be appreciated.
I recently did a similar trip from Chicago westward. You might want to consider modifying your trip by going south through Colorado from Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park near Estes Park, CO to Durango for great scenery and mountan traverses. Then west through the southern section of Utah where it is awesome to pick up Bryce Canyon and Zion Nat'l Park. I highly recommend Zion. Bryce is nice. After Zion you can enter Nevada from Utah near Uvada and head north to pick up US50 to S. Lake Tahoe.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #6 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 8:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a good plan Dick...............
See ya' out there.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #7 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsonderb
I recently did a similar trip from Chicago westward. You might want to consider modifying your trip by going south through Colorado from Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park near Estes Park, CO to Durango for great scenery and mountan traverses. Then west through the southern section of Utah where it is awesome to pick up Bryce Canyon and Zion Nat'l Park. I highly recommend Zion. Bryce is nice. After Zion you can enter Nevada from Utah near Uvada and head north to pick up US50 to S. Lake Tahoe.
Thanks Jim. I did all of that 2 years ago and you are right, it's absolutely beautiful. I've been to CO 4-5 times already. Some of the best riding in the US. I have not done the northwest or upper miidwest northern states and want to see them. I'm planing on Glacier National Park. My time is limited to 2 weeks, so cannot do everything. I been to Yellowstone several times (once on snowmobiles), but never on my bike. Same for Yosemite. I'm just going to have to pick the greatest of sites to see, as it will be 7600 miles in 14 days.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #8 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Looks like a good plan Dick...............
See ya' out there.
Allan, what are the absolutely must see things in Oregon?

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #9 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 9:29 am Thread Starter

For those wondering why I'm not making it to the CCR. Initially, I could not get enough time off from work and my 2 y/o granddaughter is coming to stay with me over the Labor Day weekend, so can't miss that for anything. Then I lost my job , so have lots of free time until September 15th , when I start a new job.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #10 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 10:12 am

don't forget soumys bakery in Houghton, MI if you do the UP. Great pasties and other lunch stuff there!

my other favorite food stop is in Lanse, the hilltop inn. Be ready to be stuffed! their cin buns are also famous.
post #11 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 12:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Planing A Road Trip

Well , If time permits you in Michigan . You might want to go up M119 from Petoskey to Cross Village . Then either from Mackinaw City , or St.Ignace take a ferry ride over to Mackinaw island . They do not have any car there , so you will be on foot . But you can rent a bicycle , or get a horse drawn carriage ride , or even rent a horse & buggy that you drive your self . There are a lot of tourist on the island , but most of them are in town . There is the Grand Hotel ( My Wife I & had our Honey Moon there 20 years ago...Big $$$) a Fort to see , and Fudge shop on top of fudge shop . The road around the island is 6 miles , & once you are out of town you are almost alone . I like to rent the horse & buggy , it is a little like stepping back in time . I think the livery that rents the horse & buggy is named Jack's livery ???

Also in the UP , take US 41 & / or a little of M26 up to Copper Harbor . Then on your way to Wisconsin go to the Porcupine Mt. Wilderness State park ,& the Lake of the Clouds . I saw two of the biggest black bear I have seen in my life on the way out to the Lake of the Clouds . You can see the Iron Mt. Sky Jump 20 miles away near Bessemer from Lake of the Clouds.

You can take the Boundary Rd. around Porcupine Mt. Wilderness State park to get to Bessemer , then You can go up to the Sky jump . Then If you go there when they are open , I think it is on weekends , but ??? . You can go up it . You take a Sky lift up to the tower , then an elevator up around 300' , then the last 100' or so you go up stairs. You can see a long , long way from up there ... Once you get use to the tower moving around in the wind .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #12 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 12:45 pm
jsr

Looks like your planning mainly interstate, you may want to consider highway 200 from NW of Duluth across most of N.D. as an alternate. I have found the 2 lane roads to be much less traveled and generally have better scenery.

