Gold Wing Convert - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:02 am Thread Starter

Gold Wing Convert

I have had LT's since 2003. Stopped by a Honda dealer yesterday on a lark. They had free hamburgers and hot dogs...also wanted to look at some of their gear. Looked at a 2008 Gold Wing. They let me test drive it and I bought it on the spot.

The power and stability of the bike was what converted me. It handled like a dream and lots of bells and whistles. The parking lot anxiety that always accompanies a stop with the LT was gone. The stock seating was infinitely more comfortable.

Honda also offered me a service policy. I purchased and extended warranty and service policy for $1200. I pay NOTHING for any maintainance for 3 years and all parts and labor are covered on the bike for 6 years should anything other than wear items (breaks and clutch) go bad. It covers all of that anywhere in the nation.

There is a bit more wind noise than on the LT at 75 mph and the windshield thing is going to be missed. The manual center stand of the GW is much easier than the manual of the LT....(although I will miss the automatic one on my 2005).

The wing is very nimble, TONS of power and a lot more dealers. Lots more gadgets should an owner be so inclined. I had toyed with this idea for quite some time. The fact that the LT is now only offered in black made me realize that the LT platform as we know it may well be history. THE GW has been around a long time.

The riders I met (contrary to the recent thread about 10 mile ice cream rides) seem to cover plenty of ground. Actually, that has no bearing on my riding at all since I never liked riding in groups. There is always someone whining about something and trying to stop just after everyone else gassed up.

I talked with 3 long distance GW riders who have 2008 1800's. They all were getting 43-47 miles per gallon loaded with two up. MY LT would get in the 50's with just me and staying under 65 or 70. When I jacked up the LT to 70-75, solo-I got 42-44 mpg. With two up on the LT, at highway speeds, it dropped substantially to 40 and below depending on the terrain and wind.
The 1800 GW is not working as hard at highway speeds.

I guess time will tell. Certainly, there are advantages and disadvantages to both...it is just that the GW felt better to me.

Best wishes to all of you. BTW, I have a gel battery tender for sale if anyone is interested.

I want to die young...at a ripe old age.

Several Triumphs (which I still love)
one Beezer 441
Harley Sportster (which I still hate and was ecstatic to see go)
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2005 LT- traded for deer (dead after the introduction to the LT- both totaled)
2005 LT- sold for a 2008 Gold Wing GL1800
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:49 am

Re: Gold Wing Convert

Good luck on your new ride Marc. Post a picture when you get a chance.
post #3 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:10 am

Your reasons for moving to a Wing mimic my own thoughts. Next bike will probably not be a BMW.

Enjoy your Honda,

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wants YOU!

post #4 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne
Honda also offered me a service policy. I purchased and extended warranty and service policy for $1200. I pay NOTHING for any maintainance for 3 years and all parts and labor are covered on the bike for 6 years should anything other than wear items (breaks and clutch) go bad. It covers all of that anywhere in the nation.
Of your post, I found this part most appealing. That being said, on twisty CA roads, I see a lot more LT's than GW's, so I'll keep my girl.

What matters is what you want, so I'm glad you're happy with the purchase. Ride on!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #5 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 2:47 pm
rlv

Been thinking the same thing.
Dealer about 2 miles down the road from my house and one in every town along the interstate and back road towns.
I stop by every couple of weeks just to check on them.
They had a very nice black one sitting in there yesterday and I did sit on it, and it did feel great.
Knew better than ride it even when they offered.
I knew that I would be reaching for my check book just as soon as I got back.
But I am patient.
I have heard that there are rumors that a new generation goldwing is due out sometime around this Sept.
Sure hope so, it would make a nice birthday present to myself.
Richard

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #6 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

The one I purchased is a 2008. Much lower that some others. Very....Very....Very quiet and enough power to be spooky.
So far my only disappointment is the stereo....not sure if something is wrong or it is a poor system.....very little volume.

one Beezer 441
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #7 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 6:09 pm

