Honda ST1300 vs LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 3:38 pm Thread Starter

Honda ST1300 vs LT

I traveled to New England last week on business and had time to take a two day trip up the NH and ME coast. My son and I rented bikes from Eagle Rider in Manchester (very nice folks). He rented a 2008 Electraglide, I rented a 2007 Honda ST1300. I have to say I was VERY impressed with the Honda. It handles beautifully -- nimble, quick, responsive and relatively comfortable. Thought I might even sell my LT and buy one. But I got home yesterday and took Roxie for a ride -- bottom line, you just can't beat the comfort and handling. The LT does twisties like a champ and it is soooo comfortable compared to the ST. Sure, the parking lot speed handling is always an issue with the LT and it was nice to have that issue go away on the ST, but everything is a trade off and I decided I am unwilling to trade the comfort and all around peformance of the LT for the better slow speed handling of the ST. Still, if I were in the market for a sport tourning bike, the honda is a gem...and, of course, has a much larger dealer network. Go ride one. You'll be impressed.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 4:14 pm

Re: Honda ST1300 vs LT

Thank God, Allah or whatever savior or non savior people you believe in....or not (PC is a pain), that this isn't another Troll post. I love the Honda ST bikes but I thought this was going to be a I love the ST and the LT sucks post. Glad you decided to keep your old faithful, maybe you could have both, I know I would like to have another bike.

Jeremy
1999 Champagne
Bike #70151
post #3 of 40 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 4:20 pm

I agree, the ST is a fine bike. I would consider it as my second bike. For the price, it's the best sport touring bike around. I love that 7.7 gallon gas tank!

post #4 of 40 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:37 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

A couple had one down at the Gap when we were there, man he could ride that thing two up. We stopped to take pics and they came through and man they was cranking. Nice bike naked, and with bags.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #5 of 40 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 7:59 pm

The ST, you say? I think I'll have a look.

I am getting a bit tired of wrestling the LT at slow speeds (maybe I am just getting too old... ), but more importantly, I am getting tired of worrying about failures. I don't recall hearing much about Honda's final drives - or else - in the grapevine.

Just having enough having to plan for retreat from my often quite long rides. Barely made it back on the GS from Labrador two weeks ago.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #6 of 40 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 9:46 pm

I've been looking at the ST1300 for a while now for a second bike. I pulled the trigger on an '06 this past weekend. I flew to Florida and rode it back to NC, much of it in rain. So far I am very impressed with the ST and would recommend it to anyone looking for a sport-tourer, but I can't say that I would pick it over the LT.
post #7 of 40 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugbug
So far I am very impressed with the ST and would recommend it to anyone looking for a sport-tourer, but I can't say that I would pick it over the LT.
I know I wouldn't! But then again in this particular category it's a toss-up between the ST-1300 and R1200RT. I spent quite a bit of time trying to decide between the two before I bougt my RT & LT. What decided it for me was some information I read about the handling loaded up (potentially) and the fact that I couldn't find one at the local dealers. One finally came in a couple of months after I bought my BMWs.

Prior to my purchase I enquired about a test ride. The reply was basically "we don't do that". I don't know about you, but I would not consider a motorcycle without riding it first. So, the ST-1300 was dropped from my list pretty quick.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #8 of 40 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 7:00 am

I've owned all three. The STX is certainly nimble and is mechanically reliable, but the best sport-touring bike? Not in my book. That has to be the R1200RT by a long shot.

Kevin.
post #9 of 40 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 7:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
The ST, you say? I think I'll have a look.

I am getting a bit tired of wrestling the LT at slow speeds (maybe I am just getting too old... ), but more importantly, I am getting tired of worrying about failures. I don't recall hearing much about Honda's final drives - or else - in the grapevine.

Just having enough having to plan for retreat from my often quite long rides. Barely made it back on the GS from Labrador two weeks ago.

Cool....Send pics of that ST with knobbies on it Would love to see it

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #10 of 40 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 8:33 am

Having both as I do I agree that is the best way to go!
post #11 of 40 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highroamer
I've owned all three. The STX is certainly nimble and is mechanically reliable, but the best sport-touring bike? Not in my book. That has to be the R1200RT by a long shot.

