This is sad... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:08 am Thread Starter

This is sad...

Ride to Work Day, and one other bike in the parking lot (rat Ninja250 ridden by a guy downstairs). There is a 90% chance of thunderstorms, but come on.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:34 am

Re: This is sad...

The highways around the San Antonio area were strangely devoid of bikes, too. I purdy much ride everyday. I reckon the gas crunch isn't hurting anyone, eh?

On a fun note: bumper to bumper traffic, a lady on a cell phone decided to share my lane. I flipped on the cruise and knocked on her window. She jumped and dropped her cell phone. I just wish she had been drinking something, too. As it was, I almost pissed myself laughing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #3 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:36 am
Lifetime Supporter

It is too early (7:00 AM) to check the parking garage, which is still mostly empty. I saw more than the usual number of bikes on the road this morning from 5:30 - 6:00 AM. There were more "wavers" out today, too. I am looking forward to the ride home. (Orange County, CA, USA)

post #4 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:36 am

I rode to office today!
One other rode.
post #5 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:42 am
Cat Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The highways around the San Antonio area were strangely devoid of bikes, too. I purdy much ride everyday. I reckon the gas crunch isn't hurting anyone, eh?

On a fun note: bumper to bumper traffic, a lady on a cell phone decided to share my lane. I flipped on the cruise and knocked on her window. She jumped and dropped her cell phone. I just wish she had been drinking something, too. As it was, I almost pissed myself laughing.
LOL, Did you knock with your Glock?

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.
post #6 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:08 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:

Be Careful!!!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:10 am

I ride as often as is feasible

Yeh I am saving gas thats it!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #8 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:20 am

I rode today, but, being a rebel, I counteract the gas savings by taking the long way

Joe

2005 KLT "Old Blue"

Bruno the "Bugg"

Democracy will only exist until 51% of the population believes they can live off the other 49% .
post #9 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
LOL, Did you knock with your Glock?
No need in this case

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #10 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gglove
Be Careful!!!
Be careful of what? No way is a ditzy bitch gonna bring me down.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:53 am

I rode in just like any other day. Maybe it's me, but I'm seeing more bikes on the road now....except when I come in at 5:30. Streets are pretty quiet then. I see them more when I'm heading home.

I had some idiot woman decide she wanted my lane yesterday. No cell phone, just out in la la land and not watching.

I swear I'm gonna get one of those Gallagher dart guns and start tagging some of these drivers....or better yet, a paintball Uzi.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #12 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:01 am

Well as soon as I get a job, I will ride to work!!!!!

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #13 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:01 am

It is sad indeed. I work for the corporate telecom giant Verizon and usually the area reserved for motorcycles is full by the time I get in. Imagine my surprise when there were quite a few empty spaces today. I don't get it. Only a slight chance of rain predicted here in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area.

And I received more than one reminder email of Ride To Work Day...

David

P.S. Get 'em, Grif!!! I hate the SUV driving Soccer Mom yackin' on the cell!!!!!
post #14 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:28 am

Howdy, folks. I'll be driving the Focus into work today. I can't figure out how to shoehorn this boot cast under the shift lever on QuickSilver. It's really starting to bum me out. Paint ball Uzi, eh? Now there's an interesting idea. Good on ya, Griff. Did you wag your index finger at her to say no you don't?

Gimpin' Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #15 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:51 am

Quote:
Be careful of what? No way is a ditzy bitch gonna bring me down.

I agree I had one knock off my bike last year! I just flip them off
I just am saying when we focus of these people we can not see our surroundings and end up getting in trouble.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #16 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:58 am

The paintball uzi isn't a bad idea. I think we could put it under the seat were the carbon canister goes. Then put a muzzle out the sides, front and back. This way I could shoot at the soccer mom who is tailgating me, the person in front that wants to sit in the passing lane, and at the Cell toting mamas who cut me off. I just put a switch or some type of trigger on the handlebars and go for it. 100 rounds in 5 seconds would make an statement I think.

It is time to fight back and let the cages know there are other vehicles on the road.

Oh well, everyone can dream and feel a bit rebellious.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #17 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
It is too early (7:00 AM) to check the parking garage, which is still mostly empty. I saw more than the usual number of bikes on the road this morning from 5:30 - 6:00 AM. There were more "wavers" out today, too. I am looking forward to the ride home. (Orange County, CA, USA)
I just went downstairs and looked in the parking garage (10:30 AM). There are no new bikes, just the "regulars".
post #18 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmurphy165
Howdy, folks. I'll be driving the Focus into work today. I can't figure out how to shoehorn this boot cast under the shift lever on QuickSilver. It's really starting to bum me out. Paint ball Uzi, eh? Now there's an interesting idea. Good on ya, Griff. Did you wag your index finger at her to say no you don't?