I feel the same about my 2008 Wing. I had two LT's and in 5 year I put over 90,000 miles on the two. I would never go back to the LT just for the reliliably. I have 10,000 miles on the Wing have never had one problem and all I have have done is change the oil and filter. If I had an LT in 2000 miles if I took it into a dealer they would want 500 to 700 dollars for a 12,000 check. It handles so much better at low speed and I do not see any difference at high speed cornering the way I ride. I have everything on it I had on my LT. Heated seats, heated grips, GPS, smart tire, radar detector, hands free phone, XM radio and speed-O-healer, which makes the speedometer correct. Here is a picture of mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Display.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	18469  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #8 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 6:31 pm

Thanks for the comparison. I love my 2005 LT, but with the closest dealer 120 miles away, I'm not convinced my next bike will be a BMW.

I think the BMW has a better ride, design, fit and finish than the GL1800, but the lower cost of Honda service and close proximity of Honda dealers make me inclined to strongly consider the wing down the rode.

The thing that caught my attention was the extended warranties. When I was shopping Gold Wings earlier this year, most dealers were offering 4 year extended warranties for $500 or less (7 total years for $500!). Since I bought the LT used, I checked with several BMW dealers and found the warranties were not factory and ran $1,200+ for only 3 extra years. The BMW extended warranty does not cover some major components (power center stand) while the Honda factory extended warranty covers everything you would expect it to.

BMW MOA Member #144729
My Prevoius bikes:
post #9 of 72 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

I did notice that the Wing does not feel quite as "heavy" at 70 mph as the LT. The LT does feel rock solid at highway speeds. The only thing I noticed about the wing was a little more wind noise. The accelleration at any speed is phenominal and the slow speed handling is a dream. I have a short inseam and the LT was always a bit quirky for me at slow speeds. Only dropped it one time in 5 years...and that was on gravel in my driveway when a construction crew doing some work for me had me blocked and I was in reverse on gravel. It was always a struggle though.

The stock seat is great and my wife loved the LT rear seat but likes the Wing seat even more. Both are heated.

I would say that the higher clearance on the LT would make it capable of laying over more. I never dragged a peg on the LT and am not worried about dragging it on the Wing.

I was always completely satisfied with my dealer and will miss spending time there....but will not miss the bill at the end of the day. I put some accessories on the Wing that would have run over $1000 for the LT....cost me under $500.

I intend on hanging around this site because I do believe this place has a lot of good information on all matters.

one Beezer 441
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #10 of 72 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 7:29 am

Best price for a new Goldwing in the nation? You be the judge...
http://www.hwhonda.com/. He was 2 to 3 thousand less than anyone else.
post #11 of 72 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlbertinacan
Best price for a new Goldwing in the nation? You be the judge...
http://www.hwhonda.com/. He was 2 to 3 thousand less than anyone else.
This is a great family owned dealership. They matched any price I found on the internet and offered me a 4 year extended factory warranty for $500. O.D. is a great guy and my salesman Curt was more then happy to let me test drive a GL1800. Something not many Honda dealers do.

I would highly recommend them to anyone buying a Honda or Yamaha.

BMW MOA Member #144729
My Prevoius bikes:
post #12 of 72 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 1:26 pm

I origionaly was thinking of getting a GL1800 but it was the fuel economy figures that put me off. Airborne, your figures are great, do the rest of you goldwing riders get that sort of economy? Also, i'm pretty short, 5"7, whats it like to touch the floor from the saddle?
post #13 of 72 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 3:40 pm

I do allot of vacation's with two goldwing riders. There both GL1800, we have done many comparison and riding 2 up, running around 75 to 80 mph. I get around 42 mpg, one of the wings gets the same and one gets usually 40. It is just a few cents deferents at stops.

Now riding 2 up and pulling a trailer, at same speeds, I get around 36 to 37 MPG. The wings was getting 33 to 35.

This is first hand info, we have done many trips and are always comparing at gas stops.