Kevin.
I'm not doubting you may be right about this. I would love to ride an RT. It's on my list of bikes to try.
Here were my only complaints about the ST: 1. you get some engine heat which the LT never gives you. 2. no indicator of what gear you are in.

However it's a very nice looking bike and would really be a dream to own as a second bike.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #12 of 40 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 10:29 am

Having had an 07 St1300 I think the bike was great, had one major issue and it was the heat on the nads deal. With a Sargent seat and a couple of other "farkles" the bike was a great one except for the wife not being comfortable. Compared to the RT the ST had the better motor, they both handled about the same, both had great brakes. The RT had a noticeable buzz in the handlebars at 80 while the ST was turbine smoove.
post #13 of 40 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Garage

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I've heard alot of good things about Yamaha's FJR 1300. Why not include this bike in the discussion? Or is that like comparing the GT instead of the RT?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #14 of 40 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Garage

For that matter, don't forget Kawa's Concours

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #15 of 40 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 8:38 pm

Frankly, after owning a GT, I doubt that a Honda ST would impress me much at all A great bike, but not even in the same league.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #16 of 40 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 4:14 am

Yes, I think the Yamaha, and the Kawa, are more comparable to the GT but they both have major shortcomings as sport-touring bikes - they're a lot smaller and wouldn't really excel at swallowing rider, SO & luggage for a continental trip.

Kevin.
post #17 of 40 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Just for sh*ts and giggles, I've heard alot of good things about Yamaha's FJR 1300. Why not include this bike in the discussion? Or is that like comparing the GT instead of the RT?
A coworker of mine just bought the exact bike pictured. His came with the rear trunk, risers, sliders, corbin seat, and a bunch of other doodads. I've rode it a couple times and it's sure fun. Reminds me a lot of my old ZX-10 only with luggage attached. Riding it, I find I've become very attached to the radio and Jpegs on the LT - guess I've attained geezer status. We rode through some twisties in Southern IN over the weekend and he blows me away on the straightaways, but it's neck and neck in the twisties. His biggest complaint with it is the aforementioned nad-heater that's common on the ST as well.

I've liked the STs since they came out in the intial configuration, but the thing that sold me on the LT originally is the fact that my overstuffed work computer bag fit into the top box perfectly making it the perfect commuter vehicle, and that's exactly what it's been. Even with the added top case on my buddy's FJ, he can't do that and that takes it out of the running for me.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy
post #18 of 40 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019

I would think so but then again I'm a little bias.

But it's more like the FJR vs the GT vs the C14, the only comp for the LT is the GoldWing. Now the ST is more like the RT. IMHO - Ride what you like and like what you ride....
Now I just need to find a nice used GS..........

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #19 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 5:50 am

Here in the UK, many police forces went from using BMWs to the ST1100, it was that good. I got one new, over 10 years ago and still have it. A great bike.
When the ST1300 came out the police naturally bought it, then dumped it!!
They are now back on BMWs or the ST1100s (only forces without the budget to change are still on the 13)
The reason?
The ST1100 can do 130+ as steady as a rock. The ST1300 looses stability at 90!!
Maybe not a consideration for you slow coaches over the water, but I won't be getting one. I have ridden 2 up at 130+ with all the luggage pilled high and she could have done more easy.
Over here the ST1100 is badged as the "Pan European", however I use the Pan for UK trips and the K for my Euro trips. Pity really as the Pan can keep up with the traffic on the German motorways, the K gets left behind a bit. But the comfort of the K will always win after 2 days of riding.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #20 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 7:29 am

Ok don't know what the problem is with the Euro Pans but my ex 07 St1300 with the trunk and fully loaded was rock steady at 125mph, another guy in my club(ex ama am racer) with 2 up fully loaded at max speed has no problems. So don't know if Honda fixed it or there's just too much crap on the rear of a police bike.
post #21 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:46 pm

I'll admit - if I never ride 2 up, I'd have an ST1300 or an RT. They are both awesome bikes. I do like the RT better tho, just a better engine, but the 7.7 gallon tank on the ST makes me druel a little.
post #22 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Cool Re: Honda ST1300 vs LT

For those riders above 6'2" the ST1300 is a very small bike compared to the LT. It just wouldn't work well IMHO.

