Traveling to Germany and Switzerland - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 8:12 pm Thread Starter

Traveling to Germany and Switzerland

I am going visit in-laws in germany, leaving on July 25th. I will be renting a bike from a BMW dealer in Sankt Wendel in germany which is in the Saarland area not far from Neuenkirchen for a few days. I want to take a trip down thru the Black Forest and down into the Alps in Switzerland. I have been looking at maps and google earth but have no idea where to go in Switzerland. Money is going to be tight because the almighty dollar ain't worth a shit. Any guidance on places to go, cheap places to stay while I am there. I will be traveling solo so it does not have to be a fancy place to stay.
I am hoping to rent a 1200 GS but may end up on a 800GS or RT. See what they have. I have rented a K1200RS in 2000 from them before and went to Austria. They were very accomadating with helmet and such. I would Like to take my Aerostich but it doesn't pack very well. Will probably take some long johns and a leather jacket and of course my frogg toggs. Like I said any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks all

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 6:25 am

Re: Traveling to Germany and Switzerland

Marc,

I can highly recommend these 3 hotels in Germany, the last one being more biker orientated, depending of course where you will be.

www.palmspring.de/
www.hotel-sturm.com/daten/motorradfahren.php
www.hotelzurpost-klotten.de

Switzerland is small so you can get to most places pretty quickly. Lucerne is worth a visit, Geneva not really as far as I am concerned. The whole country is outstandingly beautiful, clean and well organised, and where it say´s max speed 100 kph, they mean it !.

This should be of help www.motor-bike-hotels.com/english/index.htm

You will have a fantastic trip, $ permitting.

Simon
post #3 of 30 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 12:58 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Traveling to Germany and Switzerland

http://www.motor-bike-hotels.com/eng...ex_schwarz.htm

http://www.bikerbetten.de/cms/

http://www.tourenfahrer-hotels.de/

These are just some of the great biker friendly hotel sites we use.

#1 on Klotten. Bettina was really nice and the setting is fantastic.
Starting out from the Hotel and a few minuets later along side the Mossel River
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	River views early morning.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	18705   Click image for larger version

Name:	A new day dawns.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	18706  

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Last edited by Hilton; Jul 13th, 2008 at 1:09 pm.

post #4 of 30 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the links I will definetly be checking these out this evening.

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #5 of 30 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 2:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

My wife and I spent 3 weeks running around the Alps a few years back. We didn't use a tour operator and never had any trouble finding decent accommodations and great food.

Be sure to pick up a copy of Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps & Corsica by John Hermann. It is a fabulous resource for motorcyclists, and you can really build up the excitement level by doing some pre-planning in the evenings before your trip.

And take lots of pics so you can share on your return.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 30 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:03 am

Hilton,

Travel consultant ?. That´s what I want to be when I grow up. Does it go on expenses ?.

I am sometimes wary of small hotels, which are really glorified chalets, that advertise themselves as being biker friendly, as sometimes the prices charged have no relation to the services given, whereas bigger places tend to offer more for the same, or even less, money.

I suppose it all depends on the enviroment that one is comfortable in. Me, I prefer a bit of luxury after a hard day in the saddle.

Simon
post #7 of 30 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:30 am

Meese,

Have put the book on my wish list, especially after I have read that it includes the Pyrenees and Picos de Europa.

Thanks,

Simon
post #8 of 30 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 6:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
I want to take a trip down thru the Black Forest and down into the Alps in Switzerland. I have been looking at maps and google earth but have no idea where to go in Switzerland. Any guidance on places to go, cheap places to stay while I am there.
Check the first two posts in the Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right thread.

There you'll find links to lists of motorcycle friendly accomodations as well as maps.

Since money is tight, in the second post, there is a link to the ADAC Motorradtouren maps that you can download FREE. They provide tour suggestions. Good maps and the ADAC Motorradtouren maps are all you really need to plan your routes.

Be prepared for €1.50 (about US$9 per US gallon) per liter gas prices. Last month, I paid as high as €1.709 per liter for the high test.
post #9 of 30 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 7:44 am

Good thread.

This $ to € exchange rate plus the high gas prices must be a real bummer for visitors from the other side of the Atlantic.

The way I look at it is a) at least there is gas available and b) I´m not getting any younger.
post #10 of 30 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
This $ to € exchange rate plus the high gas prices must be a real bummer for visitors from the other side of the Atlantic.
In 4 weeks of touring Europe and the Alps, I spent €636.36 in fuel (just over CA$1000). One fill-up on my GS Adventure on my charge card ran me CA$76.80. Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
The way I look at it is a) at least there is gas available and b) I´m not getting any younger.
Exactly. When on vacation, I don't worry about those details. The fact that I'm not on an "organized" tour by itself already saves me thousands of dollars on a 10 -14 day tour; double or triple those savings for my 4 week tour.
post #11 of 30 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 12:23 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Traveling to Germany and Switzerland

" Hilton,

Travel consultant ?. That´s what I want to be when I grow up. Does it go on expenses ?. "

Hi Simon,
No not really. Long story short, it's just easier than the inevitable
" But your too young to be retired "

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Last edited by Hilton; Jul 14th, 2008 at 12:35 pm.
post #12 of 30 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 1:13 pm

Which is normally always said by people who wish they could be, but can´t.