Mickey
post #14 of 72 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 4:14 pm

One other thing to keep in mind. Even if the wing milage is the same as the LT, the Wing runs great on 87,89 octane or 10% Ethanol too. No recommended Premium.
post #15 of 72 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 4:31 pm

Sounds nice. I can see why you were tempted. Good luck with you wing. Drive safely.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #16 of 72 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:26 pm

This weekend I am going on a 3000 km. ride. The posse includes an RT, GSA, Goldwing, Wide Glide and a Venture. All these guys are hard core long distance riders who have owned bikes anywhere from 25 to 50 years. Everyone swears that their bike is the best. Ain't choice a wonderful thing.
post #17 of 72 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 4:45 am Thread Starter

Exactly

one Beezer 441
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #18 of 72 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 7:02 am

I had an opportunity to ride one last week. Stopped at the
Honda Hoot returning from North Corolina.

I liked it very much as well. Power was great, really liked the way
the clutch engages, lots of power, not top heavy, etc.

I would miss the electric windshield. Surprised they haven't added
that yet the ST1300 has it. My SO liked it very much as well, but
felt her seat was more comfortable on the LT.

Good luck with your new Wing...

Larry Rusnak
Wadsworth, Ohio
2002 K1200LTC Pacific Blue
post #19 of 72 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 7:13 am

Sounds good, whats the rough tank range on one? I can do about 240-250 miles in my LT.
post #20 of 72 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 7:32 am
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Marc enjoy your new ride!
I looked at a Gold Wing back in 03' for many of the reasons you mentioned but I thought the overall ride of the LT was better suited to me. My wife and I also could not get passed the "Grandpa Look" of the wing.
Ride safe!

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #21 of 72 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 9:13 am

Both motorcycle have positive attributes. After 7 years on goldwings, I just moved to the LT. I think is has allot to do with the rider. I am 5'11" with 32 inseam, with fair strength. I think a GL is more user friendly to an older person with shorter legs. the GL has a very low center of gravity and seat height.

GL vs LT. 1st off the 1800 GL is night and day above the other goldwings. I have owed 1200s, 1500s and an 1800. + 2 Harleys. We ride 2 up, pulling a trailer, interstate mostly, sometimes 7 or 8 hour days. "I travel to see my kids." So it is point A to point B as quick as possible only. The GL seems to be superior some measurable area except gas mileage, and ride quality, especially at highway speeds. However the LT has more sole, or appeal at a gas station. BMW people seem to be more sophisticated. "If that is important to you."

I'm more comfortable "front seat" on the LT, but my SO is more comfy on the GL. "There is more room in the back seat of a wing." Air management seems to be better on the LT. "moveable shield etc."

The GL will trounce the LT with a throttle roll-on in 5th gear. I can not get used to downshifting the LT but I am working on it.

The brakes are better on the bimmer, but I did not own a ABS wing. Goldwings are notoriously dependable. Major failures are uncommon. You guys have scared the hell out of me with all of the talk about clutch, final drive and other failures on the bimmer. I going to stop reading all that crap and just ride. I really like the feel, and a general feeling of performance on the LT. "But that is hard to measure."

I'm going to give the LT a fair chance. Maybe 10000 miles. If it doesnt work, I'll go back to the GL like everyone else. I like change and dont have any brand loyalty unless the brand has loyalty to me. Just my 2 cents.
post #22 of 72 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:57 am

I've always felt the LT is better for younger drivers, it's like a sporty tourer but not a sport tourer. The GL is an awesome bike, but it doesn't look near as fun. And I hate the 1800cc engine. Motorcycles don't need engines that big, 1200cc is more than enough.

Shariff
post #23 of 72 Old Jun 24th, 2008, 3:11 pm

I'm curious about heat management. Those of you who have ridden extensively on both LT's and 1800 Wings: is one or the other superior in terms of the amount of heat or hot air from the engine the rider is subjected to?
post #24 of 72 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Well, your concerns about the Gl 1800 engine being too big, You may not have a choice, as the roomers are flying around that the new LT's coming out are going to be 6 cylinders and up graded to 1500, 1800 or 2000cc's in 2010.
As far as the heat issue concerning the Goldwing...there isn't any, at least on mine. There is a heat vent one can open to allow hot air to come out when the temp drops to kind of warm up the 'ol tootsies and legs. But one does not feel any heat coming directly from the engine as one would coming from a ST 1300 or Harley.

