What trailer/else to transport multiple big bikes? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2008, 8:11 am Thread Starter

What trailer/else to transport multiple big bikes?

What trailer/else do you guys use to transport multiple big bikes?

Soon I'll need to tow two or even three large machines (my LT + GS stable and posibly a Connie).

I have a small Chariot trailer that I occasionally use - it is very convenient, but has a capacity of just one bike.

I just got rid of my 3-rail trailer shown below. It really was only suited for dirt bikes or small dual-sports. The GS and KLR shown in the picture were stretching it - these bikes did not allow the use of middle rail anymore.

Ideally, I am looking for suggestions of something capable of holding 3 touring bikes (at least two). Something that I could load by myself is preferred.

In your travels, did you encounter something that you could recommend?

This is what I used for my DS outings: too small for two full-blown tourers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2008, 9:04 am

Re: What trailer/else to transport multiple big bikes?

You're probably looking at something with a GVWR of around 3000 lbs. I was shopping earlier this year and could find heavy duty 5x10 utility trailers with a 4" fold up ramp and plank beds and 15" wheels for around $2K.

But I lusted for a little more and started watching the for sale sections on a number of forums; ultimately, I found a little used four year old version of this (lacks only the LED lighting): http://www.diamondctrailers.com/trai...-4mt-l10cs.htm

While it lists for about $3600 new, I paid $1500 for it; I'd seen a couple of other similar trailers (a nice BigTex version, for example) offered at a similar price.

Fortunately, I was looking four months in advance of the trip I was planning.

Last edited by ljjohns; May 23rd, 2008 at 9:12 am.
post #3 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2008, 3:53 pm

i haul the LT, and my wifes VStar 1100 Custom, with almost 4 feet to spare on the back of my 6x12 trailer. it is a 2k rated one axle, with 2 Baxley chocks.

edit..Lt and her VLX on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067_(Medium).jpg
Views:	827
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	17998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068_(Medium).jpg
Views:	447
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	17999   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069_(Medium).jpg
Views:	146
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	18000  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER

Last edited by mconlogue; May 23rd, 2008 at 4:17 pm. Reason: add pictures

post #4 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2008, 7:57 pm

I suggest that you get an enclosed trailer if you are thinking of pulling your BMW...

That way you don't embarrass the rest of us.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2008, 8:00 pm

I have a Horton Hauler 16' x 8' V-nose enclosed.

I don't know about LTs... But I have fit four dressed Harley's... and a buell.
Man that was a lot of weight!

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2008, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
i haul the LT, and my wifes VStar 1100 Custom, with almost 4 feet to spare on the back of my 6x12 trailer. it is a 2k rated one axle, with 2 Baxley chocks.
Mike, how do you keep the LT from bottoming-out on the trailer's ramp? I had a 4x8 trailer, similar height off the ground, similar ramp dimensions. My '05's center stand wouldn't clear the transition between the ramp and the trailer bed.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 18 Old May 23rd, 2008, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
I suggest that you get an enclosed trailer if you are thinking of pulling your BMW...

That way you don't embarrass the rest of us.
When placing the original post, I was wondering how long will it take for a comment like that. 12 hours, longer than I thought.

There are good reasons for pulling a bike just as there are for riding - I do not subscribe to the ride-at-any-cost school. I don't have anything to prove. For example, I can do a solo run to loop Gaspe in a weekend and I have been known to ride up to Montreal for dinner, returning next morning (too much BAC otherwise). But when with my wife, I will gently tow out a bike to an interesting area and then do loops over there.

Or, I am going for a weekend ride, en-route picking up my brother who lives 200 miles away and has no bike of his own. Needless to say, loading the GS on the back of my LT is a bit cumbersome... Better ideas?

Anyway: thanks, all, for your input.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Last edited by rdwalker; May 23rd, 2008 at 11:37 pm.
post #8 of 18 Old May 24th, 2008, 5:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
When placing the original post, I was wondering how long will it take for a comment like that. 12 hours, longer than I thought.

There are good reasons for pulling a bike just as there are for riding - I do not subscribe to the ride-at-any-cost school. I don't have anything to prove.

Well good... Now we have found another BMW rider who can't take a joke.
That is Super! F' in' cry baby.
Lighten up and get a clue. Life is to short.

And I suppose my second post that descibes my trailer didn't help your thought process.

I transport bikes in a trailer and have done so for the last fifteen or so years.
He11, I am on my third bike trailer.
I gave you the best option that I have found to date.

Apparently, you don't want experienced advise.

Maybe you should have posted this topic on the Harley forum?
Since the Beemer riders can't satisfy you.

