Yet another new LT'er! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 6:23 am Thread Starter

Garage
Yet another new LT'er!

New 00' LT- Completing the maint. myself as I want to get to know her... Replaced the front and rear brake pads today, and I can not see any fluid in the rear resi.? should I be riding? The pads were low, will the fluid in the front resi, migrate to the rear? Nothing in the HOW or my main book sets me at ease... Assistance please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 6:46 am

Re: Yet another new LT'er!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
New 00' LT- Completing the maint. myself as I want to get to know her... Replaced the front and rear brake pads today, and I can not see any fluid in the rear resi.? should I be riding? The pads were low, will the fluid in the front resi, migrate to the rear? Nothing in the HOW or my main book sets me at ease... Assistance please...
Congrats on the new bike. 2000 is the best year

No, brake fluid in the front and rear are not connected. Later models have "linked" brakes but I am not sure that even those models share brake fluid.

"Can't see any fluid in the rear..." Have you taken off the cover and looked in, or are you just looking through the "window" at the side of the resevoir? I can't ever tell by looking at the window unless the lighing is really good.

If you put in new pads and pushed back the caliper pistons, this may have pushed fluid back into the resevoir filling it full up.

Flushing the brake system with new fluid is annual maintenance, if you haven't done it that would be a good idea unless you know the last time it was done.

Congrats on the bike.
You'll find this site very helpful.
There are videos available on maintenance procedures and there is a Clymer service manual as well as the BMW service manual. Getting one of those is a good idea. Or is one of those your "main book"?
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the valuable input... Didn't see how they could be connected, but hey, its a BMW. Who knows how they got all the greatness in a small package! Unknown on the flush, I figure i will keep an eye on it over the next day or so. I am looking through the sight inside the bag, with the assistance of a light through the seat (raised of coarse). take of the cover? plastic panel, yes? I could not see how to get to the resi. My Clymer does not touch much on the rear resi.....

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
Thanks for the valuable input... Didn't see how they could be connected, but hey, its a BMW. Who knows how they got all the greatness in a small package! Unknown on the flush, I figure i will keep an eye on it over the next day or so. I am looking through the sight inside the bag, with the assistance of a light through the seat (raised of coarse). take of the cover? plastic panel, yes? I could not see how to get to the resi. My Clymer does not touch much on the rear resi.....
No need to remove plastic to get to rear reservoir, lift front seat, remove rear seat (two hex headed bolts).
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 17th, 2008, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Garage

Yet another great example of the knowing, explaining the obvious to the new kids....Thanks for that, I would have been there for a while....
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 20th, 2008, 12:46 pm

I also have a 2000 LT, and recently had similar problems. You can reach the rear brake oil resevoir from behind and through the "wheel well". If you have a flashlight in your hand you can shine it up and through the resevoir from the bottom, and then see the level through the sight glass in the side case (or is it a pannier, or a saddle bag?). My brakes were flushed last year, and the fluid is a nice light straw color.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in