It may have been the one particular '09 LT I test rode, but I noticed that when the bike was sitting on it's side stand idiling, it shook a bit
At idle. One can hardly tell that the Honda is running.

I've always thought that BMW's were cool lookin' in a unique way. I've also thought that the upper end touring bikes offered from BMW and Honda were the best anyone can buy.
As far as BMW riders being more sophisticated well, to me, they appear that they may be, You who ride Beemers know better than I would. However, the BMW riders i've met while on tour seemed to be pretty much like folks like me...people who enjoy a good touring bike, love to ride and love to talk about their bikes.

Mikey S.
post #25 of 72 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 8:00 pm

I have ridden both, and from a sport riders point of view the LT is hands down a better handling bike when pushed in the corners. All other points are true about the wing. Hate to have a breakdown on the LT.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #26 of 72 Old Jun 25th, 2008, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

I put 200 miles on the GL today. No heat from the engine. it was 92 outside and dripping humidity. I was wearing a Revitt summer jacket and forgot to take the rain liner out......dumb a..! The bike is doing fine....The GPS seems to work fine though it did take a long way around today. I knew where I was going and just wanted to see how it did. It is infinitely easier to read the gauges and the GPS on the wing...no wash out from the sun or blinding reflection like I was getting on the LT. The Wing's instrumentation was clear all day....no matter which direction I was heading. Did 100 miles in the morning and 100 coming back in the late afternoon.

I do not know who makes the Wing's GPS but I still think Garmin is the best.

All this talk about "status" and elitism" is a crock. It boils down to what ever bike calls to your needs. When I ride, I want comfort, performance, reliability and economy...not necessarily in that order. Styling and Profiling needs to be in a separate catagory...other than discussing the performance of a machine.

one Beezer 441
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA

Last edited by airborne; Jun 25th, 2008 at 10:45 pm. Reason: add information
post #27 of 72 Old Jun 30th, 2008, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Just a final comment on the conversion. I have ridden the GL 1800 enough now to feel, that for me, it was good decision. With two up, I started at 38 mpg. After 650 miles it was 42 mpg-two up and highway speeds 70 and under. I was informed that it will probably hit 45 mpg or be in that range.

I was in HEAVY wind yesterday with my wife on the back...out handled the LT to the point that my wife noticed it on her own. She has had five years on the back of the LT's and felt, as did I, that the Wing was doing much better in the 30-40 mph breeze.

The radio is much more user friendly and easier to program. Sound system was much better and the icing on the cake was the break in oil change was paid for. Again, all maint. is paid for and the warranty is for 6 years and unlimited mileage.....$1200 one time flat fee for the extended warrantee and maint. That is the cost of one oil change and a 12,000 mile service on the LT if you do not do it yourself.

Again, for me, ...the Wing suits me fine. I feel like I am sitting in the bike and not on it. I strongly encourage anyone who has been speculating about the Wing to give it a try and see if it meets your needs....it sure did mine....and I have been riding for 42 years.

one Beezer 441
2003 LT- traded for 2005
2008 GL1800 Gold Wing
BMWMOA
post #28 of 72 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:13 am

Before I got the LT I looked very closely at the Wing. Im close to Marysville and spent significant time up at the Honda Homecoming, did several test rides over a couple of years and talked with a lot of GW owners. The single biggest thing I could not get over with the wing was the butt ugly, Honda Accord rear end. How could they do that!!! With the bikes being so close and the people on both sides being so good the ass end delivered the knock out punch for BMW. At the local Bike night this week I've received so many compliments on the LT that it constantly surprises me. However the GW will kill it in a drag race. Has anyone done anything with changed gearing on the LT to give it a little bit more grunt?? YOu really have to spool it up to get it moving.

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #29 of 72 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 8:53 am

There's no doubt they're both top notch touring bikes. I've had 'wings. I now have an LT. I think it looks and handles better but the main thing is the 'wing is just so huge. May be great for big straight wide highways but over here space is usually at a premium. I feel (purely subjective) that the LT is closer to the STX1300, which I also had.

