Buying a K1200LT Info/Prices - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:37 am Thread Starter

Buying a K1200LT Info/Prices

I am new to the BMW World, having rode Harleys all my life. Well hot and noisy engines have finally cause me to look else where for a new ride. After a few trips to the dealers I have limited my selection to a few bikes, K1200LT, K1200GT and the R1200RT. I know they are all different types of bikes, and after riding all of them the K1200LT seems to fit my style the best. I just was wondering, and I don't feel the dealership will give me a straight answer to my question.... After reading articles about the K1200LT the all state the the bike has very poor low speed handling and is a bit top heavy, being I only took a short test ride, I was unable to really see it. And also how does it compare to the Honda Goldwing (which is always the bike most people indicate as the top touring bike). Lastly how do I get the prices of Used BMWs. I tried KBB and NADA, but the prices are just too general. Thank you for any help you my give me with these questions....PaulE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:36 pm

Re: Buying a K1200LT Info/Prices

Have been driving BMW's since 1976 but a few months ago I considered a transfer to a Goldwing. I had the opportunity to try the Wing for a long ride. Compared to the LT, you have to plan your curves a litte bit more and do some contra steering on the Wing. The LT does it all by it self (my opinion - maybe it's because I'm so familar to the LT). And you can drive a bit more agressive with the LT then the Wing. And I've never scrubbed (not sure of the right english word) in the curves with the LT, but with the Wing it happened often. The seats are more comfortable on the Wing for me, but my wife are more comfortable on the LT. A 360 turn at low speed is a lot easier with the Wing, but otherwise the LT and the Wing are almost similar, but nothing can beat the sound of a Wing and there's a lot more chrome and fun things to add to the wing than the LT. And after driving Route 66 on an Electra Glide this month, my wife and mine opinion are that the seating comfort is better on the Electra Glide than the Wing, but for my wife the LT is still the best. One thing though to consider, I've just had a final drive failure on my 2004 LT with just 30000 km on the speedometer!! But even so, I have decided to stick to the LT and are waiting for "maybe" 2009 model.

Jostein
Blue Knights Norway I
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 3:20 pm

You are on a BMW LT site, you should expect positive comments about the LT. The LT IS a bit top heavy and a handful at low speeds, HOWEVER, the dealer was not very fearful about you dropping it, was he? After all, you were able to take it for a test ride. Were you able to get a Goldwing for a test ride?

If you search this forum you will find a lot of comparisons to the Goldwing. The choice is completely personal because both bikes have their high points and their low points. If you are coming off a Harley, you need to understand that the LT is not a torque monster the way the Goldwing is. You need to use rpm on the LT to develop power, keep it up in the 3-4,000 range. The LT 4 doesn't pull hard at low rpm the way the Goldwing 6 will.

Prices vary widely. Do a search in the classifieds here, in the BMWMOA.org flea market, on the ibmwr.org site, cycletrader, craigslist, etc. Post the info about what you are interested in and members here will give you their totally biased opinions on value.

Good luck on your search, and if you end up with an LT, stay in touch!

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 5:45 pm

The best advice I got on this site is remember- it's just a bike underneath the plastic. Are you going to do your own maintenence? If so, do have the tools and equipment? Coming from Harley you will need metric stuff not SAE and a few special tools and possibly a lift. I found coming from the same side of things as you that it's really hard to judge the whole aspect of any bike from one test ride. You might consider reading all the bitches & gripes you can find on this site then keep them in mind when you test. Many have gotten used to the complaints and still keep riding the LT. Some common LT complaints:

very topheavy at low speed
seat
footpegs/riding position
poor headlights
noisy brakes
sparse dealer network

Whatever you buy good luck.

'05 LT Goldfinger
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 5:53 pm

Coming off of several HD baggers myself it takes alittle getting use to something different but after a few rides you will wonder why you took so long to make the decision!!

After maintaining my HD's for 30+ years it is pretty easy doing your own maintenance as i did, except for the ABS...

It takes alittle longer getting to stuff having to take off the tupperware but then that is why such a great engine making so much power effortlessly gets the most miles per gallon !!! It's the aerodynamics!

I consistently got 48-52 MPG on that big sportbike..

Good luck ...

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #6 of 8 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 11:18 pm

It's top heavy and clumsy at slow speed, but other than that, near perfect touring bike.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 7:02 am

Where to start .......

After riding HD for more than 30 years and having every model
I was fed up with the lack of passing ability my new 1999 FLHTCI had.

I had put a baker 6 speed , samson pipes, power commander, kn air filter
after all of this time and money nearly killed myself passing a truck
on a two lane...... and the gas mileage sucked.....

I went to the BMW dealer and was looking at the LT, the sales guy asked if I had any questions I said lots.
After I came back from a test ride ( something i never got in 30 years of HD buying and riding) the salesman said now what are all of those questions
you have ?
I thought for a quick second and said "what colors do the [email protected]#n things come in...........

Compaired to BMW HD has NO brakes

The BMW loves the revs HD has the bottem end torque

BMW has the handeling and cornering that HD only dreams of.

Life is short ride what moves you not 80,000 of your closest friends....

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 9:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have both a 99 FLHRCI and an '05 LT. Both bikes have their pluses and minuses, and I thoroughly enjoy both.

Totally different rides for totally different missions, IMHO. The HD is great in town and on relatively short hops (<6 hours/day), and the LT is great for longer runs and a blast in the twisties.

Although I have not seen it in this thread, you will see some HD bashing on this site. Keep in mind everyone has their own opinion, and this is an LT site.

Whatever you choose, stay alert, stay safe, and enjoy the ride!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in