How to reverse a route on Garmin 2720? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 26th, 2008, 8:50 am Thread Starter

How to reverse a route on Garmin 2720?

Hi, all:

I distinctly remember being able to reverse a route on my previous Garmin receivers (i.e., running from B to A, instead of A to B).

I am talking about doing it in the receiver itself, not in MapSource software.

Yet, when riding yesterday, I could not find any menu in my 2720 that would allow me to navigate a stored route in reverse. Am I missing something?

Tnx in advance.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 26th, 2008, 4:19 pm

Re: How to reverse a route on Garmin 2720?

Without going to look for myself, I think the guy who answered your same question on Advrider.com gave you the right answer.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #3 of 12 Old May 26th, 2008, 9:15 pm Thread Starter

Hi, Al:

thanks for your note. Indeed, I got an answer - unfortunately I am still not clear about the solution. BTW, I do recognize a lot of names on both LT and ADV forums - seems like there is a lot of "cross-pollination".

For the lurkers here: Phil on ADV replied that a point-to-point route can be reversed. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7054607
I assume that point-to-point is a route made of a set of waypoints. That is how I have stored some nice runs: I created them in MapSource by linking points on map.

Still, I cannot find a method how to flip them - I just spent some time again trying to figure this on both the 2720 and on my Quest. I'll ask Phil again.

Robert in Northern NJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; May 26th, 2008 at 9:31 pm.

post #4 of 12 Old May 27th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I would guess you got to create a new saved route, pick to selct from ??? (not map, the other choice. I'm not at home right now), get to recent finds and pick your waypoints out of the list in reverse order.

Norwood
08 B Blue
NC
post #5 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 8:50 am

I believe if you do "edit current route" you can reposition waypoints in reverse order.....

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #6 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARFIGHTER
I believe if you do "edit current route" you can reposition waypoints in reverse order.....
I think that is true. However, in a complex route, the waypoint names are very cryptical and once I start repositioning I lose track of them. I know, I tried.

Seems like the best method for now is to create two routes in MapSource - one forward, one reverse.

Robert in Northern NJ

post #7 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 6:19 pm

I quit using multi-point routes.

Too many times, I've had to veer off the route, for one thing or another, and the damn thing keeps putting me back on it.

I do enter several waypoints and just goto the waypoint. Easy to "Find Waypoint" if you name them with a 1,2,3, etc.

That way you never have the GPS redirecting you to a specific "route", just how to get where you are going.

Sorry this didn't help answer the question, but might provide an alternative you may wish to employ at some time.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #8 of 12 Old May 28th, 2008, 10:36 pm

James

I learned that recently. I was using multiple points because I wanted to see certain areas/ roads. I decided not to go through the center of a town (which was one point) and the stupid 2720 kept trying to make me go back to "touch the flag." Like you, I now do single points that get me where I want to go ultimately. When I get near the first endpoint, I cancel that route and start the next route- that way, even if I'm not at the new start point it directs you to your final destination on that route. Much easier and it doesn't keep trying to turn you around to "touch the flag."

Norwood
08 B Blue
NC
post #9 of 12 Old May 29th, 2008, 4:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwoodD
James

Like you, I now do single points that get me where I want to go ultimately. When I get near the first endpoint, I cancel that route and start the next route.....
Not to high jack this thread, but is there a way to combine routes with the Mapsource software (version 6.13.7)?
On a recent "short" 400 mile trip I made six routes only because of the difficulties of using the Mapsource software (if I pick two points, it would route me differently than I wanted to go).

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 12 Old May 29th, 2008, 7:38 am

Actually if you want to reverse the route in mapsource, click the route name and bring up the route dialogue box. Click invert (on right side) and you've done it.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #11 of 12 Old May 29th, 2008, 8:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Not to high jack this thread, but is there a way to combine routes with the Mapsource software (version 6.13.7)?
On a recent "short" 400 mile trip I made six routes only because of the difficulties of using the Mapsource software (if I pick two points, it would route me differently than I wanted to go).
Mike... You can transfer your routes and waypoints from your GPS unit to a newly created file in Mapsource. You can then create a new (combined) route using the waypoints that you imported from your GPS unit.

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

post #12 of 12 Old May 29th, 2008, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
I quit using multi-point routes.

Too many times, I've had to veer off the route, for one thing or another, and the damn thing keeps putting me back on it.

I do enter several waypoints and just goto the waypoint. Easy to "Find Waypoint" if you name them with a 1,2,3, etc.

That way you never have the GPS redirecting you to a specific "route", just how to get where you are going.

Sorry this didn't help answer the question, but might provide an alternative you may wish to employ at some time.
That is good advice. I've been through the same (painful) learning curve. I too go waypoint to waypoint. I enter enough wayponits to "force" Mapsource to create a route on the specific roads that I want to use. I then transfer the waypoints to my StreetPilot (2820, I did the same thing with my 2610.)

I use a three digit prefix for each waypoint. Each series of numbers 1(XX), 2(XX), 3(XX), etc. generally represents a state. To make it easier to find a particular waypoint for a state, I also create categories in Mapsource for each state (the categories will transfer to your StretPilot). The XX portion of the number (usually 10, 20 ,30 ,etc.) provides me the sequence of waypoints in accordance with the roads I want to take. If I need to modify my route a little, I insert another waypoint using the last digit (11, 12 , 13, etc.). By entering enough waypoints, Mapsource takes me exactly the way that I want to go. Likewise, for my StreetPilot, after I transfer the waypoints to my GPS unit.

Attached is a screen shot of how I named the waypoints for an upcoming trip to the West coast. All of the waypoints were created using the PC Mapsource program. (I'm writing this on a Mac, so please don't be put off by the way it looks because it is in the beta Mac version of Mapsource, "Bobcat".)

After spending a significant amount of time learning how to use Mapsource, I have found it to be a powerful trip planning tool. One of the coolest features is being able to view your routes in "google earth".

By the way, reversing a route with this methodology is easy - just follow the waypoints in decending order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008V1.1..jpg
Views:	41
Size:	385.1 KB
ID:	18069  

Jim S.
'07 SturmGrau K1200LT

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in