Great Cherohala Story - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Great Cherohala Story

So today me, my wife, my buddy and his wife were out on Beemers. We rode up to the Lost Sea. This is a must when you visit Western NC and Eastern TN.
On the way home we decided to take the Cherohala. There was a bicycle race on the Skyway today and figured at 1700 the bike would be heading West.
First let me set up the story:
The Cherohala has speed limits ranging from 30MPH in TN to 45MPH in NC.
We are on the TN side and I think the area we were in was 40MPH.
I was in front doing about fifty, there was a Ford Tauras between us.
I look down in my mirror and to my astonishment, there is a early ninties Mitsubishi Eclipse passing my buddy.
Passing him in the grass on the right side of the road. Then he passes the Ford. Then he passed me.
Did I mention we were in a curve?
Unbeleivable!

If it doesn't get better... Remember, you really can not pass in the west bound lane, note: double yellow line, but also there are sh1t loads of bicyclist over there.
Now the Ford is passing me. In the other lane, with oncoming bicycles.
What in the world are these people thinking?

We make it another couple miles and who do you suppose is broke down in the middle of the road?
You got it the to goobers that just past us in the grass.
It was all fun for them, they toasted us with their beers as we pasted.

All I can still think is WoW!
I have done an seen some stupid stuff, but this has got to top it.

Be cautious out there when you see those Monroe County tags.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 8:56 pm

Re: Great Cherohala Story

"It was all fun for them, they toasted us with their beers as we pasted."

Thanks for sharing that awesome ride story.

Sooooooo.... could we assume that the
Eclipse driver just might possibly be s*** faced drunk as you pasted?

...and you did exactly what next?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 21st, 2008 at 9:14 pm.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 21st, 2008, 9:23 pm

Yeah, it's stuff like this which has caused me to rethink my vacation plans this summer. I really love that whole area, and enjoy fly-fishing and camping it almost as much as the riding. However, it's just gotten to the point now where it's just over exploited and is not much fun to deal with the racetrack mentality which seems fairly common all over the area, not just on 129. I'm going to Nova Scotia and PEI this year instead.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1
Yeah, it's stuff like this which has caused me to rethink my vacation plans this summer. I really love that whole area, and enjoy fly-fishing and camping it almost as much as the riding. However, it's just gotten to the point now where it's just over exploited and is not much fun to deal with the racetrack mentality which seems fairly common all over the area, not just on 129. I'm going to Nova Scotia and PEI this year instead.

I have never been to NS and will go one day soon as I have heard the people there are fantastic and the area, especially Cape Breton, is awesome.

I have traveled the Cherohala and Western NC many many times, it is a great area to ride, good people and good food. Now there is not to say that there a few that needs to be taken behind the woodshed.....

If you have never been to this area and have been to NS, I would say to visit Western North Carolina and form your own opinion.

Have a safe journey no matter you travel.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #5 of 11 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 9:09 am

Unbelievable is right:

This @sshole risked injuring you, your wife, your buddy and countless other bicyclist
and you did..........nothing?

I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm scolding you, I realize you're not the one at fault.

But... I don't think I could have just let that go,

if you're not inclined to tell him what a rude idiot he is and/or kick his ass (which is what he needs)
How about a "courtesy" phone call to local law enforcement telling them what he did,
where the "drunk driver" is located, vehicle description, tag number etc.

Might not make a lot of difference but sooner or later this idiot is going to kill/hurt somebody,

I'd want to know that at least I tried to do something.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 11 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:52 pm Thread Starter

You must have better cell service than I do, or you have never tried a phone on the skyway?

You deal with idiots in your way.

I just shake my head and motor on.
His deeds will catch up to him.

95% of the time, there is no law on the skyway.
Who would you tell?

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC

95% of the time, there is no law on the skyway.
GOOD, then there would be no one for him to tell that he just had his punkass beaten to a bloody pulp for being an idiot.
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 2:10 am

Quote:
Went to NS last July and had a great time. Just watch road conditions, moose, and bears. Some of the secondary roads are in a lot worse shape than you would find here, and still be open. Even the Cabot Trail was not in good shape in some areas. Moose are an ever present danger in Maine, trucks go around picking up the carcasses each morning.
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost55
Went to NS last July and had a great time. Just watch road conditions, moose, and bears. Some of the secondary roads are in a lot worse shape than you would find here, and still be open. Even the Cabot Trail was not in good shape in some areas. Moose are an ever present danger in Maine, trucks go around picking up the carcasses each morning.
That's really good info, thanks!
I'm getting really excited about the trip actually, just the thought of being out on the road by myself for a week in a place I've never been is getting the blood flowing! That reminds me, I need to start looking up stuff to do / places to see / roads to ride etc.... Wooohooo!

post #10 of 11 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 7:36 pm

Exclamation Re: Great Cherohala Story

Quote:
That's really good info, thanks!
I'm getting really excited about the trip actually, just the thought of being out on the road by myself for a week in a place I've never been is getting the blood flowing! That reminds me, I need to start looking up stuff to do / places to see / roads to ride etc.... Wooohooo!
My wife and I went for a week last summer (and we are from Maine). let me know if you need any routes, or info on Cape Breton. we stayed for a week in a camping cabin on Bras d'Or Lake.
If you end up in Maine, and need assistance, or have any questions, PM me and I will give you cell and home numbers.
If the wife and I are home, we will take care of you.

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:43 pm

Hey Mark,
Thanks for that offer of hospitality - MUCH appreciated!
I'll send you a PM tomorrow so we can exchange some info.... I'm starting to get pretty excited....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in