1000 curves in NC - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:13 am Thread Starter

1000 curves in NC

Between doint the tail of the dragon 3 times yesterday morning and then the curves on 28 and 64 on my way to Brevard, must have done 1000 fabulous curves yesterday. What a wonderful experience.
As for the crazies on the tail, they are there for sure. Biggest concern besides getting stuck behind a slow mover was vehicles coming of the center line on those oh so tight curves, especially those guys in the small japanese cars flying around there like racers.
One thing for sure, that piece of road is not for beginners no matter how slow you go. I did it mostly in 3rd gear. It was fun, fun, fun.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:58 am

Re: 1000 curves in NC

Congrats on having fun and making back. We returned from the other end of the state (outer banks) and after a week on the bike, I'm not sure I did 1000 curves. But we did manage to see 4 of hte 5 lighthouses out there, the wright bros monument, and several other historical things.

First really long trip with wife on the LT and it never missed a beat. The autocom, however, was the only trouble we had. Grrrrr......

Glad you enjoyed our part of the world.

Randy
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

After another day of riding in the mountains I think there are many dragons on NC. Love this place.What a motorcycle heaven for those that love curves and lots of them -- dozens in succession and sharp corners. Love it.

Greg

I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Next time venture on to some side roads.
Even if they dead end, you will find much better roads than Deal's Gap.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Yes, western NC is curve heaven... one of them.

Forgive me for a brief hijack, but If you ever get up to Va/ WV, toward Bluefield, try out Robinson Tract Road- you'll be crossing Boomer Mountain (locals call it Bloomer Mountain)- lots of overnight parties out there, hence the name. Stop at the gas station restaurant (maybe the only one... afterward- you'll need the break.) This is one of the most exhausting, and possibly frightening (curves??? how about turn after turn of tight switchbacks, in the middle of nowhere) roads I've ever ridden the K12 on. I don't know if I ever got into second gear. But it's beautiful- not a soul around.

You can googlemap it: Robinson Tract Road, Pulaski, VA.

The whole trip was fantastic when we found this road. Many roads to rival the Dragon, et al. We set our gps for shortest distance and stayed off highways. From central NC to Bluefield, WV, to Breaks, VA. Stayed overnight in Breaks Interstate Park on the VA/ KY border- nice state park with a lodge/ cabins ($40-60 night, and restaurant in the park) Just remember to bring your own adult beverages as it is a state park. Jumped into KY the next morning and stopped at the gravesite of the unknown confederate soldier. From there, we went ot Mountain City, TN, then back home to NC. 4 states in 2 full days. Priceless. I wanted to keep going to OH, but decided to leave it for another day.

I guess my point is, there are many, many roads that are much better than the Dragon- in NC, TN, VA, WV, SC..... Gotta do the Dragon once to say you were there, but it's no longer enjoyable. I try to find the road less traveled- occassionally I wish I hadn't. I'll always remember Robinson Tract (Bloomer Road). I don't know if I'd ever do it again.

Enjoy your ride- sounds like you already are. Careful though, you'll be looking for an excuse to move here to NC.
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:22 pm

Living in Georgia with a brother rider in Asheville NC between the two of us we've been on most of the best twisties around but I can tell you the dragon is highly overated because of abuse. The nutjobs who think it is track day , the cops trying to keep them from killing themselves and others and the general overpopulation of every kind of bike, tuner car, touristo, and innocent bystander aka locals it has become a cliche I'd just as soon avoid.

Now I go more for North Georgia and do it early in the morning before neophyte weekend warriers are up and Harley's and slow moving SUV's are around. Then you can cruise , tour , or drag a knee with no lawman ganged up waiting at every apex or baby racers drifting over the line in your lane. There are some of those of course but I've been enjoying that. My brother goes from Asheville up into the backroads of Tennessee for more joys he has shared with me and I plan a trip there next. Good old country roads and high speed sweepers are infinitly more fun on touring bikes to me and roads all around the Apalachian mountains are actually plentiful. It's those "popular" little switchback extreme sports loops that you take your life in your own hands riding on during weekends. Not to sound like a spoil sport mind you I love carving up canyons as much as the next guy , just not en masse.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 7:17 am

I agree with the others in that deals gap is overrated, overused, abused, etc. I have a route here at home that runs about 100 miles if I do the whole thing and never gets much further than 5 or 6 miles from the blue ridge parkway. And there are four "gaps" that run up to the BRP and back down and then connect them with other fun roads that give you a little break. Scenic too.

But since they are lesser known, there is not so much traffic and not quite as crazy as the dragon.

Glad you're having fun though.

Randy
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 5th, 2008, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

I agree, too, about Deals Gap, though I will probably do it again before we leave. Some nice roads have driven on this week: 276, 215, 28, 64 and some I don't even know the names of. Just fabulous
Question. I frequently drag my right peg on tight turns and often scrape my side stand on left turns -- these are very tight turns for sure, but it bothers me and I wonder if others scrape these same things on their LTs??

Greg

post #9 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 7:30 am

yep
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrider
Yes, western NC is curve heaven... one of them.

Forgive me for a brief hijack, but If you ever get up to Va/ WV, toward Bluefield, try out Robinson Tract Road- you'll be crossing Boomer Mountain (locals call it Bloomer Mountain)- lots of overnight parties out there, hence the name. Stop at the gas station restaurant (maybe the only one... afterward- you'll need the break.) This is one of the most exhausting, and possibly frightening (curves??? how about turn after turn of tight switchbacks, in the middle of nowhere) roads I've ever ridden the K12 on. I don't know if I ever got into second gear. But it's beautiful- not a soul around.

You can googlemap it: Robinson Tract Road, Pulaski, VA.

The whole trip was fantastic when we found this road. Many roads to rival the Dragon, et al. We set our gps for shortest distance and stayed off highways. From central NC to Bluefield, WV, to Breaks, VA. Stayed overnight in Breaks Interstate Park on the VA/ KY border- nice state park with a lodge/ cabins ($40-60 night, and restaurant in the park) Just remember to bring your own adult beverages as it is a state park. Jumped into KY the next morning and stopped at the gravesite of the unknown confederate soldier. From there, we went ot Mountain City, TN, then back home to NC. 4 states in 2 full days. Priceless. I wanted to keep going to OH, but decided to leave it for another day.

I guess my point is, there are many, many roads that are much better than the Dragon- in NC, TN, VA, WV, SC..... Gotta do the Dragon once to say you were there, but it's no longer enjoyable. I try to find the road less traveled- occassionally I wish I hadn't. I'll always remember Robinson Tract (Bloomer Road). I don't know if I'd ever do it again.

Enjoy your ride- sounds like you already are. Careful though, you'll be looking for an excuse to move here to NC.
~~~~~~~~~
I grew up in southern WV (Bluefield) and at the time, didn't know that there was such a thing as a straight road! Lots of great back roads to wander for as long as you wish. Great curves and elevation changes, not to mention a lot of surprises like gravel, sand and dirt right in the middle of a leaning curve. That will surely raise the pucker factor.......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Passed a black LT headed north on the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway this morning, one of the few I've seen on this trip. Anyone? Anyone?
I was headed south on a Basalt Gray LT. And it was a beautiful day for riding.

Greg

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 8:22 pm

Check PM for a ride.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 7th, 2008, 5:56 pm

Greg,

Be sure and ride the Cherohala Skyway if you get the chance. You will not be disappointed.

Diehly

Poke it through, tuck and roll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in