Sharing a thought about a Harley rider - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Sharing a thought about a Harley rider

I wad riding back from Chattanooga this afternoon when I pulled over on the side of the rode thinking I had left my wallet at a store where i had got gas a guy on a Harley RK stopped he thought I was having problems and offered to help I told him I was just checking the trunk to make sure my wallet was in there thankfully it was. Any we had about a 30 min. coversation about riding and complimented each other on our bikes he seemed like a really nice guy so I think he was more of a motorcyclist than a lot of Harley riders that I have been around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 8:47 pm

Re: Sharing a thought about a Harley rider

Funny thing is...
I have met quite a few in TN that I have had that same thought about, of coarse they were locals.
One was just this past Tuesday at the Cherohala Exxon...
We had a long chat, he told me of some good side roads that I regularly pass by.

However, the amount of A--Holes from outside of the area greatly out numbers the decent ones.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 7:42 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Sitting on the Carolina Smokehouse deck, sucking on some ribs. Sunday afternoon, lot of families and just having a nice time.

3 IDIOTS go to leave on what I describe as RAT Harley's. Now first they are backed into the Handicap parking space, then they proceed to fire up with their loud pipes facing right at all us people 15 feet away. Well they proceed to put on " my penis is small, but I have a loud bike" show. I mean cranking the hell out of it at idle, then pull out WOT.

I never felt so embarrassed in my life. We are sitting there with riding gear on. I made a loud comment to the effect of "daddy when I grow up can I have a big noise making Harley too?" Many people laughed. But it was very embarrassing and really pissed me off.

So when we left I pulled into the lot close to where they were, not in the handicap zone to wait on Chris who had convinced them to take pictures of the inside of the smokehouse. I was facing the porch where we were sitting as Chris got his pics and the Pig weather vane.

We then drove off and left in near silence. We hope we at least showed the people, families really, that all of us are not idiots.

I was ashamed for these jerks and they wonder why everywhere we go now people have attitudes.

Loud pipes SUCK!

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:22 am

Unfortunately, you are Preaching to the choir on this site...

In my area there really are only two things that piss off the locals:
1.) Loud Pipes.
2.) Large motorcycle groups that refuse to ride at or above the speed limit.

I have had people tell me that they prefer the sportbikes.
Sometimes they get spooked when a group goes flying by all acroos the double yellow, but at least they are gone and not holding up little Jimmy's T-ball practice.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:31 am

Ok....Loud pipes suck

but that's not what this thread is about,
there are @ssholes and real riders on just about every brand of motorcycle (even Harley's)
Anybody that's "serious" about riding gets tired of "straight pipes" real quick (I did)

There was a time in my life (20+years) when I was a high mileage Harley rider.
if it wasn't a Harley I wouldn't even look at it, just wasn't interested,
I would have "rode the bus" before I rode a Honda.

Always thought Beemers were "cool" just not for me.

With time my taste's changed (I even enjoy my fathers music now)

Moral of the story: you can't really judge a person by what he rides, just the way he acts.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 10:41 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0208
I wad riding back from Chattanooga this afternoon when I pulled over on the side of the rode thinking I had left my wallet at a store where i had got gas a guy on a Harley RK stopped he thought I was having problems and offered to help I told him I was just checking the trunk to make sure my wallet was in there thankfully it was. Any we had about a 30 min. coversation about riding and complimented each other on our bikes he seemed like a really nice guy so I think he was more of a motorcyclist than a lot of Harley riders that I have been around.
Scott thanks for sharing your experience. Like many things we always hear about the negative experiences not the positive.

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:29 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Please don't get me wrong. In the 1400 miles we rode and stopped, including Deals Gap, these were the only idiots we encountered which I think is a good average.

Stopped at the Gap not only did I meet Brian from this forum, but so many GREAT RIDERS on all kinds of bikes.

I too was guilty of the noise sin but NEVER would I do what these did, never.

Anyway the point is the people we meet along the way, not what they ride.

When we were leaving Franklin the day before two couples came in the lot next to ours. One on a Valkyrie (sp), and another on a Ventura I think. Pulling full popups each! We got dinner and heard them staking. Went around the RV later and they had both pop ups out, a canvas mesh tent over the concrete pad with the picnic table. Ohh and each pop up had a 5500 BTU AC running in it. King size bed in one.

They were from Arkansas and just the nicest couples you would ever wanted to meet and exchange information with. Truly a good time sitting with them for hours sharing and laughing at some of the stuff we do.

Just being Humans and sharing life.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 3:32 pm

Smile Re: Sharing a thought about a Harley rider

Its been my experience that one on one most Harley owners are ok. but when there is a whole gaggle of them they turn into a bunch of A$$holes with a attitude. I tend to ignore them. I turn into what they call a snootie BMW rider.
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 7:03 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I guess back on topic. I was taught you stop for bikes on the side of the road, if you can safely. I usually try to get slow enough to yell are you OK? I also try to give a thumbs up in case they don't hear me in time and look in the rear view for a signal from them.

The way home a minivan with a flat sneaker and a woman and her husband, I yelled if they were OK she gave a big thumbs up, and yelled thank you.

