F650GS to a RT or GS? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

F650GS to a RT or GS?

I have had my 650GS for a year now.. Great first bike, great gas mileage and I will hopefully keep it...

I am looking for a bike to burn some two up miles.

I have bad carpal tunnel and the upright riding position of the 650 suits me well. I took a test ride on a GS and was pleased.

Can the RT be set up to be close to upright like the GS? I really like the creature comforts of the RT (Cruise will help wrists)

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:25 pm

Re: F650GS to a RT or GS?

Your scenario brings back memories. I had an F650GS; bought it new; rode it for a year; took the MSF advanced course on it; wanted something that my wife could ride on with me. I went to my dealer, rode a 1200GS and absolutely loved it. A bit tall but so smooth. My wife was uncomfortable on the back. Decided on an RT; was looking at the different colors on the showroom floor when my wife yelled at me. She was sitting on an LT and said "this is it". I took the LT for a ride. Sweating bullets as my experience was on the 650, it took about a block to get the feel and then I rode another hour before returning. Admittedly it was a huge transition, but I have never regretted it. I've had mine about 1 1/2 years. Aside from the comfort, what I value most is cruise control, electric windshield, and electric center stand. What I do regret was trading in my 650. If there is any way to keep it, I encourage you to do so. Good luck and let us know what you do.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 1:30 am

The feel of the wheel makes the deal, go out and take the RT for a ride, it is an incredible motorcycle, light, handles darn near as good ass a sport bike, extremely comfortable, must I say more.

PS. Word to the wise, don't bring your wife with you when trying to buy a new bike color (not model) is all they really care about.

Michael

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 2:44 am

My brother bought an RT, coming off a HD Ultra. He rode endlessly on the HD, but had to have custom seats on the RT immediately. Just FYI, everybody is different, try it youself.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 4:19 am

I came to my 1200RT from an 1150RT and before that a K1200s and 1200GS.

Both RTs have been the most comfy bikes to do miles on. The 1200 has the added benefit of being lighter and a bit quicker than the 1150.

Also my wife had a 650GS for a few years. Cracking bike, good fun and nice and down-to-earth.

I prefer the RT to the GS, particularly if you're doing 2-up riding for any length of time. The RT is agile and really good fun to ride in the twistier stuff too. Cracking weather protection too and yes, the cruise control is worth its weight in gold. I don't know what I did without it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in