I Took Your Advise! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

I Took Your Advise!

After you guys hammered the Honda ST 1300 so bad - I started looking around and ended up with the Can-am Spyder. It's powered with almost the same Rotax engine as is used in the Harley Buell, and a number of Aprilia bikes. Rotax also builds a number of engines for BMW as well. I now have around 300 miles on it and it's a blast to drive and pretty quick as well.

The best thing it's still 5 grand less than the 1200LT ($16,500)

For more info: http://spyder.brp.com/

For those of you who never seen a Spyder I have included some images below - Enjoy!

Last edited by IdleUp; Jul 11th, 2008 at 8:47 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up Re: I Took You Advise!

Wow! That is a very nice second bike!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:35 pm

Re: I Took You Advise!

But how do you steer that trike with the handle bars in the back?

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 36 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:37 pm

Looks like great fun. Congratulations. I have a friend who has ordered one of the new semi-automatic transmissions. Delivery is not until November which is a bummer living in the Colorado Mountains as she does. She wanted the semi-automatic because after trying one she thought the clutch reach was a bit much for her hand size. Do you know anything about the new semi-automatic model?
post #5 of 36 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 6:46 pm

Gonna be hard to split lanes with that.

I'll keep my LT Thank You!

B D R
post #6 of 36 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Looks like great fun. Congratulations. I have a friend who has ordered one of the new semi-automatic transmissions. Delivery is not until November which is a bummer living in the Colorado Mountains as she does. She wanted the semi-automatic because after trying one she thought the clutch reach was a bit much for her hand size. Do you know anything about the new semi-automatic model?
My dealer had one and he really liked it, you just shift it into 1st and as you add throttle the clutch engages smoothly, then you just use the paddles on the bar to shift up or down. Another nice feature is as you slow to a stop it automatically goes back to 1st. There's a good video in the spyder site just click on the SE5 link.

As I mentioned,, I really like it - maybe because it's so different. It rides twice as smooth as a Goldwing the suspension is unbelievable. The Bike also has 4 computers; ABS, traction control, stability control, the main Computer looks at yaw and bank accelerometers and controls the engine speed, brakes etc., to help prevent wheel lift. It also has speed controlled power steering that makes it tough to oversteer at high speeds. The control is unbelievable, you can do an instant lane change in just seconds should something or somebody end up in the road. The best part is the braking - three massive tires grab the road.

It's different, in most cases it takes 30-50 miles of playing with it to get in the groove but after that it's all fun.

Thanks
post #7 of 36 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Hope you have better luck than my wife. She got in the 1st part of Feb. So far in 6500mi it's spent 7 weeks at the dealer being repaired. Rings not seating rebuilt top end, oil leaks, computer problems, brakes squealing (you think the rear brake on an LT is loud), Parking braking sticking,high idling,and won't start some times. It's great handling bike and fast but it's reliability leaves something to be desired. They used the excuse that it's a new motor and they have trouble getting parts. I told them the motor has been in Aprilia Touono for last few years try an Aprilia dealer.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...holy $hit...what a ride"-Mavis Leyrer
Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Stienbeck
08 CanAm Spyder "Fast Truck"(Wifes')
08 Kawasaki KLR 650 "Lil Dirt Truck"
05 K1200Lt "Lt Truck"
05 Piaggio X9 Reveloution "Lil Truck"

97 International 4700 "Big Truck"

AMA Life Member
BMWMOA

post #8 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 4:26 am

Sorry, I thought it was a new vacuum cleaner by Dyson.

Jealousy rules. OK
post #9 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 4:44 am

You didn't take my advise...............

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #10 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey
Hope you have better luck than my wife. She got in the 1st part of Feb. So far in 6500mi it's spent 7 weeks at the dealer being repaired. Rings not seating rebuilt top end, oil leaks, computer problems, brakes squealing (you think the rear brake on an LT is loud), Parking braking sticking,high idling,and won't start some times. It's great handling bike and fast but it's reliability leaves something to be desired. They used the excuse that it's a new motor and they have trouble getting parts. I told them the motor has been in Aprilia Touono for last few years try an Aprilia dealer.
You must be unlucky - on the Spyder forum nobody (except you of course) is having any problems other than squekey brakes which is common with most all bikes. Try not standing on the emergency brake - the system works with a cable and won't hold a 250-300 lbs of force.
post #11 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 8:59 am

No offense,enjoy...I'll take the ST......
post #12 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 10:28 am

Nice.
I'd like to ride one some day. But not until I can afford to buy one. I learned that lesson a few years ago......
post #13 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Personally, I'll stick to two wheels. I think any think with more than 2 wheels (unless it is a side car and even then I have reservations) is not a motorcycle. A tricycle maybe. Even an automobile. Bur most definitely not a motorcycle.