As someone who isn´t a travel consultant ( yet ), I hope your consultancy takes you far and wide for many years to come.
post #13 of 30 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 1:11 pm

I apologize that I have just seen this. I travel to Switzerland at least 4-6 times per year. I have not ridden while there, yet. I have many clients who I visit, and most of them ride. I would HIGHLY recommend the area in and around Montreux.

My wife and I have traveled all over the world, and Montreux is our favorite. It is on the banks of Lake Geneva (Lac Leman in French) it sits in a valley with the French alps and the city of Evian on one side and the Swiss alps on the other.

The ride from Montreux to Gruyeres de Molsson is less than an hour in some of the most incredible scenery you will ever experience on this Earth. This is where the Gruyeres cheese was first made. There is a castle in the main town, with a fully restored village surrounding it. The castle is a must see and you can stop in any one of the cafes and have a cheese fondue that is absolutely marvelous. For a single person the fondue with a drink will set you back 10-15 Euro, worth every penny and one of the real bargains for the area.

The ride from Montreux to Aosta Italy is a mountain run that, in my opinion, has no equal. It will take you about two and a half hours, one way and there is amazing food all along the city center and piazza (central plaza).

Montreux to Leysin is a ride through the high mountains that also is without equal. While less than an hour from Montreux, it is breathtakingly beautiful. Your only problem with riding it will be your desire to stop constantly to take pictures.

Please e-mail me if you have ANY questions. I think this would be a trip to remember for a lifetime.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CIMG0010.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	18771   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	18772   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0054.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	18773   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0076.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	18774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	18775  

Name:	CIMG0136.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	18776   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0139.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	18777   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0158.JPG
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	18778   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0185.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	18779   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0201.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	18780  

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #14 of 30 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 2:32 pm

This place is near to Montreaux, which John mentions above.

http://www.villars.ch/en/welcome.cfm
post #15 of 30 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 4:35 pm

If you're concerned about how well your 'stitch will pack, ship it to your first hotel, use it while there, and then ship it back home when you're done. If you use economy shipping, it won't be that terrible, and you'll thank yourself later when you have the gear that A) keeps you safe, and B) is most comfortable to your body.

Also, don't underestimate the extremes of weather you'll encounter in a European summer. The first time I went over, it was May, and I had to have a "real" jacket shipped to meet me later in my trip. I was still chilly most places I was going, and I couldn't afford to buy a quality local jacket. That was just backpacking...would've been much worse if I'd been riding a motorcycle at 65+ mph everywhere.
post #16 of 30 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 4:42 pm

and where it say´s max speed 100 kph, they mean it !.

This is soooooooo true! On one of my trips I returned home to receive a total of seven speeding tickets, all from well-placed cameras in Switzerland. When it says 100kmh, especially on tunnel entrances or exits, they mean it.

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #17 of 30 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 9:44 am

Oh,
and by the way, ticket prices(ie the ones you get for speeding) went up in alot of countries this year(I think EU thing). Plus Germany, which actually had the cheapest ticket prices, is now in line with the other EU countries; sooooo
remember the following:
Normally, 100 KM/h on highways
50 KM/h in cities and towns(when you go into every town there will be a sign with its name on it, when you leave it will have the name and a diagonal line through it)
German autobahn: 120-130 in many places now, unless it gives you the black and white lollipop with line through it, which means fun time!!

If you get a ticket, it will probably be by camera, so watch it.

Watch the speed in construction zones, they will crush you on this one.

Dont drink and drive, you will not be happy with the Polizei giving you a blood test on the spot, and 1 German Beer will put you over the limit!!!!!! Try a Radler(essentially Sprite and Beer-I have almost gotten used to it). They will really really really crush you on this one. Have the beers after you settle in for the night!!

You are arriving at the busiest time of year on roads here, ie most Europeans take vacation from late July-mid Sept. Be prepared for a Stau(traffic jams).

Take the Landstrasses(basically the old main routes before the autobahns where built), they are fast, good roads, and no Staus!! They will be much prettier too.