Visit
post #9 of 18 Old May 24th, 2008, 7:46 am

I have a Cargo Express enclosed drop down door 16' x 8', I think new it was $4800. I believe empty it weighs 2800 lbs. I had two bikes in it once. I think you can fit three, but its a tight fit. I use it to haul all my vending stuff plus one bike. Loaded it weighs in at 6800 lbs. One thing I might mention, whatever trailer you get make sure it has some decent tires on it. Mine came with some Chinese off brand crap, they lasted 6 months before they started cracking, my trailer dealer made good and for a few bucks I up graded to Goodyear Marathons. These too were made in China but they are performing very well so far.
post #10 of 18 Old May 24th, 2008, 10:56 am

My LT hauler, so I do not embarrass others...... I use a wheellock, which easy for one person. Have had four RTPs in there, very tight, but it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0675.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	18008   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0676.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	18009   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0677.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	18010  

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #11 of 18 Old May 24th, 2008, 4:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Mike, how do you keep the LT from bottoming-out on the trailer's ramp? I had a 4x8 trailer, similar height off the ground, similar ramp dimensions. My '05's center stand wouldn't clear the transition between the ramp and the trailer bed.

I have never had an issue, but I also can straddle the bike while walking it "over the hump". You can change the angle slightly by cranking down the tongue stand without unhooking from the truck, and lifting the front of the trailer, (and back of the truck!).

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #12 of 18 Old May 24th, 2008, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
I have never had an issue, but I also can straddle the bike while walking it "over the hump". You can change the angle slightly by cranking down the tongue stand without unhooking from the truck, and lifting the front of the trailer, (and back of the truck!).
Of course! I never thought of that. Isn't it nice that the simplest solution can be the best solution?

Thanks.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Howard- I have an enclosed trailer you can use if needed. It has room for two bikes - even LTs.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 6:58 pm
Super Moderator

SAFETY TOPIC - SAFETY TOPIC - SAFETY TOPIC - SAFETY TOPIC

This is just a general warning about trailering bikes with servo brakes and especially the LT - which I did for 4 years. This will not address the tie down procedure, the type of ties, the size of the trailer, the wheel chock or any of that stuff. This is a warning to remind you of a few habits of the LT regarding brakes and potentially falling over when loading and unloading!!!

Loading:

1. I would always load going down hill onto the trailer. This means that the ramp should be either level or tilted in a downward direction. This will eliminate the hump as discussed earlier.

2. Always have side boards or a ramp wide enough so you can place your feet down to balance when on the ramp.

3. Start the LT up and run around the area until the ABS light turns off - now the brakes will work with servo control. Do not stop and turn off the bike thinking that it is warmed up - as a restart will not reset / restart the ABS and servos. Only running the wheels will reset the ABS.

4. Drive on slowly using brakes, clutch and gas as conditions require.

5. Try to have spotter to make sure you enter the wheel chock area accurately.

Unloading:

1. You should always unload (backing up) going uphill - same exact direction / position as you loaded.

2. Why you ask?? - well the brakes will not be functioning since the ABS will not be reset as you are going backwards at a very low speed and there may not be enough wheel spin to make the computer program turn off the ABS light and in turn activate the servos. Oh you will have some braking power but they are not responsive and they would be very weak.

3. You will need to use reverse and this will be the only way to positively control your motion - ability not to over accelerate / loose control while engaged in reverse.

So ask me how I know - dropped twice once loading and once unloading. I was lucky just a few damaged parts.

I gave up on a trailer to place the bike on and now I pull a Unigo - different issues!

Please be careful as this 850# bike is unforgiving once it starts to fall.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Jun 3rd, 2008 at 7:05 pm.
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 7:17 pm

Thanks for calling attention to stuff those of us doing a load for the first time might not think of!
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 8:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsciullo
Howard- I have an enclosed trailer you can use if needed. It has room for two bikes - even LTs.
Jim
Thanks, Jim. I knew you had a nice enclosed trailer but didn't want to put you in a difficult situation by asking if I could borrow it, and having you say "no".

Knowing this, I may take you up on it some time. Not for the trip starting tomorrow, but at a later date.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:57 pm

Hey,

I just got a used Anderson LS614 trailer which is 6 X 14. I believe that I can fit three bikes on it although I have not yet tried. I know two will fit with some extra space.

http://www.andersontrailers.com/util...lers/LS612.pdf

You can see it on that web site.

Good luck,
Glenn
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 7th, 2008, 11:00 am

Anyone carry their LT in the back of a truck? I pull a travel trailer for long weekends and want to carry the bike with us without having to invest into a toy hauler right now. Thanks for any input.
Ken

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in