Gimpin' Karl
I was in a cast for a year and half. Duck taped a steel plate on the cast to shift and bungeed the crutches to the handlebar (Harley). You should have seen the doctor's face when I went in for my first appointment after getting out of the horsepistol.

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 12:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I guess it's too hot here today and yesterday (+90). The 2 Hardleys didn't show up and I'm the only one that wears gear.

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #20 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 1:06 pm

Quote:
I can't figure out how to shoehorn this boot cast under the shift lever on QuickSilver. It's really starting to bum me out.
Anyone got a heel-toe shifter to loan to Karl?

Saw about a dozen bikes out this morning, with about half who looked like they were heading to work. Of the others, two rode into residential areas, one had a large seat-bag with sleeping bag on top, and three couples, looking like they took the day off to ride as a group. Pretty much the same volume and mix as I've seen for the past few weeks.

Don't remember last time I left the bike home....6 or 8 weeks ago, I think.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #21 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
I guess it's too hot here today and yesterday (+90). The 2 Hardleys didn't show up and I'm the only one that wears gear.

Jer
Jer me to I was sweating my fat ass off!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #22 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 2:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Ride to Work Day, and one other bike in the parking lot (rat Ninja250 ridden by a guy downstairs). There is a 90% chance of thunderstorms, but come on.

And all those empty spaces are the ones complaining the loudest about fuel prices! Go figure.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #23 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 4:04 pm

CRAP! I didn't have any clean riding clothes today (was going to ride just to ride bike)and forgot about it! We've been unusually busy lately and it sliiped my mind and I haven't even had time to get here in the last few days. I have missed it every year for one reason or another - I usually plan and forget. I did ride Monday. And will have clean riding clothes tomorrow. That's my excuse - I guess I could have ridden in shorts???

I did see a few bikes at lunch time, so maybe some ppl are riding today for RTW day.

Randy
post #24 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 4:28 pm

I did my part...

The wife and I rode the twisties to Tellico Plains.

Having to work daily, must suck?

I guess someone has to do it.
I have to work Thursday and Friday this week.
In Florida of all places.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #25 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 8:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I did the usual ride-to-work thing today. It's subjective, but I noticed no difference in the number of bikes on the road today in central Ohio.

At the office it was the usual crowd: me, a guy on a really nice Gold Wing, and somebody on an old Ninja. There is no designated parking for bikes, so we take up big, fat car spaces. The bigger the company, the more bureaucracy. Last year they promised to 'do something special' for Ride to Work Day next year. This year... nothing.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #26 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:11 pm

Smile Re: This is sad...

I was going to ride to work today,but I forgot I"am retired.So I just rode to the cost and back.Fried oysters and shrimp at LULU'S Makes for a great rest stop.before hitting the beach..
post #27 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

snip>> was going to ride to work today,but I forgot I"am retired<<

Ya.. besides Work is a four letter word ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #28 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:37 pm

I rode to work today. My street is always busy with HD's. Republic Harley Davidson is just a few blocks west of my office and they cut through on my street a lot. I usually look up when I hear them. Numbers have been up the past few months.

Went to the bank and then home for lunch. While in the house a Texas size thunderstorm blew in, so I took the truck back to work. Typical Houston storm where it drops faster than the storm sewers can drain it. Our streets are built lower than the surrounding property so that they can act as canals when it rains.

Ride 'em if you got 'em.
post #29 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:39 pm

My favorite statement to cell phone addicts:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45609493v1_240x240_Front.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	18724  
post #30 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 10:43 pm

Quote:

Really sad indeed, over 30 motorcycle spaces at my institution and one bike here today (mine). I did not see a single bike in the street today! It appears that these two wheelers are really just "butt jewelry" to most of the people who own them. Sadly even BMW riders seem to have adopted the poseur idea of late.
I'm not exactly as proud to be a rider today , as I was when Andy started this tradition back about 1992?
post #31 of 46 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 11:29 pm

Our company has increased our moto parking several times this year to respond to increased demand. It's hard to find a spot if you get there too early (before third shift leaves) or too late when all the office folks fill up the spots.

There are a lot of new riders these days, don't blame them for backing off if the weather is threatening. Better they do that than try to push it before they are ready. Summer rain is the worst. Here in sunny so cal, the little rain shower in the middle of summer will lay you flat fast unless there is a real downpour that can clean the streets.

My first rain training was on the way home from a tech session and I had to do a few weekends of wet weather, light traffic riding before I was comfortable on my commute.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #32 of 46 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:24 am

Quote:
Ride to Work Day, and one other bike in the parking lot (rat Ninja250 ridden by a guy downstairs).
I didn't see an appreciable increase in bikes at work either. In honor of ride to work though me and a couple of coworkers rode up to Alice's for lunch. There weren't a ton of bikes there either, but more than is typical for a week day.