Kevin.
post #30 of 72 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 3:43 pm

I have ridden several 'Wings both as test rides and some troubleshooting for friends (yes, Virginia, even the Hondas have some problems now and then). I am 6'1" around 230 with a 34" inseam, and the 'Wing just seems too small for me. When riding the 'Wing I feel like my elbows are jammed into my ribs and my knees are in my lap. Being tall, the LT doesn't bother me too much.

The 'Wing is definitely a great ride, and that engine is a peach. Viva la difference!

Rick

2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
2013 R1200GS LC
2011 Husqvarna TE630

"Never ask a man what computer he uses; if it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" -- Tom Clancy
post #31 of 72 Old Jul 4th, 2008, 3:51 pm

Interesting thread. Having just recently purchased an LT, and having the engine fail after 381 miles, after which BMW seems to be dragging thier feet on getting a new bike to me. I have to seriously consider demanding my money back and purchasing a different bike
post #32 of 72 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 7:53 am

Quote:
The one I purchased is a 2008. Much lower that some others. Very....Very....Very quiet and enough power to be spooky.
So far my only disappointment is the stereo....not sure if something is wrong or it is a poor system.....very little volume.
Check to see that your mute button on the left hand switch cluster is not engaged. DAMHIK
Also. Do not get all excited about all of those dealers that are out there for Hondas. The quality of tech's is not always there and a good many of them will/can not work on Wings.
As far as forums go, the BMW ones are head and heels above the GL1800 ones, IMHO.. That is why I still read over here.
LT riders complain about $1200. tune-ups. Those guys complain about $7. oil filters.
The LT, in my opinion, is a better, more involving, m/c. but the GL1800 is a better utilitarian machine.
As far as mileage, those that are getting 47-48 mpg on their GL1800s.. They are not pulling trailers,... they are on trailers..
See ya on the road..

Tim S
Arizona,USA

2011 R1200RT
post #33 of 72 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 9:19 am

Quote:
---------------------------------
Again, for me, ...the Wing suits me fine. I feel like I am sitting in the bike and not on it. ----------------------------------.
That is what most that like the LT over the Goldwing quote as a positive for the LT. I tried the GL1800 before buying the LT, and felt scrunched up on it. Also, I did not like the "sitting IN the bike" feel of it.

Different strokes for different folks. Great that we have so many choices available to us, something for everyone.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #34 of 72 Old Jul 5th, 2008, 9:00 pm

All the rain I just encountered in the past few days made me a believer in sitting IN the bike and not on it.
I was as dry as as toast in a waffle house when I rode at a decent - read still safe speed.

I too felt the tug of the GW when I bought this 01 LT. Different could be part of the reason.. was the same reason I DID NOT buy a harley. There are alot of great rides out there and I wanted a taste of something different.

It wasnt about Status - its all a matter of individualism- we can have it our way.. Doesnt that make it fun-

We coulda had a vespa aND ALL of us would be happy too. or would we?

Great site guys!
post #35 of 72 Old Jul 7th, 2008, 5:18 pm

I love my LT, but I give the GL credit. They are both damn good bikes, buy what fits you best. For me, the LT is the way to go.
post #36 of 72 Old Jul 12th, 2008, 1:34 pm

[QUOTE=airborne]I have had LT's since 2003. Stopped by a Honda dealer yesterday on a lark. They had free hamburgers and hot dogs...also wanted to look at some of their gear. Looked at a 2008 Gold Wing. They let me test drive it and I bought it on the spot.

The power and stability of the bike was what converted me. It handled like a dream and lots of bells and whistles. The parking lot anxiety that always accompanies a stop with the LT was gone. The stock seating was infinitely more comfortable.

There is a bit more wind noise than on the LT at 75 mph and the windshield thing is going to be missed. The manual center stand of the GW is much easier than the manual of the LT....(although I will miss the automatic one on my 2005).

The wing is very nimble, TONS of power and a lot more dealers. Lots more gadgets should an owner be so inclined. I had toyed with this idea for quite some time. The fact that the LT is now only offered in black made me realize that the LT platform as we know it may well be history. THE GW has been around a long time.

