Looking for Comments on Triumph Trophy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 10:55 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Looking for Comments on Triumph Trophy

I'm looking for a good new or used bike for a daily commuter and lighter "fun bike". Today I looked at a '96 Triumph Trophy 1200. The bike is a 1200 cc, 4 cyl, carbureted, chain driven bike with OEM hard side cases, new tires, and 23k miles on it. The owner (second owner) is asking $3,200.

The bike has different ergos than my LT, and many of the features we take for granted on the LT are missing, of course. Still, it's a nice-looking bike and the owner claims it has been flawless for the 2 years and 4k miles he has had it. (yes, I know that claim could be baseless, but you gotta trust somebody at some point). The owner is happy to send me on a test ride.

The original owner had a low-speed crash on gravel, so the present owner repainted and repaired it. He repainted it himself, and it shows; the paint job is... well, it covers everything but you can see the paint has a kind of texturing that shows it wasn't a professional paint job. He put some after-market (non-Triumph) turn signals on, front and rear. They work but don't look "right", and yep - they could be changed out. Still, for $3200, I'm wondering what you all think of this?

I have read all of the threads that include "triumph" and "trophy"; there are some serious negative comments about the Trophy, as well as some positive comments.

What do you think? Comments, please.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:00 pm

Re: Looking for Comments on Triumph Trophy

Got a ten foot pole?
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 9:24 am

Talking Re: Looking for Comments on Triumph Trophy

Howard if you're interested in a Triumph check out the Tigers. From '94 to '99 they were a totally different Bike than the current one with the exception of the engine, a 3 cylinder water cooled one. The early versions were carbs and the newer ones have Fuel Injection as well as being bored out to around 1000cc from the original 900 (885)cc.

I recently purchased a '95 Tiger and am really enjoying not only the lighter weight, but the fact that I can take it off road for a stretch should I desire!

I attached a file pic of a '98 Tiger.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98 British GreenTiger.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	18900  

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 8:51 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

+1 on the Tiger. I am seriously considering one of the 1050's. But, I also have a deposit down on a F800 GS.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 9:03 pm

Stay away from it. Those bike weren't overly popular with the 1200 and I think they had some issues. Plus it's been bounced off the ground. If the guy doesn't care enought to do a decent job fixing the bodywork, how do you think he treated the rest of it?

You're better off looking at the Tigers if you're hot for a Triumph, or a Sprint ST or RS. FJR1300s aren't bad bikes, and an older Ducati ST2 could be fun.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 6 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 11:16 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, guys, for the comments. I'm seeing a bit of a trend here...

To clarify, it's not that I'm interested in a Triumph. This bike just happened to come to my attention; it was a very nice-looking bike... until the close inspection and detailed conversation with the owner. The $3200 price tag caught my attention, also. Kelley Blue Book prices it at $3920, but the owner's lower price makes sense given the bike's condition and mediocre repaint job.

I took an '08 Tiger on a demo ride during my local BMW/Triumph/Ducati dealer's open house a couple of months ago. Nice bike, but more money than I want to spend on a daily commuter & fun bike.

I looked at an '04 R1150RT today at BMW MC of Louisville (KY). The owner, 80 years old!, had it there on consigment. 6600 miles on it, and priced at $9000.

I'll pass on the Triumph Trophy. Thanks for the help.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in