BMW MOA Member #144729
My Prevoius bikes:
post #23 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 3:40 pm

I'm 6'2 and there were moments i thought my legs would explode on long rides....As for the RT's engine better than an ST's!!!!Not....no torque to the side, ultra smooth, plenty of power, great gas mileage. Not knocking the RT but the ST wins this argument.
post #24 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 6:27 pm

Google "ST 1300 wobble/weave" then tell me what you think.

My trip to Canada was cut short three weeks ago when my friends ST 1300 went into a high speed wobble/weave in Idaho. He rode it as long as he could but it crashed on its right side throwing my friend violently to the pavement breaking his C1 vertebrae and crushing his right wrist. He's lucky to be alive and we all hope his wrist heals well. The C1 break is a stable fracture so he'll just wear a neck collar for a few weeks.

Honda refuses to admit that anything is wrong with the ST. Read the info on Google and the test in "Ride" magazine.

How many riders have to die before Honda wakes-up and does something?

Bruce Hodges
post #25 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
Sure, the parking lot speed handling is always an issue with the LT and it was nice to have that issue go away on the ST, but everything is a trade off and I decided I am unwilling to trade the comfort and all around peformance of the LT for the better slow speed handling of the ST. Still, if I were in the market for a sport tourning bike, the honda is a gem...and, of course, has a much larger dealer network. Go ride one. You'll be impressed.
I would just try to get better at parking lot manuvers. If you haven't already, check out "Ride Like A Pro" http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ .

The ST is a really cool bike, adjustable windshield, lightweight etc. In fact, I almost bought one. However, I would think in Fairfield, IA, it would cook your cajones off. I lived in Mt. Pleasant for 6 years and do NOT miss the climate there. Am coming down at the first of August for HS class reunion and am debating taking the car or the LT. Of course I'll take the LT, but I'm thinking of getting extra phase change packs for my vest.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #26 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 8:37 pm

Smile Re: Honda ST1300 vs LT

My brother sold his LT and picked up an 08 ST. His wife seldom took trips with him, so...

He loves it, no problems, great fuel mileage. It looked pretty stable and fast when it went by my flat out LT.

My wife is with me most times, so the LT is my bike. A great two up bike and still some sport to it.

Randal Tebeau
Blairsville, GA
CMA National Evangelist SE Region
BMWMOA, AMA, ABATE
2006 K1200LT
1996 F650
post #27 of 40 Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Well that's the problem with the ST-1300 and why I did not buy one. Some seem to work jsut fine. Some seem to have a high speed wobble that can get you killed. Honda refuses to publically admit there is an issue or determine what motorcycles, or riders, may be at risk.

I'd much rather deal with a known quantity 4% failure rate of the rear drive for example, than a total unknown. Hence I now own two BMWs and zero Hondas. Although, I've had several Hondas in the past. Just this time when I was looking for a sport tourer, Honda missed the sale.

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT (sold - sigh)
1996 Sinus (aka Cirrus) Blue Metallic R1100RT
post #28 of 40 Old Jul 11th, 2008, 1:02 am

Check out these articles on ppl getting crushed on the ST

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/6600897.stm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356203
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/show...t=43854&page=3

There are plenty of articles/posts about the wobbling of the ST1300! Scary! I'll stick to BMW!

For the final drive issues - it happens on all bikes. My VStar's final drive failed after an 800 mile trip. I dont know why so many ppl fuss about the BMW's final drive failing, it's not that common anyway.

I look at my LT and I just love it. It gives me so much plesure. My wife loves it, and we go places just to ride it.

I don't think u can really compare the ST to the LT, they're totally different. You can compare the goldwing to the LT, or the RT to the ST, or a 2008 Harley to a 1950 Harley, but you can't compare the LT to the ST!

My biggest complaint about the LT: Resale value! it stinks!
post #29 of 40 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 9:37 am

I have a 2005 LT. A couple of weeks ago I went and looked at the ST1300 and FJR. No ability to test drive the Honda. I did test drive the FJR and loved the handling and power. It was a 2008 for $12,500.00.But when I took a close look at the fit and finish, BMW was leagues ahead. Plus the FJR had no heated grips, seats, or cruise control or extra plug ins. When you start adding it up, you are close to an RT or used LT.