The riders I met (contrary to the recent thread about 10 mile ice cream rides) seem to cover plenty of ground. Actually, that has no bearing on my riding at all since I never liked riding in groups. There is always someone whining about something and trying to stop just after everyone else gassed up.

I talked with 3 long distance GW riders who have 2008 1800's. They all were getting 43-47 miles per gallon loaded with two up. MY LT would get in the 50's with just me and staying under 65 or 70. When I jacked up the LT to 70-75, solo-I got 42-44 mpg. With two up on the LT, at highway speeds, it dropped substantially to 40 and below depending on the terrain and wind.
The 1800 GW is not working as hard at highway speeds.

I guess time will tell. Certainly, there are advantages and disadvantages to both...it is just that the GW felt better to me.

Best wishes to all of you. BTW, I have a gel battery tender for sale if anyone is interested.[/QU

Iif your battery tender is still for sale, talk to me about it. [email protected] or phone me at 909-213-8047. thanks

'83 R65 - PAST
'87 K100LT - PAST
'05 K1200LT- PAST
'06 K1200LT- PRESENT
post #37 of 72 Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:24 pm

Went through the same conversion two years ago. Traded my FJR for a GT, and my second LT for a Wing.

Have put 20,000 miles on the Wing (mostly last summer and so far this summer). Just got back from a 6,000 mile solo tour (Denver - Atlanta - Washington, DC - NY - Ottawa - Sault Ste Marie - Sioux Falls - Denver with lots of intermediate stops and roads in-between). Problems to date with the Wing - zero; but I never had a problem with either of my LTs.

Miss the electric windshield. Don't miss the high COG. No heat on either bike for me, and yes, lower mpg (~40-42) than the LT, but ergonomically more comfortable for me. Pluses and minuses on both sides. I personally believe that these are far and away the two premier luxury tourers, and the final choice is a matter of taste/preference.

One observation related to a previous comment in the thread, related to all Honda dealers not having the ability to work on Wings. Maybe not, but they still stock parts, and if you assumed that even half of the dealers fell into that category (which they don't), you'd still have a bigger dealer network riding the Wing than the BMW.

Bottom line, IMHO, no need to criticize one to justify the purchase of the other. They're both great bikes.

YMMV, and probably does or will.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #38 of 72 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 7:18 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

Hey guys, speaking of GW's: What was Honda's reason for moving the GW plant back out of the USA? Is that the only Honda MC that was assembled here?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #39 of 72 Old Jul 16th, 2008, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjacobson
Hey guys, speaking of GW's: What was Honda's reason for moving the GW plant back out of the USA? Is that the only Honda MC that was assembled here?
Don't know for certain, but I've heard/read 3 reasons:

1) Lower costs through consolidation/centralization
2) Increased control of quality
3) Significant increase in new models (many current models are going away) and significant changes to existing models easier with a single massive facility with new equipment and tooling in one location

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #40 of 72 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 2:23 pm

I stopped by the local Beaumont, TX Honda dealer and asked for a scheduled maintenance guide and service costs. Here is the cost breakdown of the recommended full dealer service.

4,000 Mile = $156
8,000 Mile = $251
12,000 Mile = $385
16,000 Mile = $266
20,000 Mile = $156
24,000 Mile = $450

Total = $1,664

Because I only have 5,000 miles on my BMW K1200LT, I have not had my 6K, 12K, or 24k services. How does this dealers costs compare to the average BMW dealer?

BMW MOA Member #144729
My Prevoius bikes:
post #41 of 72 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 3:57 pm

I have been reading this thread with interest, not because I am interested in buying a GW, which I am not, having test ridden one, both with and without my wife, both agreeing that the LT suits US better, not that the GW is a worse bike.

Anyway getting back to the last question, I personally feel that it is not a question that can be answered without taking into account the major cost factor of the tupperware removal and replacement cost. If this were not factored in, I for one think the service costs would be more or less the same, even possibly less for the LT.
post #42 of 72 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasRider
I stopped by the local Beaumont, TX Honda dealer and asked for a scheduled maintenance guide and service costs. Here is the cost breakdown of the recommended full dealer service.