What there were a lot of out today is motorcycle cops. There was a group of 8 or so CHP BMWs out on a training ride at Alice's, a Sheriff waiting along 9, another 3 CHP on duty on 85, and another solo CHP motorcycle. So that's 13 motorcycle cops that crossed our path on a lunch time ride!
post #33 of 46 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Ior better yet, a paintball Uzi.
They do make a paintball gatling gun. http://hight3ch.com/post/paintball-gatling-gun/
post #34 of 46 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 1:36 am

107F today, only 3 people rode. 72 empty cycle spots...
post #35 of 46 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:26 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
This is sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGILLS2
Well as soon as I get a job, I will ride to work!!!!!
+1! When I grow up, I'm gonna get a (real) job also....

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #36 of 46 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:23 am

Someone was talking about a heel toe shifter. Here is one for sale on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...071046676&rd=1

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.
post #37 of 46 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:36 am

Rode an hour and a half to one meeting yesterday morning and an hour to another meeting. All I saw were Harley's out. NOT A SINGLE BMW, I ride to work daily too. However when I stopped everyone said, nice bike, haven't seen on like that before, trying to save fuel?...... I just..... yeah

R1200GSA

K1200LTC
Tony Quick
Sanford, NC
post #38 of 46 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 9:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: This is sad...

I rode to work yesterday, as I do daily.
Last year at this time I was unemployed... so I just rode.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #39 of 46 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:42 pm

Garage

Had 100% participation were I work ...all 6 of us rode to work & it was in the 90's..temp & humidity.

~ron~
"00 K1200LTC
"99 R1200C
"?? Indian Scout
"02 Uni-Go

"If you always tell the truth, you never have to remember anything"
post #40 of 46 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 8:25 am

I've ridden the last two days. Yayyy. I still missed the RTW day.

Only one other guy here rides that works in shop. Haven't seen his bike in a looong time. It's usually reserved for bar hops on weekends.

There are several road guys that ride, but they are out on the road.

The scooteristi are alive and well. I did see one the other day traveling 40 mph oina 45 on a scooter with no plate (supposed to be limited to 28mph) and a rear wheel wobble that had be a butt clincher. Or maybe it just added to the mystique, not sure.... scary-looking to me.

Randy
post #41 of 46 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:12 am

Quote:
I was in a cast for a year and half. Duck taped a steel plate on the cast to shift and bungeed the crutches to the handlebar (Harley). You should have seen the doctor's face when I went in for my first appointment after getting out of the horsepistol.
Howdy, Grif. For some unknown reason, I truly can see you doin' that. You be the man! The rub on this onion is being a boot cast, there is no structural strength resisting downward pressure to my toes and pressing up on the shifter would not do the sutures and knitting bone any good. I suppose I should stay off the scooter until healed to help to remember not to do stupid stuff like that again. Still really jonesing though.

Hobbling Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #42 of 46 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky_k1200lt
Anyone got a heel-toe shifter to loan to Karl?

Saw about a dozen bikes out this morning, with about half who looked like they were heading to work. Of the others, two rode into residential areas, one had a large seat-bag with sleeping bag on top, and three couples, looking like they took the day off to ride as a group. Pretty much the same volume and mix as I've seen for the past few weeks.

Don't remember last time I left the bike home....6 or 8 weeks ago, I think.
Hi, Sparky. That would be an idea, heel-toe shifter, but I can't get the riding boot on over the boot-cast. Believe me I've tried. Not going to ride without protection on that leg and foot. Thanks for the idea.

Hobbling Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #43 of 46 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I just went downstairs and looked in the parking garage (10:30 AM). There are no new bikes, just the "regulars".
And just how paranoid would you have been if there would have been a couple of new bikes?????

Hobbling Karl

--Ken & Gene Hunt
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
Northern Colorado
post #44 of 46 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Not going to ride without protection on that leg and foot.
Isn't that what the cast is for? You could duct-tape a slider puck to the ankle area for extra protection...
post #45 of 46 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 5:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
And just how paranoid would you have been if there would have been a couple of new bikes?????

Hobbling Karl
Hey Karl,

Are you picking on me? Everybody is picking on me!!

I meant that the people who ride every day were there, but there were no new "ride to work day" riders. Besides, I needed a break - might as well join all the women who seem to spend their entire mornings doing fast-walk laps around the garage.

(P.S. I hope your leg is feeling better soon. I was concerned when you left OC with that heat wave on the way...)
post #46 of 46 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Quote:

Say, nice bike Dave! Great color too!

I didn't ride because Kathy and I carpool M-W. We take her Nissan. At 32 mpg, that's like 64 mpg if we went separately. Anyway I rode the Tiger the following day.

Grif, I am seeing more and more bikes. The commuting percentage isn't large yet. Bike spotting is one of the activities we engage in at Starbucks on Fridays. Seems I see more than usual.

And lots more people are talking about getting them. The fewer 1-ton trucks, soccer mom SUVs and 145-foot windmill blades on the road the better. Oops, I don't guess the blade truckers will want bikes....

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in