Many times when we run from Fargo to the north unit of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park (just south of Watford City, ND), we will go up to 200 and take across to 1806 (just west of Garrison Dam) and then back to 200 at Halliday, ND and North on 85. Posted speed limit is 65 so not that much different than the interstate.

All of the states you show west of the Mississippi, except California, have had excellent state highway maps that may help you enjoy some of the less traveled roads which I have found more relaxing.

Hope you have a great trip, our 2 week vacation this year was only a little over 7,000 miles.

Jeff
Fargo, ND
2005 K1200LT 341,000+
post #13 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 1:02 pm

Quote:
Thanks Jim. I did all of that 2 years ago and you are right, it's absolutely beautiful. I've been to CO 4-5 times already. Some of the best riding in the US. I have not done the northwest or upper miidwest northern states and want to see them. I'm planing on Glacier National Park. My time is limited to 2 weeks, so cannot do everything. I been to Yellowstone several times (once on snowmobiles), but never on my bike. Same for Yosemite. I'm just going to have to pick the greatest of sites to see, as it will be 7600 miles in 14 days.
Based on your schedule, it looks like you will have some long days in the saddle. You might already know this but it seemed like most restaurants in the West stop serving at 9:00pm. I got tired of eating peanuts and breakfast bars for dinner. Looks like the makings of a great trip! Ride safe.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #14 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 1:23 pm

Dick, your route appears to be taking you up I-75 to the Detroit area. Current construction will prohibit that. Just south of Toledo, OH pick up Rt 23 to Ann Arbor (also labelled as I-475 till it turns into 23). It is a good interstate road if that is your objective and will get you north of the Detroit congestion and construction. You can rejoin I-75 just south of Flint, MI and continue on your way.

Pat Lynch
'07 K1200LT
'03 K1200LTE (Gone)
La Salle, MI
15 mi N. of Toledo

post #15 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 1:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Allan, what are the absolutely must see things in Oregon?
Crater Lake would be near the top of anyone's list for an Oregon trip, but it would cost you an extra day or two to get there and back, based on your route as shown.
post #16 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 4:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

With your plan & schedule, I'd just enjoy the coast in oregon.
If you wanted to see the "real Oregon" the Smith River Road, just North of the bridge at Reedsport will take you on a paved one lane road along the Smith River and into the Wilamette valley. (and eventually to my back deck for a Corona and smoked brisket) Seen bear and cougar on that road.....
but it is an all day ride and you're gonna see plenty on your route.
At Cape Perpetua just south of Yachats, take the road up past the campgroung to the overlook. It's only about a mile and a few steps from the parking lot you'll see what looks like 100 miles of coast. (but not if the wind's blowing..seen it at 80 mph up there)
Do not stop at sea lion caves, if you want to see sea lions, pull into strawberry hill overlook North of Florence and the rocks are covered with 'em...
If you stop to eat on the coast try the Dungeness crab, you wont forget it.

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #17 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Hye Doc, sorry to hear about the job.

While you are in the UP, and if you like ship stuff, go to Whitefish Point, Mi and go to the Shipwreck Museum. We did that fours ago, they have the bell from the Edmond Fitzerald in the museum, plus many other artifacts from downed ships from Lake Superior.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #18 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:04 pm

Quote:
Then I lost my job , so have lots of free time until September 15th , when I start a new job.
Take some dance lessons!!!!

I am sooooo with you on the grandaughter thang!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Take some dance lessons!!!!

I am sooooo with you on the grandaughter thang!!
I'm thinkin' your right about those dance lessons. If I remember correctactacally, you can use a few yurself.

I'm really sad I'm not able to make the CCR, but haven't seen Lexi since Easter. Can't wait to hug the little critter. I'm plannin' on making it to the CCR next year, job or no job.

Behave yurself, Grif.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #20 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Hye Doc, sorry to hear about the job.