4,000 Mile = $156
8,000 Mile = $251
12,000 Mile = $385
16,000 Mile = $266
20,000 Mile = $156
24,000 Mile = $450

Total = $1,664

Because I only have 5,000 miles on my BMW K1200LT, I have not had my 6K, 12K, or 24k services. How does this dealers costs compare to the average BMW dealer?
Scan the board -- you will hit the $1664, by your 12,000 mile tune on the LT (assuming you include the scheduled brake, coolant and clutch flushes). The prices you have listed are about 30% higher on average than I see here.

I did hear a rumor that BMW changed the service interval for clutch and brake to every three years (un-confirmed by me...) that would help, but the Goldwing is still much less expensive to service.

The infamous air filters (on both models) are easier/quicker to get to on the Wing. Oil changes are a piece of cake on the Wing (external spin-on filter) and the filter is common - you may find it works on other bikes you have...

Regarding someones "tupperware" comments -- I can strip all the plastics on the Wing in about 50% the time it took me to do the same on the LT for general maintenance (air filter, etc.). You don't have to pull it for valve checks... The back half of the bike is the total opposite -- it takes twice the time to strip the bags and trunk from the Wing.

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #43 of 72 Old Jul 17th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasRider

4,000 Mile = $156
8,000 Mile = $251
12,000 Mile = $385
16,000 Mile = $266
20,000 Mile = $156
24,000 Mile = $450

Total = $1,664

Color me pretty dense here, butt how can you compare costs when all you've got is the mileage factor? And even the mileage figgers aren't apples to apples. I'd rather have the wrench item-to-item match, and then couple that with a mileage common figure. Bound to be some items addressed on one bike that is not addressed on the other, in a like mileage schedule - e.g., brake fluid changes are a time factored item for the LT, not mileage. Dunno the Wing's schedule.

Like I say, for me the mileage figure match, by itself, doesn't do what I would want for comps; without knowing the scheduled items. JM2.5CW
post #44 of 72 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:51 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,

+1 on what Mavin said. My BMW costs me roughly TWICE what my rice burner did, mile per mile. Also, instead of going down the street to have her serviced, I get to ride 70 miles, ONE WAY!

So, would I buy my GT over again? You bet your sweet fat ass! In a New York minute!! Why? Because, quite simply, it's the finest mass production m/c ever made.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #45 of 72 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 7:30 am

Many of us own two bikes....LT and GS, LT and GT, etc.
Does anyone own an LT and a Goldwing?
I suppose it dosen't make sense to own two similar bikes.
Just curious.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #46 of 72 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:04 am

Watch what you say...a link to this discussion has been posted on the Goldwing board

Of course that begs the question: Who cares what a bunch of LT riders have to say about Goldwings? Just another spin on the old "My johnson is bigger than yours"

post #47 of 72 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 11:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Just curious.
Wanna make me an offer on my Goldwing? I'll throw in a few extra Vetter fairings, body panels, and miscellaneous other parts.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #48 of 72 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 9:13 pm

I know this post has been a round for a while and I've just let it ride. But why
would you need numerous Lts since 03 when ones done me fine for 3yrs now. I would'nt trade it for a new Goldwing and I have nothing against then. Just a
matter of style and the Lt has more.
post #49 of 72 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:36 pm

Smile Re: Gold Wing Convert

Because there was a few changes when the 05 came out. A little more horsepower, instrument panel changed, power center stand (over rated), better GPS mount, a new ride and personal choice. And most of all because I could. This has to be the greatest country in the world!!!

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwriderm
I know this post has been a round for a while and I've just let it ride. But why
would you need numerous Lts since 03 when ones done me fine for 3yrs now. I would'nt trade it for a new Goldwing and I have nothing against then. Just a
matter of style and the Lt has more.
post #50 of 72 Old Jul 18th, 2008, 10:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk610lt
Just curious.

I did. Now own a Wing and a GT. Not even comparable, IMHO.

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in