Need travel suggestions for NW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Jun 29th, 2008, 8:47 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Need travel suggestions for NW

Hello all, I have a trip in the works for a cruise on the Pacific Coast Highway starting from around Toledo, OR. My son-in-law, (who is originally from Oregon), daughter and 2 grandchildren attend a big family reunion there every 2 years. So my wife and I decided it was time to accompany them to meet all his family as his grandparents are getting up in age. Of course while there we must take this opportunity to cruise Route US 101. August 7th we will be flying from NJ to Oregon and renting bikes August 11th thru the 14th. I was not able to get hold of a KLT so I have a Goldwing scheduled. It still should be exciting no matter what type of wheeled horse you are riding.

Our plans are to first head north for approximately 2 days toward Seattle and the Space Needle and back to Toledo. Then turn south for 2 more days to northern CA to check out this area. Hope this gives us enough time as our rentals are for 4 days only. Even though my S-I-L’s family lives there they haven’t traveled it on bike and I’m sure there are many beautiful places that lie undiscovered, so to speak. With that said, could any of you fellow riders from the area that have traveled it on bike give a little lowdown as to what to expect.

Looking at a map and trying to plan the overnight stays doesn’t always work. I know we’ll be stopping every 5 minutes to take pictures and enjoy the scenery which naturally makes the distance traveled a lot less. Also not knowing our riding stamina on the GW, it would be difficult for one to judge where to unsaddle for the night. So maybe there are better alternate routes to the planned destinations as we are open to any and all suggestions. The only pitfall is it must hinge around 4 days so please allow for stops and photo ops. Thanks in advance for any info and maybe we could cross paths with some fellow NW riders while there…………..Rob and Deb

Rob Sprague
Vineland, NJ
2009 BMW R1200RT Metallic Black
2006 BMW K1200LT/2012 Hannigan Trike Magnesium Black
2004 BMW K1200GT Orient Blue

"Money talks...but all mine ever says is good-bye."

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts
not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert
the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in