Motorcyclist - Battle of the Baggers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Motorcyclist - Battle of the Baggers

Victory Vision, H-D tourer, Triumph Rocket III, and Wing............uh, no LT???? Now there's a fair comparison of touring bikes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:34 pm

Re: Motorcyclist - Battle of the Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Victory Vision, H-D tourer, Triumph Rocket III, and Wing............uh, no LT???? Now there's a fair comparison of touring bikes.
What's funny is they include a Wing which doesn't really fit into the "bagger" mold.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 6:51 am

My guess is, they wanted to include a honda, and the VTX "touring" model is a joke. (add bags, windshield & raise the price $1,000)
They went with the wing so they could keep honda happy..

08 R1200GSA
04 K12LT (Sold)
97 R1100GS (Sold)
SS1000--IB # 32778

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
They probably couldn't get one. It's not like BMW is really trying hard to sell the LT. Seems they're sort of ashamed of it, really.

The LT should have been included in place of the Triumph, which has no place in the "Luxury Touring" market. it is neither luxurious, nor does it have any semblance of touring capability. The pathetic 120 mile range disqualifies it outright.

I would disqualify the H-D too, just on inadequate power (62 hp for a 800 lb vehicle!! ). But for some it represents the "top of the line". It seems the Road Glide is a better touring platform for most of the serious, non-posing, H-D riders I've talked to.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:25 pm

I agree with all said. I've never found any of the mags care much about BMWspeak. There's been more press lately about the HP2. For me, the blessing and curse of our bikes is that they really aren't considered mainstream enough for vendors to provide support in terms of what we call farkles, and most of what you need for the bike comes from the dealer only. I still get approached at gas stations by people saying they didn't know BMW even made motorcycles.

'05 LT Goldfinger
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 12:35 pm

Have you guys ever seen this?
MCN test: Victory Vision, Electraglide, K1200LT and Goldwing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYUbURkdvnY
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 1:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Every review of a BMW has always commented on the bad headlights, but still they remain a BMW "feature" on the newer models. BMW has been bashed by the IBA on the rear drive issue without nary a peek out of the fatherland.

Can it be that the headmasters at BMW don't read or do they just don't give a S**t.

I like my LT, but there is probably a list of 20 or more items that are obviously in need of improvement to all but the most obtuse observer. The fact they have not been fixed shows the "don't care" attitude of the company.

My feeling is BMW has no wish to be a ride for the masses and the quirkiness of the bikes will remain as a "feature".

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2008, 1:54 pm

Watched the you-tube. Very entertaining and I'd love to ride "over there". There have been alot of comments about the lack of BMW interest in what riders say. I have to admit, I've had the same feeling about all the bikes I've owned. So many "now why would they put that there?" not to mention "did any of the engineers actually sit on or ride this?". Apparently, they are all doing well enough that they don't totally have to pay attention to us except what we are willing to buy. My opinion.

'05 LT Goldfinger
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 10:37 am

I found my new m/c mags when I got home from a week long bike trip last night. As I settled in the garage in front of the LT to have a peek, I first found the snub of LT in the MOTY, where they said something about the Gold wing having no other competition. What??? how can I tell the LT that? It just took us for a week of around 800 miles, returning 41.3 avg MPG for the trip. I think my mileage over our trip was better than any of theirs. With all the comforts that only an LT can provide.

Then no LT in the touring comparo. Of course, I haven't checked to see if BMW has an ad this month or not. But as someone else said, BMW probably doesn't care about this market segment anymore. Did the mag not ask for a bike or did BMW not offer, or...? The guy on the ferry that had rented an HD Ultra classic was pretty impressed with the LT and compared it to the Gold Wing he used to have.

But yeah, I feel pretty slighted by motorcyclist continually in that regard. The subscription was a gift, so I'll likely let it go.

Then I looked thru my new Rider mag and saw their cruiser comparo. All the bikes except the HD Heritage are HEAVIER than the LT. WhAT???? How crazy is that? And we complain.... ; ) And none of them have the creature comforts of the LT (hte L is for LUXURY, after all).

BUT, let a cruiser have plastic fenders or bodywork and see how they complain....

If I believed what I read, I guess I'd have to explain to the LT how it isn't even considered viable anymore and how I'd have to trade it for a lesser bike. It wouldn't believe me though and would beg me to take it for a ride, at which point I'd remember that I didn't like that magazine. Maybe I should trade magazines, eh?

Randy
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 12:28 pm

It's lonely at the top. In Europe the BMW R 1200 RT outsells all others by a wide margin, where in North America, the GS is currently king of sales in BMW stores with the RT second and the LT next in touring. There are die hard LT owners at my dealership who wouldn't even look at another bike and if you ask them they moved there from wings and hogs. Only one guy moved there up from a Valkree in my personal weekly one on one surveys. Not scientific mind you but you do get trends pretty quick.

I have been saving for a new RT but would look at the LT very closely though in my style of riding I think if I departed from my beloved R's I'd likely go with the K in GT format simply because I likely would have to trade my R 1150 R in on it and that would mean I have no bike to ride in the twisties aggressively so the GT would be the compromise there. That of course is what makes the R 12 RT so compelling. Sort of the better compromise though the top heavey nature of it is not so compelling to us vertically challenged.

I've seen the Victory and I think it is Marvelously conceived and may end up in a museum someday as a styling benchmark. Yep it is subjective but as a designer by trade sometimes the new is like that. I see some subtle things that would help a lot but I like the idea that it is so modern and retro at the same time. Not retro in the sense of a HD but in the sense of art deco idealogy. In short it is stunning and with the deceptively short wheelbase you can drive it much quicker than a harley or any other cruiser I know of .

So I'm still saving for the RT right now.

No matter where you go , there you are.
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 4th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Sheezz, you guys missed the most important point of the issue...Versys by Kawasaki...Bike of the Year!

When they heard I got one last year, they said, "Well, I guess we know what to name bike of the year in 08...Pete got one!"

Actually, I do have 9k on it by now, and have only been out of town once...to the MOA rally in Gillette. One up, it makes a better tourer than most of those in the mix, and a bunch better in the canyons. 60 hp at 400 lbs, 55 inch wheel base gives it more acceleration than the GS's and RT's of the world and its steady as a rock among trucks. It is truly one fun bike. 7500 recommended between oil changes, screw on common oil filter; have yet to adjust the chain. One of the better commuter bikes going. The Versys is pretty well sold out for 08, but 09 holds a selection of colors and the ABS option available in the USA. Both options have been available for several years in Canada and Europe.

So much for the commercial...its just a bike for the common man who loves to ride motorbikes, and ....

[whisper] its only $7--- out the door!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 8th, 2008, 10:45 am

Having read the article, it became very apparent to me why the LT was not included...it would have been a blowout. They praised the Wing for handling...something the LT would have done much better. Then the praised the Vision for its Garmin GPS and styling...again something the LT would have won out on. Clearly Motorcyclist assembled four bikes trying to find the ultimate touring bike amongst them, but ended up deciding in the article that the winner was the one that they failed to include.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in