After the test ride I climbed back on the LT and realized that this was the bike for me--beautiful paint, lots of extras and you know the rest.
post #30 of 40 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Thumbs down Re: Honda ST1300 vs LT

Keep the ST it is capable of third degree Burns !

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #31 of 40 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Last year, when my wife started riding with me, I sold my '91 ST1100 with 97,000 miles on it and bought a 2000 LT. We have both really fallen in love with this bike. I never considered the ST1300 because it didn't have cruise control. A couple years ago I went to a BMW rally in Picton, Ontario and got a chance to ride an LT, I got hooked. I hear people say that a LT is too heavy. I don't believe it. I'm 5'7" and weigh 175 lbs and my wife is just a little bigger than me (let's just leave it at that) and love everything about this bike.
post #32 of 40 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 4:07 am

My biggest complaint about the LT: Resale value! it stinks!

It does stink on ice for some. The low resale is what creates the phenomenal value that allows a few of us "common working stiffs" to ride a bike that, if new, would be WAY beyond our ability to afford.

I bought my L T. Last week and it turned 8000 miles on my cross state trip. A new bike with the Hannigan sidecar like on my new ride would have been nearly $35,000 US. I paid less than $12,000.

Sorry you guys who buy the new ones but guys like myself thank you everyday we are able to climb on one, fire the engine, set the requisite ear to ear grin and ride away!

I was able to sell some stock and pay for the bike outright. My goalis to ride it and love it until the wheels fall off from too many miles..

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #33 of 40 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 10:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
I traveled to New England last week on business and had time to take a two day trip up the NH and ME coast. My son and I rented bikes from Eagle Rider in Manchester (very nice folks). He rented a 2008 Electraglide, I rented a 2007 Honda ST1300. I have to say I was VERY impressed with the Honda. It handles beautifully -- nimble, quick, responsive and relatively comfortable. Thought I might even sell my LT and buy one. But I got home yesterday and took Roxie for a ride -- bottom line, you just can't beat the comfort and handling. The LT does twisties like a champ and it is soooo comfortable compared to the ST. Sure, the parking lot speed handling is always an issue with the LT and it was nice to have that issue go away on the ST, but everything is a trade off and I decided I am unwilling to trade the comfort and all around peformance of the LT for the better slow speed handling of the ST. Still, if I were in the market for a sport tourning bike, the honda is a gem...and, of course, has a much larger dealer network. Go ride one. You'll be impressed.
You're absolutely right on all comparisons between the ST and LT. I'm just back from a K1200 LT ride from New Haven, CT to Chicago, approximately 2000 miles after avoiding some unanticipated snow. Before leaving, I put my 07' Honda VTX 1300R up for sale at Libby's Motoworld in New Haven (great dealer). Great news! I traded it for a '05 ST 1300 (red in color). What a bike. But the LT is the dream machine. Both are nimble, but I can't imagine the ST on a 2000 mile trek without modification to the seat for more comfort. With the windshield up on the LT, the jet stream of noise rushing past your head just disappears. The noise level under the same conditions on the ST is considerable (needs a windshield other than the stock one).
At any rate, the answer to the dilemma of LT or ST is to own both. I simply decided to not invest as much in cars anymore. The kids are adults and the wife has a car. They are like 4 wheel, empty suitcases most of the time. Who needs it? I've taking to riding all year round and didn't miss a week this past winter.
All the best,
Robert
post #34 of 40 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 12:06 pm

I don't think that the Lt v. ST is a fair comparison, in that the LT is so much larger of a bike. The RT or the GT is a much better comparo, although I cannot see riding more than 300 or 400 miles without major mods-seat, handlebars and pegs. But there would be the beginnings of the perfect sport bike...

Ben Cohen
VA Tags BMW LT
2002 K1200LT in black and Chrome
post #35 of 40 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBeachLT
I don't think that the Lt v. ST is a fair comparison, in that the LT is so much larger of a bike. The RT or the GT is a much better comparo, although I cannot see riding more than 300 or 400 miles without major mods-seat, handlebars and pegs. But there would be the beginnings of the perfect sport bike...
Both the ST and the Leadwing have front end wobble that Honda will do nothing about. I had a 2006 Leadwing and the front end wobble scared the hell out of me. I took it to 2 different Honda dealers and both said "they all do that". The heat problem on the ST can be cured but you have to remove the tupperware and warp the header pipes with heat tape and put heat padding under the tupperware. Do not put anything in the glove box - it will melt, espically a cell phone. Don't ask me how I know LOL. I'll stick with my RT. It has everything that makes it the best sport touring bike on the road. The ST does not have cruise, heated seats or grips and many other options available to the RT.

