The bikers are heading west.. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

The bikers are heading west..

You can tell Sturgis is coming up.. I have been up and down I-70 twice in the last 2 days heading from St Louis towards KC. I must have seen 200 bikes.
Mostly HDs and mostly riding. A few on trailers, but not many.
I would love to be heading out west right now.

It's going to be 100 here over the weekend..

Did see 3 LTs out of the swarms of bikes..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 2:52 pm

Re: The bikers are heading west..

I was through Sturgis recently at the MOA National. Everybody says you have to see the circus at least once-maybe some day.

Redrider
2000 K1200LT
2003 K1200RS

post #3 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 6:02 pm

I was there once, that was enough. I could not here for three days

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 6:14 pm

I rode through Sturgis (spent 2 days at Hill City, SD) on the way to the MOA Gillette Meet. The place was sort of a dump and most things were closed at 5. It looked like the town only opens one week a year.

I can see why they like it there, With the Black Hills immediately south, the Badlands 150 miles west, Devil' Tower abut 80 miles away, there are plenty of places to ride and in the middle of that, Sturgis is flat as a board so hogs won't fall over.

Much better to see with 5,000 BMW's than 600,000 anythings. They must double the population of S.D. and raise the number of deafness cases. TY - no.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
I rode through Sturgis (spent 2 days at Hill City, SD) on the way to the MOA Gillette Meet. The place was sort of a dump and most things were closed at 5. It looked like the town only opens one week a year.

I can see why they like it there, With the Black Hills immediately south, the Badlands 150 miles west, Devil' Tower abut 80 miles away, there are plenty of places to ride and in the middle of that, Sturgis is flat as a board so hogs won't fall over.

Much better to see with 5,000 BMW's than 600,000 anythings. They must double the population of S.D. and raise the number of deafness cases. TY - no.
I also rode through the town right before the MOA and I too was not impressed. I was surprised how many of the stores on main street were vacant, no wonder they get 12K for the rally as they appear to lie vacant the rest of the year.
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 6:33 am Thread Starter

I've never been to "Bike Week", but I did go through the Black Hills last year. Near Labor Day, but still lots of bikes.
I will say the roads are great. And I didn't miss our Missouri heat & humidity one bit..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #7 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 7:40 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlookin
I've never been to "Bike Week", but I did go through the Black Hills last year. Near Labor Day, but still lots of bikes.
I will say the roads are great. And I didn't miss our Missouri heat & humidity one bit..
Jeff come on you have to love the weather this last week! I think I lost 5 pounds just sweating on my rides to and from work I did have to wash my Jacket though, I think it is the same one you have on in your picture, firstgear? could not handle the smell any more.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 9:26 am

West? I'm camped at Deer Lodge, MT and all I see are H-Ds heading East. We're headed north to Glacier NP.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #9 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 2:10 pm

I wish the HDer here would head west and give the riders the curvey roads back.

I can't wait until fall when it is to cold for their poser selves to ride.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

I had to wash mine a week ago!! My wife said it was making her eyes water when I came in the house.. Funny,, it smelled ok to me???

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Jeff come on you have to love the weather this last week! I think I lost 5 pounds just sweating on my rides to and from work I did have to wash my Jacket though, I think it is the same one you have on in your picture, firstgear? could not handle the smell any more.

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #11 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 8:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

I've never done Sturgis and I don't think I want to. I did the Republic of Texas rally twice, once single, once married and I won't do that again either. I left just before sunset both times. I had more real fun singing with "the boys" in Luckenbach. My wife played guitar and sang, too. It was great. I must be getting old..........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 10:45 am

The Sturgis rally used to be real good,
back in the late 70's and early 80's,
just like the "early" days of Daytona bike week,
all the camping was free with showers provided by the city in their park.

Only the "real" riders attended back then,
you rarely saw a trailer unless it was a vendor.

The last year I attended was 88,
because it got to commercialized.

Can't imagine what it must be like now.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2008, 10:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
They must double the population of S.D. and raise the number of deafness cases. TY - no.
We just returned from the hills last night and there seemed to be more yamaha's and honda's with straight pipes than harley's. It was actually pretty quiet this year. The traffic was down about 30% by my guess. You could park on main street just about anytime. There was an article in the paper that said it is now a ticketable offense to have a modified exhaust. I wonder if that applies to the Remus on a LT?

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in