No three wheel vehicle rides quite the same as a two wheel vehicle. Just doesn't work for me, but I'm glad you are happy with it.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #14 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 8:00 pm

Have fun with it. I took a test ride on one and really liked it.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #15 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

They are great bikes - It's a nice change for a second bike, it puts adifferent spin on things and keeps the interest up!

Thanks
post #16 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 11:56 pm

The Spyder is an interesting ride, but I'll stay on two wheels.

I took a 45 minute demo ride through city, suburban and rural areas ten days ago. I didn't enjoy the Spyder because:

1. It doesn't lean like a motorcycle, and actually wants to throw the rider during sharp or higher speed corners.

2. The seating position cannot be changed, and becomes painful after a short time.

3. The wind blast above 50 mph is a nuisance.

4. The steering is darty - too much camber perhaps.

5. The ride is very bad over uneven road surfaces such as a highway with worn-in wheel lanes and hump in the middle of the lane. The Spyder wants to nibble back and forth rather than tracking a straight course.

6. Engine vibes contribute to numb feet and hands after about 10 minutes.

7. It's tiring to ride. I can't imagine doing more than 200 mile days without being exhausted.

My opinion, your mileage may vary.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #17 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 11:59 pm

Great rig...very different but fun to ride.

I test drove one a year+ ago when they came through looking for feedback. There are a number of great improvements in the production version. I found that at slow speeds without computer assist, one could easily sling off a passenger and could almost lose control due to G forces in a turn. Similar to a snowmobile, there's no lean in a turn, and because you sit on top of the machine, there is nothing to brace oneself against...unlike the bucket seats of a sports car.

Other than that, the biggest problem I had was finding the kickstand when I came to a stop!

One fun bonus; you can probably do a buck in reverse! What a kick. Hope you enjoy it forever.

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10
post #18 of 36 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 1:18 am

Dude enjoy...maybe they will let you take on the golf course too! Its a three wheeled snowmobile. Definately not a motorcycle. poser.
post #19 of 36 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I test rode one and found out quick that you don't countersteer like a bike. Definitely will cause a bit of adrenaline pucker if you forget. Nice machine but I'll stick with 2 wheels.

Tim Reed
02 Toscana Green "The Toad"
post #20 of 36 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 6:31 pm

Welcome to Spyderdom! A few of us here have 'em and love 'em. Great fun. Now the farkling begins - Heat Troller, intercom, cruise, fog lights, bars, windshields, . . . . . . .

Check out www.Spyderlovers.com, spydertalk.com - they're the best.

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #21 of 36 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Funny I just rode 400 miles on mine with no discomfort. I still have the stock windshield on it, and I don't get any buffeting. Like any new bike you have to put time on it. I have over 1000 miles with wind, rain, uneven lanes, and had no problems adapting. I absolutely love it.

Gail
Orlando Fl.
'04 Suzuki GS500F (F is for female) Sold!
'08 Can-Am Spyder (Araignée)

"If you want anything said ask a man, if you want anything done ask a woman." Margret Thatcher

Last edited by MotoGirl; Jul 13th, 2008 at 7:37 pm.
post #22 of 36 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn
Welcome to Spyderdom! A few of us here have 'em and love 'em. Great fun. Now the farkling begins - Heat Troller, intercom, cruise, fog lights, bars, windshields, . . . . . . .

Check out www.Spyderlovers.com, spydertalk.com - they're the best.
Exhaust, throttle meister, 12v power outlet, tail pack, tank bag, storage cover, bar risers. Jim am I missing anything else? I'm waiting to see if they come out with a double bubble windshield.

Gail
Orlando Fl.
'04 Suzuki GS500F (F is for female) Sold!
'08 Can-Am Spyder (Araignée)

"If you want anything said ask a man, if you want anything done ask a woman." Margret Thatcher

post #23 of 36 Old Jul 13th, 2008, 10:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
I can't imagine doing more than 200 mile days without being exhausted.
Doesn't look comfortable to me either, but Sharkey's WIFE did a SS1000 on her (actually went over 1,100) Can-Am.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #24 of 36 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGirl
Exhaust, throttle meister, 12v power outlet, tail pack, tank bag, storage cover, bar risers. Jim am I missing anything else? I'm waiting to see if they come out with a double bubble windshield.
Lessee - XM, cruise, driving lights (the ones on the fender strut), HIDs, turbo . . . Oh! You meant already ON yours :-D

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #25 of 36 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 4:06 pm

I parked next to one of these today at a Taco Bell. http://www.thoroughbred-motorsports.com/

The guy who owned it was all dressed up in HOG gear and proud as can be of his new 'motorcycle'.