08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
07 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
post #36 of 40 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 10:14 am

I had an ST1300. Nice bike, but it did wobble, and it is quite heavy. I've only ridden an LT once, but I'd pick the LT.
post #37 of 40 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 1:10 am

I second this. On the ST1300, it was too small for my 6'7" frame, the Viffer800 of Ron's I rode up and down Mt Palomar had more room.

A distance bike without cruise control like the ST1300 is unthinkable.

Ralph
Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #38 of 40 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
Here in the UK, many police forces went from using BMWs to the ST1100, it was that good. I got one new, over 10 years ago and still have it. A great bike.
When the ST1300 came out the police naturally bought it, then dumped it!!
They are now back on BMWs or the ST1100s (only forces without the budget to change are still on the 13)
The reason?
The ST1100 can do 130+ as steady as a rock. The ST1300 looses stability at 90!!
Maybe not a consideration for you slow coaches over the water, but I won't be getting one. I have ridden 2 up at 130+ with all the luggage pilled high and she could have done more easy.
Over here the ST1100 is badged as the "Pan European", however I use the Pan for UK trips and the K for my Euro trips. Pity really as the Pan can keep up with the traffic on the German motorways, the K gets left behind a bit. But the comfort of the K will always win after 2 days of riding.
+1

(Understand the original post concerned the ST1300. )

I have both the ST1100 and the LT. The ST is a very capable, reliable mount. Spouse and I have toured a bit with it in the east central states. Bit dated perhaps, but many owners don't care. No, it's no GT (past or present). But it's very nice. Very easy to hop on and ride.

It not an LT either. The ST(1100) is about 700 fully wet. About 100 HP. Carbs (the ST1300 is FI). Mine averages 45 - 48 MPG (taller windscreen). No heated grips, seat. No fan/engine heat issues either (unlike the ST1300 - I'm told). Hard bags detach. Can get a top box. No electric cruise (but could get an aftermarket one). No FD issues (but early ST's had alternator issues). The V-4 engine is very smooth. For a number of reasons (mentioned in this thread), I would not exchange it for the newer ST1300.

I ride the ST daily to put the everyday wear and tear miles on it rather than the LT. The ST doesn't care. It like the Energizer bunny - it just keeps on going and going. Tried to sell the ST but then figured out it was worth more (to me) to keep it than try to replace it (for now).

If I was to ride across America, the ST or LT would do it fine. More protection on the LT, sure. About same fuel mileage (the ST also holds more fuel). Comfort - the LT a little more for me, the LT a lot more for spouse - at least as they are currently set up. The spouse comfort was the deciding factor in getting a bigger bike (LT). More Honda dealers. My ST was $10,000 less in cost compared to the LT (also 10 years older!).

I really like the LT too. I say, if you like one bike more than another, then go for the one you like. I like them both and I'm fortunate to have both right now.

Jon

2011 R1200RT - not named yet

2005 K1200LT Blue - "Sapphire" - gone

1995 ST1100 Red - "Red Rider"

BMW MOA #139052
post #39 of 40 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 6:25 pm

I see a comaprison of 2 different, yet succesful bikes.

The LT is more Tourer...comfort and anything needed for long-distance riding.

The ST (I have the 1100) is way more 'sport' oriented.

Not that the LT can't handle twisties...it can.

It really depends on what you need as a rider.
post #40 of 40 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:03 pm

I bought a 07 ST when my 03 LT ABS pump was diagnosed as being defective. I was tired of being tied to the dealer for service along with the expense of the service. The lack of BMW dealers in the region also helped with the decision to buy an ST. Wife won't let me part with the LT though as that is the choice for two up riding, there is no comparison between two in that category. After riding the LT you definitely miss the cruise and heated grips when riding the ST. In the process of installing them on the ST. Both bikes handle the twisties well and I've not experienced the ST wobble as 100+ speeds are no longer a priority for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in