Looking for NEW LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Looking for NEW LT

I'm trying to find a dealer with a new LT, preferably in Europe although US dealers also. There seems to be a shortage in the UK. Please PM with details if you know of any.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:27 pm

Re: Looking for NEW LT

BMW Louisville has them on the floor.

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Sills in Cleve. has em on the floor.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 7:17 am Thread Starter

Thanks for those. Any more?
Does anyone know any good shippers (air freight)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:55 am

There was a black 2008 or a 2009 (not sure which year) at Gengras BMW, Hartford, CT a couple days ago.

Gengras BMW
Can't help you with the air freight issue, but if you wanted someone to pick it up and deliver it to a shipper for you, I can offer to ride it to where you need it, and you pick up my airfare back to Hartford. With the value of the dollar right now, I bet you could do this and still save money as long as you can get it past all the red tape to get it registered in your country.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:57 am Thread Starter

Thanks I'll check that out. Louisville BMW wouldn't sell for export

post #7 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by axamax
Thanks I'll check that out. Louisville BMW wouldn't sell for export
It would not surprise me at all if US BMW dealers have a stipulation in their franchise that does not allow them to export.

I exported an absolutely cherry 74 Honda CB 350 Four to a chap in the UK a couple of years ago. He won it on my Ebay auction.

He got absolutely SLAMMED with shipping charges and especially duty - and this was on a 32 year old bike! It was ugly, although he wanted that bike sooo bad... and was willing to pay for it. With the current dollar pound (1:2) relationship it must look really cheap to see a new LT quoted in US dollars!

I think the only way you might pull this off is to have someone in the US buy it on your behalf, then sell it to you "used". I would shop around for shipping, the rates vary dramatically. Maybe if you flew here, picked up the bike and then took a cruise ship back you could take it with you as freight - and ride it around on the deck to entertain the old folks!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Yeah thanks Ron, I was looking at flying out anyway, maybe buy a "demonstrator".
The only I've found sop far for shipping was $1400 air freight. Then I have to add that cost to the cost of the bike. To that add 9% import duty, to that add 17.5% VAT. Then I have to register it 125 I think.
But it still works out cheaper than a UK bike, despite having started life this side of the pond.

I've had a few offers and I'm trying to decide between them.

post #9 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 4:43 pm

The sad thing is that you may not get registration plates on it and if you do then you will have to rebuild it to EU specs and that might be quite expencive.

There is a new law in effect thru the EU system, dated 17 june 2003 (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...03L0077:EN:NOT) where any bike imported from an non EU member country you must have all kind of tests done at a certified research facility. Even a confirmation from BMW will not do.
And after that time the US specs changed to the individual States (USA) requirements.

The tests and paperworks etc will run you maybe up to 3000 sterling + all the hazzle...so why bother?

Before you buy any MC from the US I would ask your custom and MOT if there is any restrictions and I would get it in writing.

You may also have a look at this site

http://www.mcia.co.uk/content/

http://www.vca.gov.uk/other/faqs-vehicle-importi.asp

For motorcycles being imported from outside of the EC, the Single Vehicle Approval Scheme is run by the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA). More information about the scheme can be found on the DirectGov website: http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/ (links to another site)

Last edited by paalao; Aug 5th, 2008 at 5:05 pm.
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I'd rather not go through too much red tape. I just picked up a message from my dealer in the UK saying he can order a bike, but I'll have to wait nearly two months. I'll phone HMCE later in the week and try to find out the facts. We've got a VOSA station a few hundred yards away as well.

post #11 of 14 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 6:20 pm

Try Miller BMW in Tallahassee Florida, 850-504-2390, ask for Dusty........

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 4:25 pm

You may want to check Canadian dealers. As far as I know teh BMW's that we get here in Canada are the same as the European ones. May be easier to get it imported into the UK as well being we are still a member of the commonwealth.

Ken

Ken Riach

2007 K1200LT

"
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 9:46 am

BMWOR has '09s on the floor too. Portland is both a high volume sea and air POE.

Good Luck..
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. I've got a few leads now. I've just got to make the decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in