I dunno. It has three wheels, a body and an engine from a Ford light truck. It also had a steering wheel (not handlebars) and a trunk. And taillights form a 3-series. BMW car. Seems to me like it's a car, and not a motorcycle.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but taking one wheel off of a car doesn't make it a motorcycle, in my opinion.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #26 of 36 Old Jul 14th, 2008, 8:44 pm

Re: I Took Your Advise!

Whatever floats your boat. Maybe when I get too old to ride a bike I may try a trike or a side car.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #27 of 36 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 7:13 am

Quote:
The guy who owned it was all dressed up in HOG gear and proud as can be of his new 'motorcycle'.

I dunno. It has three wheels, a body and an engine from a Ford light truck. It also had a steering wheel (not handlebars) and a trunk. And taillights form a 3-series. BMW car. Seems to me like it's a car, and not a motorcycle.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess, but taking one wheel off of a car doesn't make it a motorcycle, in my opinion.
Did the guy actually say it was a motorcycle? Or, are you putting words in his mouth? By definition a motorcycle has two wheels, and if he doesn't understand that he's got bigger problems than people judging him on his choice of ride.

I will say that I never got really comfortable on the Spyder until I rode it on three or four separate occasions and quit trying to ride it like a motorcycle. It is a different skill set and very foreign to us that learned on two wheels. It is a blast to ride, if you know how to ride it and not just operate it. The Can-Am rep I talked with said their marketing was never geared towards motorcyclists, but rather the thousands of ATV and snowmobile riders out there.

______

The Spyder is not a motorcycle, that's a fact. My question is ... So what? Does it really mean they're a poser like someone else responded in this thread? There's lots of reasons someone may choose to ride a bike with more than two wheels. It doesn't make their riding experience any less enjoyable, it enhances it. It makes them want to ride. It's not for everybody but again...So what?

The Spyder is getting people who would never dream of riding a motorcycle out of they're cars and "in the wind". They start to understand the things we deal with every time we ride, and they tell their friends about it. They also tell them all the things they love about riding. This is good for all of us.

It also allows people who were ready to give it up for whatever reason, the chance to continue to enjoy riding. There's more to it that scraped pegs and a lack of chickenstrips, but that gets lost on some people.

People who don't give my motorcycles a second glance go out of their way to look over the Spyder. Gail and I can't go anywhere without someone walking up and interrogating us about it. I hope more manufacturers come out with their version of the Spyder because more of these things on the road is good for riders of all types.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #28 of 36 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:18 am

Ditto what Dave just said. Who cares whether its called a motorcycle? My friend who just ordered one has many miles riding two up, does not beleive she could be a safe solo rider because she has two new titanium knees. So that makes her a poseur? What kind of logic is that? Its like arguing about whether golf is a sport. For that matter is racing a Formula I or superbike a sport? Who cares?
post #29 of 36 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Ditto what Dave just said. Who cares whether its called a motorcycle? My friend who just ordered one has many miles riding two up, does not beleive she could be a safe solo rider because she has two new titanium knees. So that makes her a poseur? What kind of logic is that? Its like arguing about whether golf is a sport. For that matter is racing a Formula I or superbike a sport? Who cares?
Golf isn't a Sport!!!!!!!!!!! Now I'm pissed!!!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #30 of 36 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 8:49 am

HTML Code:
Did the guy actually say it was a motorcycle?
Yep, that's what he called it.

It doesn't matter to me what people drive or ride. I'm interested in just about any kind of motor vehicle.

My original point was, and continues to be, that some of the newer machines like the Spyder aren't motorcycles. Whatever they are, they are cool, and there may not be a word that accurately defines them. Snomocycle? Pickuptrike? Beats me.

2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #31 of 36 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:04 am

Hey,

I was just stirring the pot guys! No offence intended really!
post #32 of 36 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 9:07 am

Quote:
...there may not be a word that accurately defines them. Snomocycle? Pickuptrike? Beats me.
Street-Doo...from the same people that brought you the Ski-doo, and the Sea-Doo.

To me, if you sit on it, it's a bike of some sort.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #33 of 36 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 1:48 pm

I see you are in Roanoke. That must have been you on RT501 in Boonsboro last weekend on the Can-Am. Cool looking machine!

Bruce Northrop

'99 BMW K1200 LT
'99 Triumph Sprint ST
'72 Norton 750 (resto in progress)
'69 Triumph TR6C (restored)
post #34 of 36 Old Jul 21st, 2008, 9:13 pm

If the rear drive holds up it will put it ahead of the LT and other BMWs.

Don Mitchell
Bellville,Texas
post #35 of 36 Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 7:05 pm

A guy near my place in South Carolina has one. He had to take a written exam and a road test at the MVA because SC, like several other states, now requires a special license endorsement for three wheeled vehicles like trikes and motorcycles with sidecars.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #36 of 36 Old Jul 24th, 2008, 8:19 am

What kind of gas mileage are you getting ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in