zumo 550 and satallite antenna - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

zumo 550 and satallite antenna

has anyone installed the gxm30 to a zumo 550 on a k1200LT??? if so...where did you install that 3" antenna??? i thought it would be small like the antenna i use in the truck that is very small...this honkin thing is large...and i really don't want to drill holes in the tupperware to make it obviously it was rigged... any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks... kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Re: zumo 550 and satallite antenna

I mounted my 550 on a BMR shelf.
I dont have the antennea, but I have seen a nice installation
by adding the side shelf to the BMR shelf.( Its an acessory for it, see BMR products) Do a search on this site for GPS installation, I think I saw a pict on there. Good luck
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 19th, 2008, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdovie
has anyone installed the gxm30 to a zumo 550 on a k1200LT??? if so...where did you install that 3" antenna??? i thought it would be small like the antenna i use in the truck that is very small...this honkin thing is large...and i really don't want to drill holes in the tupperware to make it obviously it was rigged... any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks... kirk
I put my GXM-30 antenna in the front pouch of my Chicane tank bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3210.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	18754  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:18 am Thread Starter

thank you...... might go with the tank bag since it will not be as visible...
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:55 am

I just installed a 550 and the GXM 30 on my LT. I used the BMR Co-Pilot shelf and an accessory arm for the GXM 30. Works fine and looks good. I drilled the accessory arm and simply screwed it down using 3mm stainless screws. I suspect it's secure enough like that since I cover the whole bike at night anyway. Someone would have to know what it was and want it badly to go to the trouble of getting it, and like all XM radios, it would be useless once it was reported stolen since they won't activate a stolen radio.

I've got the Nav and XM sound piped through the Aux input on my '05's audio system and it nearly perfect. Nearly. The volume is significantly lower than the radio or CD player. I'm boosting it right now with a Boosteroo ($29 at Radio Shack) but I have an Amplirider from Electric-avenues.com ordered that should allow me to synch the volume perfectly.

(That matters only because I want to be able to switch to the radio or cd player without having remember to re-adjust the volume to avoid being blown off the seat!)
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 27th, 2008, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

thanks...this is helpful... i am probably going with the shelf and i do know the zumo is quiet when it comes to voice commands and music... even using the car adapter... loving the bike...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in