Choices - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Choices

Just finished reading the account of the accident suffered by Colyn's son and it made me remember I had a discussion with LAF after one of our rides. He commented that when approaching the top of a blind summit I tended to move left of center. He said if I was going to get whacked, it would be there as an approaching car might be over the center line. My response is that I would move left of center in case there was a car on the right shoulder or someone backing out of a hidden driveway on the right side of the road.

I realize there is probably no right or wrong answer to this conundrum other than moving to Florida or Kansas. But, I am curious as to how the rest of you handle this situation. LOC, C or ROC?

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 5:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Choices

Depends on the road.. If I've ridden previously I know where roads (or driveways) enter.. if just over a "rise" in the road that may block my sight, I will adjust accordingly.

When running out in the "plains" I tend to stay in the right tire rut... if there is a shoulder on the road.. if not, then LOC or C because most likely road debris/carcasses will be on the road edges..... then, stay aware as the horizon evolves.

If at night almost always LOC.. to minimize critter pool.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #3 of 3 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:36 am

Re: Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Just finished reading the account of the accident suffered by Colyn's son and it made me remember I had a discussion with LAF after one of our rides. He commented that when approaching the top of a blind summit I tended to move left of center. He said if I was going to get whacked, it would be there as an approaching car might be over the center line. My response is that I would move left of center in case there was a car on the right shoulder or someone backing out of a hidden driveway on the right side of the road.

I realize there is probably no right or wrong answer to this conundrum other than moving to Florida or Kansas. But, I am curious as to how the rest of you handle this situation. LOC, C or ROC?
Chris
If there was a car on the right shoulder or backing out of a driveway it would be going slowly, if a vehicle was over the centre line it would be traveling much faster straight towards you, my choice is the slow car knowing I would have more time to brake. Of course all this is reversed for us in Australia.
Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in