While you are in the UP, and if you like ship stuff, go to Whitefish Point, Mi and go to the Shipwreck Museum. We did that fours ago, they have the bell from the Edmond Fitzerald in the museum, plus many other artifacts from downed ships from Lake Superior.
Thanks, that's sounds interesting. I'll see if I can fit it in. Gotta see where Whitefish is located. I'll look her up tonight.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #21 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlyirish
Dick, your route appears to be taking you up I-75 to the Detroit area. Current construction will prohibit that. Just south of Toledo, OH pick up Rt 23 to Ann Arbor (also labelled as I-475 till it turns into 23). It is a good interstate road if that is your objective and will get you north of the Detroit congestion and construction. You can rejoin I-75 just south of Flint, MI and continue on your way.
Thanks for the heads up. Pat, I'll take a look at that. The map is not an exact route, just a rough draft to get me around to where I want to go. It can be changed at any time and on the fly.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #22 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr
Looks like your planning mainly interstate, you may want to consider highway 200 from NW of Duluth across most of N.D. as an alternate. I have found the 2 lane roads to be much less traveled and generally have better scenery.

Many times when we run from Fargo to the north unit of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park (just south of Watford City, ND), we will go up to 200 and take across to 1806 (just west of Garrison Dam) and then back to 200 at Halliday, ND and North on 85. Posted speed limit is 65 so not that much different than the interstate.

All of the states you show west of the Mississippi, except California, have had excellent state highway maps that may help you enjoy some of the less traveled roads which I have found more relaxing.

Hope you have a great trip, our 2 week vacation this year was only a little over 7,000 miles.
Thanks Jeff. The Interstate route is just a rough draft to get me around to where I think I want to go. It allows for rapid transit covering large areas when needed. I can get off and on or go anywhere along the way if there is something worth seeing. I may take your advice, assuming Minneapolis is not worth going through. Thought I might want to see the "Mall of America".

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #23 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Crater Lake would be near the top of anyone's list for an Oregon trip, but it would cost you an extra day or two to get there and back, based on your route as shown.
Thanks. I wanted to see the coast of Oregon, but may be able to alter my route so I can work Crater Lake in.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #24 of 69 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
Well , If time permits you in Michigan . You might want to go up M119 from Petoskey to Cross Village . Then either from Mackinaw City , or St.Ignace take a ferry ride over to Mackinaw island . They do not have any car there , so you will be on foot . But you can rent a bicycle , or get a horse drawn carriage ride , or even rent a horse & buggy that you drive your self . There are a lot of tourist on the island , but most of them are in town . There is the Grand Hotel ( My Wife I & had our Honey Moon there 20 years ago...Big $$$) a Fort to see , and Fudge shop on top of fudge shop . The road around the island is 6 miles , & once you are out of town you are almost alone . I like to rent the horse & buggy , it is a little like stepping back in time . I think the livery that rents the horse & buggy is named Jack's livery ???

Also in the UP , take US 41 & / or a little of M26 up to Copper Harbor . Then on your way to Wisconsin go to the Porcupine Mt. Wilderness State park ,& the Lake of the Clouds . I saw two of the biggest black bear I have seen in my life on the way out to the Lake of the Clouds . You can see the Iron Mt. Sky Jump 20 miles away near Bessemer from Lake of the Clouds.

You can take the Boundary Rd. around Porcupine Mt. Wilderness State park to get to Bessemer , then You can go up to the Sky jump . Then If you go there when they are open , I think it is on weekends , but ??? . You can go up it . You take a Sky lift up to the tower , then an elevator up around 300' , then the last 100' or so you go up stairs. You can see a long , long way from up there ... Once you get use to the tower moving around in the wind .
Thanks Patrick. I was wanting to go over to Mackinaw Island but was sure what to do with my bike and gear while going over there. Are there guarded public parking lots? Or do I just leave it parked somewhere for the day and hope no one messes with my duffle bag, etc.? I can lock some stuff up in the bags and top case, but not everything.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #25 of 69 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 10:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Gas

Dick
two thoughts on gas.
1. In Oregon, back when jobs were scarce, and often two people shared one job, the state made it illegal to pump your own gas (to save jobs)
There is an exception for motorcycles but you have to follow the rituals.
Hand the attendant your card and say what grade you want, he/she will start the pump and hand you the nozzel and you can fill. Sometimes they'll wait for you to hand the nozzel back when through, sometimes not.
2. In Wyoming, Idaho, Utah area you'll come across a family owned chain of gas stations called Mavrick. Cheap price, high octane and no ethanol. Your MPG will jump.

IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #26 of 69 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 5:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Planing A Road Trip

<> I was wanting to go over to Mackinaw Island but was sure what to do with my bike and gear while going over there. Are there guarded public parking lots? Or do I just leave it parked somewhere for the day and hope no one messes with my duffel bag, etc.? I can lock some stuff up in the bags and top case, but not everything.

Hi , The parking lots for the different ferry company's are mostly near there terminal docks . There not really what I would call guarded , but there is always some one walking around . going to & from there car . Also everybody in the parking lot is a tourist , they just want to get out to the island ,or out of the parking lot . They aren't looking to nab peoples stuff . We never had any problems up there , but we always stuff our gear in the nose of the sidecar , out of sight .

I think your bike ,and your duffel bag , if is secured on your bike with some tie down straps , would probably be OK . Your helmet and jacket laying on the seat would probably be OK too ,... but you never know so.. . I called Arnold Transit Inc. http://www.arnoldline.com/ 1-800-542-8528 , they are one of the three Ferry company's. to the island . I ask what to do with your gear . They said you could put your gear in there office . I talked to there office in both St. Ignace & Mackinaw City , and they both said the same thing .

I like to go out to the island from St. Ignace . Mackinaw City has a lot more tourist stuff going on , and St. Ignace is more laid back . Also I like Arnold line , there Catamaran's have a smooth ride , there parking isn't too far from the dock there at St. Ignace . St. Ignace by the way , was founded in 1671 , and has quite a history it's self .

Here are a few links to check out

http://www.saintignace.org/
http://www.mackinacisland.org/index.html
http://www.arnoldline.com/
http://www.jacksliverystable.com/

Patric

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
AMA Charter Lifemember

post #27 of 69 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Re: Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
Dick
two thoughts on gas.
1. In Oregon, back when jobs were scarce, and often two people shared one job, the state made it illegal to pump your own gas (to save jobs)
There is an exception for motorcycles but you have to follow the rituals.
Hand the attendant your card and say what grade you want, he/she will start the pump and hand you the nozzel and you can fill. Sometimes they'll wait for you to hand the nozzel back when through, sometimes not.
2. In Wyoming, Idaho, Utah area you'll come across a family owned chain of gas stations called Mavrick. Cheap price, high octane and no ethanol. Your MPG will jump.
Thanks for the Heads Up.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #28 of 69 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
<> I was wanting to go over to Mackinaw Island but was sure what to do with my bike and gear while going over there. Are there guarded public parking lots? Or do I just leave it parked somewhere for the day and hope no one messes with my duffel bag, etc.? I can lock some stuff up in the bags and top case, but not everything.

Hi , The parking lots for the different ferry company's are mostly near there terminal docks . There not really what I would call guarded , but there is always some one walking around . going to & from there car . Also everybody in the parking lot is a tourist , they just want to get out to the island ,or out of the parking lot . They aren't looking to nab peoples stuff . We never had any problems up there , but we always stuff our gear in the nose of the sidecar , out of sight .

I think your bike ,and your duffel bag , if is secured on your bike with some tie down straps , would probably be OK . Your helmet and jacket laying on the seat would probably be OK too ,... but you never know so.. . I called Arnold Transit Inc. http://www.arnoldline.com/ 1-800-542-8528 , they are one of the three Ferry company's. to the island . I ask what to do with your gear . They said you could put your gear in there office . I talked to there office in both St. Ignace & Mackinaw City , and they both said the same thing .

I like to go out to the island from St. Ignace . Mackinaw City has a lot more tourist stuff going on , and St. Ignace is more laid back . Also I like Arnold line , there Catamaran's have a smooth ride , there parking isn't too far from the dock there at St. Ignace . St. Ignace by the way , was founded in 1671 , and has quite a history it's self .