You almost have to make a judgment call, can you do it safely, try to find out without getting off the road, and does it look strange in any way.

I have been in a similar situation as the original post, looking for something in that suitcase on the back, and someone asked me if I need help.

I think that most riders pay it forward. I have needed it a time or two.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
BMW MOA #135959
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 11:09 pm

I always stop to help...

Because here, help could be a long ways away, with no cell phone coverage.
I stopped and helped a turtle cross the road safely today.

Here is today's Harley story:
The wife on an SV650s, a friend on a ZX10 and me on an 848 were at Philips in Robbinsville for breakfast. You must try this place when in town.
We left the diner at the same time two couples both on HD walked out.
Couple one, we'll call him D1ckhead hopped on his hog, started it and wrapped off his Screamin' Eagle Sh1t a few times. Then moved about six feet in the space and shut it down.
We were in the space next to them. Couple two, on an HD, were motorcyclist.
He saw that we were running Chatterboxs. His wife who also rides wants to be able to communicate when they get sepparated. They come over and start discussing the features and function of the Chatterbox.
We talk for about ten minutes. All the time I am watching D1ckhead get more and more steamed...
I think it was because couple two actually is doing their homework before making a major purchase and the answers were coming from lowly sportbike riders.
Couple two hopped on their HD and fired it up... They sound good with stock exhaust... I let him know that.

Moral of the story: two bikes from IL. We could easily tell who came to the mountains to enjoy the motorcycle and the serenity.

Visit
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 12:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0208
I wad riding back from Chattanooga this afternoon when I pulled over on the side of the rode thinking I had left my wallet at a store where i had got gas a guy on a Harley RK stopped he thought I was having problems and offered to help....
That's funny because I encountered an angel on a Harley once south of Nashville. It was close to 100 degrees and traffic was at a dead standstill on the Interstate with nary a breeze. My R1100RT overheated and started knocking. I pulled it over to the shoulder and a few minutes later, a guy on a Harley pulls up to see what the problem is. He's a lawyer headed into work. I explain my dilemma and he says, "look, follow me down the shoulder and I'll get you through Nashville. If a cop stops us, I'll talk to him." So he got me past the traffic snarl by taking surface streets that I never could have figured out (didn't have GPS back then) and on my way. Proof that angels can ride any brand of cycle.

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 8:51 am

Hey Dan Brown. Is it a gaggle of goose or a gaggle of geese?
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 9:48 pm

here is my Harley rider story.

Greg is from up north- same age as my son. His mom is a tuff momma- she rides to the NorthWest Territories from NYC every year- iron butt certified.

Greg finds out I bought a 01LT 1300 miles away. He asks when am I going to pick it up- I tell him- he schedules vacation Immediately and he rides the way up there-I fly and meet with him, pick up the LT and off we go.

I drop the girl- yes horrors and he wants to kick - ok it is me that wanted to kick the 75 years old guys that led to this parking lot nap for my girl.

we get the girl up, and then ride- this was the BEST RIDE i have ever had- Sorry I didnt let him ride her as SHES mine..

He also helped me put the shock on the swingarm when we found out the bolt had no nut behind the mount.
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 6th, 2008, 7:14 am

That's not a Harley story... That is a true friend. I have a lot of friends that ride Harley's.

Ride up to a group of eight HD riders and ask if you can hang with them.

Visit
post #15 of 16 Old Jul 8th, 2008, 12:30 pm

I love when I run into one or a group of "real" riders. You can usually identify them because they'll have trailers, or out of state plates.

My wife and I ran into 3 HD riders at a gas station in the "middle of nowhere" northern Michigan well off the interstate. The wife needed a restroom and I wanted something to drink. We had a nice conversation and I commented how much I liked their trailer set-up. We had a few laughs about riding 2-up and carry lots of gear.

Great weather, great conversation, good people all riding motorcycles. It's too bad that less common than "poser rebels" that act like total a** h***** because that's either who they are, to think they are somehow too cool to associate with geeky touring riders sitting upright behind a windscreen. I'm sure my BMW looks like a Goldwing to most stereotypical cruiser riders.

Jsut like every rich person has a right ot buy a Ferrari or Porsche, anyone can buy a motorcycle. There's no entrance exam or interview. So you just appreciate the good ones, ignore the bad ones and try your best to give people the benefit of doubt.

Good story!
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 9th, 2008, 1:38 pm

when I first got the LT I was about 120 mi. from home when the shift linkage broke, in first gear, as I was sitting there trying to get the thing in 4th at least 4 BMW riders rode by and no one stopped or gave me any indication they cared why i had my tools out and the shift lever and plate in my hands. a short time later a woman stopped to see if I needed help.If I did she would call her husband to come out to where we were. I didnt need help by then but while she waited to make sure I got on the road ok she told me that she and her husband ride Harleys.
I have also had people thank me for not having loud pipes.

2001 Suzuki Bandit 52k. mi.
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1275 mi.
2003 BMW K1200LTE 59K. mi.
South Park, Pa. south of Pittsburgh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in