Need to vent - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Need to vent

I was on my way to work this morning and was just about to my cloverleaf interchange where I go from one interstate to another, I had just gotten into the off ramp lane and was paying attention to the many cars that were entering the interstate I was leaving when I caught a car passing me out of the corner of my eye. What I thought was strange was they were in the left lane and lots of cars were getting on, seemed to me thay would want to get over. We low and behold they did get over, about 3 feet in front of me and since they were going so fast they slammed on thier brakes. Never in my life have I had to jam the brakes on a bike so hard, thank god for ABS. I was well off the seat from the brake force and couldn't find the horn fast enough. I don't understand why she choose to risk my life so she could go around the ramp first!! I'm sure I'm going to steam about this all day

2001 K1200LTC
1998 Suzuki Marauder 800
1982 Suzuki GS550L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 8:55 am

Re: Need to vent

Glad you were alert and reacted appropriately. Remember, they ARE all out to get you.

That kind of stuff happens to us around Detroit all the time. Just yesterday, a person on a cell phone cut off my SO as we were going to breakfast. She got behind the car and aimed the modulating headlight right into the side mirror...just to make sure the driver saw her.....

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 1:08 pm

Glad you're okay. Good reaction.

I never understand why people risk their lives to get that exit they almost missed. I see so many stupid moves like that. There's another exit a couple miles down, fool!

If you're on a tollway, it can be a hassle because you have to pay more money and the exits tend to be farther apart (missing an exit off the 90 near Chicago cost me 20 minutes each way and $1.20), but it's not worth it. Sometimes people just don't think.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 28th, 2008, 2:12 pm

You can stop steaming. I located her and shot her in the head. She won't be doing that again.

Glad you're ok.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
Sometimes people just don't think.
Sometimes they just don't CARE.....

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
You can stop steaming. I located her and shot her in the head. She won't be doing that again.

Glad you're ok.

I LOVE IT! :-)

Beautify America - Get a Tattoo!
2002 K1200LT (going, going, GONE)
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 5:11 pm

Quote:

Glad you're ok.
If only we could eliminate the STUPID drivers in such a way !! ..... Bummer of that is we ALL do a stupid once in awhile

The primary reason I seldom take the bike to work or ride the freeways ...
FAR too many idiots who could care less about the little O'l M/C riders.

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 16 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 6:32 pm

Quote:

Glad you're ok.
Ahhh, but her sister is still out there

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

post #9 of 16 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 6:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Unhappy Re: Need to vent

I try to ride most mornings on my way in to the big fish tank and what happened to you is an everyday occurrence around here. I go from I-75 to I-4 and then off on a few back roads and it is rare that I don't take some sort of evasive action. I really just expect it and am surprised when I don't have to make a quick "unexpected" move.

A good sign that I'm not paying attention enough is when I think I need to use my horn. Sorry for your surprise and glad that it worked out Ok. I think what happened to you is the new reality.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Glad you reacted and did the right thing. Was there a full moon out our something? I thought I was going to buy the farm today also when a truck 18 wheeler, pulled out from a stop sign making a left turn into my space. I could see his face, and could tell he wasn't in my world, he did not see me moto lights and HID and all. I could not believe this was happening. The only thing I could do was to evade right and twist that throttle. So glad the bike accelerated smartly. Didn't have time to look for that horn either. I think it rattled him too after I appeared right in front of him going like a bat out of Hello. He hit the breaks (no need at that point) and drove slow until I was out of sight.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 29th, 2008, 9:07 pm

Well this venting thing is just what I need. Today had two folks change lanes right on top of me as I was passing on the left, me in left lane, them in the middle, they changed lanes with no signal, no look and I had to brake (so as not to break) hard bot times. In both cases the driver of the offending vehicle seemed oblivious to my presence. Indeed, I was in their blind spot at some point in passing them, but neither signaled which would have alerted me to speed up or drop back to make way. Last year an 18 wheeler did this and forced me to the shoulder at 65 mph. My seat still shows the pucker marks.

Ride like they are trying to kill you and you will never be disappointed.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 4:54 am

Now I'll Post my story about the BMW rider that tried to take me out...

I was riding the Cherohala and caught up the a group of four bikes.
A cruiser, and BMW R1200, two Connies. They were riding at about 35-40 on the NC side heading east.
Knowing the road, a paassing zone was coming up and I prepared to pass.
As the lines dootted I accellerated the 848 into the other lane and quickily got by the two Connies, as I approached the BMW, he just popped into the other lane and slowly sped up.
When I say popped, he went from the middle of the right lane to the middle of the left lane and seemed like he just parked there.
I can only immagine what the Connies were thinking as the back of the Duc stood up.
Forunately, I was watching the riders and was prepared for stupidity.

They were from Kentucy. Apparently, Kentucy residents don't check mirrors while on vacation.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 10:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasnRacin
Ahhh, but her sister is still out there
...but she can't touch you as long as you keep those ruby slippers on.
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 30th, 2008, 3:55 pm

One of the first accessories I added to the LT was a headlight modulator. Had to remove the HID high beam the PO put in to do it, but people see me a lot better.

Still Just Jerry

2005 LT "Lucky"
2003 Moto Guzzi Aluminum "The Fog"

post #15 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2008, 12:16 am

Good reaction and glad you're okay. Just remember, "You can't fix stupid!"

My wife and I are leaving Arches National Park last week when some moron decides to pass an oncoming truck. It's a double line, they're now in our lane. I bllnk the lights, they keep coming. I hit the horn and then the brakes. He makes it back into his lane and has the audacity to give us the finger. Go figure.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #16 of 16 Old Aug 6th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Its seems that as the gas prices go up the driver I.Q.s go down. I have had so many close calls (some of them my own stupidity) I cant focus on one story. I know that people are so self centered that they will try and challenge me when I'm operating one of the large pay loaders. I had a guy ram the back end of my sweeper while I was in a right hand turn because he thought I was going to slow. As the economy and society continue to swirl around the toilet bowl people are going to get much more self centered. It is for this reason I dont carry a gun.

2003 K1200 LT E ( Traded )
1976 Suzuki Gt 185 Adventurer ( Sold )
1982 Kawasaki Ltd 440 ( Leaking oil on shed floor )
1967 Sears Sr 250 (Puch) ( Needs new points )
1996 Kawasaki Ex 250
When I cant ride-
2000 Elgin Pelican
1996 Case 621B
2004 John Deere 624J
2005 Ford Ranger 2wd
Life is short....Ride every thing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in