Here are a few links to check out

http://www.saintignace.org/
http://www.mackinacisland.org/index.html
http://www.arnoldline.com/
http://www.jacksliverystable.com/

Patric
Thanks Patric. That was a big help. I really appreciate your willingness to help. How hard will it be to get a room at St. Ingnace. I noticed that they have 7-8 motels. Can I just check in or will I need reservations for around 08/15/08. Not exactly sure when I'm leaving.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #29 of 69 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 4:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Dick , I don't know anything about the motels up there . We always camp in our motorhome , either at St. Ignace KOA , or Lakeshore Park Campground http://www.lakeshoreparkcampground.com/ while we are there . If there is something going on when you are there , there will be a lot of people up . Like on Labor Day , you can walk across Mackinaw bridge ,http://www.saintignace.org/index.php...e=view&extid=7, usually the Governor leads the walk . It draws quite a large crowd .

I looked at there schedule http://www.saintignace.org/index.php...pro&Itemid=123 , and it doesn't look like there is much going on the 15th. ...But ... like I said , I can't tell you anything about motels .

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
AMA Charter Lifemember

post #30 of 69 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 9:48 pm

When in California, hope your going through Yosemite via Hwy 120, Lee Vinning to Grovland, you have to eat at the Mobile Gas Station, (Yes I said Gas Station, located at the corner of Hwy 395 and Hwy 120) Also spend the two extra hours and go down into the valley floor so you can see El Capiton and all of the water. If you stay in Lee Vinning, I like to stay at Murphys, Ask for Room 3, it's bike friendly as well.

If you stay in or near Tahoe, stay in Tahoe City, I suggest the Pepper Tree Inn, it's bike friendly and located next to everything you need or want. I always stay there.

I'm sure I don't need to reminder you to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge. Hwy 1 down to Big Sur is the most beautiful coast line you'll ever see.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Last edited by Vffr1; Aug 10th, 2008 at 9:57 pm.
post #31 of 69 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Dick , I don't know anything about the motels up there . We always camp in our motorhome , either at St. Ignace KOA , or Lakeshore Park Campground http://www.lakeshoreparkcampground.com/ while we are there . If there is something going on when you are there , there will be a lot of people up . Like on Labor Day , you can walk across Mackinaw bridge ,http://www.saintignace.org/index.php...e=view&extid=7, usually the Governor leads the walk . It draws quite a large crowd .

I looked at there schedule http://www.saintignace.org/index.php...pro&Itemid=123 , and it doesn't look like there is much going on the 15th. ...But ... like I said , I can't tell you anything about motels .
Thanks Patric.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #32 of 69 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vffr1
When in California, hope your going through Yosemite via Hwy 120, Lee Vinning to Grovland, you have to eat at the Mobile Gas Station, (Yes I said Gas Station, located at the corner of Hwy 395 and Hwy 120) Also spend the two extra hours and go down into the valley floor so you can see El Capiton and all of the water. If you stay in Lee Vinning, I like to stay at Murphys, Ask for Room 3, it's bike friendly as well.

If you stay in or near Tahoe, stay in Tahoe City, I suggest the Pepper Tree Inn, it's bike friendly and located next to everything you need or want. I always stay there.

I'm sure I don't need to reminder you to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge. Hwy 1 down to Big Sur is the most beautiful coast line you'll ever see.

Hope this helps,

Michael
Thanks Michael. I lived in San Francisco for one year in 1973. My youngest daughter lives there currently.

I don't think I'll make it to Yosemite this trip but hope to go through Lake Tahoe. Right now I'm wondering if I can make Washington, Oregon and California due to the time I have for the trip. I can do it, but will not be able to stop much along the way. If I make the trip as planned it will require an average 510 miles per day over 14 days, which I can do, but I'm not sure my riding partner can. In order to have time at Parks, etc., We'll have to do several 800-900 mile days. In the past I have found it hard to get a Motel Room in the Western states after about 7PM, which is another concern for 800-1000 mile days. So I may have to drop the extreme western part of this trip and come back from Glacier National Park through Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Salt Lake, and Denver. If I have to do that, I plan to come back next year through the southern route to San Diego then up the Coast to Seattle. If I do make the trip as planned I make sure I eat at the Pepper Tree Inn.

