July 16 RTW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

July 16 RTW

sorry if this was previously posted, I did a search and didn't find anything.

This coming Wednesday July 16 is Ride-to-Work Day.

www.ridetowork.org

Many of you may already ride to work on a regular basis.
Encourage all your co-workers with motorcycles/scooters to ride in that day as well.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 8:59 pm

Re: July 16 RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukey33
Encourage all your co-workers with motorcycles/scooters to ride in that day as well.[/SIZE]
NO! There is little enough M/C parking as it is and I have a hard enough time finding a "spot" to park. They won't let us park in a "car" spot.
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: July 16 RTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morley
NO! There is little enough M/C parking as it is and I have a hard enough time finding a "spot" to park. They won't let us park in a "car" spot.
I don't know who "they" are, or your specific situation, but what bad thing happens if you park your motorcycle in a car spot?

When our company moved to a new building, there was a "designated" motorcycle parking spot. It was isolated in the far corner of the garage, next to a giant blower that was spewing grimy dust, and a large opening where the rain and wind debris would blow in. Naturally, I parked in a convenient, safer, better car spot.

About nine months later, the building maintenance engineer came to me to say that one (or more?) car owners had complained about the motorcycle taking one of the car spots. I was calm and courteous, but I made it clear that I had the same right to a parking spot as any other driver. I told him that without storage, such a trunk or back seat, I have more gear to carry in and out each day - why should I be banished to the outer limits? I pointed out that nobody had ever bothered to enforce the Yukons, Expeditions, and F350s that park in the "compact" spaces.

In simple terms, I told him that I wouldn't allow him to take away my equal right to a parking place and that he could arrange to have my bike towed if he insisted on enforcing that arbitrary and unfair restriction. The act of exposing his unspoken, ultimate threat, and the resulting look of shock on his face was priceless. I had called his bluff, and that was that. Nothing ever happened. I still park in the same place.

Over the last few years, many people have come up to me to ask questions about motorcycling or to admire my bikes. Nobody ever complained about where I park, at least not to my face, nor has anyone vandalized my bikes. The building engineer and I are on very good terms, too.

I hope everyone rides to work on Wednesday. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday look like pretty good days to ride to work, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in