If you are over in Bavaria, give me a call, 09641-454-2020 work
0160-9105-3358 cell, email: [email protected]
Maybe I can show you the Oberpfalz!!
post #18 of 30 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Looks like I am a go and am getting real excited. I have been using google earth and checking out some of the routes and OH YEA I am excited.
Again thanks to everyone for their help

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #19 of 30 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:37 am

If you get the chance, the road to Gotthard pass (through Andermatt) is incredible! From the pass, you can look down into Italy. Incredible views, and a great bike route.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #20 of 30 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Be sure to pick up a copy of Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps & Corsica by John Hermann. It is a fabulous resource for motorcyclists, and you can really build up the excitement level by doing some pre-planning in the evenings before your trip.
I met Hermann in the Alps. I told him that I had his book. He said, "Yea, sure. That's what everone says." Then he turned around and walked off. What a jerk. But his book is very informative.

mpillis, when I was stationed in Germany I visited the BMW dealer in Sankt Wendel many times. I didn't know that they rented bikes. Have a great time on your trip!!

2012 BMW R1200RT
2010 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE
post #21 of 30 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSJak
Dont drink and drive, you will not be happy with the Polizei giving you a blood test on the spot, and 1 German Beer will put you over the limit!!!!!! Try a Radler(essentially Sprite and Beer-I have almost gotten used to it). They will really really really crush you on this one. Have the beers after you settle in for the night!!
Or you can drink the alcohol-free beer. Good taste. No buzz.

2012 BMW R1200RT
2010 TRIUMPH BONNEVILLE
post #22 of 30 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 1:32 am

If you get over to Munich, head down to Garmisch(kinda touristy) then on past to Mittenwald, Lermoos, Erhwald and back to Garmisch. This is the test ride loop they ride for the BMW Bikers Days in July. Man it is just unbelievable to ride down there. I head for the Alps as often as possible!!
post #23 of 30 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 1:38 am

Marc,
I just saw you are in Union Ky, I am from Louisville, my sister lives up in Cinci, she is an IT Mngr there, used to work for Siemens up there. Man, definately shoot me an email or give me a call when you get over here, I would love to show you the sites if I have some time. When do you get here? I assume you fly into FRA? Good to see a fellow Ky-ian on a BMW!! I have some shots of our travels in Europe and Motorcycle stuff on our Smugmug site:
www.smugmug.com
type "jackundcara" in the search window
post #24 of 30 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 4:04 am Thread Starter

A local Kentuckian, small world. I am arriving in Fra on July 26th and leaving on the 8/9. I just called the renal company and I may not be able to get a GS and it is expensive. I will be staying with my in-laws in Oberkirchen not far from Sankt Wendel.

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #25 of 30 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
If you get the chance, the road to Gotthard pass (through Andermatt) is incredible!
Just make sure you take the "old" road that is cobblestoned. The other two possibilities are boring.
post #26 of 30 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer
I met Hermann in the Alps. I told him that I had his book. He said, "Yea, sure. That's what everone says." Then he turned around and walked off. What a jerk. But his book is very informative.
I met John on the Ofenpass in 2002. He was there with three of his riding buddies from the US, pictured alongside/behind him. Actually, he approached me as he saw a rider in a red Aerostich suit, asking me where I was from.

I have his first two books, but I've never used them for any planning. I found good maps took me to more interesting roads since I am a back roads - off the beaten path rider to the extreme. All I do is check off where I've been in his books.

post #27 of 30 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 2:09 am

Marc,
Try these guys, they arent far from where you will be, probably only a 30min drive tops. At least go down there and get a tshirt and a coffee. I lived in "Ktown", as we americans call it, for 2 years.

http://www.bmw-motorrad-kl.de/

Although, I believe all BMW dealers that rent bikes use the same pricing, but may be worth an email to the guy below:

There is a tab at top for English, the guy to speak to is Uwe (pronounced U-vee) he is the "man" at Kaiserslautern. Good guy. They are now a US spec dealer also. He speaks english too.

Call me if you get the time when you get here:
09641-454-2020
Jack

Last edited by GSJak; Jul 23rd, 2008 at 2:15 am.
post #28 of 30 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 6:12 am Thread Starter

I remember k-town and 20 mark strasse. LOL. Probably 20 euro strasse now. Thanks for the info. I notice it is cheaper but they limit you to 1500 km per week. I will chew up 1500km in 3 days. The site does not say how much it costs if you go over 1500km. But I will be calling them tomorrow morning. Thanks for the info.

Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650

Last edited by mpillis; Jul 23rd, 2008 at 6:54 am. Reason: addition
post #29 of 30 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis
I notice it is cheaper but they limit you to 1500 km per week.
Try Allround Vermietung in Frankfurt. They have very good weekly rates for current model motorcycles (the 2nd and subsequent weeks are even cheaper) which includes 2500 kms per week which is about all you need if you ride the Alps.

Knopf Motorradreisen in Heidelberg offers the cheapest rates, unlimited mileage as well as airport pick-up and a B&B.
post #30 of 30 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSJak
Speak to is Uwe (pronounced U-vee)...
Actually pronouned ooh-veh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in