Thanks again,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #33 of 69 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:31 pm

I don't want to confuse you the Pepper Tree Inn is a motel, not a restaurant, you would not want to eat there except to get the free breakfast, which is a great price and one of the better free meals out there.

Thanks for the reply,

Michael
post #34 of 69 Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vffr1
I don't want to confuse you the Pepper Tree Inn is a motel, not a restaurant, you would not want to eat there except to get the free breakfast, which is a great price and one of the better free meals out there.

Thanks for the reply,

Michael
Oh, thanks again Michael. I'll try to stay there if we go through.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #35 of 69 Old Aug 11th, 2008, 5:56 am

Doc, we stayed at the new(er) Days Inn in St Ignace. The other Days Inn (which is on the Lake) is across the street from the new(er) Days Inn. They have a cont breakfast and they took us down to the Pier for the ride over to the Island so we did not take our bikes, the pier looked like it was safe and there was plenty of foot traffice to disuade any jokers!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #36 of 69 Old Aug 11th, 2008, 9:16 am

Looks like a great trip.
Being from Rochester, MN, unless there is something/someone special to see in the St.Paul/Minneapolis area, I would just cut across state from Duluth to Fargo. (ie: Hwy 2, 200, 34) Alot of lakes, decent roads, Non-Interstate riding.
I am planning 2 weeks in September - Minnesota to Niagra Falls, to Boston area to Annapolis, MD and back home. Not quite as far as your two weeks, but should be nice. Still trying to convince the wife that the LT will be better than the car.

Have fun, ride safe!

Jim G - Rochester, MN
BMW MOA #123976
2000 K1200LTC
post #37 of 69 Old Aug 11th, 2008, 6:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Couldn't really tell, but you are going to ride the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier aren't you?

Make sure to check the road status early/late in the season http://home.nps.gov/applications/gla...roadstatus.cfm

As for a place to eat - the Babb Press in Babb had GREAT sandwiches (could have been because we had been in the backcounty for a week living on freeze dried!)

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons
01 E320 4matic

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #38 of 69 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskjb
Looks like a great trip.
Being from Rochester, MN, unless there is something/someone special to see in the St.Paul/Minneapolis area, I would just cut across state from Duluth to Fargo. (ie: Hwy 2, 200, 34) Alot of lakes, decent roads, Non-Interstate riding.
I am planning 2 weeks in September - Minnesota to Niagra Falls, to Boston area to Annapolis, MD and back home. Not quite as far as your two weeks, but should be nice. Still trying to convince the wife that the LT will be better than the car.

Have fun, ride safe!
Thanks Jim. I have revised my trip, see map.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #39 of 69 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabrew
Couldn't really tell, but you are going to ride the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier aren't you?

Make sure to check the road status early/late in the season http://home.nps.gov/applications/gla...roadstatus.cfm

As for a place to eat - the Babb Press in Babb had GREAT sandwiches (could have been because we had been in the backcounty for a week living on freeze dried!)
Thanks for the link, Kim. I will ride the Going to Sun Road in Glacier. Is there any reason to go to East Glacier?

