Interlaken youth hostels - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:11 pm Thread Starter

Interlaken youth hostels

Has anyone stayed in a youth hostel? Does youth mean only young people can stay there? How are they for accomadations? I am going to be riding down to interlaken, switzerland and it looks like the price for a youth hostel is very reasonable.
Any recommend any roads in the area that is a must ride?
Thanks all

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 7:46 pm

Re: Interlaken youth hostels

Youth Hostels are not only for youths. Bavaria (Southern part of Germany) has an age limit of 26 years old. As far as I know That is the only place with an age restriction. I'm a life member.
Accomodation: You are likely to be sharing a room ( normally 4 to 8 beds these days). Shower/ Toilet will most likely be down the hall. They can be quite pleasant. Most European ones have a bar and a common room.

Many Hostels now double as small convention centres to make ends meet.
Hostels website: www.iyhf.org

Also look at www.accorhotels.com Their Etap hotels are normally cheap and clean. Their formule1 hotels are even cheaper but not ensuite.
If riding over there, don't rely on getting gas on a Sunday. It sometimes seems the whole place is shut on a Sunday. Current gas prices are 2 swiss francs per litre of regular, which is a lot cheaper than surrounding countries.

If you need any more info let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:04 am

Back in 1995, I stayed at Balmer's in Interlaken for a few nights. From a quick search on the web, I see that they're still around.

If peace and quiet is what you seek...Balmer's might not be the ticket. A very young set hangs out there, and it's usually more like a frat party each night. That being said, it's a very Americanized place...the serve chicken strips and burgers, and had "The Simpsons" playing on the TVs (back then, someone was sending tapes to them every once in a while).

In the middle of my trip, it was actually nice to find a little piece of home in the midst of a month and a half of eating baguettes and strawberry jam...but I was also 19 at the time

Good luck. Interlaken is a beautiful place!

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 11:03 am

Hello

I have been to Interlaken twice before, though not on a bike, by train. It is the way into the Jungfrau region. I recommend you park the bike for a day and spend a day doing the loop up to Grindelwald, up the Eiger, then back around to Interlaken. This is a fabulous train trip every part of which is worthwile, beautiful and exciting. Make sure you include the portion that goes up the Eiger inside the mountain (Kleine Scheidig?) and the loop back to Intelaken, not simply the return from Grindelwald straight back to Interlaken the way you came up. This will also give you a good feeling for the region, the roads and other possibilities. Have lunch in Grindelwald at a hotel looking straight up at the Eiger north face.

Chose a good, clear day and you will remember it forever.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in