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #40 of 69 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Doc, we stayed at the new(er) Days Inn in St Ignace. The other Days Inn (which is on the Lake) is across the street from the new(er) Days Inn. They have a cont breakfast and they took us down to the Pier for the ride over to the Island so we did not take our bikes, the pier looked like it was safe and there was plenty of foot traffice to disuade any jokers!
Thanks for the info, Brett. I think because of time limitations I'm going to have to skip going to Machinaw Island, so don't know where I'll spend the night. I'm riding from Columbus, GA to Flint, MI the first day. Not sure where I'll end up on the second night, but if it's around St. Igance, I'll give the Days Inn a try.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #41 of 69 Old Aug 14th, 2008, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Re: Planing A Road Trip - Final Map Plans

Well, turns out I'll be riding this trip solo. Both of my normal riding partners were unable to make this trip. So, if you see a Toscana Green 2002 LT on the side of the road anywhere on this route and there is an old guy standing by it trying to figure out the handgun laws for what ever state he is in, it's me. Stop and say hi or help me drag my bike the 500 -1500 miles to the nearest BMW dealer.

Seriously, anyone along this route who would like to have coffee, dinner, etc, let me know at [email protected].

Oh, I may have time to run by the CCR on the way home for a few hours and say hi to whoever I can find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Road Trip 2008 -4x6.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	19024  

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #42 of 69 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 9:44 pm

The leg from Fargo to Great Falls is going to be one very long, boring, and unscenic ride. If you haven't been to the Black Hills area of SD, I would recommend heading southwest out of Minneapolis to Mankato and then on to Worthington, MN to pick up I-90 into Sioux Falls, then on to Rapid City via I-90. I-90 through SD is considerably more scenic than I-94 through ND (which still isn't saying much until you get to Rapid City). From Rapid City you can proceed either on I-90 to Gillette and Sheridan, WY and then on to Billings, MT or you can head out of Rapid City to Belle Fourche, SD and catch hiway 212 to Crow Agency, MT (site of the Custer Battlefield); you will intercept I-90 at this point and have approximately 57 miles to Billings, MT. Heading west out of Billings, you will have several opportunities to veer northwest to Helena, MT.

You asked if there was any reason to travel to East Glacier, MT. The short answer is yes. Going northwest from Great Falls will take you to Browning, MT. You can enter Glacier National Park (from the east entrance) shortly after leaving Browning. Once you are in the park, you will travel (approximately) 50 miles from the town of East Glacier to the town of West Glacier (at the west entrance to the park). You will have travelled over the "Going-to-the-Sun" road which, in my opinion, is one of the top 2 or 3 most scenic roads in the country; this is a leg not to be missed. Kalispell, MT is 32 miles from the west entrance of the park

Spend a little time in Helena, MT. It is a very historic and scenic town in addition to being the state capitol. Great Falls, MT has the Charles M. Russell museum. He was a tremendously talented western artist and his works are well worth seeing. Browning, MT has the Blackfeet Indian Museum, also worth seeing.

Have fun, looks like a great vacation.
post #43 of 69 Old Aug 15th, 2008, 10:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDude
The leg from Fargo to Great Falls is going to be one very long, boring, and unscenic ride. If you haven't been to the Black Hills area of SD, I would recommend heading southwest out of Minneapolis to Mankato and then on to Worthington, MN to pick up I-90 into Sioux Falls, then on to Rapid City via I-90. I-90 through SD is considerably more scenic than I-94 through ND (which still isn't saying much until you get to Rapid City). From Rapid City you can proceed either on I-90 to Gillette and Sheridan, WY and then on to Billings, MT or you can head out of Rapid City to Belle Fourche, SD and catch hiway 212 to Crow Agency, MT (site of the Custer Battlefield); you will intercept I-90 at this point and have approximately 57 miles to Billings, MT. Heading west out of Billings, you will have several opportunities to veer northwest to Helena, MT.

You asked if there was any reason to travel to East Glacier, MT. The short answer is yes. Going northwest from Great Falls will take you to Browning, MT. You can enter Glacier National Park (from the east entrance) shortly after leaving Browning. Once you are in the park, you will travel (approximately) 50 miles from the town of East Glacier to the town of West Glacier (at the west entrance to the park). You will have travelled over the "Going-to-the-Sun" road which, in my opinion, is one of the top 2 or 3 most scenic roads in the country; this is a leg not to be missed. Kalispell, MT is 32 miles from the west entrance of the park

Spend a little time in Helena, MT. It is a very historic and scenic town in addition to being the state capitol. Great Falls, MT has the Charles M. Russell museum. He was a tremendously talented western artist and his works are well worth seeing. Browning, MT has the Blackfeet Indian Museum, also worth seeing.

Have fun, looks like a great vacation.
Thanks for the reply. I went to Sturgis in 2001 and road the entire route you listed above, plus everything within 150 miles of Rapid City. I'm riding the Fargo - Great Falls route because I can move rapidly across the plains states and I want to see if it's any different the the other 4-5 ways I have crossed them. They are all long and boring, so far.

I don't think I'm going to have time to back tract to Helena though I'll keep it in mind for future trips. I thought the east entrance to the Going to The Sun Road started at St. Mary and ended in West Glacier. I'll have to check that out when I get there. East Glacier looks to be 25 miles south of St. Mary.

I will definitely check out Browning. Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I leave early in the morning.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #44 of 69 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Quote:
I thought the east entrance to the Going to The Sun Road started at St. Mary and ended in West Glacier. I'll have to check that out when I get there. East Glacier looks to be 25 miles south of St. Mary.

I will definitely check out Browning. Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I leave early in the morning.
You are absolutely right that the east entrance to Glacier Natn'l Park is at St. Mary's. Sorry about the misinformation. The roadway between the town of East Glacier and West Glacier parallels the Park's southern border but does not include the Going-to-the -Sun road. When you exit the park at West Glacier, the Belton Lodge is a nice place for lunch/dinner.

Have a great trip and post some photos when you return.
post #45 of 69 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDude
You are absolutely right that the east entrance to Glacier Natn'l Park is at St. Mary's. Sorry about the misinformation. The roadway between the town of East Glacier and West Glacier parallels the Park's southern border but does not include the Going-to-the -Sun road. When you exit the park at West Glacier, the Belton Lodge is a nice place for lunch/dinner.

Have a great trip and post some photos when you return.
Thanks, I'll definitely check out the Belton Lodge.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #46 of 69 Old Aug 16th, 2008, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Re: Planing A Road Trip - 08/16/08 - Maumee, OH

Got off a little later that I planed today. Road 790 miles from Columbus, GA to Maumee, OH (just west of Toledo, OH). Up to St. Ignace, then Deluth, MN tomorrow.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #47 of 69 Old Aug 17th, 2008, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Road Trip Update

08/16/08 - Day One: Columbus, GA - Maume, OH - 789 miles
08/17/08 - Day Two: Maume, OH - Ironwood, MI - 661 miles
Lunch in Mackinaw City, MI
Total Trip MIles = 1449.4

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #48 of 69 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 10:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Doc,

Pickwick Restaurant on the lake downtown is a nice place to eat.
Good German food or steaks. It has a bavarian atmoshere with plenty of
great beers on tap.

When looking for cheap motels, try momandpopmotels.com for inexpensive places to stay. Have a safe trip..
post #49 of 69 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordo
Doc,

Pickwick Restaurant on the lake downtown is a nice place to eat.
Good German food or steaks. It has a bavarian atmoshere with plenty of
great beers on tap.

When looking for cheap motels, try momandpopmotels.com for inexpensive places to stay. Have a safe trip..
Thanks.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #50 of 69 Old Aug 18th, 2008, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

Talking Re: Road Trip Update

08/16/08 - Day One: Columbus, GA - Maume, OH - 789 miles
08/17/08 - Day Two: Maume, OH - Ironwood, MI - 661 miles
Lunch in Mackinaw City, MI
Total Trip MIles = 1449.4
08/18/08 - Day Three: Ironwood, MI - Fargo, ND - 442 miles
Duluth, MN -Visited Aerostich Riders Warehouse - got some stuff.
Lunch at Cass Lake, MN
Bemidji, MN - picture of Bike with Paul Bunion and
Blue.
Lake Itasca - stuck finger in the
headwater of the Mississippi River.
Total Trip Miles = 1891.9

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE.
Tomorrow will head across ND and Montana towards Glacier National Park.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in